Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: What is cooking on your grill?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 72, Views: 542
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin

(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2011
9:50 AM

Post #8581917

There are a total of 188 votes:

Traditional burgers or brats.
(19 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Ribs! (what kind?)
(5 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Poultry
(11 votes, 5%)
Red dot

We love our veggies grilled. (recipes?)
(12 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Steak for us!
(26 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Seafood on the grill...yum!
(7 votes, 3%)
Red dot

We like just about everything grilled!
(81 votes, 43%)
Red dot

We do not use a grill.
(27 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 23, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8582116

Caesar chicken, pork ribs, steaks, burgers, brat, dogs - if it's meat - its on the grill this time of year.
GrayThumb
Lost in the Woods, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8582124

Parboil the brats in beer then charcoal grill them and serve with Plochman's mustard on grilled onion rolls!

Charcoal grill the leanest ground beef available with lots of black pepper and serve with a pile of burnt onions on grilled onion rolls! Add Plochman's mustard and Del Monte chili sauce if desired...

Charcoal grill baby back ribs with the homemade sauce of your choice. If you cut up the ribs before grilling, they all get lots of sauce, get great blackened crispy meat, and when done they're easier and faster to eat with less mess!

Charcoal grill homemade hot wings of your choice.

Serve all of the above with lots of olives, pickles, fresh strawberries, and fresh pineapple.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8582240

I like to grill just about everything. My problem is right now I don't have a grill. Its on the list of things I need to set up my new home here in Kentucky.
serenaski
Traverse City, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8582287

I just love beer can chickens done on the grill with one of those little smoke cans stuck down in the gas grill for a little more flavor. Right now my poor grill is in need of replacement parts, but I wish I could just replace it with a nice charcoal grill.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8582543

We have 3 grills (1 gas and 2 charcoal) and a smoker. If you can eat it, I'll try to grill it.

New potatoes, and shallots with fresh rosemary and lemon thyme...a generous chunk of butter (not margarine) fresh ground sea salt and pepper. Fold into foil packets and put on the grill for 30 minutes...yum!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
3:04 PM

Post #8582602

One year, my sister and I wound up homeless from August to Jan. It is a long story and I won't go into it, but we sure got our eyes opened. Anyway we spent Thanksgiving camped out and grilled our turkey over a wood fire. Best darn turkey I've ever had.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 23, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8582610

Usually steak or fish and chile peppers
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8583169

Love anything that can be grilled or cooked over a campfire, Ever cook a pot of ordinary beans over a campfire? A culinary(SP) delight!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8583174

Veggie burgers!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8583190

WUVIE, I would love to have a receipe for veggie burgers.
Vickie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8583206

Steaks, burgers, dogs, brats.

Whole onions in foil, with butter and parmasan cheese, potato chunks in foil with butter, onions and parmasan cheese.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8583287

just did salmon, with cajun spices, onions, tomatoes, laced with lemon.. mmmm, dh tried hamburgers with cut up minced bacon, also mmmm, love potatoes on the grill.. now I am hungry!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
10:02 PM

Post #8583461

If it's not a monsoon or a blizzard we're grilling...everything tastes better when bbqed
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

May 24, 2011
3:56 AM

Post #8583699

I agree, flowAjen. We love to bbq or "braai" as we call it. I even did our Christmas chicken and leg of lam on it, using a rotisserie. Was delicious!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8583834

Everythang's better when grilled in Texas... 8 )
At least we can grill year around here.

DH doesn't like the 'taste' of meats cooked on gas grills (huh?)
but seeing as he does the cooking I won't argue.
It just takes too long to use charcoal on a workday so we like to
cook extra meats and freeze them.
Then food is grilled, quick and tasty when we get in from work.

GrayThumb
Lost in the Woods, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8583925

I remember charcoal grilling steaks for my Dad's birthday in February... in Minnesota!!!

We charcoal grilled for 10 days because we had no electricity after an ice storm in Missouri. It was either December or January. The snow, ice, and cold air kept all the food from spoiling.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8583951

Ahhh yes, the 2009 ice storm. We were out of power 9 days here in KY. Buffalo steaks and veggies on the grill. Jan 25th through the first week of Feb.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8584049

Minnie is right but for us it is a year round cooking method. DH loves to grill and I love not having to worry with cooking everything.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8584132

I voted all, but sockeye salmon over briquettes with some alder (leaves & twigs) added for smoke can't be beat.

