Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: A Question I Afraid to Ask; What's with my Gold Fish?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 55, Views: 609
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8584205

Early in the season, back in Feb. I first noticed my goldfish looking like it's carrying eggs? ... But It's the 3rd week of May. It still look pregnant. Is there something wrong going on with my golf fish? Comes to show I know very little about my beloved pets in the pond.

In the pic. one can see the 'normal' looking goldfish to the left, then the shubunkin to the right. It's the fat-belly looking goldfish in the middle.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

May 24, 2011
9:13 AM

Post #8584261

Hmmm, egg impaction? Thats pretty round, hopefully someone will come along with answers.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8584580

Is it the picture or is this fish protruding more to one side than the other? It could be a tumor and there isn't a lot you can do if it is. I have seen tumor's in koi not goldfish and they are not symetrical (spelling), well at tlleast not the koi I saw.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2011
5:38 PM

Post #8585168

Kim

When do your goldfish typically start to spawn? I know when I had goldfish, they started spawning in April and kept on going right on through to October ( I felt badly for those poor little female goldies :-)). The fish does not seem to be symetrical - is she? I have not heard about gold fish with tumors either, however, I too am dealing with the same issue only mine are koi and I do think my fish has a tumor - my fish is far too boxy in the backend...

I would just keep an eye on her - at this point in time, there isn't really anything you can do. If she is egg bound, perhaps she will spawn - if she is not egg bound, then you may very well lose her...:(
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8585189

Wow...keep us informed as to it's progress. It doesn't look like normal egg carrying...nor does it look like dropsey (which can cause a fish to get very round, but this one isn't showing signs of scales popping out like a pinecone...) You CAN manually strip her of her eggs if you think she's eggbound...but be careful and gentle...and of course, if it's a "him" he won't appreciate it at all... ;)
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8586024

Merry Mary- "if it's a him he won't appreciate it at all" that made me laugh.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8586027

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your comments. Here is another pix I took at the same time I did previous pix to try to answer your question "Is the fish asymetrical" I think it's symetrical. It's evenly rounded (in) another word. MerryMary, I've read about dropsey before on fish that were being kept in aquarium in which it (fish) will eventually belly up due to the excessively air accummulated in the abdomen. Is that the same condition you've mentioned here? I'll take more photos of the goldfish in question, and will monitor her/his progress. Carolyn, I've no idea when mine spawn. I only noticed the little babies fish (at first appeared black -- then turn gold as they get bigger) from time to time.

Like I've mentioned, I'll monitor but will not intervene at this point. Once again, thanks everyone.
Kim

p.s. Fish_knee, I chuckled when I read your remark. But apparently it's a real condition in fish? Thank you for lighten up the situation. I appreciate everyone's comment.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

May 25, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8586401

Poor thing...she definitely needs some relief. I had a Koi with a tumor once they are ugly and abnormally shaped. He lived for a year before it started to rupture and I had to help him "cross over" :(
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8586519

Fish_knees wrote: He lived for a year before it started to rupture and I had to help him "cross over" :(

You had to help him cross over? I have that going on now and it has been about a year. How did you know when it was starting to rupture?

The thing that is odd, is that he/she (I cannot tell) came out of the winter, big and boxy and then that went down from one day to the next. Now, he/she is bigger and boxier than before. Makes me wonder if it's a cyst and not a tumor... anyway - he doesn't seem to be in any distress yet.

Measured him last year too when we were checking his abdomen - he was 21 1/2" then... :(

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8587109

The tumor ruptures????? It was my understanding that the tumor will crowd out the other organs and cause them to fail. Was I wrong in thinking that?

Lily: That poor fish is big-and she looks like she is ready to spawn . . . a lot. I hope she has some nice male suitors . . . lol! BTW: Nice spider in picture

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8587184

mm, I hope that's the case ... that she's ready to spawn. I know there has got to be male Goldfish in the pond for we've had a number of babies before. I'll keep you all posted.
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

May 25, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8587257

What do the eggs look like? Are they visible? Could you post pictures of them if possible?JOY
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8587316

Did you know "in nature" fish can change their sex? If you had a pond of all females some would change to male. That is one weird fact isn't it?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8587326

MM, that's scientifically proven. Nature is margical indeed. Fish spawning, that subject raises another question. We've a filtration pump will the force from the suction/pumping action suck the eggs into the pump system?
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2011
12:04 AM

Post #8587777

Lily: yes some of them. They are sticky and meant to stick onto plants. Some stick some fall off or never make it onto plants. Some are eaten by the fish.

