Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Soil and Composting: Algicide question

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 4, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dennis_S
Campobello, SC

May 17, 2011
3:33 AM

Post #8568623

Not sure this is the right place to ask this but I figure there are some soil experts here. I have a 300 gal, rain water tank that will start forming algae very shortly. I bought a bottle of algicide that is used for ponds (including fish). I use the rain water for my vegetable garden. Will the algicide have a negative impact on my soil?
Thanks in advance.
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8572326

What brand is it? If we can figure out what's in it, we'll be able to answer you better.
Dennis_S
Campobello, SC

May 21, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8577661

The brand is "smartpond". Active ingredient: Poly(oxyethylene)(dimethylimino)ethylene(dimethylimino)ethylene. (thats right off the bottle)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8611392

No chemist here. I'd suggest though that 1- do you really have to kill the algae and 2 if this kills algae which is a plant form then use care. but I think all that ethyl ene stuff means it is related to alcohol, and would degrade or evaporate.

Unless the algae will clog your fittings, I don't see the problem with it.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8673991

Synonyms:
- Busan 77
- Polixetonium chloride ,

First, I know nothing about it, and what I read online is as likely to be distorted by authors' agendas. Several sites say "information not available" or "not listed".

The EPA evaluated it (2007?) as "eligible for re-registration", but that doesn't tell me much. The tocicity to humans looks like "you can use it in swiming pools but don't eat it".

http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/busan77-red.pdf
----
The chemical adsorbs strongly to soil, such that a drinking water exposure is not likely. The modeled results for incidental oral exposures, based on the swimming pool use, are higher
----

Toxicity to Plants

Testing has been conducted with Busan 77 on several aquatic and terrestrial plant species. The guideline requirement for an algal toxicity test (850.5400, 123-2) is partially fulfilled. Two additional algal toxicity tests under 850.5400 are outstanding because they do not meet guideline requirements; which require a test with the freshwater green alga, Selenastrum capricornutum, and a test with the marine diatom, Skeletonema costatum. The other non-target aquatic plant toxicity requirement, floating freshwater aquatic macrophyte duckweed (Lemna gibba) guideline 850.4400 - is not satisfied. A study on the rooted freshwater macrophyte rice (Oryza sativa) 850.4225 (seedling emergence test) - has not been submitted.
Table 16. Toxicity to Plants
-------------------------
- mostly "satisfies guidlines", except for Ryegrass, tomatoes, duckweed and one marine diatom and one green alga.

But I don't know how sensitive those tests are.

Corey

>> The chemical adsorbs strongly to soil, such that a drinking water exposure is not likely. The modeled results for incidental oral exposures, based on the swimming pool use, are higher

Intertesting that the MSDS says :
>> Environmental effects This product is toxic to fish.

The OSHA warnings are no more dire than "may cause irritation" and injestion may cause stomach distress, nausea or vomiting.

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemical.jsp?Rec_Id=PC34167

Other names:
01576 (CA DPR Chem Code Text) , 01576 (CA DPR Chem Code) , 069183 (US EPA PC Code Text) ,
1576 (CA DPR Chem Code) , 1576 (CA DPR Chem Code) , 31512-74-0 (CAS number) ,
31512740 , 31512740 (CAS number without hyphens) , 69183 (US EPA PC Code) ,
Busan 77 , Polixetonium chloride ,
POLY OXYETHYLENE (DIMETHYLIMINIO) ETHYLENE (DIMETHYLIMINIO) ETHYLENE DICHLORIDE , Poly(oxy-1,2-ethanediyl(dimethylimino)-1,2-ethanediyl(dimethylimino)-1,2-ethanediyl dichloride) , Poly(oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride) , Poly(oxyethylene) (dimethylimino) ethylene (dimethylimino) ethylene dichloride , Polyoxyethylenedimethyliminoethylenedimethyliminoethylenedichloride , POLY[OXYETHYLENE(DIMETHYLIMINIO)ETHYLENE(DIMETHYLIMINIO)ETHYLENE DICHLORIDE] , WSCP

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America