Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Soil and Composting: blending kitchen scraps to puree and pouring into garden bed

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 9, Views: 173
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
seran72
Bozeman, MT

May 19, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8574968

I have a compost pile. But I'm a newbie, and I built it in an inconvenient location and I'm having real trouble turning it. Eventually, I will sort it all out and get good at it. In the meantime, the kitchen scraps keep piling up.

Today I got tired of them, so I put them all in a blender with some coffee grounds, coffee drippings and water and blended to a puree.

Then I went out to one of my beds, dug a hole in a spot that was away from any plants, poured in the puree and covered it back up with soil.

Then, since I had more scraps, I did the same thing three more times.

Any thoughts? Have you heard of this before? Is this done?
mjaorhyn
Saint Paul, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 20, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8575638

I'd pour the slurry on the compost piles. I bet it accelerates the process.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8575697

seran72 - I've done this with kichen scraps, when the weather is hot, without putting them in the blender! They break down very quickly. I wouldn't do this in the winter, or when the soil is cold because it might attract vermin.
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8575784

I have an old blender set aside for kitchen scraps. I save the slurry in a coffee can in the freezer. When it's full, I set it on my garage floor to thaw w/o any risk from hungry critters.

I use it to kickstart compost, but burying it works too.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8582471

I have heard that rhubarb especially likes a good kitchen scraps slurry! I have also dug holes in the veggie garden and poured unblended scraps into the hole. It is amazing how fast they disappear.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8582530

I have an old blender I'm holding in reserve to do the very same thing. I read somewhere about blending the scraps and pouring the slush into the garden. Also, about hole composting. Just dig a deep enough hole and put in the unfinished scraps. If the hole is deep enough, the animals and rodents will not forage in your pile.
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2011
11:16 PM

Post #8583560

[quote="Gymgirl"]I read somewhere about blending the scraps and pouring the slush into the garden. Also, about hole composting. Just dig a deep enough hole and put in the unfinished scraps. If the hole is deep enough, the animals and rodents will not forage in your pile.[/quote]

Bingo. http://davesgarden.com/tools/tags/tag.php?tag=composting+in+place
mraider3
Helena, MT

May 24, 2011
2:20 AM

Post #8583631

seran72, next time your in town come see my compost pile and I will give you some red wigglers to put into yours. I am located just across the York Road from Farm-in-the Del (3 mile marker). D-mail me when your comming and we can put on some deer burgers (Kansas Whitetail...not mules). Would enjoy taling with you about your garden experiences here in MT.
seran72
Bozeman, MT

May 25, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8587038

Thanks, mraider! I would love that. I've been thinking I should get some worms to throw on my pile.

And thanks to PuddlePirate for the link, and to everyone for their encouraging comments.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2011
11:35 AM

Post #8632198

I like chinese cleavers or French chefs' knives, plus a sturdy chopping board.

"Whack whack whack" and things are diced.

No question that a slurry is the fastest way to turn scraps into humus, but 1/4" or 1/8" chunks ought to disapear pretty fast, too.

But I agree: only if the weather is warm, or the core of your pile is hot and damp.

Corey

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America