Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tropical Zone Gardening: Re: African Tulip Tree

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 9, Views: 157
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Nereku
Birkirkara
Malta

May 23, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8582370

I am impressed by this tree and huge flowers. Does any one have seeds.

Thumbnail by Nereku
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

May 24, 2011
12:08 AM

Post #8583580

It's considered a weed in some places, so might be an idea to check it out before planting one.
extranjera
Mérida, Yucatán
Mexico
(Zone 11)

May 24, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8584419

Here, they have dropped all of their leaves now and are covered with boat looking seed pods. So, if you are in a similar latitude, this would be the time to look for seeds. You can also just cut a branch and put it in dirt and they will grow, much like plumeria. I have my eye on a tree nearby with a very light shade of orange blooms, I like those better than the dark orange. I may put a branch in a pot on my roof. They are considered a "messy" tree as well, don't put them near a pool.
balaitalisai
Pasig City
Philippines

May 25, 2011
3:18 AM

Post #8585829

I also happen to like this tree. I planted one a year back and it has grown well. But the strong afternoon wind in my property broke down one of its bigger branches...and this is how it looks now. I understand that African Tulip trees have weak branches and should not be planted near houses or where they can destroy properties when branches break off.

My tree hasn't produced seeds but I do look forward to it...coz I do want to have several of these beautiful flowering trees in my property.

Thanks,extranjera, for the info that they can be propagated like plumerias...by cuttings or branches..I need not wait for the seeds to come then. :)

Thumbnail by balaitalisai
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8588372

Aloha Nereku, and welcome!

We have African Tulip trees here, but I haven't noticed them flowering yet this year - I will check it out. The seeds come down like snow, and I can sure collect some for you when I notice them. Every seed germinates and I am forever having to dig out baby trees in the garden that have blown in from my neighborhood. Even though they are very pretty they sure are a nuisance tree for me - right up the with the guava and kiave trees! I nteresting to hear that they will root just like the plummies - it somehow doesn't surprise me as they have a strong will to live and propagate!

Will check it out for you...
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8599080

Aloha Nereku,

Found some seeds from the tree at work. Are there any restrictions in mailing to Malta? If not, please D-Mail me your address and I will send them to you.

Jenn
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 31, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8599877

Hi Jenn,

Me too, please.

kb
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8604657

Aloha Katie,

Should I send them to California for you to pick up? I don't think I still have the address...

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 3, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8605661

Aloha!

I have seen tulip trees in the Azzores, Gibraltar and Hawai'i. There is one impressive tree. I wish I had the space to plant one of those here, but our home owner's association forbids the planting of any tree for safety reasons in case of hurricanes. But, they are a sight for sore eyes.

Take care.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
Nereku
Birkirkara
Malta

February 13, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9005490

Hello friends, what ever this tree is, I am sure not to cut any branches, it's in a public garden and too high for the local gradener to climbe up there. This tree looses all leaves, and later the flowers will bloom first, followed by leavers shoots.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America