Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Mid-May in the hosta garden

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I enjoyed Paul's thread with all his hosta photos, so I thought I'd post a few of my own and invite others to post their May hostas. May is such a great month for the hosta garden, with everything springing up new with early season color, no slug holes, and hopefully no other leaf damage. Everything's fresh and beautiful!

Here's a shot of my front walk garden in dappled morning sun. It's a young garden, in its second year. I'm waiting to see how much it fills out as hostas completely unfurl this season...so I can tuck more small hostas in between the existing ones. ;)

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Newly planted 'Blue Wedgwood'

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

'Designer Genes'

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

'June'

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

'Red Dragon'

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

'Regal Splendor'

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

'Sagae'

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

'Wolverine' looks great emerging.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Very pretty! Isn't it nice seeing something besides snow? Your Sagae is gorgeous!

Rose

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Those are looking great, Kayly. This is just the best time of year, when everything is new and pristine. Slugs got off to an early start and ate holes in a couple of mine, ruining their perfection...I tell you I can spot those holes from across the yard and it annoys me so much! But I'm on the hunt now and hopefully I'll stay ahead of them.

My garden is a wreck because I've got a couple projects going on, but here are some shots.

Spring Fling seems aptly named- it looks especially perky this time of year. This one stayed in this pot all winter and seems to have come through just fine.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Aliyah's Grace, dug up for now because I was reworking my fountain area and didn't want to step out. This one is growing so well.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

My three big 'uns, Regal Splendor, Elegans, and Parhelion. All were the most damaged last year from the microburst and hail, but all seem to have recovered. RS looks like it might be a little smaller this year, but Parhelion and Elegans are bigger. The guy behind me cut down ALL the trees along our property line so these will all get more sun this year. I'm not thrilled about that- I will miss the privacy feel we had.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

This one was new last year and it is by far the brightest Spring color hosta I have. It's hosta 'Nancy'- also went from one or two to five eyes, so I hope that means it will keep growing well.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

'Spring Fling' and 'Nancy' really caught my eye, Noreaster! And they're all lovely. I'm so glad to hear that your hostas are recovering from last year's storm. Nature is so resilient.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Nice pics above. Love Kaly's Sagae - one I don't have and won't have because I have such limited space.

Noreaster - does the 'Nancy' stay that yellow all season? How would you compare it to Fire Island? I bought Nancy for a friend with that name but she lost it. Just debating whether to buy one for myself and eventually giver her some.

Ann, I dont have Fire Island, so I can't compare. It is quite a bit brighter than all my other gold hosta at the moment. Also, its just the second season so I don't know about the color change- I believe its supposed to be a gold/ chartreuse hosta. In my shady garden it will probably go more to the green. It should have thick, shiny leaves and is a small, so I'm sure you would enjoy it in your garden.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

'Designer Genes' is my really gold/chartreuse hosta and it does hold that color all season. Is 'Fire Island' a sport? Can't remember. Either way, I love the color of 'Designer Genes' with those screamin' yellow-green leaves and red petioles. I suppose that's why I liked 'Nancy' so much when I saw Noreaster's pic. That and the wavy leaves. I seem to have a thing for ruffles this year, since I've already acquired 'Elvis Lives,' 'Clovelly,' and 'Queen of the Seas.'

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

'Designer Genes' is a 'Miss Susie' hybrid.

'Fire Island' is longipes f. hypoglauca x 'Crested Surf' and 'Paradise Island' (which I just bought) is a sport of 'Fire Island'.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Well, there you have it, then! Thanks, Ann! I was too lazy (tired) to look it up. :)

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

So far, my Fire Island looks more yellow than both Nancy and Designer Genes appear in those pics:

Thumbnail by Eleven
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

The My Hostas data base (www.myhostas.be) is very useful for that sort of thing. Easier to get to than my Hostapedia.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Yep, my 'Designer Genes' does appear more chartreuse.

My 'Paradise Island' should be arriving from Hallson's today along with 'Alex Summers,' 'Journey's End,' and 'Rainbow's End.' Now I'll need the rain to fizzle out this afternoon so I can get them planted. :)

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Kayly, we're hosta twinsies! I got Alex Summers and Journey's End from Hallson's two years ago then got Paradise Island and Rainbow's end this spring! Here's my new Paradise Island:

Thumbnail by Eleven
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

We are twinsies! I think it goes to show we have great taste in hostas. ;)

My order just came. Chris does such a beautiful job. These hostas look gorgeous! Now I have to go get them planted. It's not raining anymore, so I hope the ground is not too soggy.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, wow I love looking at other folks gardens/plants. I planted more hosta yesterday and said I am done! Well, maybe just a couple more lol.
Kayly, you young garden looks very nice, you will see a big difference by next Spring. Remember the
sleep
creep
leap

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

A couple blue varieties with the old reliable, "Honey Bell" in my border.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

bluegrassmom - I really am looking forward to next year, which is supposed to be the "leap" year for many of my hostas. Although I did plant newbies this year, too. And I expanded the bed. And will probably expand it yet again before long. Less grass, more hostas!

Leawood, I like any hosta that doesn't mind nestling up to a tree. Those look great. :)

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Trees tend to suck all the water out of the soil around them, so hostas are not usually comfortable next to them. I water frequently.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's my newly planted 'Paradise Island' from Hallson's. This was my first Hallson's order, but I am so incredibly impressed by the plants I received. Roots like crazy!

This message was edited May 21, 2011 12:27 PM

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

'Journey's End,' also from Hallson's. This one seems to be still coloring up.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

'Rainbow's End' is also new from Hallson's

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

My bonus hosta from Hallson's, 'El Nino.'

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

People say 'El Nino' and 'Blue Ivory' are basically the same hosta. But I disagree. This is my 'Blue Ivory' in its second year.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

This is 'Roy Klehm' in its second year. It's just starting to get subtle coloring.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

'Regal Splendor' is starting to open up more now. I just love this hosta.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I like the vase-shaped habit!

RS looks fabulous, Kayly! I bet that thing will look full grown by next year. Hallson's is great- I've been so pleased with everything I've ever gotten there.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

hmm, I have heard good things about Hallson's. I have never ordered from them. Do they ever have sales?

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes! Chris has certain hostas on sale most of the time. And there's always an early season sale--I think it's 20% off if you order in winter. Plus he throws in a bonus plant with your order. It was fun getting a surprise with my order.

I will absolutely buy from Hallson's again. The roots on the plants I got far surpassed anything I've ever found on a plant I picked up from a nursery. I had to dig VERY wide holes just to accommodate these extensive roots! And the hostas were incredibly healthy looking.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Oh, and Noreaster, that RS was new last year. It had, if I'm remembering correctly, 8 eyes, which I thought was quite a lot considering I only paid $8 for it. This year I counted 16 eyes as it was emerging! You've gotta love a hosta that doubles its size in the second year in your garden. :D

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.