I agree with Podster's husband that briquettes give a more flavorful finish. But we have both, as gas grilling is more convenient and less bone-chilling in winter.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8584272

Ok, ya'll,
I just got my backyard edible landscape design, which includes a GRILL! So, please tell me the pros and cons of propane, gas, and charcoal. I picked up from some of the above posts that charcoal takes longer, and doesn't send enough heat in the winter? What about propane? What's that all about? Or, is propane/gas one and the same thing?

Also, are ya'll using high-end, polished, industrial, "won't-ever-rust-and-is-shiney-as-the-sun" grills, or simple "put-the-briquettes-in-and-close-the-lid" models?

Podster,
Sounds like you cook extra when you do grill, then package & freeze, and simply thaw and reheat on the grill when you're ready?

Thanks!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2011
9:23 AM

Post #8584294

We have 2 big Webber charcoal kettles and always cook extra. (most everything freezes great and tastes fresh-grilled when thawed) No need to reheat on the grill...just nuke it in the microwave for a minute or two.

We rarely use the gas grill (propane)...10 years old and just a black, run of the mill cooker with two levels (I don't particularly like it, but we fire it up when we have a bunch to feed.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8584316

We have a piped in natural gas Ducane grill on our deck, 1 small and 1 medium Weber for charcoal for camping, a smoker and a large charcoal(don't remember which brand) we used to have a propane.

Propane I feel is a pain because you have to keep getting new tanks. Can't beat the flavor on a charcoal grill. The gas is quick and easy for fast dinners burgers, hot dogs, etc

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2011
11:00 AM

Post #8584481

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I'm getting a picture, here. Thanks a bunch, guys!
DougBert
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8584573

Cedar planked salmon at least once a month...all year long.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2011
12:24 PM

Post #8584602

Uh, you can't go throwing that out without a recipe...♥

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8584807

Grill or smoke almost anything! Surprised no one mentioned grilling fresh veggies like squash, peppers, asparagus, etc.
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8584817

Bul goki, and eggplants for baba ghanoush, and asparagus, and the occasional trout, and huli-huli chicken! Most of them on charcoal but sometimes on the gas grill if we haven't planned far enough ahead. In the winter I cold-smoke cheese and almonds in the charcoal bbq.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8584821

Every September, I smoke a log of bologna to take to the annual Kentucky Roundup..it has become an expected treat that many have come to expect. It wouldn't be a Roundup without the smoked baloney!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8584864

Last year I invested in one of those chimney starters, and I have coals ready in 20 minutes or less. You stuff the bottom with newspaper, and fill the top with as much charcoal as you need, light the paper and whoosh, it's dynamite for starting your grill. You could probably make one out of a 3 lb. coffee can, but this has a handle!

We had gas, and I didn't like it at all. My Weber is probably thirty years old, have replaced the grill part but the rest of it is original. It has a removable aluminum ash catcher which is sadly bent out of shape but I can't find a replacement!! I won't grill outside in winter. Nope. Not me. But I will grill anything that doesn't move.
Pewjumper
Glenwood Springs, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8585085

I have a little propane grill, a nice sized ducane which is natural gas and a weber charcoal kettle. I use the little propane grill because the gas company told me my connection for the big grill wasn't code. Have to run some black gas pipe.

Sliced sweet potato/yam rounds, (use a serrated knife to cut!) slathered in olive oil, a little salt & pepper with taragon. Yum!
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8586012

Hamburgers and the like, mostly, but it sure came in handy for heating water when the storm took away our power for a week. We also cooked meals of all kinds on it. Luciee {;^)
DougBert
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8586452

Recipe from an earlier request.

Cedar Planked Salmon
By Dougbert

Ingredients
Spice Rub:
2 T granulated garlic
2 T granulated onion
1 T cayenne pepper
T white pepper
1 T black pepper
4 T salt
4 T paprika
3 T brown sugar
1 T kosher salt
1 T dark roast coffee (finely ground)

Optional Rub Ingredients:
1 T seafood seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
1 T cup ground turmeric
1 T curry powder
1 T ground cumin

1 Cedar plank soaked in water for at least 2 hours. Oddly enough wood floats, but a brick on top of the wood placed in a cooler doesn't float. (hint hint) Planks purchased from the local store are usually 6 inches by 18 inches. I make my own planks by buying UNTREATED 1'x6' by 8 foot long cedar planks at the lumber yard. Again UNTREATED!!! I cut them to the desired length when I needed.
1 wild salmon fillet (Farmed is OK but wild is best) I use a salmon that will almost cover the whole board.

Directions
Thoroughly mix all of the rub ingredients in a glass bowl and set aside. (The unused portion can be sealed in a jar for future use.)

