Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8576756

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1161333/

Welcome to the new Practical Matters thread. Here, we share information and our day-to-day experiences of gardening while also dealing with conditions that physically limit us in some way. Contributors here are finding ways to garden and enjoy the outdoors while also handling challenges ranging from the energy deficits caused by Depression, the trials of TMB (Too Many Birthdays), Multiple Sclerosis, Fibro-myalgia, Degenerative Disk Disease, visual impairments and more. .Feel free to join us. We are an inclusive group. We don't even discriminate against the young and able-bodied. :-) Kay* .
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8576791

Thanks Kay,
In fact we need the young and able bodied to cheer us on.Hugs Nadene.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 21, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8577319

Kewl.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8577324

I love the Trials of "TMB"...well, not the trials actually, but the label of course! I really cannot believe that I am now in my 60's.
Heck , I'm a Woodstocker!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

May 21, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8577813

If the Lord does turn out to be willing and that creek don’t rise, Debra, could you post a picture of Vickie when she visits? Then, I can do a better job on the Granny Goon biker chick cartoon. Don’t worry, Vickie, I’ll still keep it vague looking enough that law enforcement agencies won’t be able to use it on the “Wanted” posters and you KNOW none of us will turn you in.
This morning I made the Vinegar Sling with apple cider vinegar this and no baking soda. It's more sour than the kiddie version, but Kay drank it down without hesitation. It got a wince from Papa Jim when he first tasted it, but he drank it down too. Of course, they both like Kimchi, Korean pickled cabbage. (Whew,that stuff can be wicked.) MK says my taste buds haven't quite grown up yet. :-)
When I think Woodstock, the first thing that comes to mind is Snoopy's bird buddy. The fact that the Woodstock generation managed to grow up, gives me hope for mine. :-) ~Nadine~

This message was edited May 21, 2011 3:04 PM

This message was edited May 21, 2011 3:17 PM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8579837

Is Vickie actually, truly gonna visit? So jealous.

We have a week vacation booked a hotel w/out an accessible room. Not that they have them and it's booked, just they don't have them. Yikes. Hope it is actually relaxing for DH!!!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 22, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8580150

Nadine, I will do my best. :-)

Carrie, she is coming to visit relatives and I will be meeting her when she stops to rest on the drive down.

Busy afternoon. Wish DG would fix it so we can post more than one photo at a time, but, in the meantime, planted four Zinnias, a Dahlberg Daisy, a Carl Sedum, five Cosmic Eye Coreopsis, a Daniel Deronda Clematis, a Malaya Garnet Clematis, a Roguchi Clematis, and three Vanilla Gazanias. Moved a Warminster Broom and three dwarf Canna tubers. And...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 22, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8580153

...this sad looking Summer Sorbet Caryopteris...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 22, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8580155

...should be looking like this joyous Summer Sorbet Caryopteris...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 22, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8580165

...was standing there, just pondering, when inspiration clubbed me over the head. Move it to the hole where we dug up the Graham Thomas Rose. Think it will be much happier with more sun.

I am very happy with the way the yard is looking. The Rose of Sharons are all in bloom (including the one recently moved to the curbside strip, 3/4 of the daylilies have scapes, new plants are thriving for the most part-this one is Geranium Rozanne- we've had some rain (expecting more later today), and the temps have been reasonable. Reveling in it and trying not to think about July and August. LOL

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 23, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8582805

Amargia Gladioli seem to like Texas. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8583252

Debra, I've got your red and yellow zinnia too. I get a thrill hearing what you have blooming not just for you but i know mine will be in bloom a couple weeks later.
Actually all, I'm going to visit Debra and will visit the family since I'm already that way. I'm gettin more excited everyday. Now if only we ALL could get together.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

May 23, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8583386

Yeah, me too. It seems like everytime we get a little extra money set aside for a trip. something happens to gobble it up. I don't think MK and PJ could travel rough anymore. Flying to Dallas, then renting a RV seems the way to go. Gas prices are UNREAL! I'll say it again, if we are going to have gas prices like Europe's, we need a public transportation system like Europe's. I liked traveling by train.
MK planted some rose periwinkle in the west boundary bed of the CanDo Garden. We are hoping the pink vinca and the pink oxalis will work as a sort of tag team. The idea is the rose periwinkle will pick up the pink-flowered groundcover theme when the oxalis takes its summer siesta. Tropical periwinkle can take the heat.
I planted some scarlet sage in the bed with the coreopsis and blue salvia. That way I will still get the primary colors combo I want even if my pomegranate doesn’t fruit this year. I’ve only seen blooms on four of the pomegranate bushes and the one in the center of my bed is not among those I saw flowers on. It seems odd to me the pomegranate bushes in partial shade will be the first to produce fruit. I’m guessing it is because those bushes haven’t suffered as much from the July/August heat stresses so they’ve matured faster. My little bed in the Standing Garden is in full sun.
PJ started making perfume oil from what he calls gardenia and MK calls Cape Jasmine. calling the perfume by its traditional name, “Full Moon Oil," settled part of their dispute. This is one plant that will end up being called by its botanical name. Lucky for me Gardenia jasminoides rolls easily off the tongue. I told them they could compromise by referring to it by its Japanese nane, “kuchinashi.” (≧∇≦) Mk couldn't quite wrap her tongue around it.
Your place looks gorgeous, Debra. Kudos for achieving a lush look working mostly with plants that need little water. ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 24, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8585024

I am so happy with my yard today. :-)

Caryopteris Sunshine Blue

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8585125

that is a very stunning yellow/green!!
What is it?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 24, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8585317

It is a Caryopteris Sunshine Blue shrub. Blue Spirea, I think it is sometimes called. :-)

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
10:43 AM

Post #8586582

Well,a big "Duh" for me!! I just noticed that 8indeed it had already been labeled above your photo.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 25, 2011
11:03 AM

Post #8586622

i don't mind saying it again. love these shrubs. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8586741

Hello everyone! I'm trying to keep up with composition lessons and two articles a month
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 25, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8586858

hi carrie!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8587415

I had catfish at my birthday dinner in honor of scraps - my first experience with it and it was delicious! (The Cheesecake Factory Recipe probably didn't hurt...)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 25, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8587611

I love catfish and hushpuppies!!!
The ‘Red Sentinel’ astilbe I ordered finally came in. Kay put it in the ground for me. The temps are back up in the 90’s, but we are hoping the astilbe won’t suffer much from heat stress since they are in the shade. We still have some black raspberries to plant, but they will initially go into a cool micro-climate. Kay says she won’t buy any more plants until it cools off. Yeah. Right. Sure. ;-) (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 26, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8588407

Then you have time to get more Daylily space ready for September, right? I, um, sorta let go of control on the eBay seller's listings from whom I got those lovely reds you saw earlier, Jim. And nine more Daylilies later...if they are as generous as the first batch, you guys will need the space when I share...LOL

Check these out. Think Nadine will like one or two of them? Most are rebloomers and some are fragrant, too, for Kay.

Third Witch
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/142605/

Teenie Girl
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/125522/

Geneva Firetruck
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/211733/

Mary Lightfine
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/115567/

Dixie Land Band
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/9381/

Francis of Assisi
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/28881/

Vatican City
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/19523/

Darker Shade
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=182967&n=DARKER-SHADE---DF---L3D---Stamile-1992---DAYLILY

Ruby Fantasy
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=165196&n=RUBY-FANTASY---DF---L3J---Kirchhoff-D-2002---DAYLILY

PlantiMcPlanter
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8589520

Whoa, those are some beauties!!!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 26, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8589524

Oh, my gosh! Got the Daylilies today. Look at the bonus ones he sent.

Kachina Dancer
http://www.paradisegarden.com/shop/product.php?id=PGD1393&browse=1

Safe Island
http://www.mydaylilies.com/daylily-gallery/daylily-images-a-z/s/safe-island-david-kirchhoff-2001-9204

Zoro's Blade
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=52289&n=ZOROS-BLADE---DF---L2G---Shooter-F-2002---DAYLILY--

I love this seller. :-) [yippee, hurray, cartwheels!!!]
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 26, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8589554

Havent run across a seller like this one in a long time. He takes the time to consider the order and matches the bonuses to the same colorway and type. A whole new bed is forming in my head and I'll start rounding up the worker bees to get to digging up a big ol' chunk of the front yard sometime next week.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8590695

Oh boy, more daylilies for Jim and Nadi to check out and debate the merits of. Jim’s favorites among the first batch were the ‘Mary Lightfine’ and ‘Dixieland Band’ while Nadi’s favorites were ‘Vatican City’ and ‘Darker Shade’. That surprised me. I thought it would be just the opposite. That will teach me to think. :-)
I don’t mind listening to their arguments over the merits of various flowers. A VIP can pick up on interesting visual details in the course of their debates.
Will you put your new acquisitions in holding containers until fall temps arrive, Debra? Or, put them directly in the ground? That’s always a tough decision for me. I don’t dare leave anything in a container smaller than one gallon in the summer. Larger is even better. They dry out too fast and the soil can really heat up. On the other hand, if it is in the ground, I’m always afraid I will not give it the special attention it needs to become well established. I have so much going on over such a wide area I can forget things that aren’t right in my face on a daily basis. (That could be a VIP thing since we don’t get ongoing visual reminders.) Sometimes, I think it would be nicer to have a smaller space. It is like writing. I’ve read short stories that seemed perfect. The perfectly worded novel has yet to be written. It would feel like a luxury to have the time to pay more attention to details. I would not be able to have many of the gentle giants I so love, however, such as mature pecan trees so a semi-wild look it is for Amargia.
I usually compromised with a nursery bed to get new perennials through their first summer, but I want to experiment with Vickie’s Styrofoam planter idea. They are very inexpensive this time of year and I suspect the Styrofoam might help stabilize the soil temp. If a Styrofoam minnow bucket could do that I wouldn’t have to use such large volumes of soil.
Great, Planti, I just noticed your dandelion oil making thread is up. k*
PlantiMcPlanter
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8591020

Made some double strength oil this time around, Kay. It works great but is not the best smelling oil I've made. So I don't care if I stink if it helps pain. Fortunately, my DH uses it, too, so we can smell weird together :) LOL

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8591151

I received a surprise in the mail today. It was a good size box marked 'this end up...live plants'. the return address label showed one familiar Jack--oops---Donkey and also bore the bold nameArmagia! I was so excited to see what was in the box.
Let me tell you, for those who have never experienced opening one of Jim's (or perhaps Kay's) securely packed and taped, nearly impossible packages to open- it was a definite challenge. ^_^ But definitely worth the work unpacking!!

Inside was a hand painted bucket (perhaps a recycled paint can (plastic though). The rim at the top is painted an exquisitely bright blue. Around the can "walls" were beautiful Bluebirds!! On one side they are on a black background and the other half has a white background. Carefully and lovingly planted inside are those lovely pink flowering Shamrocks.

It is beautiful and so special! Thank You so much. I just love you guys!!

BirdieBlue/ Sheri ^_^
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 27, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8591315

Glad you like it, Sheri. I hope that is enough Fairy Bells to finish off the project you were considering. Yes, that is one of Nadine's paint cans turned hanging planter recycles. She painted that one specifically with you in mind so you can have a little piece of the outdoors on those days when it is difficult to actually get outside. Pink oxalis makes an easy houseplant that stays in flower much of the time.
Didn't someone say very recently on this thread that they were not going to buy anymore plants this year? That is curious since there seem to be some new green arrivals on the porch in nursery pots. They suspiciously showed up after a shopping trip on which I wasn't invited. More rose periwinkles and a new kind of verbena. Geez, she didn't eve last 48 hours. LOL.
Your dandelion oil has got to smell better than my first attempt at making gardenia oil. Man, the smell is strong! I might use a drop or two in candles or something. Think I put in too many flowers. Potpourri might be a better idea for me.
Debra, we will just have to describe the bonuses to Kay. I don't think there will be any back and forth about favorites this time. I bet Nadine will like 'Safe Island' best too. Those are all gorgeous. Looking forward to see how you put things together. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 27, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8591592

Think I will put the Daylilies in containers until Fall. The container area is shaded from about 2:00 on, so potted plants tend to do okay. Only had enough empties today to dig in two. Getting more tomorrow before the roots on the others dry out. Each one is a double fan, and so far, each seems to be big enough to separate into at least two distinct Daylilies. Containers should give all enough time to develop strong root systems, and give me a couple of months to have a new planting area cleared. (And you guys enough time to figure out where you will put the ones I'll be shipping to Amargia in September.) Giving some of the established ones away of which I have multiples, but still not making enough room to put in all the new ones. It's a fun conundrum, though. :-)

I missed putting this one on the bonus list: Young Planet. It is my favorite of the bonuses.
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=187968&n=YOUNG-PLANET---DF---B12D---Santa-Lucia-2002---DAYLILY

Nadine, if you like Safe Island, you might like this one, too. It's called Bells and Whistles. Blooming yesterday.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8591634

Oh how I love Daylilies. I have a few. Love that peach colored one with the ruffled edges and Oh my how stunningly beautiful that crimson one it
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 27, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8591737

Sheri, I'm getting addicted to them. :-)
Debra
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8591786

Those daylillys are to die for.
NO ONE MISSED ME!!!! We had a tornado hit our local town and one near us. No damage here. but have had no electricity or phone for a couple of days. The local Humane Society was totally destroyed.
Have had Daves Garden withdrawels.
Dillen dog got sick and I had to dodge downed trees and poles to take him to vet. After antibiotics hes much better.
My freezer partially unthawed and today,have been making tomato sauce and soup to refreeze.
We've also had another bear move in back of our place today.Hope he moves on.
I have missed you so much and am very glad to be back on line.
Hugs to all,
Vickie
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 27, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8591900

Glad you're back and safe, vickie.

hugs, katie
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8591926

Thanks Katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 28, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8592312

Vickie, honestly, I thought you were getting ready for your trip. I am so looking forward to seeing you. Very glad you are safe and that Dillen-dog is better. Feel sad about the Humane Society. Storms respect no one and nothing.

hi katie!

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8592452

{{{{Hugs Vickie}}}}

I'm so glad to learn you are OK. We have had severe storms and tornadoes and T Watches. Many big old trees down on cars, houses and blocking streets.

