New baby duck

Conroe, TX

We had 5 duck eggs under a Silkie hen, 3 got broken by other Silkies trying to steal the eggs, they all go broody at once. So, my son got mad at them and kicked them all out of the hen house (except the one) and blocked the door during the day and would only let them in to roost at night. So there were two eggs left, last week they both candled good, we could tell they were moving. Today one hatched. I think the other may have died, the egg is all dark and we hear no sound from it and the shell is turning a strange color.

Anyway, here is the one that hatched.

Thumbnail by smedgekles
Conroe, TX

another picture

Thumbnail by smedgekles
Conroe, TX

Snuggling with mama.....ah hen.

Thumbnail by smedgekles
Richmond, TX

Baby ducklings are too cute, and this one has such a good mom - irresistible!

Ferndale, WA

Baby duck under mamma chicken. That is just to funny. How terrible cute it is....Hay

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

oh how sweet

(Zone 5b)

Awwww, what a good mommy!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Awww! That is the cutest picture!!! Love it!! Silkie mom, who could ask for more? :)

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Awww, Little ducky with a Silkie mommy, too cute!

(Zone 6b)

That is so cute! One duck is better than no duck. What happened to the other egg?

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

I had a silkie hatch out a whole batch of baby ducks. She had an absolute fit the first time they went into the water.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

I wondered about that! A wet Silkie isnt a pretty site! I bet Mom was fit to be tied!

(Zone 5b)

Haha, poor Silkie mommy watching her babies go in the water! She must have been horrified, poor thing!

I was thinking of getting a goose as a guardian for the chickens. Is that possible? Do they need water (pond or pool)? Do they need a mate? Are females or males better? I only want one, but it might be cruel not to have a pair? I'm guessing they don't roost, just sit on the coop floor at night? Is there a good guardian breed that is civil to people?

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

knew I would find the pics to show you. Read opening statement and look at the 3rd pic
http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5329 then read the last statement

This message was edited May 25, 2011 9:32 AM

(Zone 5b)

WOW, Donna, WOW!!! Awesome pond and beautiful ducks. Poor mother hen, she looks so worried!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

sure wish it was mine lol

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

Annie, Yes, they are good watchdogs and will sound an alarm. No they don't need a pond, but do need enough water that they can stick their heads in and wash their eyes. (We had a small wading pool) Don't need a mate, they will actually bond with you more if they don't and definately a female. I loved my Toulouse. They have better dispositions. They don't roost, but if loose will poop on the back steps. (It's slippery. We KNOW this)

I just found out today, someone is bringing me 5 Embdens and 3 toulouse. We will probably keep the toulouse and eat or rehome the embdens.

(Zone 5b)

I'm seriously considering getting a goose, thanks for the recommendation on a female Toulouse. Now to find a place where I can order just one, JUST ONE, I swear it. LOL

(Zone 5b)

I forgot to ask what to feed them? Will layer feed work when they're older? I don't know how I could keep a different food for it. Right now I have the teen chicks and the three older hens on Flock raiser, still have oyster shells out for the hens and the teens don't even look at it.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Annie feed geese 1/2 scratch and 1/2 pellet chicken food mixed plus they free range grass all day. 1 goose would be very unhappy. They need a friend. 2 females will be fine

(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Donna! I'm still mulling it over. They take up a lot of room and don't lay daily like chickens. Maybe I'll get some geeses when Catmad gets her Guineas??

Conroe, TX

Nothing like stretching out on someones shoulder. This little duck is 1-1/2 weeks old and getting big fast. I can't believe how fast these things grow. This picture was taken at about a week old, so it has grown more already. I call it Zoey hoping it's female, but it may be a Joey.

Thumbnail by smedgekles
Conroe, TX

Not the least bit spoiled :)

Thumbnail by smedgekles
Conroe, TX

What a profile.

Thumbnail by smedgekles
Richmond, TX

Such a wild thing!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

are you putting it in the bath tub to swim yet??

Conroe, TX

No, but my son did put it in the duck pond for a while. It loved it, and the other ducks didn't seem to mind or notice.

(Zone 6b)

Precious.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.