Place the pre-soaked cedar plank on a cookie sheet or in a jelly roll pan. Season one side of the plank with 2 tablespoons of the rub. Place the salmon on the plank and cover the salmon liberally with the spice on both sides. Cover and let it rest on the counter while the grill gets screaming hot.

Heat the grill to high. I prefer the smokey flavor from charcoal but use gas if desired.

Put the salmon plank on the grill over the very hot fire and cover the grill and cook for about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove the cover from the grill to check the salmon. I really don't worry if the plank flames up but be aware that it might. Test the salmon buy pressing it with a finger. When done the thickest part of the salmon will feel firm and potentially flake. I rarely cook this for more than 15 minutes. (The salmon would have to be extremely thick to take more than 15 minutes on a very hot flame.)

Remove the salmon plank from the grill, I use two tongs, place the plank and salmon back onto that cookie sheet or jelly role pan, and loosely cover with foil. Remember that plank is still on fire. I take it into the house anyway but I live on the edge...especially if there is snow on the ground. Allow the salmon to rest for 2 to 3 minutes. After the rest period and a glass of wine, did I mention wine?...for you not the salmon. Slide the salmon onto a platter or just serve it right off the plank. It makes a beautiful center piece...just like a turkey on Thanksgiving.

Accompany with a spinach and greens salad, from your garden of course!
Serve with a nice Washington state Merlot or Cabernet.
This will make your belly go yump, yump, yump.

This is in my cookbook and will be published down the road,,,if I ever finish it.
jera29
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8586483

we make the most yummy k-bobs in the world! my kids call them 'moms famous k-bobs' lol. anything and everything goes on them, the key is the cut of meat you use, i always use fresh ribeys from my butcher, not the grocer, they use preservatives etc. my butcher kills, cuts and sells in the same store so all my meat is fresh, no additives/preservatives, but it goes bad fast too so make sure you freeze or use immediatly! anyway, we use fresh cut inch thick ribeys, cube them and marinate, cut all kinds of veggies and marinate them as well, (idk if this does any good but they taste AWESOME!) even some pineapple or other fruit, then just slide em on the stick and grill! easy, good for you, and fun to eat, whats better? i also like to grill corn on the cob for my side and then i make something like chocolate mint banana bread for desert (the chocolate mint part is fresh sprigs from my chocolate mint plant!)...if i had an overhang on my patio, i guarantee we would grill every night for dinner!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8586507

We use our grill year around, but we were too, too cold to go outside to grill during the 09 ice storm. We were w/o heat 5 days and could not get out of our house due to thick ice on a sloping driveway we had to back out of up hill. We used a Coleman gas stove one uses for camping.
We love to grill salmon on a cedar plank. I don't think it can be beat. Even those that don't like salmon, would like it prepared this way. I am leery of the farm raised salmon, however.
Let's have barbecue tonight!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2011
10:19 AM

Post #8586529

Uh, what time, so I can get my ticket?

DougBert
Thanks for the recipe! Will be trying this soon as I decide on a charcoal grill for my yard! ^^_^^

Linda
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8586782

There are people in the world that don't use a grill?!!?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8586901

Looks like 15% of them too...crazy! right??? LOL

maybe they live in an apartment
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8586976

Has anyone ever tried using alder as a plank for salmon? Just wondering as the twigs/leaves add such a nice flavor, maybe a soaked alder plank would be equally delicious. We have an unending supply of alder - I think I'll experiment with splits.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8587165

I get my cedar planks at Lowe's : so much cheaper that at my local grocer.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8587200

DougBert ~ it does sound yumpy! Are those flaming cedar planks reusable or is it a one time shot?

Hmmmm... The poll means that 16 of us aren't pyromaniacs or cavemen. LOL
DougBert
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8587416

Podster, I have reused the planks but only after slipping one salmon off and putting another one on for the same meal. One time I had a plank burn through during the second filet...not a good thing. One shot is the best way to go.
Bonehead, I have used other planks from the home center. Oak is one of my favorites but expensive. I had a freind make me a couple of apple planks out of a tree he cut down. It made some of the most flavorful pork chops that I have ever consumed.
Gymgirl, dinner is the same time every night...when it's done;)

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8587642

Whoa, glad I just spent the time reading this thread! I copied all the ideas/recipes that sounded good to me. Now we gotta get grillin'! We have a Weber propane and my hubster is the griller in the family. We love veggies and he has even done fruit--nectarines, pineapple, apple. Speaking of pyromaniacs, I have the genes! I remember my dad bbqing when we were little and the fun was when he'd pour the gas on the charcoal--STAND BACK EVERYONE!--and throw a lit match on it. BOOM! Dads can be so much fun... :) My brother was just telling me he loves the Big Green Egg he just got. We had another brand of gas grill before the Weber that was NOT good (Char-Br__l). And lastly, green onions are yummy grilled. Janet
Newbe_gardener
Rice, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 26, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8588050

I grill food. if it is food of any kind, I find a way to grill it. Here in Minnesota grilling seaon is short. But I even grill in the dead of winter with snow everywhere.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8588185

We won our gas grill from a local supermarket about seven years ago!