So far I have been kept safe under the shelter of His wings. My young Poodle, Pookie is terrified of thunder. Bless his little heart, he goes and hides under my bed coaxed him out and he either sat on my feet back to me such that he could watch out for Boogie Monsters . he finally relaxed enough to lay down at my feet, but made sure he stayed in physical contact with me. Old Elvis is so deaf, I doubt he can even hear the thunder.

Blessings and Hugs to all my friends out there,
Sheri

I made a big mistake unknowingly yesterday. I had set my special new bluebird pot of pink oxalis outside in the shade. The rain later on sort of crept under thr paint in a few places. I of course immediately brought it inside and am hoping al will dry out well.. It actually has a very interestind 'crackeling' effict now.
PlantiMcPlanter
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8592487

Glad you are all right, Vickie...though it sounds like a hard time. The weather is so violent!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 28, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8592751

Gladiola from Amargia.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 28, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8592752

Golden Child Daylily.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 28, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8592758

In front of our warehouse. Used to be a tree there. Half died, so they took it all down. Removed most of the stump and roots, and landlord said I could plant. Horse herb is pretty thick, and it is hot today, so didn't expand the area. Bringing loppers on Monday to trim up those leftover roots to the right I pulled up. Looks a little forlorn because it is so small in the middle of all that green stuff. Might rim the bed with a short decorative fence inside the paver border (which I will finish on Monday because I only brought eight :/). Make it look more like it was intentional. :-) Lined the back with baby Iris. Centered a Buddleia Petite Purple. Filled in with eight Mexican Heathers, five trailing lavender Lantanas, and about 25 Safari Tangerine Marigolds. Justification for the plug trays I bought from an obsessive sense of greed... LOL Only problem is now I have to carry water buckets from the breakroom outside-no faucet in front. Maybe I can 'persuade' some of my young employees that watering will make the boss happy? [evil grin]

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 28, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8592769

Also opened this morning. Think is it Chicago Apache, but foolish me relied on memory instead of marking it when I planted it.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8593041

Wow!! That 'Armagia' glad is one of the most beautiful and stunning that I've ever seen!!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 28, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8593201

Kay and Jim were very generous in sending me some bulbs. :-)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

May 28, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8593291

I’ll make you one specifically for outside, Sheri. It would be helpful to know, was it the glitter paint that cracked under outdoor conditions? Or, the filler I used along the rim. I filled the lip of the can so when someone watered the water wouldn’t collect and attract mosquitoes or cause the metal rim to rust. The rims always seem to be metal even when the buckets themselves are plastic.) Do you think an outside layer of clear sealant would help? We always have empty paint cans around and really need to find a useful way to recycle them. Y’all can be my quality control and creative advisors. Amargia’s plants will come in cans from now on. lol. Hey, I’ll put glads in your next one, Sheri. And, I can make your employees their own personalized water buckets, Debra. lol.
By accident we discovered birds like to nest in them. I had a bunch of them hung on a bungee cord in PJ’s workshop. Two Mama birds built nest in the buckets and successfully raised their hatchlings. PJ is afraid since they associate his workshop with home. More will want to nest there next year. He thinks if we hang some buckets with holes drilled in the bottoms just outside his workshop under the eaves, they will not be so tempted to nest inside. That means they need to stand up to southern outdoor conditions at least a year.
PJ tried to call and check on you, Vickie, but couldn’t get through. So glad to hear you are okay. Wow, your part of the world is getting hit hard this year! It’s like one thing on top of another. Is Dylan very old? I noticed Fenny is getting gray around her muzzle. That doesn’t seem possible, but MK says large breed dogs have shorter life spans. Fenny IS big. Tater-dog seems to be in less pain and has simply adapted to getting around on three legs. I saw her chasing a squirrel yesterday. She’s never caught a squirrel, even when she had four good legs so she wasn’t very disappointed when she didn’t catch it, but she was booking! .
MK did keep her word about not buying any more plants until fall. I bought the ones PJ saw on the porch. They were on sale and verbena is PURPLE. Purple was the first color I loved. You never forget your first love. lol.
I agree with you about beneficial things that smell a little odd, Planti. Drinking vinegar sling gives your sweat a vaguely ammonia smell, but I would rather have that than dare the hazards of the mosquitoes and gnats themselves or the harsh chemicals in most effective repellents. It was horrible the time I had repellent on my face and chemical laden sweat got in my eye.
Actually, Debra, ‘Safe Island’ was my second choice. ‘Kachina Dancer’ is the one that grabbed me in that group. ‘Golden Child’ is stunning though.
The gladiolas look happy and right at home. People around here call them wild glads because they’ve naturalized. Officially, they are Gladiolus dalenii ‘African Parrot’. I can remember helping MK rescued the original start of those glads from around the foundation of an abandoned farmhouse that had burnt down. A red and a soft pink variety were in with the ‘Parrot’. Every Summer MK would say she was sure she had all the pink and red ones separated out. The next summer there would always be more pinks and reds nestled in among the orange/yellow ‘Parrot’. So, don’t be too surprised if you get some surprises from them.
I’m glad we have as much land as we do. If we had less land, I would not get to create different garden rooms with such diverse looks. You can have a garden for every mood with six acres and I’m a moody person. I need to go research how to multiply PJ’s lily for my garden. You never know when a dark mood will strike. :-) ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 28, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8593409

Ooh, pretty! Well worth the effort to propagate. Raided some pots from work (dead plants not yet discarded). Still not enough, so did a make-do cramming three cultivars into that blue box for now. I was right that all would separate into at least two plants. The Kachina Dancer actually separated in to three fans and/or seedlings. [grin] Dixie Land Band made it to five. :-D

Received some historic Iris bulbs today, have to find a place to put them, too. Think I'd like to keep them all together. Have a little time on those, though.

This message was edited May 28, 2011 8:06 PM

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 28, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8593422

Here are the other pots with James Clark, Chinese Chariot, Tupac Amaru, etc. Stuck Young Planet in the big container with the Chocolate Mint just peeking up over the rim.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

May 29, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8594934

\debra. it looks like you've found a place your new green babies like.
I'm paining pots this afternoon. Real ones, designed for that purpose. :-)
PJ really does have a bird issue in his workshop. We were cleaning up after the dog's in the yard and I went to get the extra tools and found another nest. Some silly bird built a nest in the extra pooper scooper hanging on the back wall. ROFL ~N~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 29, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8595123

Snake in the Grass Boo has a scape on it already. Yea!

Sounds like fun on the painting.

Poor birdies, so confused.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 29, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8595140

Won't look this lush come August, but it's pretty now. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8595305

It was the paint around the side of the bucket. It appeared to have 'caught' some of the rain water which got between the paint and the plastic wall of the bucket. The metallic edging held up just fine.

Oh my, I know just where the parrot glad will go ^_^

Hugs all around,

Sheri
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 29, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8595487

Vickie, supposed to be really hot when you come down next weekend. Be careful. :-)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 30, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8597581

Whatever that last red Daylily is, it ain't a Chicago Apache. THIS one is a Chicago Apache (according to the tag, anyway, :-)

The Chinese Chariot has a scape today, yippee!

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 30, 2011
9:51 PM

Post #8598438

Some of the cultivar names given to flowers have me shaking my head, but ‘Chinese Chariot’ was a good choice for that daylily. That is truly what I would call Chinese red. The nursery industry as a whole has a very vivid imagination when it comes to color. As an example, consider how often you see ‘blue’ in the cultivar name of a flower that is undeniably lavender. (Jim)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2011
1:11 AM

Post #8598523

Jim those are the flowers that you will never see a true blue color. Reckon we gardeners have a wild imagination.
It's getting close to time to hit the road.Can't hardly stand it. Did some packing and digging today. Doing a few odds and ends.Am moving my containers to the front yard. That is a slow job.Have some things to do in town tomorrow.
LOL Debra, Is it any otherway in TX the rest of the summer.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 31, 2011
7:55 AM

Post #8599001

Jim, think I was confusing. The photo is Chicago Apache according to the label in the ground. Chinese Chariot has a lot more yellow in the throat. It should be open by early next week. Was excited because the Snake and Chinese are new and in containers. Didn't expect scapes this year.

Vicki, nope. LOL Temps above normal this week. Depressing to think we've already settled into the Summer pattern.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8599846

In some garden writing, I've seen plants referred to as being "nurserymen's blue." :-) I can rembember learning the hard way about nurserymen's relative color pperception when I ordered a blue rose. I guess it was the closest to blue any breder had achieved at that time. I should have been tippped off by the fact the baby blue rose shown in the catalog was a drawing, not a photo.
Nadine is very determined to propogate Jim's "black lily" (Burgundy to the uninitiated.) 'Sungod' or 'Landini', not sure anymore.) She's doing it by scales, bulblets and a layering technique she made up herself. I'll see if I can get Jim to take a photo of the latter. It is...highly creative. :-) It might even work.
Are you driving down by yourself, Vickie? There is a lot of Texas when you're traveling solo.
Cannas will go in the mail tomorrow, Carrie, unless you tell me otherwise. It sounded like you had your hands too full recently to worry about plants. They should actually appreciate your cooler temps now. . k*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 31, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8599980

The Darker Shade Daylily already has a scape!!!

Daylily City, here, has room for more residents, don't you think?

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2011
11:17 PM

Post #8603208

Yep! I'll be driving by myself. Love to drive. I'll be going I-20 to OK than 259 south to I-30. Its country most of the way. My angel always takes care of me. (little kids and fools, ya know)
Its not much of TX to travel since its in NE TX.I'll be mostly in OKLA. I know the road well. I figure it'll take about 5 hours. My car is in good shape and should'nt have any trouble. One can now drive 80 mph on TX INTERSTATE. Of course all Texans did anyway,Now they probably go 90.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

June 2, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8604739

Everyone of us PJ taught to drive has a little visor clip for our cars that says, "Never drive faster than your gardian angel can fly." lol
I miss CT today. Froggie thermometer said it got up to 100 degrees and he lives in the shade of the porch.
Wow, Debra, do you have any idea how many different kinds of daylilies you have now? Do you use your Gardener's Journal in "My Tools" to keep up with them all? Each of us here were trying to keep our own Journals, but have now decided that is a waste of valuable time. Our journal listings were virtually identical anyway. We are putting everything into MK's Journal since she is a little more consistent about keeping it current. It will be easier to enter info once in one location. PJ said it was like being in the AF again. Everything in triplicates. :-)
I based my propagation method for the “black” lily on techniques I’ve seen MK use. What I did varied only in detail. I’ve seen MK form small cones she wraps around the stems of plants from any material that will contain soil and hold up to the weather for a few months.
She carefully damages the stem at a point she thinks has potential in order to allow rooting hormone access to the inner layer of the stem, dabs on rooting hormone, wraps the cone around the stem and fills it with a light potting soil. She usually has a rooted cutting in a month or so. My propagation technique might look a little more punky, but it is basically the same idea. The lily was very tall. There was the bottom portion of an old wrought iron chair sitting around. (The legs and seat were intact. MK used the arms and back in another project.) The seat grid was wide enough to allow the flowers and stem of the lily to pass through. I expanded the hole in the bottom of a 1-gal nursery pot enough to let the lily pass through it undamaged, sat the nursery pot on the chair seat with the lily stem threaded through it. I thought removing the leaves that were inside the pot was enough damage for the rooting hormone to do its thing. I dabbed hormone where I wanted the roots to emerge and filled the pot with a good soil. If this works, it should develop roots halfway up the stem where the stem goes through the pot of soil. I’ll snip it off below the pot in a month or two. I should have a well rooted lily by then without damaging the one in the ground. It needed to be shorter anyway. It was looking leggy.
This is a lot prettier than my propagation experiment. It was another accidental acquisition much like the pink glads. It was mixed in with some ditch lilies I dug up for more color in the Children's Garden. I chose ditch lilies for bordering that garden because the color worked well and any plant in the Children's Garden needs to be tough. Also, it needed to be a plant no one would get too upset about if it were damaged. I will move this cutie to the west border of the CanDo Container Garden. That is lean sandy soil we are still in the process of amending, but I think Pinkie can handle it. She may look delicate because of the color, but she held her own among ditch lilies for years.
MK took a prescription muscle relaxer after she over did yesterday. She slept to 1-o-clock today. One of her daughters may come and stay with us while she gets back on her feet.. She fell off the wagon HARD after she found out her husband cheated, but she checked herself in for detox and has been sober for a month now. She says she is ready to pick up the pieces and put together a new life for herself. That is MK’s and PJ’s rule. They will do what they can to help you as long as you are doing whatever you can to help yourself. She’s very pretty and extremely intelligent.
No guy is worth self-destructing over. ! I hope she makes it. We are shuffling things around to create room for her. ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8606502

I hope your car has good air conditioning, Vickie! Man, it's hot.
I’ve always assumed that pale pink daylily is the more demure cousin of the tawny daylily (a.k.a.: tiger lily, ditch lily, wild orange daylily, Hemerocalis fulva) Nadine thinks Pinkie is the old variety called ‘Mrs. Nesmith’s clone’ since it doesn’t match the photos she found of the straight species, Hemerocalis fulva rosea. Come to think of it, I’ve never noticed that it spreads by seed. Lots of root tubers, however. That must be how it can hang with its outlaw cousin and not be crowded out or cross with them. Tawny daylilies ARE outlaws for real in MN, but they still have a place here because our soil is so poor in nutrients and they can stand up to heat. 101, today. Humidity is low so I feel like I’m roasting. I’m more accustomed to being steamed. :-).
Nadine is painting at a furious pace to clear out the art room for occupancy. I’ve stacked up things to be painted in that room.
I can feel a bulblet already forming on the burgundy lily’s scale. I’ve heard of propagating lilies by bulb scales. Most of the lilies I have multiply so freely by division, I’ve never actually worked with the scales. It is something I will try for slower multiplying lilies. The method Nadi is using is simpler than the one I knew of.
We got behind on b’days. Jim is getting packages out today. Ever notice how b’day tend to clump around May and August. I read somewhere Aug. and Sept. were the most common birth months. In my little family, May and June win. I have 4 GC’s born this time of year. Only one in Aug. k*
PlantiMcPlanter
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8608129

Just a shout out from eastern Washington...we're having our first warm days of the season today and tomorrow. It's been a cold and rainy spring. I'm frustrated since I have a cold and don't adapt quickly to weather changes. I'm at that point where I want the garden all planted, the sod turned for new beds and generally wish I had a team of 5 burly guys to do my bidding!

