Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Peaches: homegrown without the hazmat suit?: SoCal Peaches

Communities > Forums > Article: Peaches: homegrown without the hazmat suit?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Peaches: homegrown without the hazmat suit?Replies: 1, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8568103

Golly, I finally start planting some fruit trees, one of which is a peach, then read what a problem they are. The kind I bought is "Mid-Pride Peach". It only needs 250 chill hours, self-fruitful (like that as our small family does not need multiple trees). It is bred for the 'warm winter climates of So Calif, Phoenix, Houston & SF Bay Area. The Houston thing surprises me, because of the humidity there, but I guess they are just talking winter temps, although we all shared more cold than usual this winter. No humidity problems here as we are on the desert side of the coastal mountain range. Just bought it the beginning of April and it had a little peach on it (still there), so I was excited. I have my 3 orange varieties and pomegranate trees on the so/west side of the house where there is lots of sun all year 'round. Also my blackberries. Maybe this will be the year of some fruit growing!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2011
3:27 AM

Post #8568618

That sounds great! As I read, they say you'll have much LESS to worry about with your peaches than here on my east coast.
Its pretty neat that you can accommodate both oranges and peaches. Good using the ol microclimates there! I don't have blackberries but my friend has great luck with them. All in all, I'm sure you'll have some good fruit starting up.
Thanks for reading and commenting!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Peaches: homegrown without the hazmat suit? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Am I missing something? catmad 2 May 13, 2011 7:39 AM
Great info, thanks! catmad 5 May 17, 2011 4:51 AM
Another idea... Landstander 2 May 13, 2011 12:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America