Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Recipes: Best recipe for baby back ribs?

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 12, Views: 109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8574945

I don't have a grill, So looking for the best way to make them.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8575024

Cook them low and slow, make sure to remove the membrane(that's what makes ribs tough)do a dry rub first(any that suits your fancy,) we put apple cider vinegar in the bottom of the pan then do a bbq coating on the ribs(as much or as little as you want, depends on if you like dry or wet ribs) before putting them in the oven. Cover with foil
250 4hrs or more till super tender
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2011
10:23 PM

Post #8575095

Thankyou flowAjen!

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2011
4:27 AM

Post #8575272

That's roughly the way I do it if I'm not using a grill, although I've never tried cider vinegar or removed the membrane. I just put barbecue sauce on the ribs in a pan and cover with foil, and then cook low and slow for several hours. They fall off the bones that way and are really good.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8575734

Thankyou greenhouse_gal!
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8575883

Here is our favorite "indoor" rib recipe.

Sweet & Spicy Ribs

BARBECUE SAUCE
1 cup Store-bought barbecue sauce
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons Soy sauce
2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce (nuoc nam) or oyster sauce
1 teaspoon chili paste (or according to taste)
RIBS
6 racks baby back ribs, membrane removed, about 1 1/4 pounds each
4 cans light beer (12 oz)
2 large onions, sliced, about 5 cups
8 large garlic clove -- peeled and split
1 teaspoon each - dried thyme, rosemary, basil, salt & freshly ground pepper
2 whole bay leaf
3 whole clove
1 cup honey (for brushing on ribs)

Combine ingredients for barbeque sauce and refrigerate overnight or up to 3 days. Before using, stir well. Adjust the seasoning; the sauce should be spicy.
Place ribs, meaty side down in a roasting pan, add beer and enough water to just cover the ribs. Add onions, garlic, herbs and spices. Shake the pan to combine. Bring the liquid to a boil on top of the stove, cover and simmer gently until the ribs are very tender. About 1 hour.
Use tongs to transfer the hot ribs to heavy duty foil. Blot them with paper towels, Immediately brush both sides with honey. Reapply any honey that drips onto the foil. This can be done a day ahead, cover and refrigerate the ribs.
To finish, let the ribs and barbecue sauce come to room temperature. Prepare a medium hot barbecue fire with a few chunks of water soaked mewquite wood or alternately, put the broiler rack 8 inches from the heat source and preheat the broiler. Brush both sides of the ribs generously with the barbecue sauce.
Place the ribs meaty side down on the hot grill, or meaty side up in the broiler. Grill or broil until they are heated through and bronzed, not burned, about 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the heat. Use tongs to turn them Brush sauce on the browned side and grill or broil until the underside is browned, about 5 minutes. Brush more sauce on both sides.
To serve, pass remaining barbecue sauce.

Description:
"from Celebrating the Midwest Table"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2011
12:19 PM

Post #8575959

Thankyou Edens_Gardener!
Zooty
Mansfield, TX

May 21, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8578026

I have two that I have not tried yet, but they were said to be very good and are very simple.

Mix 1 bottle of barbecue sauce (or 8 oz of your own) with 1 cup of orange juice. Pour it over 2 pounds of ribs (country ribs, spare ribs..whatever). Wrap it tightly with two layers of heavy foil and bake at 300 for 2-3 hours.

Very thinly slice lemons and onions and place both under and on top of your seasoned ribs. Bake, covered in foil, in a slow oven for a couple of hours. Remove foil and drizzle with your favorite barbecue sauce. Raise the temp in the oven and finish cooking until the sauce, lemons and onions are sizzling and cooked to your desired crispiness.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8579629

Thanks Zooty!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8591300

I've come to rely on this one if I'm doing them indoors:

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/cook-healthier-restaurant-favorites - I don't make their sauce, as I prefer a dry rub at the end instead of a wet sauce. It's easy; and the results are consistently moist, flavorful and generally tasty.

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8591318

Thankyou Terry!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8591944

You're very welcome - if you try them, please let me know what you think!
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8591949

Will do :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America