Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Soil and Composting: How do I make home made compost accelerator?

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 3, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mjaorhyn
Saint Paul, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 17, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8569338

How do I make home made compost accelerator? I don't even know what is in it. My hubby built the bins 3x3 instead of 4x4 and it doesn't get the heat I would like it to. I buy the box of Ringers and it does seem to work but I'd like to find something less expensive. I don't remember if I've asked this before or not. Can anyone point me to a recipe? Thanks, Mary
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8569349

Just buy cheap dog kibble. It'll add nitrogen if you need it to kick start your pile.
seran72
Bozeman, MT

May 19, 2011
8:40 PM

Post #8574991

I have always heard that the very best (and it is free) compost accelerator is human urine.

If it makes you feel weird, these two links might help:

http://www.ramiran.net/doc98/FIN-POST/VINERAS.pdf

http://phosphorusfutures.net/why-phosphorus

It occurred to me after reading these that we humans spend lots of money to flush clean water down the toilet where it goes to a big plant to be treated with chemicals to have the pee removed. Then we drive to the big box stores and spend lots of money to buy plastic containers filled with the same stuff we just flushed down the toilet. Then we drive home and what do we do with that stuff? Add it to water so we can give it to our plants. :-)

mjaorhyn
Saint Paul, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 20, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8575623

I was reading several articles yesterday and some said exactly that! Thanks for the info and I have been using Sweat Scoop for kitty litter and put that in the compost yesterday after cleaning out the feces but not the urine.

It is ironic that we as a society get rid of what we need just to turn around and pay someone to get it back.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America