Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Fun feature: Dave's Garden Sunday Funnies: Colorful frog species

Communities > Forums > Article: Fun feature: Dave's Garden Sunday Funnies
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fun feature: Dave's Garden Sunday FunniesReplies: 5, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8580092

These frogs are guaranteed to thrive in every growing zone but do tend to grow larger in sun vs shade. Their skin tends to sag and become wrinkly in very cold winters but they perk up in spring when the temperature rises. They, however, do not handle high winds well and those in windy coastal areas and tornado alley might do well to consider other species. Research has shown no impact on native insect species despite their astonishing size. Other wildlife does not appear to be affected except their bright colors may frighten some species of birds and dogs. They are not implicated in the most common frog problem, ie, that of noise. Despite their innocuous nature, some very strict homeowner associations have banned the purple and pink varieties saying they are not "appropriate" for more natural settings.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8580117

Very cute. I know for sure my HOA would not approve of pink and purple frogs, btw, although, like most invading species once they get introduced it would probably be difficult to get rid of them. LOL.
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8580351

Again I am so thankful that I no longer live in an HOA!

My caption: KISS US! One of us might be your Prince!

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8580455

bsavage,

I like your caption, a totally different and novel perspective on things, and very cute.

As to the HOA, tell me about it. I just went through a terrifying year with no job and struggling to stay afloat. Some 6wks ago I got a job, only to find that after a year of not working, suddenly working full time again was totally kicking my butt. It was literally ALL that I could do to work, feed the pets, and sleep, and after a year w/o money, I could not yet afford to hire someone to do the yard work. Oh, and at work I have to climb stairs 5 or 6x a day, so I've been having knee problems. The 1st 2 wks I could hardly walk at all after work. I mean I was hobbling around like I was totally debilitated.

Since the day I started my new job, I've been doing all that I could to hang in there and get by until I can get back into working shape again. Meanwhile, in the middle of all of this drama, this enormous struggle to survive, I get a letter from the HOA complaining that I need to weed the flower beds and get the house washed. Yes, I know I need to do those things, but now is NOT a good time - but as you no doubt know, HOA's do not care what is going on in your personal life. They only care that the house and lawn look at all times like something out of House & Garden or Architectural Digest.

But, as usual, I digress. Now about those cool and colorful giant frogs...
bsavage
Dolores, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8581719

Dream, you're doing great! It sounds like you have your hands full, but aren't you so proud of yourself for getting through a very difficult time?!! I understand getting physically used to a new job... when I started my job about 16 months ago, it completely kicked my butt at first as well. The good news is that I lost about 13 pounds, and the better news is that I am much stronger now. You can do it! Hang in there!

(Sorry for digressing from the original topic!)
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8582101

bsavage, love your caption!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fun feature: Dave's Garden Sunday Funnies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
An Example of... DreamOfSpring 5 May 22, 2011 2:10 PM
Take me to your... pond! LhasaLover 0 May 22, 2011 5:13 PM
Inventer frogs wares jazzy1okc 1 May 23, 2011 5:50 AM
I want to be loved by you! soive2000 1 May 23, 2011 5:45 AM
Bug Busters! beceoh 1 May 23, 2011 5:44 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America