Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: My favorite non-human gardening companion is...

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 72, Views: 625
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin
Schenectady, NY

May 16, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8566889

There are a total of 186 votes:

My faithful dog! (Does he/she participate or observe?)
(59 votes, 31%)
Red dot

Cats are my garden companions.
(49 votes, 26%)
Red dot

I have farm animals that help by contributing compost material!
(5 votes, 2%)
Red dot

The birds are my companions.
(42 votes, 22%)
Red dot

I have unigue wildlife garden companions. (tell us!)
(7 votes, 3%)
Red dot

My faithful garden toad catches insects for me.
(6 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Other. (tell us!)
(18 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 16, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8566959

I voted faithful dog but her participation is not always in a good way!!!! She is still a puppy and loves to chew black plastic pots.
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8567066

Hard to say that anyone are my "favorites".
Cats think my garden is an enlarged litter box just
for them.
Guinea hens and birds will eat any seeds I spread.
Skunks, raccoons, possums & deer think me putting
up fences is a silly idea.

Last year the deer herd just bent my wire fence to
reach the veggies growing there. The others burrowed
their way in. In all a really frustrating experience.
Lattice is a bit cost prohibitive all at once so we're
doing it in sections.Did I mention the garden was
about 1/4 acre?
holeth
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8567237

Many "critters" over many yrs. Most noteworthy:

Many generations of shrews, keeping insects in balance.

A meadow vole of 6 yrs I named "chocolate" for "her" color. "She" became quite habituated/friendly. "She" would sit 3-4 ft away from me munching away& looking right up at me. It was like having an outdoor pet that fed in the garden. "She" kind of looked like a hamster. I was easily attached. If "she" ever got seriously destructive, that might have changed. (I never saw any pups, but extreme variences in size make me suspect that "she" was female.)

A few yrs of regular visits from hummingbirds & look-alike sphinx moths.

Recently, friendly nemeses:
Grazers/browsers-deer,bunnies,Canada geese, THAT^ #$&*!!! Groundhog!, &a chipmunk that likes aster rhizomes. (I move the surviving asters, he moves his burrow! I'm tired.)

The groundhog may be my strongest rival, but a few yrs ago I had a problem. With vanishing plants from my patio containers. It wasn't specific to any family/ host plant, & damage was @ soil level, so I thought perhaps I had cutworm or army moths. After stakeouts & failed catterpillar "tape," I discovered a single tiny animal leveled my entire garden: a harvest mouse. I caught him in a humane trap & released him the next day in a non-maintained tallgrass area at the border between a large athletic complex & several farms. As we were driving away, a red-tailed hawk swooped in. I don't know if the mouse got away or eaten.

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8567295

While I have 3 dogs that typically "help" me in the garden, I enjoy most seeing the lizards, toads, birds and butterflies that accompany me. I love listening to the birds sing while I "play" ~ and seeing the occasional visitor to my garden is a real bonus!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8567351

The neighbor's young cat, "Moon Pie" is energetic and curious about everything. He inspects and tries on for size, any hole I dig. He hides behind the raised beds and "surprises" me. He "hunts" for things and pounces but never seems to catch whatever it is he is hunting. Whenever he sees me in the garden, he climbs the chain link fence and comes running. He also loves to roll around in dirt piles, mulch piles, compost piles and takes winter naps in the raised beds. He also checks out all buckets, baskets and boxes thoroughly. When I stop for a rest on the bench, he also rests... in my lap and often takes a nap. He's entertaining and his enjoying my presence feels good to me.

This message was edited May 16, 2011 3:21 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8567354

My husband, Jack. He's a good gardener, helps me when needed and he's such a good sport.

Edited to add that I just noticed "non-human". Jack will get a kick out of being a non-human.

This message was edited May 16, 2011 9:51 PM

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8567372

Here is photo of Moon Pie. In the center of the black saddle shaped patch on his back, a white crescent moon is visible. He loves being with people and all the neighbors enjoy interacting with him.

