Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Landscaping: This popped up in my driveway....

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 4, Views: 131
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
1:43 PM

Post #8576081

I moved here over 3 yrs ago, and this is the first year that this came up. There are 2 plants, both about the same size. Normally I spray weed killer along the garage every summer as we tend to find thistles growing when it gets really hot. I don't know what this is, they are roughly 4-5" high and currently about 18" across, with tiny white flower buds (which don't last long). I'm guessing that wind or birds brought it here, or maybe my local squirrel population wanted to decorate outside the garage on the north side... LOL

Anyone have an idea just what this is? If it's a week, it will be pulled asap...

Thanks, and have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

Thumbnail by Kizmo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8576087

It's a weedy geranium

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8576096

a 'weedy' geranium???? LOL so it's definitely a weed, right?

Edited: I did a google on the term, looks like there are quite a few 'native' type geraniums that look similar. I'm wondering if I leave it there, will it spread and choke out any other weeds that may be lurking in there?

This message was edited May 20, 2011 5:04 PM

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 20, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8576249

If it is anything like the weedy gerarniums here, yes it will spread and choke out some things around it...but, it will spread...and spread and not just in that area...it will start cropping up in various places in your yard and flower beds.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8576345

lovely... it does have some neat looking leaves, but I don't want it to become invasive even tho it's growing on the other side of the garage at the moment... oh well, I have enough to take care of around here without adding to the weeding problems!

Thanks to all for the input!! I knew I could find an answer here!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America