Photo by Melody

Propagation: Honeysuckle Cutting - Rooting!

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 6, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SkeptikSharon
Ontario, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8582308

Hi All,

Just wanted to share, because I'm excited and I'm a newbie gardener so I get excited over very little things.

As an experiment, I had taken a couple cuttings of honeysuckle (new growth) and stuck them in a cup of water. No rooting hormone. No nothing. I did have to put them into distilled water after rinsing in a 10% bleach solution to get rid of the funk, but that was it. That was about 12 days ago.

And today, I look, and I have a little root starting to come out! I am so excited! I really expected nothing to come of the various cuttings I took, but this one is looking promising!

I also have a cutting of confederate jasmine that is also looking promising. I think it has sent out little teeny tiny roots out of a partial small leaf that was cut halfway through, as an almost identical cutting has shriveled and died, but this one is still green.

Okay, you can laugh at me now. I'm having fun. It's like going back to school and doing science experiments. =)

Thumbnail by SkeptikSharon
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8582775

Well, CONGRATULATIONS! It is always exciting to work with plants - you never know what will pan out!!!
SkeptikSharon
Ontario, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8582810

Thank you! I just thought it would be interesting to try. I remember my mom rooting some of her houseplants in water when I was a kid and that was always really neat to me. =)
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8583060

Keep doing whatever works for you and keep us posted on each of your efforts, good or bad - we love hearing about them!
SkeptikSharon
Ontario, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8584179

I already ditched a couple other efforts in water rooting. I have a damaged grapevine I was trying to root a new growth off of (no old growth to cut from), but I don't think they like water rooting. I have confederate jasmine that may or may not make it, wisteria and night blooming jasmine that is debating on sticking around, and some unknown vine I'm trying. I'm sure I'll be posting again if I see any new roots coming out. I just think it's fun and fascinating.

I'm also about to try myself on seeds, see if I can get them to germinate and whatnot. Should be interesting, to say the least. =)
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2011
11:23 AM

Post #8584522

If you will post your unknown vine on the plant i.d. forum, here on DG, I'd bet someone can idenitfy it for you.
SkeptikSharon
Ontario, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8584669

I did. I think it's a Virginia Creeper or False Virginia Creeper, but I haven't seen it full grown (it had been cut all the way back to the ground prior to our buying the house, and I did not see it at all last year). It's still only little baby vines starting to wind their way up the fence. Once it gets more full-grown, I'll be able to take a better picture and identify it by it's grown up leaves. =)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 281 Jun 13, 2011 9:12 AM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America