Thumbnail by steadycam3

Penannophia
Whitehouse Station, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8567809

My orange tabby cat loves to find a shady spot in the garden and snooze while I weed and my pet potbelly pigs always hang around nearby waiting for the dandelion greens. The pigs' pet toad sits smack the middle of their water dish in the evenings and catches whatever is flying around the floodlight. Still, I think my favorite was the ruby-throated hummingbird that sat on the garden fence a couple of years ago and chirped at me until he got my attention. Then, when I held still, he flew up for a sip from the hose that I was using to hand water some plants. That was the most amazing experience for me.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8567842

3 dogs and a cat.. my cat usually just lays in the garden and watches while the dogs try to help by nosing and wanting to see EVERYTHING I am doing.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8567893

I voted for my dogs. Sam has been in the garden for about 13 years now and he knows the rules--no digging, no pooping on pathways, stay on pathways and out of the flowers, etc. Nikko is my newest addition. He spent most of his life in a cage in a shelter. Now he has a big beautiful world to play in. Everything in the yard is there just to amuse him, he is certain. But it's refreshing to watch someone else enjoy my gardens as much as I do. Nikko loves ornamental grasses and has thoroughly wallered down some soft rush. He goes fishing in my ponds everyday and fishes out the water plants. I sneak around behind him and throw them back in the ponds, only to find them on the ponds edge the next day.

Both dogs are in the irrigation and fertilization department and take their jobs seriously. You will two when you step in a stinking pile. LOL But if it weren't for these two guys, my gardens would never get fertilized and they might not get watered during a drought. Thank you, my furry little buddies!

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser

GrayThumb
Lost in the Woods, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8567971

I have the cutest little snake that lives under the porch and slithers in and out the crack between the porch and house and watches me garden... and a skunk. Haven't seen the latter, but I have smelled him/her early in the a.m.

There is a robins' nest on the top of the porch/under the eaves that overlooks the garden. The babies are cute and the singing is beautiful.

The doves, cardinals, and sparrows are nice, too. The starlings and grackles not so much. The squirrels are fun to watch, but they're really veggie monsters in disguise...

This message was edited May 16, 2011 7:19 PM

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8568218

I have all kinds of gardening companions: cats, birds, butterflies, turtles, you name it. Lately, the two stray cats that adopted me have decided that they really enjoy hanging out with me in the garden, so much so that they squabble over who gets to 'garden' with me and who's going to leave.

My dog is a very tiny and wimpy Maltese. He is SO not a normal dog. He can't stand to get his feet wet and doesn't like to stay outside more than a very few minutes. It's always too something out there for him: too cold, too hot, too windy, too wet, and so on. I'm not kidding. After about 5 min outside, he will go and sit on the door facing to signal that he's had enough and ready to go back inside. Thus, at my house, cats rule in the garden.
toni5735
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2011
12:22 AM

Post #8568559

Every time I plop myself down to do some weeding, Skipper likes to jump in my lap and make himself comfortable which means I have to stop doing what I'm doing and love on him instead. He's my buddy.

Thumbnail by toni5735

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

May 17, 2011
2:42 AM

Post #8568596

I have many guests to my garden, most are destructive, like ground hogs, voles, mice and rabbits. I do appreciate the garter snakes and toads but I think I would have to vote for the many night crawlers, that continually keep providing me with their castings, keeping the garden soil rich in nutrients for the veggies. They work tirelessly and even provide me with fresh bait to go fishing and relaxation on a river bank, after a satisfying day in the garden. Not too bad of a reward, feed a few fish and take three or four home for supper to go along with the veggies.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2011
4:57 AM

Post #8568721

My 3 cats join me in the garden everytime I go outside.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8568892

That Skipper is adorable! I'd have to love on him too if he were in my garden. Non-human companions are some of my favorite people. :-)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8568911

I'm torn between the lizards that are helping keep down my mosquito population, and the herds of Assassin Bugs that are patroling the grounds beneath every one of my tomato planters, and keeping ALL the buggies off my tomatoes!

Strange bedfellows, but I'll keep 'em! They're earning their keep!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

nilly
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2011
8:02 AM

Post #8569049

I am guardian to two indoor animal companions, a house rabbit and a cat. So when I am in the garden I socialize with the birds, speak to the neighbors' dogs (behind fences), and watch for the garden roaming cats. I always hope I'll find a toad but haven't yet. I was STUNNED to find a salamander last month! I disturbed its home underneath the grass killing carpet I had laid in preparation for the veggie bed and I don't know whaere he went, but there are other places for him to live soI hope I'll see him or his descendants again.
TexasTam
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8569063

The mockingbirds are always lurking nearby while I garden, waiting for me to toss them a grub or caterpillar.