I love grilled food!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8588290

Janet,
I Googled the "Big Green Egg," and it looks like something that might make it to my yard, if I can find out pricing info. Where did your brother get his? There's no pricing info on the website...at least I couldn't find any...

Linda
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8588335

Primarily use a Weber gas grill, sometimes add wood chips that have been soaked. Tonight is grilled chicken quarters, marinated and eggplant, peppers, squash and vidalia onions brushed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and kosher salt. Probably grill 2-3 nights or more a week much of the year and not as often in the winter. Only give it a break in extremely cold weather. The planked salmon sounds really good, thanks for sharing the recipe.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8588605

Yep, I'll grill just about anything! We have lots of hickory, pear and persimmon trees. I've been know to have a k' niption fit if any of the dead branches get thrown into a burn pile, instead of saved for grilling :0)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8588926

I thought I was the only one who remembered k'niption fits!!!
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
3:21 PM

Post #8589114

[quote="flowAjen"]Looks like 15% of them too...crazy! right??? LOL

maybe they live in an apartment[/quote]

A life status of living in an apartment shouldn't stop anybody. Most complexes have community grills even if you don't have your own.

The only thing I can think of as a legitimate stopper of grilling is temperatures below the boiling point of propane, −44 F.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8589315

LOL ~ growing up in MN, we have actually seen that -44. Left for the balmy south shortly after that.

I wonder how pecan wood would work for "planked catfish" ? Hmmmm ~ could have a new redneck delicacy.

Anyone remember the little cast iron hibachis of the l960s and 70s? They cooked some of the best food.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8589434

Remember? I still have mine. Never letting it go. lol

GrayThumb
Lost in the Woods, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8589591

[quote="dparsons01"]

A life status of living in an apartment shouldn't stop anybody. Most complexes have community grills even if you don't have your own.

The only thing I can think of as a legitimate stopper of grilling is temperatures below the boiling point of propane, −44 F.
[/quote]

Charcoal is not dependent upon a boiling point to work. If it is too cold to use charcoal starter, a pinecone loaded with wax works well to get the charcoal going. If it is too cold for a lighter, there are always good old fashioned matches...

This message was edited May 26, 2011 7:54 PM
steinbeck
Dallas, TX

May 26, 2011
8:00 PM

Post #8589754

We have a cheap propane grill which has almost flat worn out after 4 years, should have gotten stainless steel, have a big charcoal grill and an old round, vertical smoker my neighbor was putting out to the garbage because it had a little rust. At least once a week I grill anything and everything!
The charcoal chimney starter is wonderful for starting the charcoal and never, never use starter fluid or the fluid infused briquets, they give off a terrible odor and it effects the food.
I do worry about the smoke the charcoal makes all over the neighborhood so I use the propane grill a lot.
The smoker makes the most wonderful smoked chicken or tukey, it's a lot of work but worth it.
It's best to always marinate the meat for sure and there are so many ways to do it.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8590359

I'm asking my brother about the Big Green Egg. I'll post when I find out!
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8590570

Here's their web site, you can type in your zip code to find a local dealer:

http://www.biggreenegg.com

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 27, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8591349

When I still ate meat (before I changed to a heart-healthy regimen), I used to marinate lean ground lamb patties and grill them. Toward the end, I put a dollop of goat milk cheese on each pattie. I served them with strawberries and fresh mint on the side...and veggie of choice for that day. I really stick with my healthful regimen, but I give myself a treat now and then so I don't feel deprived. An occasional splurge of sinfully good eating isn't fatal! My next treat is going to be these lamb patties!

Melody, I'm going to do your new potatoes on the grill. They sound wonderful!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8591857

Oh my! Such wonderful ideas. I'm an old country woman. My pride and joy is starting campfires in all kinds of conditions with matches and what ever is at hand. Also make my own charcoal. My usual is hickory which i've not heard mentioned. A little green hickory is best.I love coffee made over coals and bacon and eggs, soup,beans.
My b-b-q is super old fashioned. LOL
Vickie
herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

May 28, 2011
3:43 AM

Post #8592223

We live in the northern Catskills of NY state and my DH grills year round (untreated charcoal using a chimney starter). He will shovel a path through the snow to get to the grill/smoker. One of our favorite desserts is fresh peach halves on the grill. Slice the peach in half, take out the stone, add a little bit of butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Mmmmmmm...
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8592271

Love reading everyones grilling ideas!

