Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Soil and Composting: Algicide question

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 4, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dennis_S
Campobello, SC

May 17, 2011
3:33 AM

Post #8568623

Not sure this is the right place to ask this but I figure there are some soil experts here. I have a 300 gal, rain water tank that will start forming algae very shortly. I bought a bottle of algicide that is used for ponds (including fish). I use the rain water for my vegetable garden. Will the algicide have a negative impact on my soil?
Thanks in advance.
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8572326

What brand is it? If we can figure out what's in it, we'll be able to answer you better.
Dennis_S
Campobello, SC

May 21, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8577661

The brand is "smartpond". Active ingredient: Poly(oxyethylene)(dimethylimino)ethylene(dimethylimino)ethylene. (thats right off the bottle)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8611392

No chemist here. I'd suggest though that 1- do you really have to kill the algae and 2 if this kills algae which is a plant form then use care. but I think all that ethyl ene stuff means it is related to alcohol, and would degrade or evaporate.

Unless the algae will clog your fittings, I don't see the problem with it.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8673991

Synonyms:
- Busan 77
- Polixetonium chloride ,

First, I know nothing about it, and what I read online is as likely to be distorted by authors' agendas. Several sites say "information not available" or "not listed".

The EPA evaluated it (2007?) as "eligible for re-registration", but that doesn't tell me much. The tocicity to humans looks like "you can use it in swiming pools but don't eat it".

http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/busan77-red.pdf
----
The chemical adsorbs strongly to soil, such that a drinking water exposure is not likely. The modeled results for incidental oral exposures, based on the swimming pool use, are higher
----

Toxicity to Plants

Testing has been conducted with Busan 77 on several aquatic and terrestrial plant species. The guideline requirement for an algal toxicity test (850.5400, 123-2) is partially fulfilled. Two additional algal toxicity tests under 850.5400 are outstanding because they do not meet guideline requirements; which require a test with the freshwater green alga, Selenastrum capricornutum, and a test with the marine diatom, Skeletonema costatum. The other non-target aquatic plant toxicity requirement, floating freshwater aquatic macrophyte duckweed (Lemna gibba) guideline 850.4400 - is not satisfied. A study on the rooted freshwater macrophyte rice (Oryza sativa) 850.4225 (seedling emergence test) - has not been submitted.
Table 16. Toxicity to Plants
-------------------------
- mostly "satisfies guidlines", except for Ryegrass, tomatoes, duckweed and one marine diatom and one green alga.

But I don't know how sensitive those tests are.

Corey

>> The chemical adsorbs strongly to soil, such that a drinking water exposure is not likely. The modeled results for incidental oral exposures, based on the swimming pool use, are higher

Intertesting that the MSDS says :
>> Environmental effects This product is toxic to fish.

The OSHA warnings are no more dire than "may cause irritation" and injestion may cause stomach distress, nausea or vomiting.

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemical.jsp?Rec_Id=PC34167

Other names:
01576 (CA DPR Chem Code Text) , 01576 (CA DPR Chem Code) , 069183 (US EPA PC Code Text) ,
1576 (CA DPR Chem Code) , 1576 (CA DPR Chem Code) , 31512-74-0 (CAS number) ,
31512740 , 31512740 (CAS number without hyphens) , 69183 (US EPA PC Code) ,
Busan 77 , Polixetonium chloride ,
POLY OXYETHYLENE (DIMETHYLIMINIO) ETHYLENE (DIMETHYLIMINIO) ETHYLENE DICHLORIDE , Poly(oxy-1,2-ethanediyl(dimethylimino)-1,2-ethanediyl(dimethylimino)-1,2-ethanediyl dichloride) , Poly(oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride) , Poly(oxyethylene) (dimethylimino) ethylene (dimethylimino) ethylene dichloride , Polyoxyethylenedimethyliminoethylenedimethyliminoethylenedichloride , POLY[OXYETHYLENE(DIMETHYLIMINIO)ETHYLENE(DIMETHYLIMINIO)ETHYLENE DICHLORIDE] , WSCP

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America