Photo by Melody

Sewing and Quilting: Help me with my rag quilt please :)

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 231, Views: 1,273
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

May 22, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8580187

Bought some cotton to try making a rag quilt. Haven't deciding on the batting? Thinking maybe just a flannel so it won't be stiff? Would I wash the flannel 1st, or just sew it? I was also thinking of Fleece for the backing (it's 50% off at Joann's) But then I read the flannel won't won't unravel. Any tips or idea's are appreciated.

Here are the colors...

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8580252

Barb - I have used the Warm & White batting on a quilt . . . it is about the thickness of flannel, and it holds to the cotton material very well. That you can get at Joann's too, for pretty reasonable - especially if you have a coupon or if it's on sale.

Those are fantastic colors!

Nichole

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

May 22, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8580276

Thanks Nichole!
Do you think I should go with cotton for the back too? I just love the feel of the fleece, but if it won't "rag" like the cotton it probably won't look right.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8580283

I will let someone more experienced in quilting answer the fleece part . . . I'd think that having the thicker material as a backing would be a bit much . . . unless you use the fleece as the backing/batting - instead of using a separate backing and batting, just quilt your top directly onto the fleece? Just a thought . . .

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2011
9:01 PM

Post #8580837

Hi! I'm sure there are plenty of answers out here, but I'll jump in with my two cents... Some of the better cotton fabrics may not 'fringe' as much as a flannel, I've been told that 'homespun' fabrics, which are a looser weave, seem to rag nicely, but have not tried it yet. I was saving that for appliqueing Overall Bill patterns for a youngster's quilt. If you use all cotton, try making a 2 or 3 layer 'sandwich' out of a square, then washing and drying it to see how the seams look..

I have only made 2 rag quilts, and a 3rd in progress. The first one I used flannel for all 3 layers: top, back and batting. Thick, fluffy and plenty of weight! The second one I just used 2 layers for front and back, much easier to sew, and lighter in weight. Depending on your seasonal temps, 3 layers (even with a normal quilt batting) may be too warm. And it also depends on the thickness of your flannel before you start putting it together.
The first one I made was a baby size, flannel was from Joann's, a nice weight, not the cheaper lightweights. After I got it all together, I measured it before washing... after washing and drying in 3 cycles, it had shrunk 3" in one direction, and 2" in the other. (I had added one extra row, to allow for shrinkage, as the instructions had mentioned that flannel would shrink ALOT more than cottons). But the seams 'ragged' beautifully, and it makes a nice padded quilt for baby to play on the floor.
The second one was slightly bigger than a lap robe, and I only used 2 layers. It felt a little light and 'cheap' while sewing, but after washing and drying, it was just the right weight for watching TV under!
The 3rd one is for my step-daughter's car. She's a Nascar fan, and she can keep it in the car for when she goes to the races. Sort of like a blanket that you would use for football games or such.

If you prewash the flannel, you may not get as much 'ragging' as you would like in the seams. When the fabric fringes in the wash, and shrinks in the hot dryer, the seams get all puckery and wavy to create the cool looking seam. Prewashing/drying would already shrink the flannel to some extent, but you'd still get some of the effect, IMO.

I've not really sewn much with fleece, but my son bought a bolt of it and wants me to use it for the backing on a quilt top, instead of batting and quilting it. Guess that means I'll be tying the quilt together instead, as I would think the fleece would move around alot with free motion. You could try a small size, like for a pet or similar to see how it reacts in your machine. Fleece backing and a flannel top, stitched with an X thru the squares, may just hold it enough to get the look you want... would be interesting to see what you come up with!

If you haven't already, there are lots of articles on the web for rag quilts. This is the one I referred to (and I've attached the pic of my first rag):

http://quilting.about.com/od/ragquiltpatterns/ss/rag_quilt_basic.htm

http://www.quilting101.com/styles/rag-quilts.html

I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies on rag quilts from others here, but the above links will give you lots of tips!

This message was edited May 23, 2011 12:08 AM

Thumbnail by Kizmo

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
2:55 AM

Post #8581094

My 2 cents worth. Whatever method you use or fabric, be sure to get the spring loaded scissors for fringing and don't try to fringe the whole quilt in one sitting.
Kizmo, that is one beautiful rag quilt.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8581396

Thanks Mittsy! I copied one from the web that was solid pink and pink gingham, but just added more colors. It did turn out really cute! And I defiinitely agree - those spring scissors are a godsend!! Snipping all those seams with regular scissors sure played havoc on these old hands!

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8581426

Thanks for recommending not to wash the flannel first. Going to make a rag with flannel and denim squares. The denim is prewashed (bought it off Ebay) from old jeans, etc. Have some denim from old shirts, etc. of my own, but this group was in all different solid colors, as are the flannels that I am going to use.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8581597

I've not tried one with denim yet, although I keep reading articles on them... One mentioned that stitching the big X thru the center of the squares would keep the flannel from pulling the denim out of shape, but I would think it would still look too poofy. Now if you had flannel scraps, from say, old flannel shirts from Goodwill or whatever, and used those, eventually the seams would rag after some washings and it wouldn't shrink like a new fabric would... depends on what look you're going for, I suppose.
Were you alternating denim and flannel squares on both sides or just using the denim on one side and flannel on the other? Prewashed flannel and those old denims alternating in rows would look rather cool, I think! I would cut a 4" square of flannel, handwash it in hot water, then throw it in the dryer in one of those mesh bags, then measure for the amount of shrinkage. I've been told that flannels shrink at different rates... when I bought mine, the flannel I got from Joann's shrank (shrunk) more than the flannel remnants I got from WM...

