Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: First batch of pickles

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 34, Views: 396
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8573896

used my canner as a water bath..lol wayyy to big but I'll be doing cream corn next. The green beans I'll freeze as I like them better frozen.

Thumbnail by araness
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8596922

Looking good

Dwight

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
10:34 PM

Post #8656918

Congrats! I just finished my second batch of pickle making. I tried 2 different recipes for sweet relish, made bread and butter slices and dill/garlic pickle halves (not all today). But I also started the day by making 1 1/2 gallons of yogurt. I'm pooped! Janet
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8681555

what starter do you use for your yogurt?

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8682189

Glad you asked!! I found the best starter (for me) at http://www.cheesemaking.com --the Y5, which is a "sweet" culture. They also have two others-a Bulgarian and a tangy. I like my yogurt the opposite of tangy! So I use this starter and only let it culture for about 4-4 1/2 hours. It is especially awesome if you have access to whole, fresh milk right from the cow! I recently bought the other 2 cultures just to see how different they taste. I've also made several fresh cheeses, ricotta being my favorite and easiest, and other fresh dairy products like sour cream and buttermilk. D mail me if you have any questions. And 30 minute mozarella is fab and easy! Janet

Thumbnail by bariolio
Click the image for an enlarged view.

araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8682253

Do you use a machine? I've looked at one on Amazon. The DH eats a ton of yogurt and it would be so much easier to make my own, besides he grew up on a dairy farm and it would be nice for him to be able to get something similar to what "mom" aka the maid use to make.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8682331

I make 2 gallons of yogurt at a time! No machine for that. I use quart and/or pint canning jars, my canning pot and I have a temperature controller that you can set at a specific temp and it will turn the hotplate I use off and on to maintain that temp. I put enough water in the canning pot to come up to just below the threads of the jars. Then I let it do it's thing for 4-4 1/2 hours, take them out and put in frig. As far as the yogurt, I also add 1 c of Org. Valley dry milk powder per gallon of milk when heating the milk on the stove. (Then cool it down, put in starter, in jars, in canning pot etc.).
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2011
7:41 AM

Post #8683602

Your pickles look good araness.

I'd love to have a good recipe for dill relish. If anybody has any.
Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2011
3:37 AM

Post #8693406

liked the coment about making Yogurt, [never have tried that before]-- my cow will be calving in Sept, -- will have lots of milk to play with, --

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8694134

SO JEALOUS!! Good luck with the birth. My GYN just told me she just helped a cow deliver her calf! She is retiring at the end of Aug. I said she could be a vet midwife next!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8694214

Yummy looking pickles, Araness. I almost passed this thread because I didn't grow cucumbers this year..then I find a secret hideout for other cheese and yogurt makers! lol

I use Dannon plain yogurt as my starter and put in mason jars. I put them in coleman cooler and pour hot (120 degrees) water up to the jar rim. Cooler keeps the heat in really well for me :0)

Michaelp, I remember a photo you posted (sorry if it wasn't you) of a brown swiss. Lovely girl, ears and all :0) best of luck with calving.

Janet, you may have already tried this. If not, try1/2 cup of yogurt, per gallon of milk and let sit 30 minutes before making the "30 minute mozarella". It adds so much flavor!

Darius and I go 'off topic' allll the time in the homesteading forum about cheese making.lol And I know we both would love to see more cheese makers join the conversations :) Stop on by if you'd like!

KathyAnn, I feel like I'm leaving and Dwight out.lol Sorry, don't have a dill recipe, I'm a sweet relish gal.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8694483

Thanks for the tip, Cocoa! I'll add Homesteading to my favorites and follow. I'd love to read what others are doing in the cheesemaking/dairy products world!
And sorry, were we talking about pickles?? hahaha! I'm just about to go make some sugar-free dills with the last of my pickling cucs.
Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 17, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8697180

The cow, -- "Jersey" is a Jersey/ Brown Swiss cross, -- [who thinks she is a 900 lb lap dog] she is getting very big in the middle, and bagging up nicely, -- I had posted picts of her, -- thanks, --
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8697346

Not to worry . I've been so busy I haven't had time to come back here. lol, I did get that dill relish made yesterday and it looks great, taste has yet to be determined lol
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8702036

Hope it will be the best ever, Kathy Ann ;0)

We started a cheese making thread, to make the conversation easier to follow. Anyone interested is welcome to stop on by http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1197714/ I expect to see you there, Janet!

