Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beekeeping: help!! forgot to paint entrance of bottom board

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 2, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BKTei
Feasterville Trevose, PA

May 22, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8580172

Me & my husband are new to beekeeping. We put our new bees into the hive today a few hours ago. We just noticed that we never painted the entrance to the bottom board. Should we paint it now - its about 7pm? Or should we wait until tomorrow morning and then leave the bottom board out all day so it doesn't smell like new paint? Or should we just leave it?
boxcar_grower
South Hadley, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8582995

Just leave it.

Options would be to order/make a new bottom board and paint it up and switch it. Hard to paint with the bees in. You could close the hive up for a day or two and paint but that would not be my first choice.
cfbloom
Marengo, IL

May 23, 2011
8:30 PM

Post #8583311

I build most of my own hives, roofs, bottom boards, etc.
Don't worry about it.
If it's really bothering you, you can paint it after the bees have "gone to bed" for the night. Exterior latex would probably be best since an oil base wouldn't dry by morning.
I've used oil based paint, latex and epoxy (2 part system). I can't say that 1 is any better than the other.
I've built hive supers out of pine, oak, cedar, old barnwood, etc. I don't think I'd use cedar again for supers, although it works great for the landing board & frame and will probably last for more than 5 years unfinished. I don't finish most of the supers I build, although sanding them smooth & rubbing in a coat of linseed might give them an extra year or 2?
I bought a bunch of supers that were painted inside & out with aluminum exterior oil based paint & they deteriorated (rotted inside) faster than any wood I have left untreated. Natural wood probably "breathes" better and is just as cool as paint.
You don't have to paint everything white. Chromium oxide green and other iron oxides reflect as much infrared as white and don't stick out like a sore thumb.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America