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8581773

Kizmo... probably will use denims alternating in the front only. May wash the flannel first in cold and hang- dry so that I get some shrinkage, but not fully pre-shrunk. Will let you know how it comes out.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
9:23 AM

Post #8581847

I haven't made one of these yet, but I'm sure gonna save all these good ideas.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8581981

I have made a few rag quilts...one was with denim and flannel, alternating / random squares on both sides...did not pre wash either of them. did sew the x across the squares, and a seam all around the square inside of the clipping line... I made it so I could clip 1/2 inch... it was some very spiffy denim, it looked "denim" on one side...pink on the other side !! alternated with the colors on that too...Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of it :(

made one with all flannels too...did pre wash, and dry in the dryer before using in the quilt...still "ragged" just fine

spring scissors are an ABSOLUTE MUST !!!!

both made for recipients in florida...so I only used two layers.

fleece does not un ravel but it does make some nifty fringe... I have made many lap quilts with both sides made of just a large piece of fleece...with all the sides cut at 1/2 inch intervals (fringe), about 6'' deep... put the two pieces on top of one another...tie one fringe of each fabric into a knot...makes a great and very quick lap quilt... when you use two very different fabrics, as you tie the knots, fabric "moves" so that colors switch sides...( if you did black one side a stripe the other side, after you tie...stripe fringe will be on the black side)
have seem the same idea done with large blocks... same idea sorta...as a rag quilt...looks pretty cool, but never felt like cutting that much fringe, or tying THAT many knots !!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8581996

One caveat about tied quilts. This was probably a freak accident but... The ties can stretch out and can cause entanglement. They are strong and won't break. I would NEVER use a tied quilt for a baby or young child.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8582016

Thunder, on the first denim/flannel... when you washed it, how much did the flannel 'pull' the denim? (since flannel shrinks and denim doesn't, or was it new denim?). I was looking at a rag pattern that uses denim for the background, then a flannel circle or square on point stitched on top in the center, leaving the flannel seams raw so they rag. Looked pretty cool, but I'm thinking the flannel would have to be preshrunk slightly or the denim would pull out of shape?

Like I said, I've not made many of these, but they are so easy to do! Seems like they had been really popular way before I discovered them.

I have some really big pieces of fleece that I was wanting to piece together.. should I use a zigzag stitch instead of straight stitch?

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
11:11 AM

Post #8582096

I bookmarked a site awhile back that when tying with yarn or ribbons, to cut a piece long enough to tie a knot with, then place it on the quilt and use your machine to take a couple of backstitches in the center of the yarn or whatever to secure it to the quilt top. Also found a video on YouTube that shows a tying technique that uses a couple of V shaped stitches through the quilt, then the thread is passed thru the inside with the batting to where the next stitch goes. She was using a quilting thread for that, and it made for an interesting stitch on the outside.
Mom and Gma always used scrap yarns and crochet cottons to tie with on the utility quilts. A few baby quilts were tied with yarn, but if the yarn came out, it wasn't more than a few inches long at best.
I agree with Karen though... there are so many ways to do this, and a simple idea can cause big problems if not thought through. I've seen child quilts tied with ribbons and those would be longer lengths, but they would almost have to be stitched permanently thru the bow or they would come loose easily. Not sure what kind of knot Gma used, but Mom still has one of her old wool quilts that the ties are still in place and she used yarn... must have been one heck of a stong knot!

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

May 23, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8582136

Thanks for all the great info!
Looks like fleece is out. I want it really raggy, lol

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8582708

Kathy, I was talking about the quilts that are made with 2 layers of fleece that are tied together around the edges. Also called a no-sew quilt. While I'm on a rant, the baby fabric that is pre quilted with nylon thread or in fact the quilts themselves that can be bought ready made, are very dangerous. The nylon thread seems to loosen or break. My grandson when just a few months old was sleeping under one. His fingers became entangled in the thread, it was wound so tightly, that his fingers were blue when luckily I went to check on him. I had to cut threads to get him loose. Needless to say that blanket was discarded immediately.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8583217

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood which you were talking about..I've not made any of those no-sew quilts, but have looked at them in Joann's when they're on sale. They look like a good project for older kids.
I remember you telling the story of the nylon thread, that would be scary! Good thing you caught it before it damaged the circulation in the fingers.
When the pre-quilted fabric came out eons ago, Mom bought a yard to put binding on for a quick blanket for my niece. The stitching was that invisible thread monofilament stuff, and after one washing, it came right out! Tangled up around the other clothes in the washer... She took it to her Ladies Aid meeting and showed the other farm wives what happened, as they were going to have a craft demonstration on baby gifts. Not wanting to waste the money she had in it, she ended up stitching it to a muslin backing, crosshatched in on her treadle machine and put it in the toy box - minus all that invisible thread. Lots of it are sold, I guess she just got a bad piece.
I've heard that the store quilts come apart if they are dried in a hot dryer, since the monofilament is nylon or whatever. That would be a waste, as I've seen some of them at Crackerbarrel and in catalogs that are made from pretty fabric patterns.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8583300

I'm thinking that commercial stitching comes out pretty easily. I wanted a certain fabric not too long ago and the only bit of it I could find was pre-quilted. so I bought it and took it apart. It was quite easy. After washing, all the stitching lines were gone.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8583348