Personally I have never had the pleasure of spawning fish only toads and frogs. I seem to have a lot more toads in my yard this spring than I can remember in the past. I seem to be stepping on them a lot or they are springing up into my face as I garden. I don't know who is more surprised-me or the toads.

I was under the assumption your goldies spawned before-am I incorrect?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8588531

Yes, mm. They've but I don't know the exact time of the year when they do. What's the time frame of their "pregnancy" (for lack of better words). This fish has been like this since Feb. or there about that is why I'm becoming worried something may be wrong.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8588903

Kim

Goldfish were always monthly when I had them. Mine started in April, but because of your zone, I would think your spawnings would start earlier than mine. I do know that MerryMary has mentioned previously, if her fish start to swell with eggs and then it gets warm very quickly, that she does not get a spawning. Mary also Koi - don't know about goldfish.

I am thinking that perhaps it is not eggs with your fish, but one cannot be sure either. Does she seem to be in any distress?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8588950

Thank you Carolyn, for sharing that info. No, not at all that I can take note. It seems to eat and swim about like the rest of the others in the pond.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

May 27, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8590748

My goldfish have been spawning for several months now. I have a bunch so they are probably taking turns and not everyone is having fun all the time. :-)
My koi have been cooperative and are cleaning up all the eggs as soon as they lay them.
Now I am just waiting for my koi to get busy. I three females and two males and the girls are definitly full of eggs. I am wondering if some candle light and soft music in the evening might help the process along. To help get them in the mood!! lolAfter the koi spawn they just turn around a gobble up all the eggs. Good population control.
BYW, if a tumor gets big enough it will push through the skin and cause a terrible open wound. Nasty stuff.
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

May 27, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8591292

I really want to see what the eggs look like!!!Pictures Please please please JOY
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2011
6:18 PM

Post #8591635

Joy -

Koi eggs - http://www.chilternkoi.baxx.net/spawning.htm

Goldfish eggs - http://thegab.org/Goldfish/sexing-goldfish.html

It looks to me like the koi eggs are stickier than the goldfish eggs. In the second link, it appears the eggs from the goldfish sink and I know I have read that the koi eggs are sticky.

I was not sure if you were looking for koi or goldfish eggs. Have you seen them in your pond?

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

May 27, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8591848

"Steve" (named after a friends ex-husband...the most boring man on earth, Steve was very plain R.I.P.) Had a large round mass on his belly that just kept getting bigger. It didn't seem to bother him, he swam and ate with no problems. Then one day it looked like the surface of the tumor was starting to split open. I kept an eye on it and with in days it was pretty nasty (open, bloody) Steve appeared to be acting different. Clearly this was not going to clear up. Steve was probably 14 inches long. I put him in a large tub and added clove oil. I kept adding it until he stopped breathing :(

Eggs, they are a little bigger than the head of a pin and semi translucent. I've actually happened to look up just as a female "sprayed" eggs all over a clump of algae.
One of my pumps is about 1200 gph. There was so much spawning activity that the eggs clogged the pump...that was fun cleaning...NOT
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8593556

Fish_Knees

That sounds awful. The poor fish... Mine seems bigger than he was last year. It was strange that this lump disappeared and then came back.

