Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Pacific Northwest Gardening: Daphnes

Communities > Forums > Pacific Northwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Pacific Northwest GardeningReplies: 12, Views: 119
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2011
8:36 AM

Post #8569110

I just read an interesting article in the Seattle Times about daphnes. I have one of the infamous 'odora' varieties that has been looking absolutely shabby for the past few years. I keep threatening to pull it out, but then relent when it blooms. It has totally defoliated the past two winters and its general growth pattern is more sideways than upright - some branches seem to head directly down into the dirt. I may just pull this sick puppy out altogether and replace it with something else.

The daphne that has caught my interest is 'Lawrence Crocker' - prolific bloomer, dwarf shrub, very fragrant. The author places his in full sun pure sand. My 'odora' is in part shade loamy soil.

Anyone tried Larry? He's on my list of plants to keep an eye out for. I have a lot of very sandy edges to my new patio and I think he may just like it down there...
Kymmco
Seattle, WA

May 17, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8570146

I read that article with interest as well, especially because I just succumbed and bought Daphne burkwoodii 'Briggs Moonlight' - the one Valerie Easton says she killed twice before giving up. I had also planted it in part shade loamy soil and now have plans to amend a sunny area with sand and grit and move it there. Hopefully that will work because it is soooo pretty.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8571566

I tried Moonlight twice also. They died quickly.
Kymmco
Seattle, WA

May 18, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8571677

So at least it will be mercifully quick is what you're saying :)

I think I'm going to email Edelweiss Perennials where I ordered it from and ask him what he thinks about the plant in almost pure sand idea.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8572571

I'd be interested to find out what the secret is. I'd try it again.
Kymmco
Seattle, WA

May 19, 2011
10:42 AM

Post #8573898

Here is the reply from Urs at Edelweiss Perennials [where I bought Brigg's Moonlight] to my question of what he thought of the advice in the Seattle Times article to plant daphnes in almost pure sand:

"That might work but for us we never had a problem in plain old dirt; well draining, I might add. But I do know that many people do have difficulties getting them established. We have a hard time getting them big in pots and lots of bark (fir) has helped. So that’s what I can add to the “pot”."

I moved Briggs last night out to a mounded bed in full sun and amended the planting hole with a lot of sand and small gravel. Will keep you apprised of its health and well-being (so far it survived the night :)

k
lovesdaphne
Springfield, OR

June 12, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8626465

I have several Daphne odora plants and I think they must tend to "creep" because all of mine are doing that. They are about 3 years in the ground now. I think they look fairly healthy. 2 Carol Mackies and 1 very small (but old) daphne that are also doing well. Soil is regular old Willamette Valley clay mixed with garden mulch. I have not fertilized them at all and I don't think they need it. They are my absolute favorite frangrance garden plants!
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8656779

Kym did you know that Briggs used to be a huge nursery in Olympia and 'Briggs Moonlight" was developed there?
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

June 26, 2011
9:19 PM

Post #8656840

Willow,
What happened to them?
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8758230

Sorry I've been busy moving and no computer for awhile. I think someone bought the property they were on. I'm not sure how it went down.
HydroPinke
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2011
9:59 PM

Post #8758800

I have killed 2 Briggs moonlight and 2 Variegated Winter Daphne
Daphne odora 'Aureo-marginata'. Mine never even made it to the transplant stage :(
I'll try again though.

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8771738

I also killed two Briggs "Moonlight" I had ordered them from a company back east. Daphne are weird. If they don't like it they are out of there.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

August 25, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8775991

They perished here also. I think they need to be planted in the driest best draining soil where their roots keep kind of dry. IE rock garden sunny summits. I gave up because my garden is devoid of this kind of soil.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 17 May 5, 2014 8:08 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America