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 4, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8608540

Aiiiiiii, I am officially obsessed. Got those two bright color schemes in my head insisting I buy each and every one, with occasional divergence to a paler version. Ordered seven more daylilies from the same vendor:

Heavenly Beginnings
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/115581/

Mary's Baby
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/126653/

Sturm und Drang
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/126661/

Ninja Knight
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/16126/

Sanford Winery
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=184315&n=SANFORD-WINERY---DF---L4J---Kirchhoff-D-2002---DAYLILY

Early Days
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=230605590502&nma=true&rt=nc&si=rmQOibe0%252FAFQ6cAHusvy05TYfsc%253D

Cherokee Star
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/11430/

Add in some of the new bonuses from the last order:

Blue Venture
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/13005/

Candle in the Wind
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/133831/

Suspended in Time
No photo
http://www.daylilies.org/DaylilyDB/detail.php?id=146804&name=Suspended%20in%20Time

That means I have 30 cultivars, multiple fans of each, waiting to go in the ground or be shipped. Plus the new bonuses being sent with these last seven. Good thing I already planned to send a passel of 'em to Amargia come September. :-)
========================================================================

Vickie and I missed each other yesterday. She got stuck in construction traffic on the way down. I ran out of time and had to head back before she got in. :/ I am hoping we can meet up before she heads home.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

June 5, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8610941

That's it. I'm summering in E. Washington from now one. Today has been another scortcher and there is no change in sight. If you find a source for young, brawny, helpful males, Planti, please share. A few weeks ago, a Mormon missionary out on a walk saw me out in the yard struggling with something heavy and offered his assistance. (No conversion required.) I think that is the only time I have EVER had a man my own age freely offer to do physical work without being paid for it.
Oooooo, Debra, I like the elegant simplicity of 'Candle in the Wind'. There aren't many daylilies that close to white, are there? It is a good thing I have achieved my majority. If I were a few years younger the daylily police would get you for contributing to the delinquency of a minor gardener. I've bookmarked the Clemson University website. It is a good starting point for daylily newbies in the south. They have a dictionary so I can learn to speak daylily. ~N~
http://www.scnla.com/Article%20of%20the%20Month_06_06.html

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 5, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8610981

...and Planti, if you find any middle-aged helpful males, send 'em MY way. they don't even have to be brawny-just not skinny! LOL
PlantiMcPlanter
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8612551

Hahah...I had a dream last night that I was sent 5 clones to do whatever I asked. I set one to the laundry, one to cooking, one to clean all the floors. Woke up before I could assign the rest! hahaha...
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 8, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8618753

Got my last batch of Daylilies. Thrilled with the ones I ordered-Awesome Bob is the biggest Daylily fan/bulb/rhizome/whatever they are called that I have ever seen. Happy with a couple of the bonuses, most are not to my taste. But I have plenty of places for them to find new homes. Not to worry, Jim, none of the pink ones in this batch will find their way to Alabama. (snicker, chortle, snort) Here are the bonuses.

Sledge Hammer
http://www.daylilybiz.com/html/sledge_hammer.html

Desiree
http://www.mydaylilies.com/daylily-gallery/daylily-images-a-z/d/desiree-steve-moldovan-1997-5907

Joan Derifield
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/83321/

Bill Fall
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/284872/

Killer
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/63278/

Circle of Life
http://smokeysdaylilygardens.com/Itemdata.php?item=Circle%20Of%20Life

One Step Beyond
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/246135/

Brazilian Exotic
http://daylilydream.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BrazilianExotic
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 9, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8620724

Planti, I would have to clone Kay if the goal were to get things done around here. If I cloned myself, I would have a bunch of me’s sitting around playing computer games and eating too much. Being clones of me, it doesn’t seem likely they would take orders from me. I mean, I tell myself to do stuff all the time and I rarely listen to myself. I’m not sure I could afford to feed 5 me’s anyway. :-)
Debra, I’m interested in seeing how you work ‘Sledge Hammer’ into the garden. I would be tempted to make it a solitary planting. I’d be afraid it would steal the thunder from less dramatic beauties. If I were naming it, I’d have called it ‘Drama Queen’. lol. There must have already been a daylily called that. We all agreed ‘Circle of Life’ is pretty. That’s a first for us! (Jim)

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8623209

Jim says he doesn’t like colors that weren’t in his basic crayon box as a child. (I am sure there was a pink in the 16-count Crayola box. (His sister must have taken it.) Neither he nor Nadi appreciate subtle in-between colors such as the mauve of ‘One Step Beyond’. When I could still discern colors, I liked colors like that. In the right hands, I think they bring a sophisticated look to a garden. But then, I was a 64-count crayon box kind of girl.
These days I don’t think about colors too much. Or, perhaps, it would be more accurate to say thinking about them is all I can do. White and bright yellow are about the only bloom colors I can still see in the garden….and some of Debra’s oranges and reds. lol.
I do want to keep the browned down, September colors in front of the house and barn since they are both painted a soft harvest gold with chocolate brown accents. That area encompasses my Fragrance Garden. It is fortunate that white is the dominate color for fragrant plants so I don’t have to worry about things clashing much. Jim and Nadi are welcome to play with the bright and dark shades elsewhere to their hearts content.
The police are searching nearby for a murderer on foot and on the run so Jim has insisted Nadine and I stay inside today. It has been a plotting, planning and organizing day for me. Jim watered and gave Tater-dog her summer clipping. Nadine has been writing and drawing.
Don’t work too hard this weekend. Debra. Plants can be replaced. You can’t be.
5 of me? Heaven forbid! But, I wouldn’t mind having a few Linda Cobb (The Queen of Clean) clones around here. K*
PlantiMcPlanter
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8623677

I'm always in awe of the gardens in Armagia, though I can't keep them straight worth a hoot. LOL

You all are right...I don't need 5 more "me"s hanging around. We would probably all flare up on the same days and we don't have near enough recliners for that! Maybe what I wish (which is kinda stupid in the first place) is to be able to afford helpers. Just someone who could do the digging in the garden and then someone to clean house. Is that too much to wish for? LOL!!! Anyway, it's not going to happen in this life so I'd better get over it.

I'm trying not to look at those daylilies too long...pretty soon I start thinking what a great idea it would be to have more daylilies... Dangerous.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 11, 2011
7:59 AM

Post #8623810

Kay, ditto me on the Cobb clones. I don't dust or sweep and Russell-dog sheds a LOT. And one of them can put the second paint coat on the ceiling of the spare room--that's been waiting for the second coat for about four years, now. :-D

The early summer heat hasn't zapped me too hard, yet, but I am being careful. Stocked up on Gatorade (on sale-yea!). With it still cooling down to the low to mid-70s overnight, it has stayed temperate enough that I can spend about an hour each evening outside. So there isn't as much to do on Sundays. Have to get pots for some of the Daylilies still waiting in the shipping box. And work the babies Vickie brought down into the yard. Aiiiiii, what she managed to cram into a 2006 Pontiac Gran Prix! Everything was in containers. Dianthus, Iris, Daylilies, Creeping Phlox, a three-foot shrub and some other plants I don't recognize--she even brought down a great big Forsythia! Set the pot on the back floorboard and the branches stretched the full width of the back seat. That one is going somewhere in front, for sure. :-)

We have some 3-gallon size plastic containers at the office that can be rinsed, have the tops cut off, and a few holes drilled in the bottom to make nice planters for the Daylilies. Only cost is a little water and some elbow grease! For my grandniece, that is, who is rinsing as I type. My kind of deal. :-) We also received several small office-type trashcans in a dropped off recycle load. I am recycling some of THEM into temporary Daylily containers, too. I put the Sturm und Drang and Ninja Knight in the ground yesterday. Planted one each Raspberry Truffle, Harvest Moon, Milkshake, and Sunrise Echinaceas, and a May Night Salvia. Gathered a few potted annuals together for one of the office kids to take home. Hopefully, I will have enough energy after work today to do a little more. Forecasted temps at close to 100 every day for the next week at a minimum. No rain in sight. Might have picked the wrong summer to be extravagant with putting in new plants. Guess it will force me to get up at sunrise to water, at least on Saturdays. Have to be at work by 7:30 anyway, maybe it won't be so painful to give up that extra 45 minutes sleep on that onnnnnnnnne day. LOL

Nadine, there is a Daylily named, "Dracula" and I have it on the list for next purchase. There is also one called, Quote the Raven (they didn't get the name quite right, but close enough). I like the work of Poe, only I don't really care for the way the Daylily looks in photos. Pondering that one for awhile. But Dracula I HAVE to get to go with the Bela Lugosi. Don't you think?

Chinese Chariot was open this morning. The red is much darker and more brownish than the web photos. This picture still isn't a true representation, but it's close. It is good I've been getting all the different Daylily variations. Because no telling what colors will actually come out under the conditions here. See how I rationalize my growing addiction? [grin]

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 11, 2011
8:07 AM

Post #8623816

Oooh, Planti, I know exactly what you mean. Pulled photos and descriptions of the 30 Daylilies waiting for pots or planting. Had them printed six to a page and cut them all out. Shuffling them around to get the "best" layout. But STILL looking at the seller's other stuff for the next purchase I KNOW I'm not going to try to resist making.

For extra labor, I make arrangements with the college kids at work. Sometimes they need book money, or they've gotten an expensive traffic ticket, and we barter my loan for their time. Sometimes I just pay them outright at $10/hr. Sometimes, I just be pitiful and say I'm old and broke, would you come do this one little thing for me? LOL If there is a high school or college close to you, and you have a skill or service you want to trade--as simple as maybe laundry or typing papers, just something not too strenuous--OR if you find a community service program (municipal, school, or church?)where the kids need hours--betcha you can make a deal.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8624118

Don't forget boyscouts. They can earn badges.
I am back home. I had so-o-o much fun but it is good to be back home. Jerry took good care of my plants and they are doing good.I have some baby tomatoes.
Don't let Debra fool you. She looks like a teenager.You think the car was loaded on the way down there. You should have seen it on the way back. I bought a good supply of scrapbook supplys from Michaels.One small angel statue and one medium sleeping angel cherub statue,2 weedeaters,some grocerys. I got about 10 wooden birdhouses about the size of a cup. Am going to paint them and use them for Christmas tree decorations.I spent 6 hours in Michaels. Was as much fun a going to Disney World.
Did'nt see a health report from you guys Are all of you doing good?
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 12, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8625635

Boyscouts...hmmm...wouldn't that also--maybe, possibly--mean middle-aged male troop leaders, hmmm?...[grin]

Vickie, a 54-year-old, graying, sagging, overweight, lined teenager. Sort of a blurry version of Dorian Gray's portrait. LOL Comes from never having borne children. Childbirth immediately sucks the youthful looks out of ANYONE!!!! ROFL

I once moved my entire apartment in a Ford Fiesta--the original tin-can matchbox model. (was right after divorce and didn't have a bed or couch at the time, worked okee fine). Women know how to pack for maximum efficiency. :-D

It is safe--now--to let me in Michaels. I have new addiction: Daylilies...must...have...Daylilies...

Jim and Kay, sending you a fan of this one in September. It is so gorgeous, you have to have it. Didn't get up at sunrise, but did go out at 7:30 this morning. Yea, me! A first! Stayed until 9:00 when the sun got too high over the neighbor's trees. Watered the new plants, the containers, and the house foundation in front and on the West side. Discovered a hand miter saw will, indeed, cut off thick plastic container tops, but it would be MUUUUUCH easier with power tools. Unless I get an energy spurt later today, Chuy has an extra job to do for me this week. Used this one to temporarily pot the Awesome Bob Daylily I got for my boss, Bob, as a Father's Day gift. It was Awesome or Thingamabob. Didn't think he'd quite care for the latter, so spent the (deep breath) $47.00 on his Awesome-ness. It is HUGE. Have never seen a Daylily that big before--or spent that much money on a FLOWER before. Since Bob is 6'3" and weighs 350, seems appropriate for him. :-)

This message was edited Jun 12, 2011 3:31 PM

This message was edited Jun 12, 2011 6:22 PM

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 12, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8625748

Sawed off two more tops.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8625960

I went from Michael addiction to flower adiction and have come full circle back to Michaels or actually Hobby Lobby here. I told DD I don't smoke or drink and one has to be addicted to something.
Don't let Debra fool you, she is a very young looking girl.
Was your Fiesta orange? Ours was. That was one good car. We went camping in it. It climbed these mountains good. We were living in Tx at the time and vacationing up here.
Those are beautiful pots. Ilove that blue. Where did you get the containers? I've got 5gal yellow ones from DD,s catlitter.And white ones from school shortning cans.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 12, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8625978

non-toxic, non-hazardous, biodegradable cleaning agent. a little rinsing and they are good to go
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8625988

Way to go!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 12, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8626234

another Missouri Moon

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8626432

I have had a few lillies bloom. they are magnificant, especially the unique ones that have been shared with me. Thankyou all my green thumb sisters & brothers. ^_^
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