Kiz, they were both new fabrics, and surprisingly the flannel did not pull on the denim at all...maybe because of the x and the square stitched in each block??? Usually I would pre wash any flannel, as it does generally shrink quite a bit...butttttt when I did this quilt I was following directions from a blog, and it stated "no need to pre-wash" seeing as it was the first rag quilt I made...I followed the directions...it came out quite well...made it about 10 years ago, and it is still going strong...

if you are talking about the type of quilt I am thinking of with flannel squares put on top of denim circles...I would definitely pre-shrink the flannel !!! got a bunch of circles sitting on a shelf for one of those quilts...and some flannel squares on another shelf, and a big box of old jeans, and old shirts, waiting to be cut up...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8583373

I know the those prequilted fabrics have larger stitches, no wonder they come out so easily, wonder what type of stitch is used on those industrial machines... never thought about taking one of those apart to use the fabric, good idea Karen!

wow, Thunder, we think alike on some things, don't we???? I have some flannel shirts that are too small for hubby and old jeans that I wanted to try this out on, cut out squares, stitch on without worrying about turning under or matching seams.. what's not to like?!?!?!?!?

OK, I'm off here for now, spent too much time on here already, the clock says it's almost tomorrow! LOL
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2011
3:52 AM

Post #8587890

I'd avoid putting fleece on the back of a cotton fabric quilt, especially if you plan to wash it. The 2 types of fabric will not wear the same.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8588093

2 or 3 layers the center layer is smaller the the front & back no fleece it won't fray and thats the whole idea.
here in Texas I do a lot of 2 layer rag quilts either both flannel or flannel & denim . don't prewash again you want it to fray & shrink up. they are fun, fast & easy to make . very forgiving . I teach this as a first time quilt.

Thumbnail by denimangle

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2011
9:11 AM

Post #8588357

cool idea! Love the star!

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

May 26, 2011
9:16 AM

Post #8588364

Thanks everyone! I'm so tickled I thought to ask before just jumping in and scewing it up ! I'm in Phoenix... HOT! So I think I'll try just the 2 layers. Flannel on the back :)
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8588486

kizmo ..its the Texas State Flag..
Fish_knees . 2 layers will be good .
are you doing a pattern or just random sqs?

Thumbnail by denimangle

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

May 26, 2011
11:10 AM

Post #8588637

Just alternating the 3 colors, don't want to get too crazy on the 1st one :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8597837

One more thing about making the rag quilts. When you wash and dry them, make sure you clean your filters frequently, as you will get a lot of threads from them.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8597867

you are so right Linda .. I like to shake them out after the washer ..it helps a little

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8597873

By 'filters', are you talking about the lint screen?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8598182

yes

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8598210

If fact I KILLED my son's washing machine washing a rag quilt for the first time. IF you are on a septic tank rather than sewer you might want to consider a trip to the laundry mat. All that said, I LOVE the way the rag quilt turned out. I used denim and flannel and it was almost twin size.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8627138

Fish_knees hows that quilt coming along any pictures yet?

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

June 13, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8628679

Sigh...I got all the top squares cut out and went to Joanne's to get the flannel for the back. I REALLY wanted purple and they were out, so I bought the green. Then life/family got in the way :( I went to Joanne's yesterday and they had the purple! So it will have the green in the middle and purple for the back. Now I just have to cut out a ton of squares. My expensive spring action titanium scissors that I splurged on a while ago seemed to have grown legs and walked away...no one will admit to it. And I'm too cheap right now to buy more. So it will take a while to cut all those squares.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8628734

Fish... don't you have a rotary cutter they are so fast for cutting strips & sqs

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

June 13, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8628817

yes, but my mat is so small. I did drag out my 6ft table to work on. Maybe I'll try the rotary again. Just afraid I'll run off track and waste fabric :(

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8628854

One thing about rag quilts... even if you cut the squares slightly off track, by the time the quilt shrinks and wrinkles, you probably wouldn't notice it. I cut my first baby rag out with rotary, and used my dress shears to 'rag' it, as I didn't have the spring shears then. I have found my scissors in a stack of fabric at times, it may just be hiding... LOL
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2011
9:28 PM

Post #8628879

Kizmo is right on .. the quilt is very forgiving ..even if the seams are off when its all said and done no one knows ..

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

June 14, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8629420

Good to know! I have a tendancy to be OCD :(

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8630864

Fishy, I have made 5 rag quilts. A couple had a 'batting' between the top and back and a couple had just the top and back. The first had flannel and plaid 'homespun', the rest were all flannel. I always wash everything unless it is a kit. They all turned out great. The last one has a lot of Laurel Burch fabrics and other brights and I made it bigger than the usual lap or crib size. If you use flannel as the batting and make it the same size as the front and back, when you wash it you have more fringe. Anyway, they are fun. It takes about as long to cut the fringe as it does for the entire quilt so far! On the Laurel Burch quilt I made the back the same as the front, except for the fringe of course. I just love it! And so do the cats. After I washed it I put in in the dryer for 10 minutes and cleaned the filter. I cleaned the filter every 10 minutes until it was nearly dry then draped it over the clothes line until dry. Then I ran it thru the dryer on just air until there was hardly any lint threads or until I got tired...

Thumbnail by morknotmindy

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

June 14, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8630924

I ♥ those cats!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8631048

morknotmindy
love the quilt

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2011
3:52 AM

Post #8631400

Me too. The cats are the greatest!!! I have yet to tackle one of these. I think I'm afraid of all the cutting for the fringe. I have arthritus in my hands and fingers so I'm kind of afraid to do one...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2011
5:34 AM

Post #8631523

Just make sure you have the little spring loaded scissors they make just for that! They sure do make it easier.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8631532

im going to have to get these spring loaded scissors. I make lots of these in lap size quilt in a day quilts .

