Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beekeeping: Bees all over our fountain?

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 4, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
swampdiamonds
Gowrie, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8569582

My husband and I moved into a house last summer in northern Iowa (we live on the edge of a tiny town, surrounded by corn fields) and it has an outdoor water feature (above ground fish pond/fountain) in our backyard, complete with goldfish. We've noticed that bees love hanging out on the rocks closest to the falling water, and we have a peaceful relationship (we ignore them, they ignore us). However, this spring, we've noticed a ton of dead bees in the water--don't know if they're drowning, or just dying, but the dead bees keep clogging the filter.

Do you think they have a hive nearby (I haven't been able to find anything that looks like a place bees would live, but I don't know exactly what to look for)? Do bees like to hang out around water, and do they easily fall in and drown? My husband and I both feel bad for them, and when we've seen live bees in the water, we've both tried to fish them out with a net. Ideas? Tips? I'm including a pic I snapped earlier today.

Thumbnail by swampdiamonds
Click the image for an enlarged view.

summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8572652

Bees can drown in almost no water, that's for sure. And they range up to 5 miles so they could be coming from anywhere. I would suggest putting out a plant saucer filled with pebbles or marbles & water for them along the edge.

My bees used to drown by the hundreds in my neighbors' hot tub, annoying them by clogging the filter as well.

Keep us posted!
Jumpin4Joy
Orangeburg, SC

May 20, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8576414

Definatly drowning. I agree with the saucer or a birdbath with rocks for them to stand on. they really love sugar water and they could be coming from anywhere.
swampdiamonds
Gowrie, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8578069

The whole thing is set up with rocks all around it, but you think putting a saucer out there with pebbles and shallow would help? Would they go to that instead? Should it be sugar water or plain water?
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8578080

Oh definitely. Plain water.

They can drown in a quarter-inch of water; that's why you'll see them getting moisture from muddy areas.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America