June 12, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8626520

I think of most soft yellow flowers as being an anemic yellow. Those are pretty though. I would go so far as to call the first one elegant looking. .
Welcome back, Vickie. Hope you had a fun birthday. Healthwise, MK has started using a walker sometimes. Her arthritis has flared. She has started taking the same herbs she gives to old Tater-dog for hip dysplasia and seems a little better. She has been eating lots of beets too. She thinks the flare up might be caused by a med she had to take for her skin. It was mildly toxic. Beets are said to detoxify. I’m popping lots of allergy meds, but that is normal for me this time of year. I’m literally a dizzy blond. Allergies cause me problems with my ears which affects my balance. Papa Jim is complaining about his diet and exercise regime, but he is doing it. We are all limping along. How are you doing?
I’ll take you on a tour of Amargia today, Planti. Amargia is nestled into the folds of the coastal sandhills where Alabama, Georgia and Florida meet. We are on the western slope of one of those sandhills amidst a maze of small creeks with the Choctawahatchee River in walking distance to our north. We are a short distance off a county road on a dirt and gravel road. Luckily, we have a neighbor with graders and other heavy equipment to keep the road fairly smooth so it wasn’t too bumpy for you getting here.
I’ll start your tour in my corner of the property just because I am the center of my universe. So, from the SE corner spiraling around the outer border of the property: The SE corner is just called my corner or The Bee Corner. It is mostly wildflowers and bee forage. There are some perennial veggies like asparagus and sunchokes (Jerusalem artichokes) there too.) My Bee Corner also includes the Storm Room, a large partially underground room I am building into the slope. There is a sunken garden that MK hopes to turn into an accessible exercise pool eventually, as well. (I have to tell you what these are since all you see right now is big holes in the ground with reinforced sides. Well, there are plants draping over the edge in the case of the Sunken Garden. There are peach trees dividing the bee corner from the Baby Barn and its small yard. We are slowly setting up the Baby Barn like a micro house for more people space. We don’t keep any animals except for the pets and my bees. On the west side of the barn is a spur off the circular drive that leads to a parking and turn-around area at the edge of the Haunted Grove. (No spooks have been spotted there, but it looks like a good place for them. The Spanish moss hanging on the trees, I guess.) The Grove isn’t officially ours, but we tend it as much as time allows and hope to add it officially to Amargia one day. The Shady wildflower slope makes up our SW corner on paper, but we have overflowed into the Grove that is the southern boundary with the permission of its owner. The center portion of the front boundary, alongside the gravel road, is a Gourd Garden for now. That is where we are battling the seacane (Arundo donax). We really can’t do a lot with it until we eliminate the seacane. Next comes what we call the Snakes and Snails Garden (children’s garden geared to little boys) I hope to extend this more when we get the wild cane under control. Across the entrance drive from the S&S Garden is the other S&S Garden. Sugar & Spice geared more toward little girl taste. The Sugar & Spice area is officially our NW corner, but White Spirit Creek runs along our N. boundary and we have reached down to it in places. The garden rooms along the N. boundary are the Sugar & Spice Garden, Wheelchair Garden, The Standing Garden, The Taku Garden and the Old Soldiers Garden. The w/c and Standing gardens are mostly annual vegetables, but there is a foundation planting of grapes, blueberries, apple trees, pomegranate bushes and a large ‘Brown Turkey’ fig tree here.) My Taku Garden is next along the N. boundary where I grow things for my Japanese and Asian cooking. This is also where most of the timber bamboo is. Papa Jim’s Old Soldiers Garden makes up the NE corner and much of the E. boundary. That brings us back to my Bee Corner.
Inside this outer ring, adjacent to the workhouse which is roughly in the center of the property is Kay’s Kitchen Garden and the Brambleberry Garden (Blackberries, dewberries and raspberries) They are on the east side (back) of the workhouse. MK’s Fragrance Garden is a half circle around the front deck (west side) of the workhouse, but fragrant plants have a way of mysteriously migrating to all the other gardens and all the in-between spaces. The CanDo Container Garden is on the N. end of the workhouse. It has evolved into an herb garden and the place where PJ’s beloved pink flowers live. :-) . Water from the large Jacuzzi tub flows into a crude graywater system. The water from the indoor tub is piped into an irrigation trench. The trench divides the Fragrance Garden from the CanDo Garden. There is a little concrete bridge near the NE corner of the workhouse connecting the Fragrance and CanDo Gardens. If you turn sharply left (west) after you cross the bridge coming out of the Fragrance Garden, you enter an arched tunnel of climbing plants, passiflora this year, but it changes.)) The tunnel takes you between the Fragrance and CanDo Garden to PJ’s little foliage garden. You are now facing the entrance from the inside. A good place to end this tour, I suppose. Come back and see us again sometime. lol.

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 13, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8627586

Snake in the Grass Boo. I like it!

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 13, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8627648

That IS beautiful. The name makes more sense now that I've seen the stamen rearing up from the bright green eye.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 13, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8628377

Getting these next week:

Sunset Bay
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=27199&n=SUNSET-BAY---DF---L6I---Salter-1998---DAYLILY
http://shawssunshinegardens.com/gallery/s.htm
http://3amigrows.com/Daylilies_for_Sale.html

Wait Until Dark
http://shawssunshinegardens.com/gallery/t-z.htm
http://www.amadorflowerfarm.com/shop/products/WAIT_UNTIL_DARK-1395-0.html
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=184549&n=WAIT-UNTIL-DARK---DF---B8B---Carr-2000---DAYLILY

Should have a crew of four or five coming a week from Saturday to make a start on digging out the new front bed and/or clearing the side yard. (jump up and down, clapping, yippee, yea!!)

Quote the Raven
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8165105
http://www.mydaylilies.com/daylily-gallery/daylily-images-a-z/q/quote-the-raven-ted-petit-1995-8465
http://www.tigerlily.ca/cca/th_quotetheraven_lg.htm

Dracula
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8165095
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=188789&n=DRACULA---DF---L1B---Carter-M-1995---DAYLILY
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=2188496

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

June 13, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8628824

Whoa! 'Dracula' does look like it belongs in a vampire's garden. ,It's a pity daylilies don't bloom at Halloween. There is something appealing about the contrast of 'Quote the Raven', but then I like dramatic contrast. ~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8629550

Hi everybody!! Composing like mad... trying to get the house fixed up. In trouble for not writing more articles.

That was a useful as well as enjoyable tour of Armagia, Nadine, thank you. I am saving it.

We--esp. my DH--love daylilies, but they are ALL NOID. We have the edge of our property that borders the street lined with them. Most of them have been there 5-10 years now, and really need to be divided, but that's DH's job, not mine. So they look a little punky. I'll give three new fans with labels to him to plant, and he doesn't remember that he was supposed to keep track of which one is where, and I don't care enough to care. Too many Stella D'Oros. though!

Glad Vickie and Debra found each other -- that was our first official Round-Up, folks! Did you take pictures?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2011
8:10 AM

Post #8629563

Plus I like Debra's blue plastic -- when I was a single Mom in the olden days when we had an ordinary washer, I used to buy huge (3 gal) tubs of cheap detergent that were blue and then used them for other things but they were square and less beautiful.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2011
10:20 AM

Post #8629868

Welcome back, Carrie. How was your b'day vacation?
Predictably, Debra, I like 'Sunset Bay'. I still have a thing for autumn colors even if I'm primarily appreciating them through mental visualization, not physical vision. I think I will always be a visual person no matter the state of my eyesight. I still need to "see" a place in my mind to navigate it. (People who lost vision earlier in life or were congenitally blind have a more intuitive way of moving about.) The containers you made certainly sound prettier, but, in a pinch, commercial landscapers are usually happy to get rid of used nursery pots. I like to sow the trees and shrubs I grow from seed in large pots. The nearby nursery will sell me the 3 and 5 gal. size for a token payment of a few cents a pot.
Planti, are you in an area where you could use the Ruth Stout gardening system without having to battle a local home owners association or city ordinances?
Ruth Stout Gardening Method
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2004-02-01/Ruth-Stouts-System.aspx
I think her books are out of print, but you can still find them in libriries. She gardened well into her 90’s!
It has taken some court cases, like the lady who fought city hall to keep her wildflower meadow front yard, but people are beginning to wise up and appreciate the deeper beauty of a healthy, naturally sustainable landscape. K*

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 14, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8630456

I’ve just read that every daylily aficionado is expected to have a Stella D’Oro daylily tucked away somewhere in their garden. (They aren’t supposed to mention it or, if they do, they are supposed to be mildly apologetic about having it since it is “common”. However, a true “daylily person” MUST have it or have had it at one time. lol.)
Debra has turned both Nadine and I into lurkers on the daylily forum. I’ve also noticed more and more daylily related websites turning up in Bookmarks. It is probably time I plant some Stella and openly admit my growing daylily addiction and start actually buying them myself. The stage I’m at is like that stage you go through when you stop smoking. If you’ve ever been a smoker you know it. The stage where you imply you’re not a smoker by saying how long it has been since you bought a pack of cigarettes. You say nothing about how many cigarettes you’ve gotten off your friends. :-) You tell yourself that doesn’t really count. I think it is time I buy a Stella and admit the truth of my condition. I’ll have to work on the mildly apologetic thing since I like Stella. Or, maybe, I should be brazenly defiant of current garden fashion and go so far as to admit we nurture “ditch lilies” here. The orange ones Kay insist on calling “tawny lilies” to separate them from other species daylilies that are called “ditch lilies.” There! I’ve admitted it. If you change your mind and decide you don’t want your artistically named and well-bred daylilies hanging out here, I’ll understand, Debra. I think it is only fair you should know. I like Stella and there are some ruffian daylilies living here. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 14, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8630629

Jim, all the Daylilies invited to share my yard are sublimely unconcerned about, or more, even unaware of class and status. [grin] Stella first introduced me to the glory of massed Daylilies in the afternoon sun. She is always welcome in my garden. :-) Especially as I have one of her children, Black-Eyed Stella. And I like ditch lilies, no matter which ones they are. Know exactly what you mean about quitting cigarettes. Took me a full year to stop "borrowing" from other people and stop finding excuses to go out because "I only smoke now when I drink."

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 14, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8630637

Jim, go look at the name of the first bloom on this thread. :-D
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1189696
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8631466

I have a Stella D-ora but i don't know which one it is.I now have 2 yellow ones blooming and a red one and a wine purple one.My fairy flowers are blooming their heads off.Cone flowers are blooming.Zinnas and petunias too.Hydrangias,cukes and tomatoes.I need to start liquid fertilizing everything again.
I have the plain orange daylillys too, both single and double.I would'nt dream of telling them they were common.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 15, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8631715

Labeled as James Clark. A lot more differentiation in the color than shown on web photos, but enough comparable structure that I think it may be a natural variation. Maybe because it's in a container? I like it, anyway.

Vickie, what color is the peony you gave me?

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

June 15, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8632090

I like the color of ‘Barefoot Jim’. He must have been walking on red clay so it couldn’t be our Jim. Our Jim won’t even go barefoot in the house. :-)
Thanks for the inspiration, Debra. I was at a loss as to wehre I could find a container that would work in the Children's Garden. There is a laundry detergent that comes in a florescent green container. I’ve cut the top off it to use in the Snakes and Snails Children’s garden. The color theme there is intense tropical colors so it fits right in. Planted it with noID dahlias. I don’t know if the Homestead Purple’ verbena I moved there is going to survive. I’ll start looking for an intense colored, xera replacement. Rain continues to be a scarce commodity. MK has been predicting a more Mediterranean climate here. I can see it this year.
Daylilies and wildflowers are all that is in bloom. Well, also some lilies in the more carefully tended areas near the house. Bless PJ’s interest in unique foliage plants.
A storm shattered the huge, Spanish moss draped oak in the woods. I’d better go learn how to nurture Spanish moss, if I want to keep the ambience. We have some high pedestal planters. I think I’ll put it in those. MK said there was an old DG article about growing Spanish moss. Off to hunt it down. ~Nadine~
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 15, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8633311

Wish I could claim 'Barefoot Jim', but it is true. I am a tenderfoot.
Nadine forgot about the sunflowers. We have lots and lots of sunflowers. The dry, heat doesn't seem to bother them much. I let the GS's plant some old bird seed. Didn't think so many of the seeds would come up. They planted them everywhere!
I'm trying to talk Nadi out of re-establishing the moss. Whether it is true or not, most southerners have a phobia about Spanish moss and chiggers. We can get the same sort of southern gothic feel by planting a weeping willow. People are much more comfortable about willows. There is ground water and it isn't near any water lines so it is a perfect place for willows. Nadine can experiment with growing a little of the moss in the Fragrance Garden. I never even knew that stuff flowered, nonetheless that the flowers were fragrant.
'James Clark' is one that just makes you smile. No wonder you manage to stay so optimistic, Debra, with daylilies like that around. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 16, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8634053

Yep, and if the second fan blooms true in ITS pot, it's on the Amargia September list. Looks like it will open early next week.

Here is the gussied up Awesome Bob Father's Day present. Each different photo had a descriptive word that tied in with the version of the flower. Daddy, Rainy, Happy, Blue, Grandpa, and Grumpy (which was supposed to be Uncaffeinated, but my helper couldn't fit all the lettering). He liked it. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8634291

Oh, Debra, that one is expensive. Maybe he will give you a raise. :-)
I don't think we could get rid of the Spanish moss if we wanted to. It will start regrowing on other shrubs and trees when humid conditions return. That stand of it always goes dormant in high summer. High summer has just arrived a little early this year. I like the idea of planting a weeping willow, however. If we had a willow I wouldn't need to buy so much rooting hormone. Willow tea will do the same job just as well.
What I haven't figured out yet is what to do about the old oak's upright remains. There is a limbless 20 feet or so still standing. I think there is a wild beehive inside it. I felt a sort of vibration when I laid my hand on it. Since it is in the woods, I vote for leaving it alone until it crumbles. It will add to the spooky ambience. I know the idea of trying to take it down is certainly spooky to me. lol.
Someday, I will try to breed a delicate, soft, pale pink daylily cultivar from Hemerocallis fulva var. rosea. I'll name it 'Tenderfoot Jim' as a token of my affection. lol. k*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 16, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8634326

Kay, he already pays me an almost indecent wage for what I do. Most of it is for being his first vent source when he's mad...and he's mad about SOMETHING most of the time. He yells and screams at me about it, calms down a little, THEN goes to the person he got mad at. That, and I am on call virtually every day, all day. Which is where the justification for most of my pay is and why I have a company car and an iPhone. Given my age, my medical conditions, and the job market the way it is, I can tolerate this boss' bad temper with a good deal of equanimity. And still be sincere in showing appreciation to that boss for what I receive in return. :-)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 16, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8634914

Outline of new bed we are planning to dig out and edge with bricks and pavers next Saturday. Fingers crossed the weather guys are right and it will be cooling down to the low 90s by then.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2011
1:39 AM

Post #8635575

I love your house. Fingers crossed here too. We missed out yesterday. Our Walmarts has their plants on sale this week.Am considering going back and buying a couple of Blue Spruce trees. Someone in Ozone has a big one.
I'm getting a dog from down Georgia way. A stray, a DG member picked up. He looks somewhat like my Dillen. My heart went out to him.What can i say! They'll drop him by around the 3rd of July.
Be careful of the heat Debra. I can see you sitting back and giving your boss a cheerful smile when he's finished with his tirade.
I did a little with my plants yesterday about 5:30 AM. Was nice and cool but that did'nt last long. I have a red Daylilly blooming now.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 17, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8636286

One of the Daylilies Vickie brought down.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 17, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8637615

Almost have the new bed plotted out. Going to be ordering these as complements to the others, when I can afford them and/or they get deeper sale prices. :-)
============================================
These three first:

Gray Witch
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/116508/

Look See
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=55430&n=LOOK-SEE---DF---L7I---Santa-Lucia-2004---DAYLILY--

Lily Munster (With this name? I HAVE to have it!)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/276754/

========================================================
These are more expensive and will be stretched out:

Chili Spice
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/157650/

Miss Piggy's Hot Pink (yes, Jim, its pink. But Miss Piggy is one of my idols. She is superb aat channeling Mae West, my first idol. How can i pass her by?)
http://sterrettgardens.com/galleries/daylilies/mo.htm
=============================================
Gorgeous, if REALLY expensive.

