-
AuthorContent
peterplanter
durham
United Kingdom

May 20, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8575630

My daughter has just moved house and the new garden has a tall shrub/tree in it which we are concerned about.

The branches have long thorns and there is fruit like a small bright green cherry, a lot of which have turned into elongated light brown "pods", all over it.
As my daughter has small children and a puppy; could you tell us what this plant is and are these fruits/ pods at all harmful?

Kind regards,

Peter

Thumbnail by peterplanter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8575857

I am not sure what the tree is, but is that mold on the pods ?
fc_upland
Upland, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8575945

Looks a bit like : Actinidia arguta
suse
Bretten
Germany

May 20, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8576369

The thorny branches remind me of a kind of Prunus. Perhaps Prunus cerasifera ?

Moon, I agree with you. The fruits look moldy.
peterplanter
durham
United Kingdom

May 21, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8577799

A little more info. I have split the fruits open. The green "cherries" are indeed like very hard green cherries or perhaps olives with a stone inside. The pods do not appear to be mouldy, but when snapped are thick pods with a single tiny pea like seed inside.
The green "cherries/olives" and pods are formed on the same branches adjacent to each other.

The bush is about 12 feet high with thorns up to 3" long in places

We live in NE England.

Peter.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8578664

I have looked at a number of images for prunus cerisferia, wild cherry plum trees and some of the crab apples and goodness knows what wlse, I just can't seem to find anything that matches the whitish fruit/seed or the shape of the olive colored pod.

Perhaps Resin will wander in and have a look. I even looked at an ash tree that was listed as being confused with the cherry plum.
peterplanter
durham
United Kingdom

May 22, 2011
12:11 PM

Post #8579687

Thanks all for trying but I have looked at the trees you mention and wonder if the wild plum cherry might be a possibility.
A Thought! Could the pods be some sort of deformity of the green "cherry". Could the tiny seed inside the essentially empty "pods" be the start of the pip which is fully present in the round green versions.
In this case we would only be looking for a tree/bush which has big thorns and green fruits which look like raw cherries.
So far none of the green cherries have turned red, but a lot have simply shrivelled to small blackish things.
I attach a different photo showing the lower part of the bush, but it is another six feet high above what is shown.

Peter

This message was edited May 22, 2011 12:22 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8579807

Hi Peter. When it comes to plants and the diseases/disasters that cause problems, it seems just about anything is possible. A fungal infection could certainly cause deformities. Have you picked/opened any of the white fruit/pods on the tree? Does the white covering wipe off, cover only the outside, or extend through the pod?
peterplanter
durham
United Kingdom

May 23, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8581755

Thanks Moonhowl,

Here is a photo of the fruits and leaves from this bush. I am becoming more convinced that the "pods" are some form of deformed mini-plum.
As you can see the fruits vary from mini green plums/cherries to oddly shaped pods. The pods are indeed going moldy on the outside and shrivelling up. There is an occasional small seed inside the generally empty pods as shown.

Does this confirm that the bush is in fact a wild cherry plum as you first suggested?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8582147

I think it strengthens the probablility of the genus Prunus a bit more, but I am not experienced enough to give you a positive ID. Your concern was for the safety of your grandchildren...I would prefer some more knowledgable affirmation.
suse
Bretten
Germany

May 23, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8582435

Maybe it's a sloe Prunus spinosa and the "fruits" are galls, a disease caused by the fungiTaphrina pruni ?

http://www.hobby-garten-blog.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/narrentaschen.jpg
peterplanter
durham
United Kingdom

May 24, 2011
5:36 AM

Post #8583835

Dear Suse and Moonhowl,

I think Suse reference to the Taphrina disease and Moonhowls suggestion the the tree is a wild cherry plum may have solved the problem.
I have looked up wild cherry plum with reference to Taphrina disease and the images I have found are identical to what is evident on our bush.

It would seem that the bush is safe ( albeit we will have to dispose of existing infected fruits ), and might be worth keeping if the disease can be eradicated by cutting back all the infected branches.

Thank you all for your help and guidance,

Regards,

Peter.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8584093

You are welcome, Peter. Hope you are able to get things under control.

Kind Regards,
Moon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America