MichealP, I read recently that of all the dairy breeds, brown swiss have higher chances of twins. Something to think as you watch her grow wider and wider.LOL
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2011
9:11 PM

Post #8717555

Made pickles and used "pickles crisp", followed the directions on the jar and the pickles still didn't come out crisp; any suggestions?
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8717971

salt/ice water bath

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2011
12:54 PM

Post #8718966

That's a good tip. I also found that when I used regular cucs, I got mushy pickles. So I grow pickling cucs for pickles and other for salad/eating.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8720123

These were definitely pickling cukes, so I guess I'll try the salt/ice water bath on the next batch.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2011
5:14 AM

Post #8720506

I didn't realize they put pickle crisp back on the market till i saw it in walmart the other day, i've been using that calcium chloride for years now, and have been buying it off the internet. good to know i can pick it up locally again. that stuff is great!

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8720675

Hey, I have some liquid calcium chloride for cheesemaking. How is this used for pickles? Does it help with crispness?
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8720676

It's supposed to, but hasn't worked for me, following the directions on the bottle.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8720725

Bariolio, the sweet pickles you tasted at my house didn't have the calcium chloride, the dill did..you could taste the difference. Although I do think the Splenda also caused some of the softness.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 29, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8724129

I use l/2 to 3/4 tsp of the pickle crisp in each jar, I put it in the bottom of the jar with the garlic and other spices and pack the pickles in there and then the boiling vinegar water. my dill pickles are crisp for several years. i can't make crispy dill pickles with out it.
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2011
11:36 PM

Post #8724674

The bottle said to use 1/4 tsp per quart; sounds like you're doubling or tripling so I guess I'll try that next time.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 30, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8724983

well, remember, I bought mine off the internet and the directions on the bottle said one teaspoon per quart l/2 per pint, I don't know what the pickle crisp jar says at walmart, but even when they sold it before in the little packets they said l tsp per quart.
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8752217

how do you do a salt/ice water bath? does it work with refrigerator pickles?
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8752439

I just put the whole uncut clean cucumbers in a 5 gallon bucket and cover with a combo of ice cold water and pickling salt. Let sit for several hours and rinse and drain, pickle using whatever recipe you like.
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8752454

this helps to crisp up the pickles? or is it a disinfecting step? (or both?)
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8752461

I would think crispness only. I clean mine well especially on the blossom end. I can tell a difference in the ones I don't do a bath with and then add the crisping agent. Not sure if both of these steps need to be done but since I love the pickles I made I'll use the same method again.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8753574

I've also used the ice/salt bath after cutting them in thick slices. I think it does help with crispness. It just depends on what recipe I am following. Some say to just salt and let drain for a couple of hours, then rinse. I'm still experimenting to see what comes out best. And this year, I used my "regular" cucs for a batch since my pickling ones were dead, and the pickles came out crunchy! Have no idea what was different--did it before and made a note to use pickling cucs and no processing (for frig pickles). But I processed them anyway and they came out great. I didn't add any sweetener to them--wonder if that made ANY difference? Who knows?!
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8770905

I drape a grape leaf in the bottom of the jar, this supposedly helps with crispness and looks pretty.
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9120560

well I'm done with this years batch (or at least the dill) I've done over 50+ jars and am about to start in on the salsa and tomatoes. I'll freeze the tomatoes in 15oz foodsaver bags so I can use in soups, stews etc and can the salsa. I also noticed about roasting the cherry tomatoes in another thread so I think I'll give that a try as well this year.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9120924

I'm just about to plant my pickling cucs when I get home tomorrow. Can't wait to make more pickles and sugar free sweet relish. That was really good! And if the worms don't eat all my tomatoes, I'll can some of those too :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9121109

I'm growing the tiny Mexican Sour Gherkins this year. They are about the size of a bantam hen egg. I think they will make good pickles, assuming they grow well. The weather has been so crazy!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America