When Pigs Fly
http://www.blueridgedaylilies.com/website/2009/whenpigsfly.html

Second Fiddle
http://thebloomingauction.com/detail.asp?id=186252&n=SECOND-FIDDLE---SF---B5C---Hensley-D-2010---DAYLILY
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 18, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8638100

Another of Vickie's daylily gifts. Think I will put this one on west side of house with the soft yellow Iris and Lilies.

Member of a different forum is getting me wholesale soil, so those 20+ bags of dirt to fill the new bed won't cost NEAR as much as I was thinking. Yea!

Have a dozen plants to go in, but heat advisory today with actual temperature supposed to be 102-104, might try the early morning Sunday again. :/

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 18, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8638391

Some sanity returned home to roost this morning. Soooooo, will get Miss Piggy next week. Will keep When Pigs Fly, Second Fiddle, and Thin Man on watch list.
http://www.edaylilies.com/ThinMan.jpg

Will NOT get any of the others on the last post...[heavy-panting-as-if-been-running-a-six-minute-mile breathing]...not, at least, until the sale price drops to 60% or more off...then I will...NO, NO, I mustn't!!...must...stay...away... ROFL

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8638795

I have a Lily that peach color with ruffled edges...love it! The yellow center on yours is beautiful.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 18, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8638840

thank you sheri. vickie was generous with her floral gifts.:-)

hey, vickie, do you have a name for this one?
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2011
11:24 PM

Post #8639517

Debra, I remember the name of the white one.Dads Best White.It's the only white one i have. You know you won't be able to resist when they go on sale.Why fight it? LOL I'm just curious to know if you'll buy land next door when you run out of room at your house.Shall we make penny bets on when Debra will run out of room?LOL
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 19, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8640076

Vickie, you may be right. But the impulse to buybuybuy feels more like ashes to be blown away on the wind this morning. More sanity. My habit is to go over and over the ones on the watch list and check other resources and compare and stew. The ones that still jump up and say "Here I am!" are the ones I get. Doing that again today, most of the immediately affordable ones have lost immediate appeal. Thankfully! Because Russell has to have the growth taken off his eye Wednesday and Zuzu has to be spayed the week after. This time, she is having abdominal pain with estrus and I have to get it taken care of soon. Plus new prescriptions--expensive ones--and Daylily money is far down the calendar. :-) Maybe I will get lucky and the seller will accidentally put in one or two of the lesser ones from my watch list in this last shipment as the gift/bonuses (Brown Witch).

And as I was typing that last sentence, brilliant idea lit up the air over my head. I stopped writing here and wrote the seller. If he chooses to send any bonuses with this lot, asked him for a specific one that I am still liking a lot. Worst that can happen is he will say no, right? :-)

Going to try motivating myself to get out for a little while mid afternoon. New perennials came from the Santa Rosa sale and need either pots or to go in ground. And Sunday is a permissible water day, so should get that going, too, when the areas are shaded.

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

June 19, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8640298

When all these beauties mature, Debra, your house is going to be absolutely incredible!
Happy Father's Day, Papa Jim!

Thumbnail by Sansai87

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 19, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8641120

The odds aren't good on that bet, Vickie. As I recall, Debra's excess flowers are already showing up in the landscape of her workplace. That's a sure sign. It doesn't even seem to matter how much land the afflicted person has. You would think 2+ acres would be more than enough for a physically challenged gardener, but Kay has us overflowing both the north and south boundaries. I'm telling you, there needs to be a diagnostic code for this condition. lol. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 19, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8641292

Nadine, love that flower!

Jim, indeed, there does. LOL

Watered a little today. Have a 30% chance of rain Tuesday. Calling on the spirits of my Blackfeet Lakota ancestors for help in making that happen. Planted an Agastache Purple Haze; Echinacea Harvest Moon, Raspberry Truffle, and PowWow White; a Coreopsis Redshift; a Lavender Otto Quast; a Salvia Caradonna, and two Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy. Realized missing a Coreopsis Pinwheel from the shipment, will see what they do. Two Conca d'or Lilies opened today. Casa Blancas are right behind. Edged the front bed with plastic fake-stone borders leftover from the bed at the office. Don't care for using plastic, but the other side of the yard has some similar edging that was left here by previous owners. They're okay to neaten up the look of the yard for now.

This message was edited Jun 22, 2011 2:42 PM

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8642609

I think the flower Nadi gave Jim is a Cosmos bipinnatus 'Versailles Tetra-red'.. It is probably darker than you are accustomed to seeing because it is in partial shade. They fade to a pink quickly in full sun. :-) We keep one in the shade just for him. Jim submitted a pic to PF in his continueing battle against pink.
The blue flax is blooming so that should make him happy. lol. k*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 21, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8645496

Darker Shade from this morning.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 21, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8645498

Darker Shade from late afternoon.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 21, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8645886

Jim, the second fan of the daylily labeled James Clark bloomed the same as the original. I really like it, but it doesn't look like the pictures. :-) What do you think of it?

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 22, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8646694

I LIKE it, Debra. Looking at 'Darker Shade', Nadine said she imagined some hippie flower fairies who were into tie dye creating it. :-) Strange kid.
I can't rightfully call her a kid anymore. For children who stay in school, 24 is official adulthood. I will continue to call her a kid anyway, but Happy 24th, Nadine.

Nadine is a good egg. The below is a Wonder Egg plant. (Jim)

Thumbnail by seacanepain

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8647043

Hello, I am still alive, just on one of my composing jags. This stuff is modern music nobody but me will like, too. Jim, I have tons of yellow Stellas! Want some??? And Firefly is blooming ... do you still want that? I may disappear again as I need to write an article about buying flowers from eBay. Interested to hear your experiences to include (anonymously).
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 22, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8647253

My ancestor spirits might have taken pity on my poor plants. After nearly a month with nothing, we had heavy rains last two nights in a row, and the storms' winds and hail did NOT savage my house, car, yard and trees like in other areas around me. I will be offering up thanks for some time. Supposed to have five people here from 12:00-3:00 Saturday afternoon digging up the new flower bed. Digging out clay will be easier with still damp ground. New forecast is for 100 degrees again. Wish I could talk them all into 6:00am-9:00am when it will be cooler, but that is a forlorn hope. LOL If even three show up, they should be able to get the grass dug up, the new soil spread, and the paver/brick border in place in those three hours. Spent $300 at vet's today for dog surgery, so it will be piece meal paving. Think I have enough various bricks, pavers, and stepping stone stuff to make most, if not the full circuit. Then, I can plant and mulch over the rest of the weekend. At least three of the daylily containers do not have drainage holes (because they are actually trash cans and a storage bin). Those 'uns HAVE to be planted pretty soon no matter what. I am excited!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8647939

Debra, did you buy anything from frisbeefarms? What a jerk! I have never left so much seriously bad feedback. On the other hand Mitch is a Mensch! I am going to write an article on buying plants on eBay. Any tips?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 22, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8648080

yes. my boss has been selling on ebay for 12 years and has more than 130,000 overall feedbacks. at one time, we were in the top 500 ebay sellers in the world by auction volume. think the principles would be the same for used electronics as for plants.

always check the seller feedback. if seller has low feedback counts--I'd say less than 50--it should merit a very thorough evaluation of the seller. are the feedbacks accrued over a period of time, or is this a new seller who may be trying to rack up a lot of positives in a hurry. can sometimes be a warning flag. the top seller designations are good, but don't bypass a seller just because they haven't yet earned it. ebay rules are increasingly strict for sellers and a lot of good sellers may not have perfect scores, but are still trustworthy. smaller sellers who have a relatively narrow product line are more likely to have higher quality than one who tries to cover EVERY perennial or all types of bulbs, for example, and can't maintain consistency.

is the seller a business or someone selling plants out of their yard? both have good points, but they will usually be different in approach to their buyers. if there are negatives, read what they are in relation to and look for patterns. do they consistently have problems with shipping? with sending correct product? with communication? with customer service for any problems after delivery? do they reply to the negs and seem to be making excuses or always blaming the buyer? if only a few here and there across a spectrum of problem types, could just be temporary issues at their location like changing order systems or personnel, could be any number of issues. also, if the seller has one or more negatives, check all the feedback of the BUYERS leaving the negatives. some buyers have a habit of leaving negs regardless of merit. too many and ebay boots them, but by that time the damage is done.

then the biggest thing is to make sure to read ALL of the auction description, including return policy, shipping, and payments. lots of people just glance at the title and photo, don't read it, and are then surprised by what they get. if you have questions, ask them BEFORE bidding!!!!! don't wait until you've won or did a buy it now, then find out it isn't what you thought or wanted. last, if you have a problem, communicate communicate communicate with the seller BEFORE taking any other action. give them a fair shot at resolving the problem before filing a case with eBay or leaving bad DSRs or bad feedback.

that's my perspective after eight years of being on the seller's customer service end, and about four years as a buyer. let me know if you want any other information. :-)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 23, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8648753

Bela Lugosi, first blooms early this morning.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 23, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8648757

Will take another photo this afternoon. They always look different. Part of why I like them, I guess. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 23, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8649861

5:30 pm

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

June 23, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8649947

'Bela Lugosi' is the PERFECT name for that DL! Beautiful!
It is quiet here. It has rained off and on all day and MK is recovering from a wasp sting. The wasp built a nest alongside a seldom-used outdoor electrical outlet and she went to plug in an extension cord to recharge the battery of the lawn tractor. They stung her on the wrist. The reaction isn't too bad. She is taking allergy meds and as much echinacea as she dares. The allergy meds just make her drowsy so she is sleeping a lot.
I set two post in concrete at the top of the entrance ramp into the Soldier's Garden and gave the kitchen a much needed deep cleaning. I noticed some Sugar Baby watermelons coming up. They were planted late. I wasn't sure they would sprout. Love those little guys. I can hardly believe the yellow snapdragons with theslight lemon scent are STILL blooming. They are like bright yellow versions of the Energizer bunny. They keep going, and going, and going... I planted them in fall. I thought snapdragons were annuals. ~N~
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

June 23, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8649958

Snaps are a tender perennial. The live for years in the San Francisco Bay area. Nice that they are scented.

kb
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 23, 2011
7:00 PM

Post #8650189

It is. Received the Dracula, Wait Until Dark, and Quote the Raven today. They are all going close to ol' Bela this weekend. The seller put a Fox Ears in. That one should be fun to watch.

Fox Ears
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/252986/

He also put in the Brown Witch I asked for. Should look really good with Teenie Girl and Third Witch.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/60090/

Also gifted:

Cranberry Winter
http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a34/AlabamaGardenGal/2007%20daylily%20photos/?action=view¤t=CranberryWinter1.jpg&

Clockwork
http://cgi.ebay.com/CLOCKWORK-DF-L1F-Kaskel-1999-DAYLILY-/290570569156#vi-desc

Passion District
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/221268/

The goal with all the purple/yellows and red/yellows is to let them all bloom for a year and winnow out the ones I like best. Then rehome the ones similar, but maybe not quite what I was looking for or that bloom at the same time as a very similar one does. That kind of thing. Have moved on to spider and unusual forms, too. My grandniece is named Savannah. We call her Savannah Banana. Guess what daylily I found--and bought? Savannah Banana Split. :-D

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 24, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8651331

Okay, this is unexpected. Same exact plant as the James Clark above. Look at the color difference.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8652582

Debra, that's what I would have told someone years ago but now the feedback is all rolled into one score; you can't pick out which is for slow shipping and which is for bad product. (Can you?)

BTW my Mitch flats arrived. 3/4 were gorgeous, the 4th the tiny babies had all fallen out of their holes. I emailed him and he sent me another one with older plants = bigger root systems.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8652627

Debra, it sounded like you may have had a hard time getting a drainage hole in your homemade container so I thought I would share what I’ve learned turning just about anything into plant containers over the years.
classic drill bit isn’t usually the best tool for the job. Below is a picture of some different drill bits that you can ask for at HD or Lowe’s. The step-up bit is my personal favorite. (The one that looks sort of like a cone.) You can get different size holes without having to change the bit and you can even use it on Plexiglas without breakage. The one that looks like Poseidon’s trident is called a spade bit. It is usually used for cutting larger holes in wood, but can be use for softer plastic that aren’t prone to shatter. The one that looks like a standard drill bit with a circular saw around it is called a hole saw and will work for metal and most plastics.
Those friendly looking, cordless drill drivers are convenient, multi-purpose tools I think any homeowner should have. The more intimidating looking corded drill is better for this particular job though if you think you might be doing it more than once. On many models the bit is still changed out using a chuck key, but that isn’t complicated. A corded drill has more power and the cordless numbers always run out of juice at the most inconvenient time. I think the extra power of a corded drill is better. (They are usually a lot cheaper than a cordless drill set too.) Making your own containers gets to be fun after you get the hang of it. You will start experiencing the side effect of seeing just about anything as a potential plant container so be warned. :-) Even if you aren’t interested in creating your own containers again, this is good to know. Sometimes, an expensive container will not come with the drainage hole already done, in case it is wanted for a bog/water plant or some other purpose all together. Using the wrong drill bit for the job can be a costly mistake. I know this from experience. :-( Anyway, it is good information to have filed away in your head and you can impress the heck out of the clerk at the hardware store by knowing what to ask for.
My arm isn’t swollen or hot anymore from the sting. Jim has gone out for his sunset wasp hunt. lol. My money is on the wasp. They can get very creative about places to build nest.
I'm going to go snag Nadi or Jim to tell me about the new DLs. :-) k*

Thumbnail by Amargia

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 25, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8653598

Thank you, Kay. About tools I know zip-it-ee-do-dah. Do want to have more constructions/destruction projects, so the information will be helpful.