We use a (cheap $39) charcoal grill all year round. I don't know why more people around here don't...weather is quite do-able and we think grilling adds a bright and fun aspect to dreary winter evenings. Must have a nice hot toddy or glass of wine along with it, though!

Some favorites:

Riblet lamb chops w/rosemary, sea salt and cracked pepper. (New Year's eve)
Bone in pork chops grilled with some apple wood chips w/dijon and honey (yum)
Salmon brined with a soy honey pepper dill herb solution and slow smoked (Christmas treat)

We too grill all kinds of veggies along with our meats. Lately we bought a large bag of Vidalia onions from Costco and then sliced and slow grilled them 'til soft and yummy and flavored them with sea salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar thyme and other herbs. We keep them refrigerated in tupperware with a little olive oil to preserve. Use them as we need them for omelettes, pizza toppings, bruchetta, salads, sandwiches, etc.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8592464

We grill as often and as much as we can year round too...meat & veggies!! Nothing flavors food like good ole charcoal...using a gas grill is not really grilling in our book!
Katlian
Carson City, NV
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8593097

Last night we made pita breads stuffed with pesto and cheese and cooked them on the grill. Then we cut them in half and tucked falafel and baby lettuce in with the hot pesto and cheese. It made a tasty and filling non-meat dinner from the grill. Even though we love hamburgers too we try to cut back on the meat now and then for health reasons.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 29, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8594520

A favorite here is Chipotle chicken with mango. Chicken marinated in a little Italian dressing and chipotle with minced garlic and thick slices of mango brushed lightly with Italian dressing. we also add slices of Vidalia Onion when available. We do Tuna steaks the same way and when we can find it fresh, swordfish. Add a few grilled peppers, banana and green chilies, for a nice boost.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8594611

Ribs with a raspberry sweet and sour sauce we found at a local market today!
McCool
Millbury, MA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8595101

I had to vote "we do not grill" as there wasn't a "we grill only once in a great while". I have a couple of the old-fashioned cast iron hibachis that somebody mentioned earlier (found them at the Vermont Country Store -- couldn't stand all those cheap, last for one season, sheet metal things you find these days)

Even though I'd like to avoid heating up my kitchen on those oppressive summer nights, we get home from work so late that it just isn't worth it to try to get the charcoal going and cook stuff outside. I end up having to set things up on our back stoop so I can get some light and I'm battling mosquitoes the whole time I'm out there cooking.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8595168

I just saw those Hibachis in the VCS catalogue. Cool to see they are still around.

We don't grill every evening here but on the weekend will cook a large amount of meats. I freeze them and then we can enjoy a quick but tasty meal in the evening after work without the heat or mess in the kitchen.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8595234

On the grill tonight: marinated pork chops, corn on the cob, and new potatoes with onions, in a foil packet. I've decided that grilling is my absolute favorite way to prepare asparagus, too!
msouleusa
Plum Branch, SC

May 30, 2011
5:11 AM

Post #8596171

Scampi from the grill with lots of butter and garlic. Our most favorite is shish-kebob, this can be a catch all that you can use to clean out meat products from your freezer . We use nearly everything that is meat and coming up with different combinations is always fun. The only thing I have never cooked on the grill is liver, what a revolting thought.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8596286

LOL on liver and beans don't grill well... they keep falling thru the grates! 8 0
DougBert
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2011
9:02 AM

Post #8596723

Grilled last night:
Ribeye with mushrooms and onions
Asparagus
Sweet potatoes

Not grilled:
Garden salad
Gordon Brothers 2007 Merlot
Fresh rhubarb coffee cake

Thumbnail by DougBert
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8596893

When we grill we do a whole bunch of things at one time so we just have warm it up and fix sides. Yesterday he cooked, ribs, hot dogs(regular & foot longs!), skirt steak & t-bones. So we are good for 3 for days now of little cooking!
jera29
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8616088

my local ACE hardware store sells the big green egg. the price is too high for me so i dont remember what it was lol. but the bbqu guy on my local public tv station swears by them.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8616303

Well, my brother says he thinks it was around $600! Not the huge one, either. He got his at a place in Lafayette, LA.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America