A DIFFERENT kind of quilt block swap Part 4

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

list and will be updated as quickly as possible, I will aim for at least every 2 days.

CLOSED: I am looking for 13 people interested in a quilt block exchange, this will be LIMITED to 13 people so that it is hopefully not overwhelming. I will use rules similar to other swaps in that it will be 100% cotton etc HOWEVER, THIS swap will be just 3 months long, and ALL patterns will be announced at once, in the beginning. WHY? So the impatient ones can sew their little hearts out QUICKLY, and those with more time at one time/season or another can do them at THEIR best time. SO, if this interests you, post & let me know.

Each person will mail the block DIRECTLY to the person who choose that pattern. You need to post your quilt block pattern link (12 x 12 please) AND color choice. Their will be a "check off" system so we can track which ones are done & received. Clear as mud??

Even if you have sent me an email expressing an interest, POST HERE so I know you want in to this swap as it is currently set up,
Deadline for signup is January 15th. ALL blocks are to be mailed no later than April 15th.

"Dealing with different size blocks...
Even if you see the block as 12 1/2" the recipient may see it slightly smaller or larger. An easy way to deal with blocks of slightly different sizes is to put a border around each block. I usually start with 2" strips. Then, after all the blocks have a border, find the smallest one and cut all the others down a bit. Then sash as usual. After they are all together, no one will be able to tell if the borders are a bit different.

Or, tilt the blocks. Add a 3-4" border, then cut them "off center/square". Again, it will disguise the fact that the individual blocks are slightly different."

1psychw2 - (Pat )colors Pink, white and black - updated Please make it the SAME pattern you chose for yourself in MY colors

2Mojoquilter - (Sondra) bright, silly and wild:) http://quilting.about.com/od/blockofthemonth/ss/house_quilt... (updated)

3Cherriff - (Cheryl F) blue and gold with white background http://www.quilterscache.com/D/DartingBirdBlock.html

4Taters55 - (Linda) blue and white - http://www.quilterscache.com/H/HoleintheBarnDoorBlock.html TOT or prints, "in" or "out"

5got2Bgreen -(Cheryl L) . red, pinks & white, emphasis on ROSE pattern fabric, any block you choose.

6Mittsy - Pat could you please change my card trick info to say 4 different pastel small floral prints. Thanks so much. And to send to NY not FL I have committed this quilt to Habitat for Humanity.
Card trick - See the bottom of this post for full instructions - http://www.quilterscache.com/C/CardTrickBlock.html

7Quilter5bdsr -( Barb) browns, beige & oranges - http://quilterscache.com/C/CoxeysCampBlock.html

8Catbird423 (Robin) http://www.quilterscache.com/M/MonkeyWrenchBlock.html the light half of the block should be a white on white print, and the other can be any other color/print.

9Gardenglory (Pam) D9P with white in the center. A white middle. Can cut and sew back any way you choose or just send it along uncut and I will see what they look like together and then decide how to cut.Pinks and Turquoise/blue red, yellow, green & black ok too

Abbisgranma (Marion) Withdrawn Blue and Purple, please know if you CHOOSE to send a block, that is OK, No block in return.

10 BarefootT (Thunder) Red white and blue, http://quilterscache.com/J/JitterbugBlock.html see instructions below

11Ladydragon5 (JANICE) http://www.quilterscache.com/L/LogCabinVariationBlock.html I want the center block and small blocks leading to it in black, with the four corners in bright primary colors (red, yellow,blue, green).