Cannot imagine so many eggs that they would clog a pump...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8593599

Hmmmm, for the past several days hubby and I haven't seen our goldfish (roughly half dozen of them). It could be they're hiding somewhere among the Lizardtail plants and water Iris. I do confess, I'm worried about the fish well being.

helenchild
Decatur, GA

May 28, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8593620

Lily,
They could be hiding or they could be gone. There are predators around.
I had a heron jump in my pond and grab a big fat goldfish. The fish was probably 6-8 inches. Despite my shouting and running outside and down the porch stairs the bird flew off with my fish in his beak over to my neighbors roof top and proceeded to swallow it in one gulp!! Yikes, that fish was probably 3-4 years old, maybe more. I was surprised to see the bird dive head first into the water to grab the fish. I thought they waited by the edge to catch them.
I hope you fish show up Lily.
Helen

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8593634

Oooh Helen, speaking of Heron. I've seen this culprit by the pond edge but once back in March when we got flooded, and the water almost reached the pond's dam. I may have to put the net backup to keep the big birds out of the pond. Thanks.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8597879

Today, our dog hunted down an Opossum by my Koi pond. Will this Opossum be fishing for my gold fish? More likely Herons? I also have noticed this guy perching near by the garden for the last few days. Co-incidentally, the fish are gone. None have surface up at feeding time. Those that survive-- but 2 or 3 out of a dozen total-- behave very skittish. I so missed my goldfish and shubunkins that have been with us for years.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

helenchild
Decatur, GA

May 30, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8598293

Sniff sniff Lily, I am sorry about your fish. But its time to get more and put a fine net over to keep the birds at least from eating them.
I don't know about opossums. Come to think about it I don't have any idea what they eat! Raccoons are famous for stealing fish from ponds though.
What kind of bird is that anyway. It doesn't look like a fisher.
Good luck.
Helen
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2011
7:29 AM

Post #8598928

You can see the herons sitting at dusk on chimneys, ready to dive bomb the fish.

The herons are hungry and need to eat. Raccoons are just plain destructive and like the thrill of the kill. After one of their attacks, there were (beautiful) fish bodies in one place, the heads in another. Thrown all around as were the marginals. Lost 6 out of 8. After that we netted the pond. The raccoons jumped on that. After that we added chicken wire. After that the leaves fell, and we couldn't see the fish much any more. After that we built a pond and brought the fish inside. They lived happily ever after.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8599094

Helen, thank you for the well wishes. As far as
Quoting: ... It doesn't look like a fisher
. Ooooh, its sweet face is misleading. lol. It's a Black Crowned Night Heron. More and more I'm leaning toward 'blaming' it for my fish disappearance for during the day, my pets patrol the garden. No predator birds would be near the pond. Cathy I'm glad to hear you've a story-book happy ending. I'm comforted by the glimpse of my surviving Kois and one shunbunkin that I found this early morning. Nature is tough and could be rough at times. Sigh*
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2011
7:26 AM

Post #8605973

I tried to do a search on fish changing gender, it is sure that some fish do, however I am unclear as to whether goldfish or koi do, didn't find anything definite on that one. Strange indeed. I do know that some fish can carry eggs for quite a while and maybe livebearers? can store sperm in their body to fertilize future eggs. So that it appears a female has babies 'without' a male.

I have lost some fish due to bullfrogs which are my worst enemy in my goldfish pond. Probably not so much trouble for the large koi though.

Wonder if I put a pond in in OK, will rattlesnakes be attracted to it? I have the willies lol well really I am concerned about attracting rattlesnakes because of my kids and dogs.

My DG subscription expires later this month and I am moving from MO to OK, so I will not be renewing for a while until I get settled. So don't anyone think I dropped off the earth lol I will most likely be back someday.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8608576

FrillyLily, best wishes to you for the move. Hurry back when you can. Thanks for your added info. regarding Bullfrogs. I've heard bullfrogs in the ponds for many years. But never before have we missed large goldfish the size of my hand -- nearly. So today DH puts the fish netting back. We kept the netting to prevent falling leaves in the fall and winter, but now it's neccessary to have it back on year round.

The rounded looking goldfish is still missing along with others large ones. However, to our delight, we discovered some small "new" members of the pond. 3-4" size goldfish, some are still molting; their coloring still spotted with black and patchy gold before they turn completely gold. I lost some shubunkins, but there is one survived, the fish is very skittish and won't come out of hiding still.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2011
12:46 PM

Post #8608584

The netting is up;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2011
3:17 AM

Post #8614668

Nice view!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8615987

Thanks Joy. We've a new 'lead'. Currently we've reason to believe that our missing fish is because of a Racoon and not the birds. We've set live trap out the past few days. The creature is smart, whatever it's. Managed to have stolen baits without being trapped. :((

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8616084

Hot off the press...eeerr out of my digital camera. lol I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the real Mcoy appeared in the back yard. Just a little while ago.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8616137

oh, he is cute. Now, I can't hardly harm anything with fur. So that is a tuffie.
:(

of course moles don't count, ha!
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 7, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8616226

Good think you got the Sasquatch on film! Otherwise, I was piecing together the eating of the food offered, combined with the concept of not being caged...and I was pretty sure it was a 28 year old guy.