Carrie, if you check the feedback comments, good and bad, many times there will be references to what was most appealing to that buyer. Fast shipping, as described, and what-not. In our case, probably 75% of our positives mention the speed of our shipping. (We ship by next business day after payment receipt.) So that's a strong selling point for us.

If the buyer leaves a negative, sometimes they will be specific and sometimes just say, basically, don't buy here. If the seller gets several negs with the same theme, especially if they start popping up all at once, red flag warning is in effect. Wayside Gardens is a good example. I bought literally hundreds of plants from them when they were selling under Perfect Plant. Most were very good and they immediately fixed any problems I had. Then their financial issues and bankruptcy started, customer service went down the tubes, and the negs started piling up in a hurry. They don't sell on eBay now.

Sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore as a seller. But the seller can choose to reply to the negs. Most don't, however, if they do, you can see if they are defensive or pragmatic or make excuses.

Clicking on the seller feedback score takes you to the seller feedback profile. To the right is the Detail Seller Ratings chart (DSRs). One star is lowest and five is highest. The stars will show ratings differentials. If there are consistently lower ratings for shipping time or communication, that is a good indicator of less attention to that area. Not necessarily a horrible problem, because eBay now has strict rules for the number of 1 and 2 DSRs sellers can get before being sanctioned. But, for example, if fast shipping is primary to you and the seller has lower DSRs for shipping time than anything else, maybe you want to think twice.

As for the buyer, if you see a negative from him or her, click on THEIR feedback number. Then select the Feedback Left For Others tab. If that buyer leaves a high number of negs, I'd tend to ignore whatever he or she said. And I know I am going to catch flack for this one from somebody. Gonna say it anyway. Particularly ignore the feedback if the buyer has a definitive religious reference in their buyer ID. Chances are really high that person will cause you trouble on general principle. It is an unfortunate observation (based on 12 years experience and nearly 150,000 overall transactions) that persons who feel the need to strongly profess their religiousness through the user IDs are the most volatile, unreasonable, and demanding users on eBay--selling or buying. That is different from those who have honestly held strong beliefs. These are more the people who expect sellers to understand that rules and policies do not apply to them because they are so publicly self-righteous. I'd say do not pay attention to their comments and do not buy from them. :/

ANY questions at all before buying, contact the seller. Try to ask questions that require more than a Yes/No answer. While it is against eBay policy to use their messaging system to write other buyers trashing a particular seller or member, it is perfectly acceptable to write others and ask about their seller experiences.

Distilled point, I guess, is eBay is a fine place to buy as long as you take some preliminary precautions, make the effort to speak up if you need information, and understand that a bid means you have agreed to the stated item description and all the seller's policies.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 25, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8654089

My large collection of tools is my one collection of things Kay never complains about. She is almost as bad as I am where tools are concerned. I still have to listen to grumbles about “packrat tendencies” in regards to my old comic books and 70’s albums.
Yes, Carrie, I would like having a start of Stella D’oro. BTW, did the cannas arrive okay or was the timing bad. Did they get there while you were on vacation? Kay laughed at the way I packaged them. She said it looked like I was mailing out pipe bombs.
I like the recent DG articles on where to buy plants. Kay chewed me out once for buying plants through Publishers Clearing House. (Books and magazines, yes. Plants, NO!) Her philosophy is if they don’t have a specific passion for plants, don’t buy from them. The more passionate a nursery is about plants, the more likely she is to buy from them. Cistus Nursery is her current favorite. There is definitely no shortage of plant passion there and she has this idea that if you can’t get it in a local nursery, at least look for a nursery with a similar climate. Although Cistus is in the NW part of the country, their climate isn’t that different from ours. They have a good selection of Mediterranean plants and tough tropicals that work well here. The question she put forward, when I mentioned buying plants from eBay was, “Do you know the physical location the plants are coming from?”
Would you like an established plant of the burgundy lily in fall, Debra? I’m not sure whether it is ‘Sungod’ or ‘Landini’. I originally received it as part of a “black and white” lily package deal. I think the color would work well with some of your daylilies, but give the added interest of some change in foliage and plant form. Brown Witch’ is striking. I like the darker green throat of the newest bloom on ‘James Clark’, but think both versions look great. Did you change the location of the container?
I’m trying to convince the ladies they should take Saturday’s off with limited success. They did move a few loads of dirt for the ramp. Still only about half finished, but the job expanded as they went to include leveling out the entire Fragrance Garden. That tends to be the way things go around here. Kay worked yesterday on the retaining wall for the Soldier’s Garden. We are doing it from recycled material, as usual. She still has a lot of work to do on both retaining walls to “pretty things up”, but I think it will be fine when she is finished.
Vickie sent some Black-eyed Susan seeds. Those are stealing the show in the garden at the moment. (Jim)

Thumbnail by seacanepain

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8654127

Thanks, Debra, I didn't know about the new DSR is that what it's called). Jim I think yes, they did arrive while we were off somewhere but now they are growing happily in old 7-up 2liter bottles. They'll need to be transplanted soon but first I need to dispose (wrong word) dispense dis-something of or with, TEND TO my 576 plugs!!!

So very neat, how a seed from AR flowers in AL! Once you plant black eyed susans, you may have them forever, though.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 25, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8654421

Yes, I would like a burgundy lily. Thank you. :-) The James Clark was not moved. I've read that sometimes first blooms from daylilies will be lighter or different from photos of established plants. Could be what happened here. Fun, anyway.

Three of the people who put in the new bed. Was a teeny bit warm today. LOL Put bottles of Gatorade in the freezer until slushy. Good stuff. If I get out tomorrow, will put some of the short potted plants in this bed to fill it out. Really looking forward to watching it develop. Thought the soil here would be clay like the rest of the yard, but it was good friable dirt. Maybe from all the leaf debris over the years? But, they didn't have to skim any off or mix any of the 20 bags of potting soil I now have sitting under the carport. AND, had exactly enough mulch to cover. Yea me!

Boss let me close the retail store on Saturdays until August 2, and is changing the collection event procedures. So I should only have to work a maximum of one Saturday a month for awhile. Weird feeling not having to get up early tomorrow EITHER. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 25, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8654425

Full on. Going to put a smaller teardrop-shaped up by the house between the new bed and the fence. Right in that bright patch of sunshine.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 26, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8655551

Safe Island from today. Still a pastel bloom, but it does seem to be darker than the first one coming off the plant. Hopefully, it will be the same as the James Clark. As they were planting for me yesterday, I started setting aside the Amargia September-shipping potted Daylily collection. Will list it out as it gets closer, and you three can tell me which ones you want. Want to wait until all have been received and I know what extras I will have first. Sending a James Clark for sure, though. :-)

Sun should be over the gardening "yard arm" in a bit. Not too bad today in full shade, so going out then to put some Mexican Heathers, Marigolds, Early Sunrise Coreopsis, and Vanilla Gazanias between the new Dayilies. Have other stuff I can't remember now, but might sling those out, too.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 26, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8656156

Have a Frans Hals and When I Dream set aside for sure, too.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 26, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8656421

Jim and Kay, do you want a Chinese Chariot?
Will be posting photos of the others as the bloom.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2011
7:13 AM

Post #8657345

I'm not telling DH you guys are sharing dayliles! Every named daylily we received became a NOID soon after we planted it because he doesn't understand that it loses value if you don't know who it is. For a while we just added $3 dayliles, now they ALL need to be divided and that's a job I can't do myself. We have a wall of DL between us and the street. Very nice in the summer, but I know they would bloom a lot more if they were divided.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 27, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8657485

Darker Shade bloomed again this morning. Had almost a mahogany tint in the sun. I be happy!

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 27, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8657487

Different angle.

Also, Ruby Fantasy was opening this morning, but hadn't quite. Will take photo when get home.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2011 3:45 PM

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8657489

I have potential space for any day lilies that need new homes. would surely pay shipping. I love the way Day Lilies seem to survive reguardless of the weather.

Sheri
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 27, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8657500

Sheri, I am sure there will be extras, and will be happy to let you know. Besides, I still have a few on my order list and this vendor is extraordinarily generous with his included bonuses. :-)

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8657721

Sheri,
Do you need IDs on your DLs? If I can get DH to dig them out, and that's a big big IF, I will send you some.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 27, 2011
1:52 PM

Post #8658039

Jim, Ruby Fantasy is blooming a deep fuschia. Going to wait to see how the blooms come out when it is in the ground rather than a container. I AM going to slide a pink daylily in the shipment, but only if fragrant, and this one isn't. So if it stays pink, you're safe. :-D

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2011
2:14 PM

Post #8658094

“Chinese Chariot” sounds lovely. Both Jim and Nadi like Chinese red. You know our color schemes and themes at Amargia, Debra. Any extra daylilies you have that you think would work here are welcome and appreciated. Funds are going toward hard-scaping and soil improvement this year. The cost of cement is rising. I didn’t expect that. Perhaps, I should take a page from your book and see what I can find in recycled concrete. Yesterday’s weather allowed the three of us to take our Sunday walk-about the property. I think Jim and Nadi are feeling the lack of lots of pretty things to look at. (I come from the delayed gratification generation so I’m not suffering as much. lol.) Creating a successful natural system that is self improving and low maintenance floats my boat. But, that is way too abstract for Jim, Nadi or Tara and not something that is obvious to casual observation. They need to easily see evidence that we are making progress. Daylilies are quite happy with the current conditions without much help. From your experience, are DL’s best purchased in Spring or Autumn? Jim and Nadi have both started doing data entry work so things should start improving financially. There is a need for audio to print data entry too. That is basically what I did as a medical transcriptionist so I will come out of retirement and make a contribution as well.
I remember seeing Rudbeckia hirta growing wild here when I was young. They are a rare sight in the wild now. I have noticed subtle changes in the climate over the last 40 years. I suppose that is why. Vickie’s black-eyed susans are like childhood friends that have been away a long time and have finally come home. They don’t grow here the way they grow in your part of the world, Carrie. I’ve never seen the huge masses of them here the way I saw them in……Ooops, I think I may be suffering some “M” state confusion too. I believe it was Maryland where I saw them in such profusion. Anyway, they don’t seem to have thuggish tendencies in our environment. I suspect they need it to be a little cooler for maxed out growth. Speaking of maxed out, Rudbeckia maxima, an 8’ tall version of black-eyed susans does grow wild in this area, but only in very specific conditions. Light shade and reliable moisture. Also some Rudbeckia lacinata that I assume is native. I know it has long been a food plant for the Creek and other native tribes. (The young leaves and stems were eaten.) Carrie, is there a neighbor or someone you know nearby who likes daylilies? Many of Amargia's plant collections came from exchanging my help digging and gividing for cuttings and divisions. (Usually, of the plant I was digging and dividing.) That is where all my irises came from. There are always hobby gardeners who don't care about the official cultivar name and poor flower fanatics who are willing to search for the ID. New homeowners (especially first-time buyers) tend to be a enthusiastic, but financially strapped lot. The ideal diggers and dividers of plants.
Sheri, is there any particular colors or a theme you are shooting for in your yard? Or, are you going for a cottage'y sort of look.
Planti, is summer at full force there yet?
It was a productive morning. Jim spent it on the riding mower. Nadi worked on the w/c ramp and I weeded. The recent rains have revived everything including the weeds. We think we finally have the internet working right. They tell us as of 7 p.m. tomorrow we will have 10 mbs. It is 1.5 now. Meaning, if anyone streams, everyone else has glitches. That should help restore peace to our little green techno- kingdom. BTW, Debra, we are using the computer you sent for word processing, but haven’t succeeded hooking it into the net. Jim is going to try wiping the harddrive and reload Windows once we are sure the net itself isn’t causing trouble. The other 3 computers in the house have been crashing so we want that worked out first.
It is cool enough to go back outside. Have a great evening all. k*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 27, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8658625

I like the colors of the Chinese Chariot, and I am finding I prefer the forms in which the tips of the petals stay outward rather than curving back underneath. One of the fun aspects of this massive buying spree is seeing the subtle variances in what otherwise appear to be very similar blooms. I like getting them in Spring better since I do get some, if not instant, at least "sooner" gratification in those that bloom same year rather than having to wait for the following year to see. In southern areas, I don't think there is much functional difference in when you plant.

My boss is having a stone retaining wall put across the back of his property this week. I betcha I can persuade him to give me any leftovers. Previous owners had laid a double row of pavers in the back yard as a sort of path. For me, it's just something over which weeds and grass grow. Had the crew dig then all up and bring around to the front. Odd how much larger the back yard looks now. Might use them to build the next bed, might save for laying around the base of the planters we will build in the Fall. Dunno yet. The yard does seem to talk to me with each step I take. No reason to try rushing it along now. :-)

Kay, if the computer is still problematic after the Internet is corrected and the other computers online, I can have my tech manager phone Jim. After all, he IS the guy who put it together and loaded the operating software. He might have left out one little bitty step or something which he won't remember until someone is saying, "But it ISN'T doing that!!" THAT's when he'll say, "Oh, yeah, you have to do THIS, too." LOL

Here, Jim. One from last year that I don't remember...but it is definitely NOT pink!

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 27, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8658719

Thanks, I needed that last one to help me recover from 'Ruby Fantasy. :-)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 27, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8658737

Not to worry, Jim. Ruby won't find her way to Alabama.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

June 27, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8658877

I've tried daylillies here but I think I need to wait until the east side of the arroyo which will be fairly cool and shady is done.

I also like letting the garden tell me what it wants. And I like taking my time putting things together and being able to tweak it.

Tony is taking his father to Santa Rosalia tomorrow for a doctor's appointment. I will still be taking it easy recovering from the virus I picked up in Ca. Besides resting and pushing liquids with extra vitamin C I don't think there's much to do for it. I'm getting better, just not fast enough to suit me.

I have 10-12 small cherimoya trees that I am babying. And lots of little goldenberry plants - I think they are going to be a big sucdess here and I'm very happy about that. We've got lots of dragonfruit plants but no fruit yet. The goldenberries should begin producing this year. I have lots of little plants and soon will be able to give some of them away.

The foot surgery went very well for Tony's son Antonio. He had an extra piece of bone in his foot and it has made it very painful for him. I don't know if they had to wait until he was grown up to operate but it is done now and he's very happy. I'm hoping he will be able to start at the university this fall as he is very smart and has already taken a year off after finishing high school. I've known and loved him since he was four - something I try not to remind him of too often.