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2011
5:40 AM

Post #8631540

They are about $15.00, but well worth the investment!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8632600

you can get the spring scissors, at joanne's using a 50% off coupon !!! first one I did I used regular scissors...killed my hands...

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8633071

Thunder ---- got mine at Joann's. Haven't used it yet, but hearing you ladies talk, I had an extra 50% coupon, saw the scissors waiting for fabric to be cut and grabbed them.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

June 15, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8633200

Got out my rotary cutter and my mat, cut a bunch :)
I also got those little spring loaded scissors 50% off at Joanne's. They are still in the package. Only about 90 more squares to cut :(

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2011
4:21 AM

Post #8633605

You are off to a great start and I'm sure you are going to be so thrilled with this quilt. We love having you here and hope to see a picture or two...
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8634368

Fish_knees
how big a quilt are you making ?

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8634528

Thank you everyone for the kind words. As soon as I get my camera back from my DIL I'll take a pic of the whole quilt. I love Laurel Burch stuff, especially the cats. So bright and beautiful. And, of course, I have to buy nearly every cat fabric I run across... Fishy, have you been quilting long? I know you do a lot of gardening, and you really like blue!
Everyone, check out SW Gardening forum and see what Fishy is usually up to.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

June 16, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8634808

No not quilting long, LOL! Here is my cat quilt (1st quilt). I need to embroider the whiskers and put button eyes on. I had no idea what I was doing but the helpful quilters here have put up with my silly questions so I may just get it done.
It's too hot to be in the garden until about November :(
My plan is to make it 7 squares X 8 squares (10 inch squares before sewing).
Thanks again for everyone's comments and help!
You keep me motivated :)

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8634823

Very cute, thank you for showing us. Are you in any danger from the fires?

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

June 16, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8634830

No, the fires are up north...it is just devastating :(

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8634881

Fishy, I love your cat quilt!! So bright and cheerful. And that is pretty darn good for a first quilt. I'm going to see if my son still has the one I made for him when he was little. It was my first one and the seams were 5/8 or something. My son loved it. We called it his Linus quilt. That was long before the Linus quilt project. Maybe we can have a thread showing our first quilts.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8634959

Love the cat quilt!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8635020

love the kitties
sweetee288
Orlando, FL

June 25, 2011
6:55 PM

Post #8654602

I made a rag quilt out of all my 100% cotton scraps. I did 3" squares, stacked one for the top, one for the middle (batting area) and one for the back, did a small 1/4" seam all the way around and let the cottons fringe themselves. It came out fabulous. The best part was I had zero dollars out of pockets as this was total scraps! =)

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8654716

You and Thunder... her with the 1.5 inch charm quilt stuff and YOU with a 3 inch block for RAG QUILT! Gluttons for punishment!! LOL
sweetee288
Orlando, FL

June 25, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8654720

Ha ha haa... Thunder is my sister-n-law.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2011
5:58 AM

Post #8655215

Would love to see pictures of the 3 inch rag quilt please?

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 1, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8667080

Yay! Got all the squares cut and managed to sew a few :) Hopefully during the long weekend I can make a dent!

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8667098

Way to go!! Looking forward to more pictures.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2011
3:29 AM

Post #8667431

Love your color and print choices. It's going to be VERY cute. Would be neat to see 'in the process' pictures as well as the outcome. Would be a tutorial for some of us who have not tried one. Fish_knees can be DG's version of Eleanor Burns...LOL
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8667646

going to be a very pretty quilt . love the colors

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 2, 2011
7:37 PM

Post #8668872

Row one done! (hey, were did that dog come from)
Note to self, keep a pair of sharp seam rippers handy...sewing the seems on the wrong side is a tough habit to break...

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8668946

Fish_knees... the dog probably came from my house, but I have plenty to spare...

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 2, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8668956

LOL, she is a camera hog :)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8669213

I really like those colors Fish_knees. And where does your name come from? I bet there is a story there!!!! Thank you for showing the row like that. I've never done a rag quilt and it is interesting to me to see the steps... How many layers are together before you X the block?
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 3, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8669252

Wonderful happy colors. Love the helper you have.
And again Thank you for showing the steps as I too have not done one of these...yet

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2011
9:03 AM

Post #8669593

Barb, I have only done one rag quilt and I experimented and ended up with NO middle layer needed in mine. It was made of one layer of denim and one good flannel. I loved the way it turned out. I sewed the X before the square was sewn into the next block.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 3, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8669597

The name? Hmmmmm I have 4 ponds and lots of fish ~~~~~~>(())">

The back is purple flannel the center is green flannel.

Me showing steps on how to do a quilt is pretty frightening ...LOL...

Barb~~~~

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8669606

Aw come on Fish, everbody gets to be a teacher sometime and this time it's YOU!! (and you are doing a fabulous job of it!)

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 4, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8671954

1/2 way! Woooo Hooooo! I had to hang it on the chair backs in order to get a pic without a fuzzy little black dog in the middle of it :O

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8672174

That is very pretty!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8672187

Well of course the fuzzy dog was in the middle of it!! The dog KNOWS you are making it for her/him!!! She wants to show her appreciation!!

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 4, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8672235

LOL, yes in this house it is all about Jaz :)

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8672272

Is Jaz a Cock-A-Poo? or??? REALLY cute!!!

