The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving

(Zone 9a)

Does anyone have this book? I am looking for a recipe for strawberry preserves calling for the berries, a granny smith apple, pineapple juice concertrate lemon juice, lemon rind, vanilla and just 2 T of sugar. Unfortunatly I do not have the amounts or directions. Strawberries are about to be finished for the season around here so I an in a rush and do not have time to order the book.
The author is Ellie Topp

I would really appreciate it if someone can share that recipe.

TIA, alice

St. Helens, OR(Zone 8b)

I'm on my second copy of Topp's book.

I saved myself some typing time and found the recipe (Light Strawberry Pineapple Spread) online, though they didn't credit Topp. I always am irked by that.

http://www.niagarathisweek.com/website/niagarathisweek/article/186630--recipes-to-prepare-for-strawberry-season

The one difference has to do with processing. The jars don't need to be sterilized and the spread should be boiling water bathed for 10 minutes. Since it's a low-sugar spread, even canned and unopened the shelf life will be shorter.

Carol

(Zone 9a)

THANK YOU, from St. Helena to St. Helens, I really appreciate your finding it. I had googled and googled but I guess I wasn't using the right terms.
I usually freeze my low sugar jams in those tiny 4 oz. jars so I can take out a litte at a time. It helps keep the colors bright, it is so warm and humid here they turn dark in a hurry.

St. Helens, OR(Zone 8b)

Good point about freezing. I can't say it's that warm and humid here! We've had a wet and chilly spring. Our garden isn't even planted yet. But when the strawberries come on in June, they'll be wonderful.

Now I'm going to have to look up Saint Helena Island. It's always fun to explore another part of the country, even if it's only online.

Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images