:D

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8616525

It's a "tuffie" alright, FrillyLily. But I think my fish is cuter. lol I hope we can live trap and relocate him elsewhere miles and miles away. Mary, lol on your assessment. 28? I thought it was a teenager myself. lol
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8618902

They don't call them bandits for nothing.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8618938

The Racoons cathy?
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8619010

Yes, with their "masks."

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8619449

They're very 'clever' as well. So far no sign of catching it. DH is thinking putting up an electric fence around the pond's perimeter. He think if the critter gets shocks once. It will NOT return.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8619873

I've been told that they avoid (small) blinking lights, but I see that Lily Love's raccoon is in the daylight.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8619897

Ah hah! The light bulb just pops! (so to speak). They're night critter mostly. Maybe I can string a string of decorative blinking lights around the pond? Maybe neighbors may think I've lost my nuggins and hang Christmas light in June. But will that work?

cathy, White Crowned Herons are noturnal birds. But, occasionally they are found perching/fish out on daylight.
realsis

June 14, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8629401

Have you noticed the goldfish scales "pineconeing"? Its an effect that makes the scales stick out and look as if it is a pinecone. If so, the goldfish could have a disease called dropsey. I can not see the fish clear enough to confirm this but sewlling and pineconning fins are symptoms of dropsey. I have raised koi and goldfish for years . I have a 2500 gallon backyard pond and have learned a bit about fish disease in my expirence. Now is she "blown up" all over or is this putrusion on one side? You can do a little reasearch on dropsey and see if it fits what is happening to your fish. As I said I can not see the fish close enough to be sure but the swelling is suspicious. You can also read how to treat this disease if indeed she has it. I believe a course of antibotics after a malchitite bath might be in order. You can get malachitite under the brand name "quick cure" I wish you the best of luck. I hope this has helped some.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8629749

Many thanks realsis. A Racoon has gotten to my pond and killed over a dozen goldfish included those that were shown above. Some survived; the next generation smaller goldfish, and a mid size Shubunkin and of course my tree big Kois.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2011
11:23 PM

Post #8633433

Indeed those herons are nocturnal. They start perching around at dusk, making themselves as invisible as possible, never in daylight. I've never seen a raccoon in my yard during the day, either, but have felt their presence. They love to throw around marginals and do all kinds of damage.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8634802

Frilly, I AM DEEPLY OFFENDED about your comment regarding MOLES . . . I am a nice mole. . .I am a diggy Mole, I am a gardening Mole . . . (I guess I am a crazy mole . . . lol).

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8634909

LOL, mm. That's too funny.
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

June 16, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8634962

My DD brought me a pail of Tadpoles at various stages.She teaches Kindergarten and they have raised them thus far in the classroom.We dumped them in my pond today.I just hope my fish don't eat the all. I'd love to have some frogs or toads to deal with the slugsJOY

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8634971

Best of lucks Joy.
realsis

June 18, 2011
12:49 PM

Post #8638631

I reallyget worried about those perditors and my fish! We have big craines and I pray those things don't swoop down and get my fish! Sorry about your fish! :( preditors are scarey!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2011
1:03 PM

Post #8638647

Thanks realsis.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2011
9:22 AM

Post #8640151

Mothermole, all present excepted, it's just destructive moles we don't like.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8640968

. . . A-hmmm sometimes, not by choice, I am destructive . . . I can be a clumsy mole at times.

I see mole traps sold in the Chicagoland area but I have NEVER seen one in anyones garden. My husband is from England and those moles are "organized destructive teams" that must get paid double time at night. Each morning my mother-in-law has more mole holes than you can count . . . but she adores them just like all the English. It's a love-hate relationship.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America