But I particularly enjoy the little jumping spiders that hang around my patio. They perch on top of the chairs and actually turn and watch me as I move around - curious and cute little guys that I love having around.

Eleven

Eleven
Royal Oak, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8569101

I checked other, for our chipmunk population, but my cats also like to watch me from the protection of their enclosed balcony.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8569150

I went with birds. I love to weed midweek with nothing but the birds and leaves in the breeze making a noise (weekends are much noisier with various gas propelled machines and implements).

My cat does often join me, but she is more of an annoyance than a companion - she tends to lay right where I am weeding or decide the weeds in my hand are an enemy to be vanquished.

My dog also hangs close by and often hunts for moles -which I allow as she occasionally catches them.

Thumbnail by bonehead

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8569378

I could have voted for my little dog, Chloe, because she follows me every where. But I chose "birds" because they are far more useful in the garden.

This morning, I watched as four chickadees pecked at things on the tomato leaves. Don't know what they were eating, but I'm sure it was something I didn't need!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8569404

Miss Isis is my constant companion while gardening, summer or winter.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 17, 2011
11:35 AM

Post #8569442

2 labs that try to "defend" the yard and think that laying in my day lilies is helping me (I have to leave a vacant spot for them to relax or risk losing more plants)- a cat that thinks she is a squirrel and climbs so high in the tree she has to get down by getting on the roof - a cat that wonders wherever she pleases - many birds, bugs and worms. I hope my hummers come soon. I am ready for them!

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8569774

I tend to get a few unwanted visitors too; finding a plant completely dug up (not always eaten, just pulled up!). I've had squirrels dig up my elephant ear bulbs and gnaw on them. I've also had them "help me" to "relocate" bulbs - yesterday I found a pretty Rain Lily bloom SO not where I'd planted it--at the base of a sweet gum tree. Sneaky things.

I love hearing the mockingbirds, mourning doves, cardinals and chickadees in my garden. But I have to admit I just LOVE it when I'm out a TAD too late in the day because I get to hear the owls hoot, see the bats flying overhead, and listen to the katydids sing.

Unlike others here, I've not yet trained my furry friends to NOT "water" and "fertilize" my garden ;-(

I DO however, enjoy running across a fresh pile of bunny poo, or deer droppings, or even fox poo. To me, that's neat to know they've been around, even if I don't see them *smile*
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8569874

This year I have been inundated with Chameleon lizards. Green one minute, brown the next. Then they get excited and puff that red throat up like a balloon. They are everywhere. Blessed.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8569915

the 4 yorkies... Lily will help chase chipmunks.. Jily barks at birds.. and the two pups try to eat every plant they can get a hold of

:)>

they get there own tomato plants... Lily will sniff them to see when they are ripe, pick and eat them.. Jily is a goof and eats green ones.. don't know what Hope & Eros are going to do yet.. soon find out
sarahn
Milton, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8570239

Last summer I did a little strawbale gardening and attracted one or two toads. I'm not sure if it was the same one or not. The strawbales supported way too many slugs which the toads greatly appreciated.!.
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8570715

Other

I selected "Other" for a small flock of guineas. They are very good at eliminating garden pests without damaging the garden. They can see and eat very small insects. Last year they stopped an outbreak of flea beetles "in its tracks" in my garden. Guineas are also very good at eliminating ticks. The book, Gardening with Guineas, has a lot of information on the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/Gardening-Guineas-Step---Step-Raising/dp/0739202502/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305689037&sr=1-1

Guineas could be a noise problem in town, but out in the country they are a great gardening companion.

ZM
(not associated with any product or vendor mentioned)
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8571053

With the tick problems I have here, I need to check and see if I'm allowed to have Guineas. I'll put up with the noise if they take care of the ticks!! And with all the dogs in this area barking at all hours, how can the neighbors complain.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8571118

BUTTERFLIES!!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 18, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8571237

Guineas would be nice - but I think the dogs would chase and eat them...that would then defeat the purpose I suppose ;)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8571320

EEEEkk!! guineas would eat my butterfly caterpillars!!!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8571634

My old BC lays around and gives me moral support but the horses, goats and chickens contribute fertilizer. We all one big happy family. I am hoping the terrier puppy will decide to help me eradicate the chipmunks that are destroying my onions and beans.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8571720

Guess I could have included my rat terrier that digs and eats grubs!

