Not sure this is the right place to ask this but I figure there are some soil experts here. I have a 300 gal, rain water tank that will start forming algae very shortly. I bought a bottle of algicide that is used for ponds (including fish). I use the rain water for my vegetable garden. Will the algicide have a negative impact on my soil?
Thanks in advance.
No chemist here. I'd suggest though that 1- do you really have to kill the algae and 2 if this kills algae which is a plant form then use care. but I think all that ethyl ene stuff means it is related to alcohol, and would degrade or evaporate.
Unless the algae will clog your fittings, I don't see the problem with it.
First, I know nothing about it, and what I read online is as likely to be distorted by authors' agendas. Several sites say "information not available" or "not listed".
The EPA evaluated it (2007?) as "eligible for re-registration", but that doesn't tell me much. The tocicity to humans looks like "you can use it in swiming pools but don't eat it".
The chemical adsorbs strongly to soil, such that a drinking water exposure is not likely. The modeled results for incidental oral exposures, based on the swimming pool use, are higher
Toxicity to Plants
Testing has been conducted with Busan 77 on several aquatic and terrestrial plant species. The guideline requirement for an algal toxicity test (850.5400, 123-2) is partially fulfilled. Two additional algal toxicity tests under 850.5400 are outstanding because they do not meet guideline requirements; which require a test with the freshwater green alga, Selenastrum capricornutum, and a test with the marine diatom, Skeletonema costatum. The other non-target aquatic plant toxicity requirement, floating freshwater aquatic macrophyte duckweed (Lemna gibba) – guideline 850.4400 - is not satisfied. A study on the rooted freshwater macrophyte rice (Oryza sativa) – 850.4225 (seedling emergence test) - has not been submitted.
Table 16. Toxicity to Plants
- mostly "satisfies guidlines", except for Ryegrass, tomatoes, duckweed and one marine diatom and one green alga.
But I don't know how sensitive those tests are.
>> The chemical adsorbs strongly to soil, such that a drinking water exposure is not likely. The modeled results for incidental oral exposures, based on the swimming pool use, are higher
Intertesting that the MSDS says :
>> Environmental effects This product is toxic to fish.
The OSHA warnings are no more dire than "may cause irritation" and injestion may cause stomach distress, nausea or vomiting.