12Silolegma (Karen) OR ANY BLOCK, ANY SIZE, ANY COLOR... Karen is going to make single placemats for the Meals on Wheels. D9B black & white, with solid center, see http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8278665 tthere is a picture that shows the specific placement, see on Dec 27 the link post above.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2011 11:48 PM

This message was edited Jun 12, 2011 9:46 AM

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

so sorry you are in pain Doc, that sucks...are you taking something for the pain.... aleeve, and heat helps a bit with my hips, and occasionally I take some tylenol night time pain reliever...helps me get groggy to fall asleep..... I too still have blocks to send out, I have been moving sewing stuff into other room, almost done...plan to do a few tomorrow...if I can find the fabrics I need??!!

machine is in one room, most of fabrics and supplies in other room....waiting to get a table/bench ?? moved out of the shed before I move the machine...I will have a large surface for quilting!! at last !!
been a pain in the butttttt (and hips) to do the moving, will be VERY worth the effort when complete.

I am sorry I am late, I was so wrapped up in getting the quilt done for my son, before he was to leave, and problems with the hips, keeps me from sewing for any length of time....I will be working on them....

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm pretty sure I've finished all the blocks for this swap. If you haven't received one from me, please let me know. Still unpacking but at least I have my machine back in working condition. I don't stockpile a stash here (in NY) anymore so I have to try and plan what I will need to bring with me. I've included some winter fabric and Christmas to finish up those last two blocks. I also have a "special" project that I am working on from our fabric swap. Brought the insulbrite to make some potholders for my DIL and enough toddler fabrics to make a few isolette quilts. I know I would feel better if I could just get my body clock reset to some semblance of normalcy. Daylight savings and time zone changes always screw it up so I'm awake half the night and yet I can't seem to sleep more than six hours out of 24.

Pat, you might try Cherry juice for your pain. I have a sister that is big on natural methods of healing. She got me to try it several years ago. So I've been using it ever since. No side effects with it like the prescription medications. I buy it by the case and drink about 2 to 3 tablespoons full a day. It is pretty sweet (concentrated) so I mix it with water. It really helps. My knees were so painful that I could barely walk up stairs, now I have no problem with climbing.

Thunder, i am so glad that I got to stop by. This winter was not good for traveling. My DH has not been up to doing much so we just didn't get out like we wanted, to visit our friends and family in your area. I hope I can get him to change doctors so he can get some help. Our oldest son has recommended someone that he knows quite well so I am going to call him and see if I can get an appointment for a consultation. He works in sports medicine, so he may have a different approach.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Happy to hear you are back up north Mittsy.. Is Judy here yet? I will send her a email later today. Off to get dressed - BOM at 8AM.....

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Wow, I can't believe the time had arrived to return to NY Mittsy. This year seems to be flying by faster than I am wanting it to...guess it has something to do with getting older but NOT going there.

Pat, sorry to hear of the pain you are experiencing. Real bummer when it hurts so bad you can't sleep but sewing has always been a help to me too. Better than any tranquilizer I have ever been given!!

Take care all of you.

Here's a picture of the Black Cherry Juice

Thumbnail by mittsy

and as long as I am posting pictures I thought you might enjoy seeing my gift for the catering evening for WKBG. All went well and everyone enjoyed the food. I enjoyed my son Rob's talk on how he came to be in KY. It was a thank you evening to all the donors who made the conservatory possible. I donated my services of the catering. My DIL and son helped me set up the food

Thumbnail by mittsy

A view of the table

Thumbnail by mittsy

The hit of the food was the Vidalia onion dip. The bowl was scraped clean. Here's the recipe. Only three ingredients.
Chopped Vidalia onion, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and Mayonnaise. Combine equal amounts of each and put in an ovenproof dish. I usually do one cup of each. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with corn scoops or crackers. Enjoy.

Thumbnail by mittsy
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Where do you get the cherry juice? Health food store?
Love the table of food, and that recipe sounds really good!

Mittsy, that is beautiful and the dip sound sooooooooo good. Will have to try that.

That dip sounds wonderful. And I too would like to know where to find the cherry juice. It's funny how things are turning around regarding food. We are going back to nature and I think it's wonderful. Norm and I take two cinnamon caps each night. Helps his cholesterol and my metabolism...

