Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: Staking plants

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 4, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
1234dottie
Morgantown, WV

May 19, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8574359

Last winter I decided to Invest in some stakes for my plants. I bought a bunch of them in different sizes. Well now I finally get to use them. Problem for me is I don't have the strength to push them down in the ground. I got a board and hit the board and the wire bends. Does anyone know a secret in how to make them work easier.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8574365

Have you got some ones to help? Using rebars to create a hole first, then stick the plant's support stick in the holes and firm the soil around the support stick works for me. Careful not damage bulbs underground if you had them. Like lilies; I install the support stick before I plant the bulbs, and leave the support stakes in place year after year. I hope that helps.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

1234dottie
Morgantown, WV

May 19, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8574405

Hello lily thanks for your quick response, my husband will help me the rebar idea may work. I've been searching a little on Internet and they say they leave them in the ground. That sounds good to me less work next year.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8574453

Dorothy (?) I'm glad I could be of service. After all I've learned so much from fellow gardeners in person as well as via DG.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8597023

Hi, I second the "leave in the ground" method for the ones that are going to be used year to year. Just too hard to keep avoiding rocks or roots when trying to get back in..also takes too much energy. I do have the temporary folding fences to keep dogs out until plants are established, I move them before I trip over them when the plants are mature.
Happy gardening

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America