The dogs and I are being very lazy in this hot and humid weather. I have some plumarias blooming; also some sunflowers. I may get some ornamental corn.

There are still lots of birds around. I give them a little food and water. They also eat the rice that is left from the dogs' food - often with one of the dogs no more than a foot away.

Scout, the dog who was visiting, now seems to be permanent. We have not heard from Jon, her owner. Her other owner is in a small apartment in Malibu which would not work at all for Scout. She's very sweet but too big to be a lap dog though that doesn't keep her from trying. And she's used to being outside a lot. All five dogs are getting along quite well. I'm not big on training them except to insist that they all get along.

Neighbor's Dana and Tom leave their cat Chocolate here when they go to Washington State for the summer and he ends up living here too. Sharing food with my outdoor cat. Tony is taking care of their plants and we had two Hawiian-type papayas from a tree which I gave them. I have some of the same papayas ripening in my yard. The green papayas sat on the trees all winter; it was too cold for them to ripen. I have a lot of little papaya trees and we will experiment with putting some of them in a few of the hot spots to see if we can get some to ripen in the winter.

katie

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8658895

I enjoy any color. ID is nice but NOID is fine too! I have a natural woodland wildflower front yard. After some winter tree pruning...there are now spots that get a good bit of sun.

Happy dance, Happy Dance! ^_^ front yard is natural woodland wildflower garden & an official wildlife habitat with a big sign on a big old Oak tree. I actually had a flying squirrel momma nesting in a Blue-Bird box. So beautiful!!

I miss communicating with you all, but puter is really messed up and erases about 95% of what I write. Typing a message over & over & over again, only to look up at a blank note is extremely frustrating

Happy dance & hugs,
Sheri
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

June 27, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8658904

Congratulations, Sheri. I'll do a happy dance with a slight limp.
Especially happy about the flying squirrels.

Hope your puter gets better.

katie

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8658926

Hi Katie.

I can not imagine a summer hotter than here, Hopefully you get some nice sea breezes during Siesta time.

Happy days ^_^

Sheri

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 28, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8659692

Look at Bela today. Same plant. Darker purple. Camera is adding some shiny gleam, but it is a matte color, too.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 28, 2011
9:57 AM

Post #8659958

Boy 'Bela' has lots of contrast the whites and the yellows with that almost Night time purple and there's the POOF!
bees are happy a pollen explosion :-) (Jim)

Hay let go of my eggo it is growing fast now.

Thumbnail by seacanepain

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8660954

Ok...What is that 'eggo' plant??

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8661964

Oh Sheri, I missed the note about becoming a national wildlife refuge. It seems to me, that's definitely the way to go.

If I can get my, frantically busy DH to dig any DL fans, I will send them to you. How do you feel about yellow? We have a yellow monster, it was the first (no ID of course,we didn't know about those back then) daylily we bought and is in the best spot with the best drainage and the most sun and everything. It was gigantic after 8 years so I finally persuaded him he HAD to divide it. He felt like he was killing it. That was 3-4 years ago and now they are BOTH as huge as the mother used to be. I think I have thus persuaded him that DLs like to be divided, it's not a debatable issue like, say, abortion or gun-control, it is just plain a Good Thing. (Note: I am NOT bringing up either of those other topics for debate!)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 29, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8662055

Or like Pepsi or Coke. :-D

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2011
11:09 AM

Post #8662191

FRAGRANT FLOWERS according to Marie Ianotti

Daphne (Daphne cneorum)
Flowering Quince (Chaenomeles speciosa)
Freesia spp.
Grape Hyacinth (Muscari armeniacum)
Jonquils (Narcissus jonquilla)
Lilac (Syringa vulgaris)
Magnolia spp.
Mock Orange (Philadelphus spp.)
Sweet Alyssum (Lobularia maritima)
Sweet Pea (Lathyrus spp.)

SUMMER

Angel’s trumpet (Brugmansia spp.)
Gardenia (Gardenia jasminoides)
Heliotrope (Heliotropium arborescens)
Hosta plantaginea (and many of its hybrids like ‘Aphrodite’ and ‘Guacamole’)
Hyssop (Agastache spp.)
Jasmine (Jasminum officinale)
Lavender (Lavendula spp.)
Lilies (Lilium spp.)
Peony (Peonia spp.)
Garden Phlox (Phlox paniculata)
Pinks (Dianthus Caryophyllus)
Rose (old roses, English roses and some hybrids)
Star Jasmine (Jasminum multiflorum)
Summersweet (Clethra spp.)
Tuberose (Polianthes tuberosa)

Late SUMMER / FALL

Butterfly ginger (Hedychium coronarium)
Garden Phlox (Phlox paniculata)
Moonflower (Ipomoea alba)
Naked Lady (Lycoris squamiger)
Night-blooming jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum).
Sweet Autumn Clematis (Clematis dioscoreifolia)

EVENING

Columbine, Fragrant Columbine (Aquilegia fragrans)
Flowering Tobacco (Nicotiana)
Four-o'clocks (Mirabilis jalapa and M. longiflora)
Moonflower (Ipomoea alba)
Night Gladiolus (Gladiolus tristus)
Night-blooming Jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum)
Pinks (Dianthus plumarius)
Stock (Matthiola incana)

GROUND COVERS

Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile)
Corsican mint (Mentha requienii)
Lily of the Valley (Convalaria majalis)
Pennyroyal (Mentha ecumbens)
Sweet Woodruff (Asperula odorata)
Thyme (Thymus serpyllum, T. herbabarona, T. caespititius)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8662200

http://gardening.about.com/od/flowergardening/a/Fragrant-Flowers-And-Plants.htm?nl=1

I should have just done that to begin with!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 29, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8662491

lol. I think we are missing a few of those. Looking into my crystal ball. I see a fragrant plant mail order in the near future. Like, as soon as Kay reads that list. :-) .
Sheri, the "eggo" plant is an ornamental form of eggplant (Solanum ovigerum. A.k.a. Easter Egg Plant, Wonder eggs). This is my first year growing them. They look like a hen’s egg when they are ripe and will turn a warm yellow as they age. It is this season’s just-for-fun plant. With a straight face, Kay tells people how she loathes chickens, but enjoys fresh eggs, so she has decided to grow her eggs. :-)
DG’s PF folks tell me I am mistaken on my ID of the cosmos I posted on Nadine’s birthday. I’ll try to discover what they really are today. I thought it was darker because it grew in partial shade. They fade to a pink in the sun.
How do you go about turning your yard into a certified wildlife habitat, Sheri? Is there a guidebook or something? I think such oases are much needed in suburban areas. Kids need to experience themselves as a part of nature and not always see the wild as disorder to be eliminated. I swear my older GS likes coming here as much to visit with his lizard friends as to see Mimi and Grump-Pa. He’s a lot like his Mimi. It is hard to tell at times when he’s putting you on, but I honestly think he can recognize individual lizards and skinks. He gives them names and gets frustrated with me because I can’t tell Rex from Lightning. lol.
I called my internet provider again. It is still off and on. I checked all the internal lines today and everything looked good. They say their diagnostics show no problem. Something has to be wrong in the house junction box itself. They said they'll check that out tomorrow. Sheri, have you tried composing your post on as a document and then doing a cut and paste here. It will always read as edited and it is an added step, but it saves you the frustration of losing what you’ve written. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 29, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8662841

My 12-year-old grandniece's name is Savannah. We've called here Savannah Banana since she was a baby. Look what I found browsing for something else:

Savannah Banana Split
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/195765/

Seller thought she had it, then, after I paid, discovered they were not shipping quality. I substituted a couple and she sent me the struggling little babies to try growing to toddler stage. If I bees good and attentive, I think I can get four or five viable plants out of what she sent. Very nice of her to have given them to me. :-)

These are the substitutes:

Easy Ned
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/291480/

Quilt Patch
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/234137/

She also had Thin Man priced less than half of the seller where I had it bookmarked. Check it out, Jim and Kay. She sent me two fans...

have had to edit this thing three times because my gibberish came out as gibberish this evening. LOL

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/134530/

This message was edited Jun 29, 2011 9:02 PM

This message was edited Jun 29, 2011 9:53 PM

This message was edited Jun 29, 2011 10:57 PM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8662910

That reminds me of a really funny story! With DD#2 I was in the hospital on bedrest for 6 weeks so I wouldn't have her too soon. There were tons of other high risk pregnancies on the unit, but the one hysterically funny story; a woman was on bed-rest with twins, two girls. She and her husband decided they would each name one. The only problem was that the father picked Savannah and the mother picked Charlotte, both southern cities. At least it wasn't Savannah and Birmingham!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 29, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8663016

Funny story, and lovely names!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

June 29, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8663204

lol. That couple definately needed to move south.
Debra, if that DL doesn’t infect your grand-niece with the garden bug, I don’t know what will. My Da loved the name Savannah and considered giving it to me. People often assume I’m very old because Nadine is such an old-fashioned name, but I’m still glad he didn’t name me Savannah. Can you imagine going through life as Savannah Hanna? ROFL.
I imagined Savannah for my own daughter when I still envisioned myself becoming a parent. (Before I did babysitting and realized what parenthood entailed.)
I suppose I don’t have to worry about it now. I broke up with my boyfriend not too long ago. He assures me I am now doomed to become “one of those crazy, old, cat ladies” without him. Oh well, I’ll name the first female cat in my vast collection Savannah. The first male I acquire, I’ll name for my former BF. That way it won’t bother me a bit when I have to take it to the vet to be neutered. ;-) ~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8664660

Debra, my eBay article is running today. It's not very good. I was rushed into publication by my editor and a lot of the info isn't even correct.

Nadine, I guess yr name is old fashioned but it's coming back. How about Princess Eugenia? There's a mouthful! (Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson's daughter.) My ex's middle name was Eugene and he wanted to name DD#2 Eugenia. I said forget it.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8664689

Debra, do you have Mitch's e-mail address?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 30, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8665009

Dmail, Carrie. :-)

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8665911

I love yellow or any other color Daylily. My favorite colors are yellow and turquoise/blue (like the
Swedish flag), but Peach is another favborite...actually i love all of them and how resiliant they are!!

On becoming a registered wildlife habitat

...check on line- You have to provide food and nesting areas + water. I have planted many Viburnum species (have many volunteers to share!) Sparkle berry, Holly and plant flowers aimed at attracting hummers, songbirds & Butterflies.
When you have a good habitat in place, you're all set to go. and Sweet Woodruff. Also have lots
I have 3 wooded acres and provide water with birdbaths. Front yard is natural woodland shade garden. Many people see my yard and ask ,"Don't you ever mow?" I just smile and tell them that is the area that God cares for!
I am currently overrun with Black-Eyed Susans, Lilly of the Valley, , Sweet Woodruff and Gooseneck Loosestrife if any one wants some. I don't have many scented flowers or foliage and would love to increase that aspect of my garden also .

Oh and---my church is planting a prayer garden. I am trying to find plants mentioned in the Bible , Hyssop, Myrtle, etomec if any of you might have somethng to contribute, that would be awesome!!

Hugs all around,,
Sheri ^_^
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 1, 2011
7:48 AM

Post #8665957

Sheri, I will mark the fragrant Daylilies I have as they bloom and send some to you in September. Would love some Lily of the Valley. Was my mother's favorite flower and I haven't yet bought any to put in the memory garden. Do you like Rosemary? They have a wonderful scent, especially when wet. I have a cutting that has taken on almost a topiary shape and is still small enough to ship easily. Could put that either place. Caryopteris also have fragrant foliage and attract bees and butterflies. Agastaches are Hyssop, right?
Deb

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8666438

I love Rosemary, yes I think Agastaches are Hyssop,will need to look up Caryopteris. I can send a good amount of Lily of the Valley to you for your memory garden.

Sheri
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 1, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8666453

The Agastache is a baby and would be too stressed, I think to send now. But do you want me to ship the Rosemary, or wait until it cools down some in September?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8666577

Anything from the Apia... umbellate family (dill, fennel, parsley, QAL, carrots, etc. might be hyssob -- I think. Not sure.

I can definitely send more than one Stella out once I get DH to dig them. We have gobs and gobs. (Yellow for Sheri.) Sheri we also have a lot of coreopsis 'Moonbeam' which is yellow. Want some of that? No fragrance (that I am aware of).
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 1, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8666901

Sheri, the most common plant mentioned in the Bible has to be the fig. Do you have one of those? ‘Brown Turkey is said to be hardy as far north as 7a. Have you ever seen any growing up there? We have plenty of figs.
As a new addition to our fig collection, PJ recently bought something labeled “Dwarf Fig: Edible.” The only growing information was that it has a max height is 6’. It looks like it will stay the size advertised, but “edible” is a broad term. In my experiments with wild foods, I’ve started categorizing them as “tasty”, “blah” and “famine food.” The latter might be “edible,” but you wouldn’t want to eat them if there was a choice. “Blah” is like beautyberries. They don’t have a pronounced taste. They are sort of like a wild version of tofu. :-) “Tasty” is like blackberries. You can eat the food out of hand and enjoy it. I’ll probably add even more categories as the experiment continues.
The ‘Friar’ plums are just about ready for harvest. We should be able to snag them for snacking on the beach along with a watermelon. Kay tried to explain the “plink-plank-plunk” system of deciding if a watermelon is fully ripe. I discovered I have no ear for fruit. I’m watermelon tone deaf. ~N~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 2, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8667743

First bloom from Francis of Assisi

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 2, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8667745

Young Planet. It is not as intense a red as photographed, but I couldn't get the editing software to get the colors quite right.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8668253

They're all beautiful to me but I still don't see why one should cost $1 and another, $50!

When I wrote an article on "The Investor's Garden" (money plant and basket of gold and stuff like that" someone wrote in and said "please do more theme garden articles. When you do a joke article, full of puns, like that one was, you can ignore the fact that the plants could never grow together. For instance I had orchids and tropical plants in my investor's garden. But I don't think a Biblical garden would lend itself to puns and jokes -- and now I think someone else already wrote about it.

