Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Hydrangeas: how much phosphate do I use on my hydrangeas?

Communities > Forums > Hydrangeas
bookmark
Forum: HydrangeasReplies: 2, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GKayfes
Rosemount, MN
(Zone 4b)

May 24, 2011
4:24 AM

Post #8583733

I have super phosphate 0-18-0 for my hydrangeas.
Three questions: How much can I can I apply?
If I apply too much can I burn the roots?
Can I put this on other flowering perennials (ie: daylilies, coneflowers, etc)?
Thanks for any info, Gail
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2011
3:21 AM

Post #8585830

Unless your soil is defficient in minerals like phosphate, I would not apply more. Hydrangeas are not heavy "eaters" of fertilizers and amendments like other plants are. An amount as specified in the product label would be safe assuming your soil needs phosphate. Too much of it can eventually decrease mycorrhizal activity. Phosphorus helps roots and blooms develop. It "sinks slowly" in the soil so sometimes, it is recommended that it be applied at the bottom of the planting hole. Some nurseries sell soil kits that give you an approximate indication of how much of the main minerals are found in your soil. A full fledged soil test also gives you this information but is more accurate and should be done once every now and then (say every 5-7 years?)
GKayfes
Rosemount, MN
(Zone 4b)

May 25, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8585906

The package mentions several tablespoons when planting bulbs and 4 LBs when planting a trench row of plants. Sprinkle 6 inches away from plants. That was about it. mysterious. Thanks a lot for replying. Gail

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America