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 4, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8672371

Yorkie-poo :)

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8672577

Great colors and generous sized blocks. I like that you X quilted the blocks before sewing them. Will need to use a fbric pencil for that. Can't quilt a straight line without following a seam.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8673317

Is the back color a solid purple? I thank you so much for taking these pictures. I can clearly see now how each block is constructed and then joined. How big a seam did you use? Maybe I can make one if I get someone to "rag" the seams for me. My hands could never do that anymore. Uncle Arthur has had his way with them and they are very weak...I know you use special scissors but is there any special way of cutting the rag? As in how close or how deep?
I'm really loving this thread!!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8673349

Barb, the seams are usually sewn a good 1/2 inch, then you use the spring loaded scissors and cut about 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart. Cut as close as you can to the seam, but don't cut through it, or you will have to stick it back in the machine for stitching.
Then wash it several times to fluff the edges, but make sure you clean the washer and dryer filter frequently.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 5, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8673350

Yes solid purple, I'll take a pic when I get home tonight. This my 1st, so I'm learning as I go. I picked up some of those small spring action scissors to clip the seams. The seams are 1/2 inch.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2011
8:57 AM

Post #8673567

Thanks ladies. I just may need to try one of these!!!!! Are there any fabrics that are better to use than others? I ve heard of flannel, cotton, and denim.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2011
10:39 AM

Post #8673800

Flannel & denim probably ravel the best and softest.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2011
10:52 AM

Post #8673826

cotton ravels good too!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8673835

I LOVE denim. I made mine using just one layer of denim and one layer of flannel and I really liked the way it turned out. I gotta get one of those special clippers next time though!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2011
11:33 AM

Post #8673926

I use a lot of Denim & Flannel
or all 3 flannel, or just 2 layers of flannel
Barb that would be the easiest for you to cut

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8674747

Would it be an appropriate blanket for a baby if it was done in flannels? Or would it be too heavy?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8674758

I don't know... part of me would worry about the frayed edges somehow being a problem.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 5, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8674838

If you Google Rag Quilt there are a ton of baby quilts. I think the concern is making it out of a fabric that is fire retardant.

Here is the back :)

You guys rock! Thanks again for all the support ♥

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8674951

As far as weight is concerned Barb, I doubt if two layers of flannel would be too heavy. No more than a layer of polar fleece.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8675027

I do them for baby quilts all the time I do wash them 2 or 3 times . two layers are a good weight for baby quilts
don't use polar fleece for a rag quilt it doesn't fray
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 6, 2011
1:48 AM

Post #8675286

So I have a question. Can I use cotton fabric on top and flannel on the bottom? Not sure if this will work.
Fish that purple backing is awesome.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8675452

housse yes you can use cotton but you want to use a cotton that will fray easy

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8675467

I wasn't suggesting polar fleece for a rag quilt, I was just using it as a comparison weight wise. I would take the 2 fabrics I wanted to use and sew together one square and clip the edges. Wash it a few times and you can judge how it would fray.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8675474

Make sure you pre-wash the flannel as a whole piece of fabric first, (if your going to use flannel and cotton together), as it will shrink more than the cotton will. Then cut it for the squares.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2011 7:23 AM

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 6, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8675487

Mine is cotton on top, green flannel in the center and purple flannel on the back.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8675489

You ladies ROCK!!! As I read through all these suggestions, I see the common sense behind each thought. I'm so glad you are all my friends...
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 6, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8675584

Thank you to all for all the wonderful help. I have never made one of these and would like to try.Maybe do a baby blanket first. Do not have any babys in the family to give it to but could always donate it.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8675706

You can always start out baby size, and work your way up to a larger one!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8675837

Hold onto the baby one Laura. There are always babies coming along and it's great to be "prepared"!!!! LOLOL

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8675970

Oh my, my just learning to sew new granddaughter (grandsons wife and pretty Noelle's mama) is dying to make one of these. I'm going to make her a cheat sheet with all the helpful hints on it to use when I'm not near by.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 6, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8676811

I have made them from Baby size 36X45. to extra king size for my 6'8" son Never have I washes any fabric first . I really like the way it drawsup after being washed . UNless you think its going to bleed and most fabricks don't anymore I wouldnt bother with washing ..

siliolegma
This ia a great first Quilt for a newbie sewer...very forgiving . If you don't get your seams perfect no one can tell when its all finished. don;t have to make close friends with the seam ripper ..Unless you sew your seams backwards ... and thats easy to do ...LOL
They are fast & easy

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8679245

fishie, your quilt is going to be so beautiful!!! And isn't it fun?! I must warn you tho. Making these is very addictive...
This is a pic of one I made for my mother. It was a kit so I didn't wash any of the fabric, which is cotton flannel. There isn't any thing between the front and back and It was just right for Mom as she didn't like anything to heavy on her feet. She loved it.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8679248

A close up.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8679387

That is beautiful! And a lot of snipping...
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8679425

what a fun quilt !!! great job . & yes they are very addictive

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 7, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8679456

Oh WOW! I ♥ it!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8679508

Terrific!!. Would you mind telling me your block dimensions?
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 8, 2011
3:08 AM

Post #8679707

I really like the different size blocks and the colors look great together.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 9, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8681978

3 more rows to go and then I can start clipping!
Apparently everyone thinks this quilt is for them =^..^=

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 9, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8682222

Trying to check the rows before I sew the last few ...lol

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8682313

Hey, what is my cat (the orange one) doing at your house????