I was going to do an article on The Music-lover's Garden. or maybe The Music Appreciation Garden. The problem is, so many DL and iris have great names that it would be a very dull garden, of just DL and iris, or at least a dull article.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 2, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8668347

How about an article on botanical nomenclature, using a daylily "monster" movie theme? There are DLs called Monster, Monster Magic, Wigged Out, Frankenstein's Monster, Nosferatu, Dracula, Bela Lugosi, Godzilla, Octopus, Octopus Beak. There are Alien, Alien DNA, Alien Encounter, Alien Force, Alien Invasion, Alien Invader, and Alien Garden Party. Might be fun to explore, anyway.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 3, 2011
11:56 AM

Post #8669887

Jim, weird, weird, weird. This is Ruby Fantasy again. Exact same plant, still in the same container. Nothing but water. This one is NOT pink. The phone camera tunes out brownish tints, and it is a more vibrant color in person, although this is pretty close. I don't care for the curling petals, but you sure can see it standing out from a distance.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 3, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8669891

First bloom from Cherokee Star. I like it as well as the James Clark. One of the When I Dream should be opening next week. Looking forward to that one.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8670107

I bet someone who really knew daylily names could write a funny, fairytale that was 80% composed of DL names. Something along the lines of:
"‘Look’, ‘" Stella DeOro’ said "I have a ‘Little Wart’".
I told you to use ‘Sandra’s Secret Recipe’ said Stella's ‘Sassy Sister’.
"Do ‘Pardon Me’," said ‘Satan’s Mistress’, but I think you should really see the ‘Three Witches’ for that."...
DG could probably make a contest of it to see who could write the best story using the most DL names. lol. k*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2011
7:43 AM

Post #8671369

Kay, that's a fantastic idea! Mind if I think about it for a while? (2 weeks - 6 months...) Because every cultivar you put in would be a link of course...

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8671456

I do. agree that plant shipment would be safer later towards fall. With so man of us experiencing record highs, Just 15 minutes in a closed mail vehicle would surely cook them.
Yellow anything is wonderful. I also love anything (usually reds) that attracts hummers.
Someone recently gave me a bunch of white iris' that he had pulled to discard. They will be beautiful in the church prayer garden.
Figs? I love them! My momma had a large bush recently taken out because poisen ivy had taken over. The birds got most of them, but every year I got a few of those yummy figs.

Hugs to all of you, stay cool,

Sheri / BirdieBlue (BTW- there are 5 Bluebird eggs being lovingly incubate in my back yard. They are only a few feet from my deck !! I sure hope I get to watch them fledge!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8672361

YAY bluebirds!

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2011
5:49 PM

Post #8672519

^_^
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 4, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8672540

Sheri, I have a ton of soft yellow bearded Iris if you would like that, too.
Deb

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8673355

thank you Deb!
I Would enjoy them very much. They need to be planted in the fall, right . or if came right out of the ground, is it OK to plant now. I need to know because someone had donated a few white ones to go in our prayer garden and I don't really know what to do with them- let them dry for Fall planting, or plant now?? Also, they get planted fairly shallow I think---right??

Oh how I wish I had a teen to put to work in my garden since my back and knees are really in bad shape now.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 5, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8673535

As far as I know, you can plant them now. Might have to water some for a month or so. Reasonably shallow, I think. Might want to look that up. Fall might be better for what you are getting from me so you can stretch out the workload. But just dmail me an address whenever you are ready. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8673586

So, is it Sheri or Jim who likes yellow best? Or both? I have moonbeam coreopsis, Stella d'oros, and I just get so sick of yellow! The Stellas should ship fine; the coreopsis is more fragile out of the ground I'm so eager to get rid of it I'll send you my dirt as well! This is all semi-hypothetical, assuming I get the woman-power to assist.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8673642

ROFL Carrie, sending dirt
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 5, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8674233

Carrie, I don't have any special preference for yellow. but I don't mind it. Our house and barn are painted a sort of harvest yellow. (If I had to choose a favorite bloom color, it would be wine reds/burgundy.) It's pink taking over MY garden space I have trouble with. The ladies have shown restraint in keeping pink out of the Old Soldiers Garden so far.
Sheri, this is probably a dumb question considering your locale, but do you have Carolina jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirrns)?
It’s been a bad morning. I’m thinking a 12-foot fence completely surrounding the property might be my next big investment project. Then, I could let the dogs have the run of the place. Some scum stole all my ‘Friar’ plums. Better yet, maybe I’ll let Kay surround the property with her wicked ‘Flying Dragon’ trifoliate oranges. That would be cheaper, and their vicious thorns make them more effective than any manufactured fence. The deer couldn’t have reached all the plums and wildlife just doesn’t do things so neatly and efficiently.
Kay’s in a bad mood, too. The police told her she couldn’t burn the broken limbs and debris from the last few days of storms. The entire state is under a burn ban. Uh-h-h, I don’t know about other parts of the state, but there are mud puddles and standing water everywhere you look here and the humidity is at 60%. There is virtually no chance of a fire getting out of control. Kay’s muttering about “arrogant, simple-minded, control freaks. I definitely need to get her away for awhile. Building and burning brush piles and other types of controlled burns have always been part of Creek land management because a lot of dry debris makes an out-of-control fire more of a possibility. I suspect the holiday has more to do with it than anything. The fire marshal is being overzealous because it is firework season.
I like the look of the maypop vines at the moment, when there are flowers and fruit at the same time.

Thumbnail by seacanepain

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 5, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8674596

First Kachina Dancer bloom. Blurry, but the colors are almost true.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2011
7:01 AM

Post #8675701

We have gobs of DLs but so far only the yellow (ick) Stellas are blooming.
PlantiMcPlanter
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8675771

Gorgeous! My yellow stellas are starting to bloom. This year it seems like I have so many of THEM. How'd that happen? And for the first time, my orange "ditch" daylilies seem beautiful to me. I am a fickle woman...
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 6, 2011

Post #8676897

I have a new favorite. This one is Dixie Land Band.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 6, 2011

Post #8676902

Francis of Assisi is still much lighter than all the web photos.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8678766

Debra, your Dixie and Francis lilies are beautiful

I had a Carolina Jessamine until some idiot thought it was included in the fence vines to be removed. It had it's own shepherd's crook to grow some [people just have no common sense. He also sawed off a 3-4" diameter limb from my ornamental cherry tree planted 16 years ago. His daughter offered to glue it back on for me with super glue!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 7, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8679091

ROFL
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 7, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8679235

I can think of a thing or two for her to do with that super glue. :/

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8679333

She was just barely 9.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 7, 2011
9:58 PM

Post #8679557

Then I can think of a thing or three. :-)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

July 8, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8680663

Kay and I are both in better moods. She came home from the beauty shop with hair not much longer than mine and smiling. It must have been all that hair making her such a hot head. ;-)
Seriously, I think she went on line to try and grasp the rationale of the burn ban when everything was so damp. If she can wrap her mind around something, she’s okay. Irrational rules or rules that are in place for the purpose of empowering a select group bring out all her rebellious instincts. Evidently, whatever she found online satisfied her.
Until this year, I’d never noticed how spectacular the blossoms of plants in the cucurbitaceae family can be. (Squash, cucumbers. Melons, gourds, etc.) Staggering the planting of those has advantages other than not being hit with tons of cantaloupe or spaghetti squash at one time. Staggered planting also means their blossoms are around throughout high summer when few other things are flowering. But, it’s the largest of our sunflowers (over 8’ tall. ‘Russian Mammoth’?) that caught my eye today.
Nadine is busy with data entry work. I’m painting tires in pastel colors for the Cando Garden. I don’t mind painting stuff pink as long as it isn’t going into MY garden. :-) Kay is trying to keep up with the weeds. Working 15 minute stints outside, and then coming in to cool and dry off. It isn’t as hot as they were predicting (105), but, with such high humidity, mid-90’s is still tough. (Jim)

Thumbnail by seacanepain

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8680801

I've never grown a sunflower. Wow! Eight feet high sounds like a very tall shrub. Their stems, or rather, stalks must be thick and strong.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 8, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8680847

He's a handsome fellow.

I will take 105 if dry, over 95 with high humidity. Sounds like you guys are working it smart, though.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8681384

Debra, I hope you are not planning to do any work in the garden this weekend. I prescribe a cold watermelon and mindless entertainment until it cools off some. .
Humidity is at 72% now. I’m going to need gills soon. :-)
Sheri, those sunflowers have enormous flowerheads so I often end up having to stake them when they don’t have a wall or post nearby to lean on. Normally, I would avoid a plant I have to stake, but they produce a great crop of seeds. Enough to supply the birds AND us. That exempts them from the no staking policy. They also give trouble-free shade for the west side of the house in summer. In good soil they can reach 16’ making them perfect for the job. I think of those and the giant hardy hibiscus like ‘Crimson Wonder’ and ‘Plum Crazy’ as Alice in Wonderland flowers. :-) Not a bit of elegance or restraint to them. They are big, goofy smile plants. k*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 9, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8681945

Kay, I am struggling to convince myself to get dressed and go to the grocery before noon. Don't want to do ANYthing today. I know it sounds weird, but have been working Saturdays for so long that I am feeling withdrawals and deep anxiety at not being in the office for our event collection crews. Only second week they've been going on their own and all but one person went to the wrong site...sigh. Also, pretty sure the boss is trying to ease me over to a corner somewhere, if not actually out the door. Worsening MS symptoms have reduced my efficiency and such, so I guess I can understand it. And, after so long helping him build the business (eight years on July 5th), it's still hard to take.

Okay, enough wallowing. :/

I love sunflowers, all shapes and sizes. More of a tropical hibiscus person, though. I like the warm colors, and definition and character of the petal edges. Maybe I'll at least put on some shorts and go wallow in the flower beds. Back later. :-D
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 9, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8682089

Not being wanted at work h urts. Period. I think one of the best things I do as a boss is to tell Tony haw grateful I am for his work. He was off three days this week working at is parents' rancho and I gave him his full pay today. He was a little surprised. I said, "No problem." He are so grateful for each other that it borders on maudlin.

I've had two nights of about twelve hours of sleep. Maybe finally shaking off the last of whatever bug I picked up in LA.

I'm watching George Carlin DVD's in my air conditioned bedroom and working on curtains. Turning my mind off to anything else

My first gac seed sprouted the other day and the plant doubled in size since yesterday. Now about four inches tall. It loves hot weather. Glad something does cause I wilt. But Tony and I admire it and tak about male and female plants and generally feel good about each other and our lives. I love sending him home to his family feeling good about himself.

We had a Hawiian papaya from the tree I gave the neighbors who are in Wahington for the summer. Tony brought it over and it was so beautiful and fragrant. I've been telling two friends who have grocery stores about them so we cut it in half and Tony took one half to each of them. I do love coming up with food that has not been grown here before.

One dragonfruit plant has a third flower coming but no fruit set so far.

hugs, katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 9, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8682505

Katie, I try to tell my employees thanks or good job often, too. It helps both them and me remember what they do RIGHT. :-)

Okay, so I motivated myself to get dressed and go to the store. Running out of dog chews and toilet paper would have been baaaaaad. :-) Came in and out for an hour and a half, watering a little at a time. Settled back into house clothes--and get a call from the security monitoring station. The store alarm is going off. Get dressed, meet the police at the office, walk all 60,000 square feet of unairconditioned space with them, don't find anything out of place. The boss (who is herding a small gaggle of kids at Dave&Busters) calls our internal security weenie, thinking it's a wire short. Said weenie meets me at the building...and finds one of my bozos closing up the store last night didn't actually LOCK the front door. They locked the steel mesh gates that go across the door, but not the door itself. Wind caught it just right this afternoon and pulled it open enough to set off alarms...sigh...THIS is why I get the bigger bucks and company car. [Although, I gave the boss' daughter the Prius to go to Austin last weekend, and the AC went out on her Jetta. Soooo, I'm driving the company Expedition until it's fixed, which ALSO has a non-working AC. It's been a warm and "interesting" afternoon.]

On a less resigned note :-D: Jim, the When I Dream has bloomed. Looks a lot like the James Clark to me, but maybe will be different after it's bloomed a few times. Whatcha think?

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 9, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8682514

New bloom on Darker Shade. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, this flower!!!

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 9, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8682516

And, new bloom on Young Planet. The picotee rim is more defined and I think I like this one, too.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 9, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8682818

kay, is it time for a new thread?

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8682926

Debra, you have some of the most beautiful lilies I've seen. Your yard must be beautiful.!

Sheri
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 10, 2011
9:07 AM

Post #8683792

It is developing. I'm a kind of "wait and see what happens" gardener. Most of the structures and such originated from what plants, found materials, and helpers were available at the time. Or from experiments with plants I like, but are not sure will do well here. Hydrangeas, for one. They require much more water than I am willing to give the majority of plants. But every once in awhile, I'll try one. This year, the photo of Wedding Gown was so beautiful, I spent the $35 to get it. Couple of weeks later, spent $7 almost as an aside for a sale variegated Hydrangea from different seller. The expensive one went in the ground, in almost full shade, rich soil, right next to two Hellebores and a June hosta. The inexpensive one went into a container, two to three hours full morning sun, then shade rest of day. Both bloomed well-I do like lacecaps!-and I had hopes for being able to keep them alive THIS time. Look at the Wedding Gown. It is only mid-July. It ain't gonna make it through these extra hot temps, even with daily watering.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2011 11:20 AM

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

July 10, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8683839

Now, look at the variegated. Not only is it thriving in hot sunlight, it has a new, solid-green growth shoot that I am thinking might be a different Hydrangea (root stock, maybe? I dunno.) and it is sharing the pot with a rose shoot, a Blue Mouse Ears hosta, and a forgotten-name daylily little nubber. 'Splain that to me. :-)

I'm discovering I have preferences for old-fashioned, wildflower, tousled, airy, blowsy, and/or cottagey, kinds of plants. But set within a basic, structured framework. Contained chaos, I guess. Since I've gotten on this daylily kick, we are moving much faster. Out of necessity--so they don't all die, or I don't have 63 containers to water. [grin] Still have to really get to work on the side yard for the Green Amber Gardens project. Only now I have a lot more plant stuff ready to go in! LOL Think I need professional help in getting the Green Amber website seen. Been up for months and not a single entry beyond the two I put in. Might have to start researching newspaper articles and such for entries on my own. But that is for the hermit hours in mid-August.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2011 11:22 AM

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 10, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8684356

Wow, 213 post! It is more than time to refresh this thread. Thanks for the reminder. I click "end" and skip to the bottom of the page, then, scroll UP to the newest post so I didn't realize how long this had gotten. k*
Practical Matters #11::
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1195873/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America