I have some sort of light brown mushroom/ toadstools growing in the top of my strawberry pot. The strawberries were planted last year, have been outside all winter and seemed to be growing fine until last week I noticed a mushroom, pulled it out but it really just broke off. Now there are several of them, filling the top of the pot and the strawberries in that space have gone from green to brown (I have others growing out of other holes that are still very green).
I have another homemade-strawberry-bag-planter in a different location and these were also planted last year and are doing well with no signs of any mushrooms.
Can anyone tell me what I should do about these? Are they dangerous or will I still be able to eat the berries that come from the plants later? What can I use to safely get rid of them? And how do I get them out - didn't want to just break them off again in case there is a better way to do it.
Any idea why this happened - is it just like getting weeds in a pot or is there anything I could have done to prevent it?