Photo by Melody

Poppies: Are there different varieties of Calif. poppies?

Communities > Forums > Poppies
bookmark
Forum: PoppiesReplies: 2, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8581946

An elderly neighbor just walked over with her walker to see what we were doing and to see our flowers up close. Saturday, the orange poppy had one bloom open and that plant has about 5 more blooms to pop out. I have about 4 more poppy plants with buds ready to pop open. There is a mystery plant in front of the orange poppy that almost looks like lambs ear because of the silver/green foliage that looks similar to the fuzzy foliage of lambs ear. I have never planted LE but know that it pops up every once in a while, maybe from previous owner's planting or a bird dropped the seeds. I asked her if she knew what my mystery plant is and she is pretty knowledgable and she says it is a Calif. poppy. I showed her my calif. poppy(Mission bells variety)and she doesn't recognize it as calif. poppy. It has not bloomed yet, but my internet findings are that of the Mission variety. golden/orange or deep yellow. Now I'm curious..this lady lived in Calif. for 40 yrs. and she probably knows what she is talking about. Maybe the mystery plant is the oriental red poppy? I know I had red poppies last year..will be interesting to see all that shows up! My blue flax bloomed today, only a few blue blooms and they were blooming when we left for Home Depot as I was surprized. Get back home an hour later and one plant's blooms are on the ground..could a bird have picked it. There is a faint breeze but I don't think it would be strong enough to blow the blooms off, what's your opinion?
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8581992

I just looked up Red oriental poppies on the internet and it jogged my memory. The variety of red oriental poppy that I planted last year was "Brilliant" and it does have a grey/green foliage. In the last hour, another orange poppy bloom has opened in the other flowerbed (by living room window). I have some Patty's plum poppies planted and at least one Princess Victoria Louise variety. This should make a beautiful display. Shame they won't all bloom at once.
bookreader451
Troy, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8591442

If you like the reds get Beauty of Livermore. Mine just opened (planted last year) and it is so gorgeous.

I have Brilliant too but it hasn't bloomed yet.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Poppies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Poppy reference sources (and pictures too) balvenie 29 Oct 7, 2009 11:38 PM
Oriental poppies - seed or root stock? ghia_girl 15 Jun 22, 2010 12:12 AM
Starting to grow mrpoppy 3 Mar 6, 2007 12:46 AM
Meconopsis from seed picante 42 Oct 12, 2008 7:15 PM
7b-ers who are going to sow soon sublimaze1 7 Mar 9, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America