-
AuthorContent
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8566908

Does anyone have this book? I am looking for a recipe for strawberry preserves calling for the berries, a granny smith apple, pineapple juice concertrate lemon juice, lemon rind, vanilla and just 2 T of sugar. Unfortunatly I do not have the amounts or directions. Strawberries are about to be finished for the season around here so I an in a rush and do not have time to order the book.
The author is Ellie Topp

I would really appreciate it if someone can share that recipe.

TIA, alice
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2011
10:11 PM

Post #8570810

I'm on my second copy of Topp's book.

I saved myself some typing time and found the recipe (Light Strawberry Pineapple Spread) online, though they didn't credit Topp. I always am irked by that.

http://www.niagarathisweek.com/website/niagarathisweek/article/186630--recipes-to-prepare-for-strawberry-season

The one difference has to do with processing. The jars don't need to be sterilized and the spread should be boiling water bathed for 10 minutes. Since it's a low-sugar spread, even canned and unopened the shelf life will be shorter.

Carol
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2011
12:24 AM

Post #8570865

THANK YOU, from St. Helena to St. Helens, I really appreciate your finding it. I had googled and googled but I guess I wasn't using the right terms.
I usually freeze my low sugar jams in those tiny 4 oz. jars so I can take out a litte at a time. It helps keep the colors bright, it is so warm and humid here they turn dark in a hurry.

Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8571630

Good point about freezing. I can't say it's that warm and humid here! We've had a wet and chilly spring. Our garden isn't even planted yet. But when the strawberries come on in June, they'll be wonderful.

Now I'm going to have to look up Saint Helena Island. It's always fun to explore another part of the country, even if it's only online.

Carol

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America