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2011
12:55 PM

Post #8682329

Mine couldn't be bothered to jump onto anything!!!!! Unless it's Norm's chair or my spot on the sofa!!!!

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 9, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8682333

"Zoey" adopted me at Petsmart a month ago. She's 4 1/2 yrs old and loves to purr and slobber :)

Holey Cow Barb! That's a large Kitty :)
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8682418

Fish don't forget to sew around the outside of the quilt before you start cutting :)

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 9, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8682424

I DID IT! I finished all the sewing! (and around the outside edge) :)
I'm so tickled...let the clipping begin!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8682541

Fish - that's why Norm calls her FatCat!!! Her name is Callie and yes she is a big girl!!! But-the vet says as long as she is happy and healthy (which he says she is) to let her be. I have put her on a semi diet. Will see how it goes.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 9, 2011
4:03 PM

Post #8682604

She's adorable ♥

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 10, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8683933

Haven't started clipping yet and I already went to Joanne's yesterday and bought fabric for the next one :)
It will be for my son, so tried to pic masculine colors.

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8684608

Love those fabrics Fish. That's going to be nice!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8684611

Fish, you have bought your NEXT fabric already... ya, you're addicted!!! Very nice colors.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8684631

P. S. The cat and dog wanted me to tell you they are insulted that THEIR's are not the next quilts being made.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 10, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8684763

LOL, yeah psychw2...I bet they are insulted :)

Just need to find time to sit down (without a dog and a cat fighting for lap space) with my scissors and start clipping.
It's a bad sign that I already bought more fabric isn't it...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8684833

Trust me, it's a VERY bad sign. I had my drug and alcohol endorsement as an addiction counselor in Idaho... this is a VERY bad sign! *wink* But I don't see ANY of us volunteering for the cure from our fabric and quilting addiction so you are VERY safe in this group!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2011

Post #8684834

Fish, sounds about par for the course to me...planning ahead. LOl

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 10, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8684842

So I'm in good company :)

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2011
7:54 PM

Post #8685005

You were from your first day here.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 10, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8685061

Ahhhh "My people" ;)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2011
5:32 AM

Post #8685437

Your in very good company! Now please don't feel we are enabling you in anyway! You just have the bug!!! ^_^

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 11, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8685489

Oh no, we would never think of being enablers.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 14, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8693099

[quote="siliolegma"]Oh no, we would never think of being enablers.[/quote]

OH NO NEVER ...LOL
Good for you Fish!!!! They are such fun Quilts to make...
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 16, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8696119

Ok got my fabric and spring tension scissors today and will make a baby rag quilt. In my spare time of course.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8696261

Pictures housse301

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 16, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8696556

Show us the fabric!

I finally had a little time to clip mine...Holy Cow! My hand is sore and a have the spring loaded clips :(
This is going to take forever...
Unfortunately Joanne's has a 20% off coupon starting tomorrow, might have to buy more fabric :O

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8696666

Hey fishy, see what I mean?! lol

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8697300

Ya, spring-load HELPS but it doesn't make it painless or easy! LOL

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8697464

The only easy way to do it, is if you have an accuquilt cutter with the rag quilt cutting dies.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8697506

WOW, didn't even know they made such a thing!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8698123

ok Linda pictures of this thing that cuts rag quilts ...:)
is that the one you won ?

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 17, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8698244

I may get this thing clipped by September :(
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 17, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8698281

Here are my fabrics. I am doing cotton on top and the back will be flannel the dark chocolate on the right. Just 2 layers and we will see. I got the spring scissors and will try those out.

Thumbnail by housse301

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 17, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8698312

Oooooo I love the deep chocolate with little sprinkles of pink!
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 17, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8698344

We shall see how it all goes together. My first rag quilt.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 17, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8698598

LOVE your colors! Keep us posted along the way :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8698954

That will be very pretty.
Yes, I won the baby go cutter, but it did not come with any dies, and they are very pricey! I don't have the die for the rag quilt. I guess if your doing a bunch of the rag quilts, it would be worth it.

http://www.accuquilt.com/go-shop/dies/rag.html
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 18, 2011
5:11 AM

Post #8698989

WOW the dies are pricey. I think I will just stick to the spring scissors.
How are you doing Linda?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8699115

Doing pretty good! Just so dang hot! Fingers are still about t he same. Still sore and swollen, and can't bend it very well. Guess it will be this way for awhile?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8699203

Keep working it Linda. My dad ended up with a permanently straight finger because he wouldn't bend it after an injury.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8699425

Linda does that cut the SQs before you sew the quilt?
yes keep bending the fingers ..

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8702524

It cuts the squares and the edges before you sew.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8702645

im not sure I would like that ... working with fabric that is already fraying ..hmmm

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 19, 2011
7:21 PM

Post #8702723

Something that cuts the squares AND the edges! I'm with denimangle tho, this flannel frays so quick and easy :O
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 20, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8703878

Ok all blocks cut and X sewn through all. This is the layout and now will sew 1/2 seam.

Thumbnail by housse301

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 20, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8704099

Wow, that is going to look fabulous! I need to get it in gear and do some more clipping :(

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8704100

You are moving right along with that Laura. I know, you want to clips the seams while you are traveling!! Heehee. It's going to look great...
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 20, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8704270

Thank you both. But thinking it may be thin. I will finsih and see what happens.
No trips planned till school break in Sept.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 20, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8704538

housse301
thats going to look great
Barb I have clipped them in the car on long trips .. they do make a lot of dust ...

