Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: My start with Alocasia hybrids - Alocasia x portora: Great article thanks!

Communities > Forums > Article: My start with Alocasia hybrids - Alocasia x portora
bookmark
Forum: Article: My start with Alocasia hybrids - Alocasia x portoraReplies: 2, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8574898

Always enjoy your articles they are so informative and I always learn at least one thing new if not more thank you :)

I've had a Alocasia Wentii Varigated for a few years and last year it got so many aphids on it it was really a struggle to get rid of them I tried spraying with a aphid killer for plants but it burned the leaves any suggestions as to what to do if it gets them this year? Is there anything around the house I could use? Blasting them with water just didnít work for me on those.
LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 20, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8575633

As pests go, aphids are one of the easier to get rid of because of their soft bodies. However, any spraying must be done either in the cool of the evening or in the early morning before the sun comes up. Also, if the label specifies that it is safe for the plant you are using the spray on, that's even better.

I use a professional product called Merit and it really takes out aphids, whiteflies and mealys. If the infestation is not too bad, the squish by fingers method, followed by a thorough spray-off of the plant (and fingers) with water, works well. Ladybugs and ladybug larvae are voracious aphid eaters. The larvae look like little alligators, and eat like them, too! So that is another alternative: if you spot some weeds with aphids (yes, weeds can get aphids, too) and also see Ladybug larvae and adults feeding on them, just gently capture the Ladybugs and larvae and "transplant" them to your plant. They should stick around until their food is gone.

A third alternative is insecticidal soap, which acts by suffocating the aphids. You have to hit all of them or the ones that don't get hit won't be bothered by it.
LeBug
Greenville, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8575732

Didn't know I could use the insecticidal soap I have plenty of that after burning my leaves I was afraid to use anything smashing them was becoming really gross there were so many of them, not sure what happened to the lady bug population last year but we didn't have many looks like they are coming around more for this year already seeing them now so that's good. Oh I always watch for the larvae of those don't want to hurt those puppies lol I have a lot of flowers so usually I have a lot of bug activity just not many lady bugs last year...

I always spray in early morning or late evenings thanks for the advice really appreciate it :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: My start with Alocasia hybrids - Alocasia x portora Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Alocasia Polly Cliffff 5 Jul 27, 2008 1:52 AM
Great phicks 0 Jul 21, 2008 2:39 PM
Growing alocasia odora from seed pjenning 2 Jul 21, 2008 7:54 PM
alocasia daphnep 0 May 19, 2011 2:41 PM
Portora teddykoz 1 May 23, 2011 6:56 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America