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8572131

My cats dont get outside unless I am gardening..its a treat for them and entertainment for me, watching them chase butterflies, moths, whatever else that is flying around..oh yes, especially chasing grasshoppers..their favorite past time while outside.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8572333

I have several formerly feral kitties that I spayed, neutered, vaccinated, and mostly tamed, who supervise my every move outside. They make sure I take breaks, by insisting on occasional belly rubs!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8572944

I miss my gardening companion.. but he is always on my mind when I go out to my back yard gardens.. now the birds and squirrells and rabbits are all I have..

Thumbnail by joeswife

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
10:18 PM

Post #8573069

Birds! There's a cheeky Carolina Wren I especially like.. not only is he cute and willing to come quite boldly close (especially if he thinks there might be peanut butter), he also snaps up a lot of insects that might otherwise nibble on my plants!
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8573303

I have yet to find any faithful companions that are not already present in my garden aka. toads, worms, praying mantids, ladybugs, spiders. Cats, Dogs, Deer, Snails Foxes, Skunks, Birds have all ruined something for my at some time in my gfardening experience
Cats and Dogs dig up prized plants, Deer eat them as well as snails, Fox scat is highly germy and carries alot of diseases, Skunks, need I say more, and Birds although they eat bad bugs also drop foreign seeds that can overgrow especially in busy times when weeding is neglected.
Even my daughters i love them to be involved, but both seem to want to reap the rewards (flowers/fruits) without doing any of the work associated.
So I am the lone gardener, but I have it as my sanctuary, and it help me keep my sanity...:0)
Have a great day
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

May 19, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8573624

Non-human companions are some of my favorite people. :-) I totally agree butterfly chaser.

My place is next to a 50 acre abandoned farm, so there are a lot of animals in my yard. In fact, there are so many wild rabbits, I named my place "Rabbit Hill". My neighbor has peacocks and goats, and both animals seem to know when me and my dogs are working outside. We get a seranade.

And then there are Mockingbirds. And in deep summer, the droning cicadas.

Im not sure about all of the night stalkers--they clean up any leftover catfood, or dog food that got left out in the yard. Some of them are possums, but there are also ferrel cats and other critters I haven't identified yet.

And I almost forgot--the sneaky snakes. Its always a surprise to see them, especially basking on a tree limb.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8574500

Rosie is my neighbor's cat, but she spends a lot of time in my yard, so she's my garden companion ... my four kitties are strictly indoor cats ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8574522

awww too sweet

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
the Highland Rim of
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8575950

My carpenter bees. They always come check me out when I am out there. They fly right up in front of me as if to look in my face and check out who it is ... it really is like they can see me and recognize me. They are great. :-)
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8576262

Ooo, I'll send mine to you, then, lol! They are drilling holes all over the eaves of our house. That is interesting, though, how they just buzz up to you and hover, like they're just making sure you're not an enemy.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8576830

My newly adopted/ formerly fostered dog, is part Bull Terrier and as you know they are ratters, those terriers are, so though well intended, he has holes dug trying to get gophers, the size of a casket. I still voted for him because he has not dug up my plants and has got a few gophers. I hate those evil vermin.

Thumbnail by hellnzn11

gloria125
Greensboro, AL

May 21, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8577549

Oh. I can tell by his eyes he is going to be a great dog!

My dogs don't bother garden plants except for day lilies. They dig holes to sit in the fresh dirt. Roscoe likes to pee on the garlic. Emma's favorite is too pull invasive vines out of the ground. Chinese wisteria! Grrr. Grrr.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8577600

Thanks. Dang their good intentions. lol Mine loves nursery pots too.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8577778

Hmm, now that would give your garlic dishes a new undertone, wouldn't it? LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8577797

"A nice garlicy flavor with an undertone of...is that dog I taste?"
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8577802

LOL Eeeeew!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8577810

Yeah, sorry. LOL

Hellnzn11, your pup is adorable.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8578025

Don't eat Italian food at Gloria's house.

This is my other garden partner, she chases off the rabbits, to keep them off my plants. I love her.

Thumbnail by hellnzn11

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8578028

Note the brown nose. Evidence of distruction pending.

