AuthorContent

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8582020

Hi everyone. I've decided to make some adjustments to the stream we added last year. I never was super happy with it and could not get the last spill stone/rocks the way I wanted.

I've been looking around the web for some info and ideas. Not coming up with a whole lot for something small like I have, but still very natural.

Does anyone know, if I have just a 14" spillway, how wide can I go on the stream? I have a 1900 gph pump and probably a 500 gallon pond. I don't have such a huge lift either, as you can see in the photo. I'm fine with how the water comes out of the box, but need to adjust how it spills into the pond, so thought i might as well make some changes "along the way."

Who has some pictures to share?

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8584234

Hi Mrs. Ed. I happened to find your post. Hah, so you're not happy with your stream? The one that I wanted so much? LOL Looking at your pond, I can see our taste is so similiar. From the boulders to the driftwoods to the crane 'wading' by the pond. I just LOVE it!

Our stream is much steeper than yours, for that reason I think birds don't bathe there as they do yours. Which is a draw-back that I like to learn to modify our stream. So I hope we can exchange information here and learn from one another. Hope others will chime in too.

I've an errand to run. But, I'll try to get DH to come in and shares some pointer this week as he's on homecation beginning tomorrow. So hang in there. Will post some pix to share later.
Kim

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8584275

hahah. HOMEcation. Love it.

Kim! Of course i'm not surprised we have the same taste…since we have the same arbor too. Not to mention how much I want to live at your house, LOL. The stream is still serving its purpose wonderfully (birds visiting and pond filtration), but some adjustments need made. I bought three new spill stones yesterday. I'm both anxious to start and dreading it. LOL. Starting the project on Friday/Saturday. Hope to empty the pond on Thursday.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8586295

Marna, as so far your design, and location chosen for the stream and pond is ideal! In contrast ours is in too much shade. When we 1st built the pond. Sun/shade wasn't a factor. I've since learned that shade works against us since I couldn't grow many sun loving plants as I wished. Here is a pix to share. The stream, which was built around the natural curvature of the land...it drops down to a 7 stair steps into the 2000 gallons (approximate) pond below.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8586306

Hah, an experienced gardener can look at the plants I have, he/she can tell that where fern grows...that's much too shady. ... To our left where the big flat rock/stone that's where we hide the 3000 gals/hr. capacity pump. That's too powerful a flow in which I afraid birds just don't care to get swept under the current. :(( That was one of many drawbacks that I've learned. And learn as I go ...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8586346

The steep drop of the stream ...

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8586360

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2011
8:58 AM

Post #8586365

There are total four 'water falls' within the stream meadering down the stream into the pond below.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8586368

I gotta run, bbl...

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8586371

Lovely. The good thing about that shade is it will help control algae. I bet you could also redirect a small amount of water for the birds.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8588554

Hi Mrs. Ed. "Redirect a small amount of water..." how do you mean? Please explain.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
10:45 AM

Post #8588576

The pond with the bridge across the walkway from the back of the garden to the back deck. The design is functional, but more and more I'm wishing we've more sun back here...

In regard to algea problem. Mrs. Ed. Doesn't UV light system help in full sun condition?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8589609

I suppose if one wants to do the UV thing, one can. We've chosen not to. We actually aren't having too bad of a time. We add peroxide once a week, and the natural filtration does the rest.

And about redirecting a small amount of water, I think you can pick a suitable spot and "split" the stream. You'd want to only divert a small amount of water though and then have it dump back into the main stream. Might be difficult given the height of your rock sides.
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8589807

First, you have a very nice pond and stream. I can relate to your desire to keep working on it until it's exactly how you want it. I think I change mine a little every year!

As for your question, are you just hoping to make the stream wider or do you have another objective? I think it really depends on what you like. Do you want water to fill the entire width of the stream or would you be fine with some dry spots? When I built my stream, I knew I wanted to see the water, not just wet rocks. My stream is about 3 feet wide in most places, but I placed larger rocks right in the streambed, along the edges. I think this gives it the appearance of having a respectable width, while it also narrows the channel for the water to flow through, creating more water depth.

Another thought might be to consider trying to make it less straight. It's harder to do with a shorter stream, but you could still give it a couple little twists and turns as it cascades down. Again, just thoughts.

Here's my stream from 2 years ago. It's changed a little since, but I didn't take any new pictures last year.

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8589812

Closer shot

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2011
4:58 AM

Post #8590223

SoJ, now that's a dream! It look so inviting. I just love the bigger boulders rocks. Have you a variety of wildlife come to visit your stream? Mrs. Ed. it's more challenging for us since the contour of the stream is quite steep.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2011
5:14 AM

Post #8590247

Yes, that is gorgeous and natural, and exactly the kind I would want.

When I designed this originally, It was to take a turn. I can't remember the exact reasons why I wound up making it straight, but I suspect that DH had something to do with it. LOL. I am hoping to make somewhat of a twist, but really, I'm not sure what I can do now that it's installed. I don't want to tear out the top waterfall box and rock work.

Back to your question about my ultimate goal. It is really to get the final drop into the pond fixed. So I guess anything after that is great. I DO love the idea of rocks in the middle to break up the stream. If I have room, I'll attempt that. I also love having the flat rocks there because the birds love to bathe there.
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8590524

quote="Mrs_Ed"]
When I designed this originally, It was to take a turn. I can't remember the exact reasons why I wound up making it straight, but I suspect that DH had something to do with it. LOL. [/quote]

Too funny - I can definitely relate!!

As for wildlife, I have lots of birds and frogs that visit. That's about it, but I don't think I'd want anything more wild than that, LOL!

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8590583

Good gravy, that's beautiful. Looks like it's just a scene in the middle of the woods.

Oh yah, I think DH wanted just to make a water fall, no stream. this may have been a compromise. He kept instructing me to carve out the stream into the soil or something. I think I just blocked it all from my memory. ha!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8591561

I can relate to what the men prefer to do. They just don't understand we'd like to modify the stream for our beloved birds. lol SoJ, birds and tadpoles are about all I wanted in my water garden too. Every so often I'll have Hawks and Great Blue Herons to come and check out the fish. But that's rare.

Mrs. Ed. Here is a couple pics. I took at the nursery today to get us inspired;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8591565

This is in my wishing star. To be able to grow waterlily in the pond where it requires lot of sunshine.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

May 29, 2011
6:18 AM

Post #8594273

Here's a couple Variations on my stream. I had it with a "beach" for a while, the birds loved it! There would be 4 -5 at a time taking baths and flinging water :) Unfortunately my pup liked it too and kept messing up the liner underneath and the water would start to wick underneath and I was losing a lot of water,

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

May 29, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8594276

So I had to raise the side, which made the water a little deeper and the birds didn't have as much fun :(

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8594439

Oh man, that's gorgeous.

I've been working on it this weekend, but storms are here now. boo.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8613040

It's done… mostly.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8614000

Marna, you've added/modified some planting. Were you able to reduce the leakage and modify the water flow?

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8614066

Kim it still has a slow leak, but I can't find it. It does not seem to be… well, ANYWHERE. It is more rapid of a loss than the usual evaporation. I widened the stream and put a slight curve to it. I just couldn't physically put much more energy into it (doing it myself) to make a larger turn. And finally was able to put in the last spillstone, which in my opinion makes a huge difference.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

June 6, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8614113

It looks great!
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2011
3:14 AM

Post #8614665

Great job! I like the modification you made to the last spillway.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2011 5:14 AM

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2011
6:08 AM

Post #8614958

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. finally!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America