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 20, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8704575

Mine is 3 layers and I'm really surprised how heavy it is...well for Phoenix anyways :)

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8704772

Doing a two layer using a combo of two flannels and one flannel and one denim. THink you'll be surprised of the weight after they're put together and fringed.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8704966

I made a denium/cotton fabric one for my SIL that was about twin side... oh my was it heavy!
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 21, 2011
3:05 AM

Post #8705466

Ok so I messed up when sewing the blocks together. And the seamripper is my friend. I had sewn the fronts together and no the backs.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 21, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8705632

It's really hard to get used to sewing them backwards (don't ask me how I know)
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 21, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8705641

Ha Ha too funny.
All sewn and now clipping
Soooo glad did small blanket first.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 21, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8705719

You were smart to start small, me...not so smart :(

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2011
7:39 AM

Post #8705789

LOL... oh how I CAN relate Stu!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2011
8:10 AM

Post #8705844

Hey everyone! http://www.fabric.com/cool-cotton-print-sale.aspx/?cm_re=SL1-_-home-_-Cool%20Cotton is having a sale. Some as low as $2.98 per yard.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 21, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8706047

I will not look at that link, I will not look at that link...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8706079

LOL!

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8706108

Sewing face to face... been there too. But I have found that my machine does a very nice job in helping me keep the diagonal 'x' quilting straight, so I haven't had to draw the lines out first. Boy, that saves time.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 21, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8706137

Ok all sewn together and snipped on to the wash.
No worries we are on city sewer.

Thumbnail by housse301

housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 21, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8706145

And here is the final rag quilt.
Love the weight not heavy just right.
Not so sure about the colors but ok.

Thumbnail by housse301

SewSassee

SewSassee
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8706234

Just thought I would let all you rag quilters know I have a trade going on, my flannels for your cottons. Here's the thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1198146/

Hope to see you over there.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8706379

Wow, Laura, that was quick! That looks so nice!
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 21, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8706399

It is not very large for my first attempt kept small. baby quilt

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 21, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8707049

I ♥ it!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8707066

Great job Laura. And fast!!!! That came out sweet. How was it working with cotton and flannel together?

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8707366

Housse... the colors and quilt are great.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2011
10:31 PM

Post #8707759

It is gorgeous Laura!!!

time for another picture of yours fish !! we want to see some more "pretty" !!!
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 22, 2011
3:13 AM

Post #8707957

Thank you all. And I really enjoyed working on this project. Working with the cotton and flannel was not a problem. There are only 2 layers and it is the perfect weight. Not heavy. I did not prewash.
My DH loves the quilt and so will make one for him.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

July 23, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8710863

Still clipping sigh...
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 23, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8711004

really pretty housse love the colors

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8712485

Ditto housse. Hey fishy, it takes longer to clip a raggedty that it does to make it! I started to clip my first one with regular sissors... Ouch! A friend insisted I borrow her snips and what a difference that made.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8712737

Ya, I gotta get a pair of those snips. I would like to make a new rag quilt one of these days soon.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8729170

I have two rows of a 7 block across, 8 block long rag Q using 11.5" (finished) blocks. Have most of the other blocks stitched, but been going row by row as I'm needing to alternate the backing. I know I don't need to, but want the back to have the fabrics on a diagonal in groups. Didn't realize how much flannel it will use on the back and most of my stash for the backing is in 2 yrd (more or less) pieces of any one fabric. ALternating the front with large flannel blocks and four patch blocks in denim and flannel on the diagonal. This is for my SO and had found some really brilliant batik-esqu solids in rainbow colors at Joann's sometime this fall or Christmas when they had their flannels from this manufacturer for $1.75/yd. I've never seen so many people waiting for their cutting table turn before or since. There had to be twenty people at least in front of me, some with two shopping carts filled with bolts. It was neat to see what your neighbors had. Often it was 'if you're not geting all of that, can I have the bolt when you're done?' It actually was a fun and friendly feeding frenzy. Will post pictures of what I have together so far this evening as my camera needed charging.

Also unpackaged and played with my spring loaded rag Q scissor on one of the four patchs. Neat!!!!! Now I'm wanting tomake one for me for the winter too. Thank goodness Sewsasse I trading with me flannel for cottons. Geez, that's right, need to get her fabric together still...

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

August 1, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8729173

Can't wait for the pics! I'm sure I would mess up the diagonal on the back lol

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8729390

LOL "feeding frenzy" yep, that's what they remind me of!!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8730561

Every year The day after thanksgiving (Black Friday) the only place I go is Joanns last year we started a list so you didnt have to stand in line just wonder around till they called your name ... Quilters & sewers are such nice people no pushing or mad house

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

August 6, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8740285

I DID it! I DID it! I finished it!
I'm so tickled :) This is 2 washes & dry. I suppose it will "rag" even more as it gets washed more.

FLStu, where are your pictures?

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

August 6, 2011
11:18 AM

Post #8740287

Close up of seams

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2011
11:44 AM

Post #8740334

Fantastic, Excellent, Wonderful, Gorgeous, Exquisite, and any other adjective there is to tell you what a great job you have done on this. I'm so very impressed!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2011
11:48 AM

Post #8740349

WOW Fish, that turned out beautiful and makes me wish I would get with the program and start another one!

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

August 6, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8740371

Thanks! If it wasn't for the inspiration on this forum it wouldn't have happened.

I'm going to try and start cutting out the next one tonight :)

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8740401

gorgeous. terrific job.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8740430

Oh Fish, you are a GLUTTON for punishment!!! Are the spring scissors THAT great that you aren't hurting???