Thumbnail by hellnzn11

hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8578031

oops wrong picture. Nevermind. Trust me the nose is always brown.
serenaski
Traverse City, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8578103

Wow the wording of this little pole is a bit prejudiced against cats. I have an indoor cat, who very faithfully follows me around while I do the gardening, and he likes very much to 'help'. No leash needed he knows when it is gardening season and will stay right in the garden with me. I think he prefers the soft garden soil to the grass. He's been my bud for 14 years, I also have a corgi who couldn't care less about my gardens, she just wants to eat rabbit poop and bird seed.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

May 21, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8578325

It always amazes me that dogs like rabbit poop, but rabbits don't like dog poop at all (they don't like dogs either, usually, for that matter).

Every year I plan to move my garlic out of the dog's reach, but Roscoe usually marks it every year before I get around to it.

Nope, I don't use that garlic to cook with! Its blooming now. Maybe next year Ill move it.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8578471

lol
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8578476

LOL, good thing they make flowers.
Dawn, your doggies are all such sweet-looking, beautiful babies.
Serenaski, gardening with kitties is a delight I look forward to every day. I almost hate to pull the weeds that they love to play in, hiding in them and ambushing each other!
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8578496

Thanks Renee. Where did all our peeps go? Yander! Not been the same since.

Cats are so hysterical. Wish I could have them. Doggies here, though cute have huge prey drive as mentioned, so no kitties for moir.
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2011
11:34 PM

Post #8578728

I voted my dog, a wonderful little Yorkie named Shaggy. he just watches but barks if the phone rings.
Downside he buries things in my containers! Grrrr
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2011
5:27 AM

Post #8579000

I voted for birds. They have made it possible, while working hard to feed their growing families, for me to have a great Spring greens garden with no worms and thus no spray.

We have two large dogs, one a Plotthound and the other a Shepard/probable Malamute. They are banned from the garden. The Plotthound eats small tomatoes off the vines and the other leaves dessert plate-sized craters in the soil. He has a special talent for landing on the seedlings. They both try to help by double digging areas with fresh bone meal or manure. They are champion speed excavators when it comes to voles, digging as fast as the creatures can move through the tunnels. Every year, at least once, I go out to the early garden and see days of planting tossed like a salad, tags everywhere. They prefer a less organized, casual cottage look in the veggie garden. There is a fence around the perimeter but they are both ambitious and clever. The fenced acre they have to roam about and get into trouble will not always do. They are born gardeners.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8579287

ROFL Maypop, you should be a writer (maybe you are?)! Your hilarious descriptions produce vivid mental imagery!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8579371

Thank you KYWoods. I enjoy writing though I'm no pro. I was in the garden this morning trying to figure out how to get climbing sweet peas, relocated by my two master gardeners during a transplanting frenzy, to reach over to the fence. Argh!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2011
10:23 AM

Post #8579496

Lizards, God bless them
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8579826

My dog goes to the yard and rose garden with me. He is strictly a house dog and does not like the heat. I voted 2 times, first for birds and then for the dog, but the birds are always there, summer and winter. Luciee {;^)
GrayThumb
Lost in the Woods, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8582098

hellnzn11 wrote:Cats are so hysterical. Wish I could have them. Doggies here, though cute have huge prey drive as mentioned, so no kitties for moir.

Our Siberian Huskies, like most Siberian Huskies, have a huge prey drive...

Siberian Huskies = no squirrels, no moles, no chipmunks, no voles, no gophers, no stray cats...

Siberian Huskies also = trenches in the ground, terrible lawn, holes under fences, dug up garden, eaten veggies, fruits, and herbs

Siberian Huskies = great playmates for our cats because we give them no choice. Everyone ends up with everyone's fur on them. ;-)

DougBert
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2011
12:09 PM

Post #8584581

Worms of course, without them the garden would be a waste land.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8584623

I've waited patiently and my dunce cap still has not arrived. Melody, you did send it, didn't you?
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8584781

ROFL
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 28, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8592326

I have new garden buddies lately. The cardinals that are nesting in my pine are keeping a close watch on all the activity. And the Orioles are always close by looking for grape jelly. There are about 6 that have called my backyard their personal restaurant. Still waiting for my hummingbirds to take up residence. Have only seen 2 (or one twice) so far.
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8595756

Ihave recently hatched praying mantids in my main gardening area, I have not been in the yard once in about two weeks where I have not come to the deck with out a little hitchhiker...LOL. The tree frogs babies have hatched out of my topless bird bath. The dogwood tree trunk was just covered in them today...I even went out at dusk to hear them sing.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America