Lexington Park, MD

I too will be trying the dip it sounds sooo good. I think the health food store may carry the juice. I will look next time I go that way.

I buy it by the case at Vitamin Warehouse in Syracuse. Better prices than the health food store and free shipping on orders over $50.00.

http://www.vitaglo.com/dyhetach10og.html

Thanks Mittsy. I'll look there first.

I recently had some questions regarding blocks so I have REPOSTED the info at the top of this thread.

And I STILL have blocks to finish (hanging head in shame)

No head hanging allowed!!!! Pick it up Pat and don't worry. We all have times when we just have other priorities but we all know that eventually we will get our blocks......

Please note, if you have not sent to Mitsy, please remember 4 different PASTEL small floral prints. Thanks so much. And to send to NY not FL as she has committed this quilt to Habitat for Humanity.

THANKS ladies you are doing a great job.

I spent the day in Tri-Cities with my Sister, it was great! We didn't intend to spend ALL day but my Dad's lawn mower broke down just as we would have left to buy groceries and returned to Othello. Groceries cost more 30% more in Othello so we try to stock up when we got to TC. My Sweetheart volunteered to "check out of the mower" and off he went to help my Dad. Several hours later, the problem diagnosed and fixed but it seriously changed our time-table, we didn't get back home until after midnight. .

Barb, thanks for the "no head hanging allowed" even tho directed at Pat's comment...it applies to me too, as I still have a bunch of these to do.......made me feel a wee bit better......

I am not Hanging my head....but I am "upset" with myself....just can not seem to get "caught up" with anything!!!! I owe stuff for two different swaps, My house is a wreck....work schedule is crazy, I am just plain ole' tired all the time.......My sincere apologies to Y'all.....I am working on it....

Blocks going in mail tomorrow to Cheryl, Robin, and Janice....and If I don't fall apart after work tonight ....maybe I will get another one or two done!!!

One at a time Thunder. It is what it is and we know you will finish. Concentrate on getting ready to go to Great Lakes. Norm graduated from there too. You are going to LOVE Judy. I'm thrilled you are getting to meet. Slowly but surely we will all meet I'm sure....

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I thought I would post a picture of the blocks I have received so far. Thank you Thunder for the block, got it on Friday and I love it!

Thumbnail by Catbird423
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I came back here and I felt like I was going to talk to the pricipal. I feel so bad. I do have a couple to mail, one being catbirds, I at least feel like it will go with the above picture. Not that anyone likes to sign up and then drop the ball, Im feeling MUCH better now that Im not the only one.
This is the first thread Ive read or posted on so I hope every is well or holding in there and/or keeping the faith that it soon will be. Its so dad gum hot here, I wish I didnt 'spin' so much so I could really get at this sewing again. Thank goodness the fabric doesnt fade and die like the flowers during times of neglect. It looks as colorful and happy as ever. I packed up about half, as I was sure Id never sew again. Ive put a stop to that and am hoping to get going soon.....maybe even today. Just coming here is getting me jazzed again.

If anyone ever hears the word Keppra (drug), RUN the other way :-O

Hope your feeling better soon!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks...I hope that didnt sound complainy. Nice to 'see' you.
You could have never convinced me tho that drugs are so 'evil'. My heart really goes out to those who are on or who have had to experience chemo. Im SO grateful every day that God didnt throw that my way right now. You just never know, gotta go with the flow and try to keep that mind on a positive track. That is where fabric comes in ;-).
I once had a dr. friend who said he knew when his female patients were feeling better because they would put the lipstick back on. My sewing room is Pams version of that.

Why are you taking that drug? It doesn't sound good at all!

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Sorry Pam, hope all is better soon. It's tough dealing with tough drugs I wonder if sometimes the illness isn't better than the treatment. You kind of get used to what the condition is doing to your body then along comes this "great" treatment and throws you all cockeyed.