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2011
12:48 PM

Post #8740434

Fish, that is awesome!!!!! ^_^ What color is your next one?

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8740560

Congradulations, Fishy! That is one beautiful quilt!!! Welcome to a new addiction!! LOL

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

August 6, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8740679

LOL, the spring scissors are great but my carpal tunnel is killing me :( I figure by the time I get to the "cutting" part again my hand/wrist will be ready :)
These are the colors for the next one for my son.

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8740777

Love those colors!
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8740803

Fish thats just beautiful

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2011
3:41 AM

Post #8741335

Fish...Will try to post within the next 48hrs. Just finished putting it together last night. It came out bigger than I intended, which is OK. It covers ths top of a king size bed with a block hanging over the feet. My blocks wound up being about 11" finished and I went seven across and eight down. MySO is 6'3, so I wanted to make sure it was long enough. Probably could have gone 5 or 6 side and been fine. It's meant to be used by one person, but it'll be great to be able to use it on the guest bed should we have people over when we get cold.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2011
3:44 AM

Post #8741336

PS Fish... I LOVE your quilt. the colors are great. WOW, they work well together. I used your idea of the diagonal stripe pattern. Thinking of making some dog mats wiuth the scraps.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

August 7, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8741360

Fish that turned out just beautiful. And love the colors that you have picked for the next quilt.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8741406

The next quilt will be gorgeous. You have a wonderful eye for color and what will work with what !!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8751239

So Fish, how is the new rag quilt coming?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8751875

You stole my question Pat!!! I'm curious to see those beautiful fabrics together too!!!!

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

August 12, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8752388

Lol...uh...life keeps getting in the way of my hobbies:( the A/C went out in my rental house that my daughter lives in so she and her Jack Russell terrier (nick named The Tornado) have been staying with me. The A/C was replaced and my house is back to almost normal. So maybe I can start cutting out squares this weekend :)
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8752656

ok ladies we all need to get busy we are sewing up gold mines
http://www.etsy.com/shop/southerncharmquilts?ref=seller_info

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8752737

And to think I just give mine away!!!!! No wonder I'm broke!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8752835

Ya Barb, me too! I want to go back and take a better look at the ads and see when they were each listed and whether they are "turning over" or just sitting there unbought. You can "ask" any amount you want, the test is, how many can you SELL at what price?
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2011

Post #8752874

she has almost 600 sales ...
me too have given a ton of them away

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8752876

600 she has sold??? or 600 up for sale? either way... THAT's a lot of quilts. Makes my hands hurt just thinging about it! LOL
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8752898

sorry only 521 sales 598 feedbacks 251 items for sale not all quilts tho ...

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

August 13, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8753763

Wow, I had no idea they would sell for that? Baby quilts take so little fabric the cost to make would be minimal.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8753871

I know .. Did you see where if you send her all the fabric for a kids quilt its only $119. + Shipping . I want some of that action ...LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8753880

A bargain, ONLY $119 + shipping if you send her the fabric huh? WOW... Me too, maybe I wouldn't have to keep this 24 hour on-call work! oh well...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8754889

The same thing is on the site of the lady who makes t-shirt quilts. They are over $500. and you supply the shirts. I've always been curious too, what she does with the rest of the shirt. I give them to my guys for shop rags, but they would be perfect for those wagon wheel rugs made with a hula hoop. My DDIL has a Girl Scout troop and I told her I would save them if her girls wanted to make hula hoop sit-upons.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8754948

I make t-shirt quilts for the public and yes you have to send me your t-shirts the rest I supply $500.00 for a king is really not a bad price .
I make lots of Harley Quilts

Thumbnail by denimangle

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 14, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8755538

I agree the price is not bad for the work involved. Working with t-shirts can be tricky. This woman doesn't use backing on the shirts and she cuts different sizes and shapes.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8755998

Oh No backing is a must ...
I have made a few with the different sizes t-shirts they can be a pain ...lol mostly for people that saves their kids sports shirts from preK to college

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8756289

wagon wheel rugs made with a hula hoop???

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8756497

Ya inquiring minds what to KNOW and SEE... show us some pics!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8757637

Google ...HulaHoop Rug
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2011
11:59 AM

Post #8757820

heres a sweet and simple
HulaHoop Rug
http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/hula-hoop-rug-995304/
I just happen to have 3 hoops here and lots of scrap t-shirts .. the grands will be doing this next trip up ..:)
Thanks
siliolegma

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8758050

That's the one I saw. I sent it to my DIL for her scout troop. I thought they would make a neat sit-upon.
When I make the t-shirt quilts, there is usually quite a bit of fabric left at the bottom of the shirts. It would be perfect for cutting the rings.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8758070

Can you use cotton fabrics, or do they have to be t shirt fabric? Those are really neat looking.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8758233

I would think maybe t-shirts for the "spokes"...even old men's Ts would work, and then weave around with what ever you want.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8758362

Yes Linda you can use other fabric
WAGON WHEEL RUGS
Wagon wheel rugs are woven-in-the-round on a wooden frame (square or round). Originating in the Scandanavian countries, they were most often made from wools or heavy cotton flannels and can be quite striking, with the 'V' of the warp. Less commonly, wagon wheel rugs were also woven in oval shapes.

denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8758391

Fish I hope you don't mind This thread is getting a bit long heres a new one.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1211320/

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

August 16, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8760008

:) Not at all~~~~~~

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America