Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Gladiolus : question about staking (?) Gladiolas

Communities > Forums > Gladiolus
bookmark
Forum: Gladiolus Replies: 12, Views: 153
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 17, 2011
8:52 AM

Post #8569136

Another gardener and I were just discussing the tendency of Glads to grow so tall that they fall over. I am wondering how those of you who are on this forum correct this issue in your gardens? I am sure this has been discussed numerous times on here, so sorry for not researching before asking. I hope that some of you have come up with some good, hopefully inexpensive ways to prop these beauties up. Thank you in advance for all feedback.

Ruby
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8570060

I just planted some against the wall of our house in a little hook about 3' x 2'. I put up a little fence in front of them about 2.5' tall made of green metal with 2" spacing between wires. I can then keep them separated and upright by attaching them to the fencing. Did the same in a freestanding garden but put the fencing behind them to wire to. Other than that, it seems to take about half inch stakes a couple of feet long to keep those puppies upright.. I have heard some people dig a trench about 6-8" deep, plant the corms and then as they grow fill in the trench. Gives them a good base, but when they reach for the sun, I am not sure that is sufficient
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 24, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8584046

Thank you for the ideas on how you are handling top heavy plants mstella. Not exactly sure what we will end up doing, but it really bothers me when one droops over. We are currently enjoying some beautifully blooming Iris which seems to be my husbands favorite plant currently.

Thanks you for the reply to my query.

Ruby
niceguy2
Rochester, MN

June 7, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8616207

Glads are best planted 6" deep to begin with and then later when you can begin to see the spike hill them with another 4-6" of top soil.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 8, 2011
10:43 AM

Post #8618038

Thanks nice guy. I believe that we will try the hilling this year and see if it makes a difference. My husband told me that I had a glad blooming in my front bed this morning. Will have to check it out later when the temperatures are cooler. My main bed of glads is in my back yard and they are up but no buds are showing yet. Will make a note to spend some time hilling. Thanks for the tip.

Ruby
niceguy2
Rochester, MN

June 11, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8624449

Your welcome rubyw,
Another thing you might want to try next year is when you plant your bulbs, is not to plant them all right side up. The common thinking is that they need to be that way, but they don't. The bulbs WILL sprout and send the shoot up. It will actually help to space out some of the bloom time, as the bulbs that are planted upside down will take a bit longer to mature.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8625515

What an utterly cool idea?? and they will find their way upright and to the surface. I only have a short growing season though. Will they do it in three months? Does this only apply if planting in pots? I have heard since our soil is so cold that I shouldn't plant them deep or they will never come up. They rarely bloom before August as it is.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 12, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8625518

Thanks nice guy. Will definitely keep that tip in mind.

Ruby
niceguy2
Rochester, MN

June 12, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8625736

mstella,
They have no problem being planted katiwompus. Works for garden planting, pots, whatever.
As far as your short growing season...Three months shouldn't be a problem. The earliest glads are like 65 days.
I haven't had to try this because of our longer growing season here, but a couple things might work for you.
1. black plastic to warm the soil.
2. dig some furrows like is shown in one of the other threads here and only plant the bulbs 1 or 2 inches deep, but don't fill the furrow until later on when the leaves are several inches above the soil line. Kind of a reverse hilling.
3. Here in Mn, we usually get a hard frost, but then there is another couple weeks of nice weather after that. You can leave a sprinkler running over night on your glads. The water will freeze to the glads, but will insulate them from the killing frost. Like what they do with the fruit trees in Florida. This I have done, but it depends on how hard the frost is. Might get you another week or two.

Got any extra seeds of those blue poppies? :) Even some pictures would do!

This message was edited Jun 12, 2011 1:42 PM
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8625943

I will post some poppy pictures. I sent plants to Ohio and ummm some other place a few weeks ago. They are getting rather big to send now, although it might work. A lady sent me seeds for yellow miconopsis but they take forever to germinate much less grow. I could try to send you a hardy one. But it would cost $10.95 in the med priority USPS box. The small $4.95 box is too small now. I am hoping to hear how the others fared where I sent them. They should do wonderfully well in MN. And they grow and spread huge clumps really fast.
niceguy2
Rochester, MN

June 12, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8625973

I sent you a D-mail.
Thanks
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8626324

Here is a picture of Himalayan Poppy betonicifolia; sort of 'out of thread, but hope no one minds.

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8626385

This is Himalayan Poppy lingholm; both were taken in my garden last year

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gladiolus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gladiolus planting CountryGardens 48 Jan 11, 2010 11:27 AM
The Glad show has begun! wallaby1 156 Mar 21, 2007 10:28 PM
Possible plant support coop - perhaps for Glads? 4paws 58 May 30, 2007 7:12 PM
Brent and Becky glads bbrookrd 17 Mar 25, 2007 12:22 PM
Photos of Glads in the house 4paws 23 Apr 14, 2007 12:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America