Thinking of you this afternoon Pam and all of you others as well. It's tough when we have so much we WANT to do and our bodies or our minds just won't let us. And chemicals can do such a job on us no matter if they are fixing some part of us...I'll keep you in my prayers.....
I started the drops in my other eye today and will have surgery on Wed. Then the healing can really begin. The first eye is doing well but I know it still has a way to go. Life will be very interesting for a while I guess. Not too much I can do with very limited eyesight but I'm so grateful this is just a temporary thing and I'll be seeing fine soon.

I will be finally getting back to the sewing room today. I need to get these DONE and then I'll have to pack up the room a little since it has to double as the quest room and we may have company for a week or two. So wish me SPEEDY sewing, these are past due enough as it is.

Barb, will be thinking about you on Wednesday. I am waiting until September ...mainly so I can go back and visit with Mom some more. Kim (daughter) and I are going down tomorrow for only a week this time; however, I will go back the middle of July for a longer period of time. Kim will be starting back to work and it is actually best if I am off doing "my thing" the first week or so. Avoids lots of stress on both of us this way...especially with all the budget cuts this coming school year.

Pat, sending you "speed" sewing...do try to enjoy while you are doing it though.

Pam, hope you are doing okay. I have missed seeing you post and was worried about you.

3Cherriff - (Cheryl F), 4Taters55 - (Linda), 8Catbird423 (Robin), 9Gardenglory (Pam),10 BarefootT (Thunder) , 11Ladydragon5 (JANICE), 12Silolegma (Karen) are the swap members that have NOT yet received a block from me. If you have finished THIS project and prefer a different block shoot me an email or post here, otherwise you will get the block you requested in the beginning.

Mojo, did you finish your quilt? I"d love to see a picture! I KNOW I sent one to you early in the swap!

Pat, no rush where I'm concerned and my original is just fine.

Same here, same colors, and no hurry.

thanks for the rapid response!

Red, White, and Blue !!! same block same colors....and NO HURRY!!!!! I am working on them too....

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

marion perhaps you want to stop of on LBK. I Do have visitors now. they are leaving end of this week.25th. then I am free until the end of July. DD's are coming.... Ice cream cone on the stove door. The only towel I ever left on this long because of the heat.....

Lexington Park, MD

Barb sending positive thoughts your way today as you get the other eye fixed. It is today?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I saw this yesterday and have been thinking about Barb all morning. Im such a baby and so scared of the doctor, I hope its all over and went well for her. Im not sure what the sugery is, but at least with my eyes, they gave me enough Vercet to make me not remember. Hope they loaded her up!
Fun to see some familiar names again. Hi to you all.
I go the cardiologist in the morning, she is going to try to scare me into a cardio cath hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha is all I have to say. Second verse, same as the first....NO WAY. If you cant see what you want on an echo, it aint going to be seen. ;-O.

Aw Pam, Trust me, a cardiac cath is another no biggie. I had one and truly didn't feel a thing except relief when they got my stent in place, because the heart pain stopped. The advantage is, if you need a stent or angioplasty, they are already there. If your Cardio, has a valid reason, go for it. I was lucky to have survived my first heart attack, you'd be surprised at how often the first is fatal.
We have you back and we'd just as soon keep you.

Hey Pam, please listen to the Dr. Not all echograms, or MRI's for that matter, show what the problem is. Sometimes they have to go in and look!

Checking in today ladies. I'm home and the second eye was just as easy as the first!!! I'm feeling great. Feel like a pirate again with my patch but it comes off tomorrow. I'm really glad I had this done (cataract surgery for those who didn't know) and I'm told that within 4 to 6 weeks when everything has had a chance to heal that I may not need glasses. This after 50 years with them!!! Even if I do still need them for one thing or another, I can already see sooo much better with the first eye that was done. I too have had family members have stents put in and they too are a nothing operation that does only good. I'd go for it if I were you Pam but you do what you feel. I don't want to lose you either......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.