What I saw today... Part 10

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

We continue this from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1138956/.

This Kingfisher makes a noise in the locality. I was not familiar with its call until recently when I actually watched it shouting near our window!! Now I can identify its call from a neighbouring tree. It tries to steal fish from my pond.. it has actually done so before, but evaded being photographed. This time, my younger DD was able to shoot it up from amazingly close range when we were not at home. Here, it has found not a fish, but a juvenile skink - they are found near the tree there.

Let's continue to see what you all see too!

Dinu

This message was edited May 24, 2011 12:13 PM

Thumbnail by Dinu
(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Dinu. I appreciate the help. Such a pretty bird. Do you have something covering your pond?

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I do, kwanjin. See photo taken on April 1st this year, and note turtle's head. Forgive me if I posted that one already. I'm planning on taking the netting off the pond this weekend, since the gold fish and turtle have enough leaves to hide under now. Too late in the year for egrets here now. But ya never know. LOL! : - )
Dinu, your DD is following in your footsteps. You must be very proud of her. That is a great photo. : - )
BBS, I hope. I got some catching up to do. : - )
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
(Zone 7a)

Such great pics, everyone! It's been so wet here lately, it's hard to get anything but garden pics.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Geranium.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

No, I do not protect the pond surface from flying invaders. It rained steadily for a long time this morning... since I was off work today, I enjoyed getting drenched and walking around the yarden with a little umbrella (to protect the camera) and took a few shots. Here is a sweet scented rose with some 'fresh pearls' attached to its petals.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Rain drops falling down on a shallow puddle in our front yard almost at the same time... see those Os.

Thumbnail by Dinu
(Zone 7a)

Wonderful!!! ^_^

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Mother Earth.

Thumbnail by Dinu
(Zone 7a)

I love patterns.

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

Dinu, I hope you are going to add that lovely kingfisher photo to BirdFiles. We have a page for it here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/go/1020/
with an earlier picture of yours as the only illustration,

Ken

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Some spider I found today. Guess where this shot was taken?

Yes, Ken, I'll add that picture of the Kingfisher right away! Thanks.

Dinu

Thumbnail by Dinu
(Zone 7a)

It looks like an ear. LOL

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

No it is not the ear. Guess on as we move along. This is its nest I located on the underside of the leaf.

Thumbnail by Dinu
(Zone 7a)

Love those spider friends.

Second guess...India?

This message was edited May 29, 2011 1:51 PM

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Not country, kwanjin... I will be precise now... part of anatomy.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Found out that this was also called an Elephant Flower in one part of the country. A colleague told me that. So I brought this from the campus tree and showed her. She opened a bud and showed why they were calling that.

Thumbnail by Dinu
(Zone 7a)

LOL Between your toes?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

No, somewhere up.

A checkered swallowtail had a photo-session with me yesterday morning.

Thumbnail by Dinu
(Zone 7a)

Oooooooh, how pretty! I saw a Monarch today but didn't have my camera.

Hmmm...hlep me, folks. I can't quess where the photo was taken. Nose? Armpit? LOL

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

My guess is fingers :) Which you will NEVER see me doing.. not a real fan of spiders lol

Here's a pic taken at the cabin we rented in VA this past weekend..two of my grandkids went with me to a Round Up..met some of the greatest folks from DG :)

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Not fingers.... you are almost there!

Nice sunset view. How nice of you to have met other DG-folks. So far I have met only one... he visited my home here all the way from USA.

A lily is blooming now-- after two years.

Thumbnail by Dinu
(Zone 7a)

It's great meeting DG members. They're the greatest.

Wrist?

Western Tanager from a couple of days ago.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Advertising can be fun!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

How can 'hair cuts be sold'!? It's a job! JFYI, my barber takes 25 rupees, which is roughly half US$. Of course, it is an ordinary saloon, but more expensive 'parlours' have emerged (to fleece!) innocent people here! Yet, they don't sell hair cuts! Interesting terminologies used there, anyway.

This is my DD's picture I share here.

Wrist? Again, you are very near to the answer but just not right. Try again.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Evansdale, IA(Zone 4b)

My Grandmother's peonies.................. she has been gone since the early 70s but these came from her garden.

Thumbnail by Edaleputt
(Zone 7a)

Oh, how beautiful!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

These peonies bloom in large numbers and I saw them for the first time in Switzerland, their real beauty. Here is one from there, taken 2 years ago.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Quote from Dinu :
Mother Earth.

That soil looks just like our native soil...................... WoW!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

pollen on some of my Day lily :)

Thumbnail by Lilyofthenight
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Beautiful, LoN. Mother Earth. Earth is worshiped. It's sacred. "Our native soil"! Wow too!

(Zone 7a)

Went on a short hike yesterday and found this.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

We stopped at a local pond and fed the seagulls.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

There is a woody area near the pond.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Just a short while ago, this fellow visited.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Nice, kwanjin. Nice woody shot despite the setting being dark.

(Zone 7a)

Thank you. That was on purpose.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2011 11:41 AM

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Great pics everyone! I saw these tomatoes in my garden today.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

Woohoo! I think I made myself see a tenny tiny tomato on my one and only plant. LOL

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Dinu,
Either the bug was on the folds of skin on the elbow or on someones lips. I think it was the elbow, myself.
Lovely photos everyone. I'm so sorry I've had other concerns and haven't been able to post as often as I'd like so I guess we get to play a bit of "catch up".
Oh Dinu, when I was taking Geology classes we always called them (Mother Earth) mud crackies by wacky! We don't generally see that color in our area, but we still get them sometimes.
here's one I cropped, of a Mama Quail. DH has seen her babies in the tall mustard plants we are letting grow because the bees are still working them. I guess the mustard gives good cover. Although this one was seen up on this rock on the hillside.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images