Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: What to do with soil from damped off seedlings?

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 2, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8569037

I fear I often too enthusiastically water my plant trays, resulting in some damped off seedlings. I re-sterilize the trays and cell packs and put the used potting mix in a container, which over time has accumulated a couple of cubic feet. Now I'm not going to plant any more seeds in it as it is, and I don't want to take the trouble to run it through the oven or microwave to sterilize it, but it offends my latent ecoconscience to just dump it in the garbage.

My question is, could I put this potting mix in the mulch pile, when in the year or two it takes to create compost, the recycled fungi might not hurt the plants I spread it on? Or should I dump it in the adjacent woodland or just contribute it to the garbage container where it will grace our town's trash?
ZSThomp

(Zone 10a)

May 17, 2011
11:49 PM

Post #8570860

I'd like to know the answer to this also. My feeling is the fungi that cause bacteria is present everywhere. We don't have it when I buy seedling mix, but it is always a risk. I figure that even if a seedling has died from damp off, the mix/soil can still be used. What I've done so far, is to only reuse that soil outside (more air circulation than inside) and let the seedlings almost dry out. I think it works. Am I wrong?

Z
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8571065

I re-use soil from damping off in containers outside, mixed with potting soil and whatever's already there. I figure healthy plants ready for outside won't be affected, and so far, so good. Whatever is left over I put in the compost. Only I'd something looks really gross do I put it in the trash.

Pam

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America