Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: Pip, Pip!

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 20, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8584350

Lock Down started Sunday night at 11:30. This morning (Tuesday) there are two eggs starting to pip, just a raised fleck of the egg shell. I'm a little worried because this wasn't supposed to start to happen until tomorrow.. think it will be ok? These are a mix of Marans. We've been talking to them since lock down started. A few are peeping back at us and eggs roll evry so slightly.

I'm going to take a nap. Have been caring for my sick DN and literally no sleep for either of us for two nights. We'll see what's going on after out nap. Hatching is always a thrill!! I accidentally bid on some eggs on BYC. I'm sure I'll be out bid soon, or maybe I'll keep going and buy them anyway LOL. I could hatch non stop, every step of the way is so fun and my DN loves to care for them, it's really taught her a lot about compassion and caring for animals.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8584371

Hope all goes well . After your nap give us an update!

"Accidental bidding" Yeaaaah right! LOL!!!!!!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2011
10:33 AM

Post #8584436

Yeah Pipping early is fine.. They are just anxious to get out!

Accidental Bidding syndrome... very contagious... You must have been exposed somewhere.. no worries, it will run it's course and leave no scars.. :)

You can't preach what you don't practice... If I have to take it easy so do you!! :)
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8584605

ROFL!!!!!!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8584861

There's still no progress on the beginnings of the pips. I will be patient (right!). I'm sweating it out right now.

ZZ,I will send you the other half of my bon bons, they are absolutely delish! LOL

The bidding was truly an accident, I saw the mix of very BLUE wheaten EE'ers, Blue marans and Sussex, seriously, how was I supposed to pass that up?
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8585092

Oh how fantastic is that! I'm fresh out of Bon Bons! LOL How am I going to thumb through the latest issue of Glamour magazine..? Belch... Lol

No one here is going to expect such a drastic move as to pass up the blue Wheaten EEs!! I sure wouldnt' n't!!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8585106

Well, one went from a tiny pip to busting out of her shell in less than 10 minutes! She is very, very vocal... Hope it's ok for her to be knocking the rest of the eggs around?????? She's like a little bull in the incubator.

This is so exciting, when we talk to her I swear she looks right at us! I can hear her two rooms away, chirping up a storm. Maybe that will encourage the others to hurry up?

Good thing I had a 20 minute power nap today, I'm going to stay up and watch the progress. It's amazing!!!!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8585116

I'm so glad you have my back ZZ! I'll feel free to bid wildly now. Bon Bon's... really I;ve never eaten one in my life so sorry I don't have any to share. I read childrens & animal books instead of ... was it Cosmo? Besides, a Cosmo is a flower, not a life style LOL
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 24, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8585531

New babies! Whoop, whoop!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8585588

Two hatched, 4 pipped! I'm going to try to stay up to watch it all. It's amazing!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8585641

We need to set you up with a video camera so you can replay it! :) I'm so gald you are enjoying this hatch.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8585952

Awwwww I wanna see too!!!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8586062

I so want a video cam, for hatches and inside the coop... but then you all would see me obsessing, singing, talking to the chickens & peeps... so I need to think about it LOL.

OK, we have 7 hatched, one pipping, another one zipping YAY!!!! I moved the first 4 that hatched into their fancy cardboard box brooder w/ heat lamp and paper towels for carpet.. They were running races over the eggs in the brooder and knocking them pip and zip side down - it was a mess.

I almsot didn't set one of the eggs to hatch when it was delivered, it was so HUGE, looked like a tripple yolker, so far nothing from it so no big surprise. WHen I moved the chicks I held some eggs to my ear and could hear peeping and pecking going on - VERY EXCITING! The big egg, nothing. Who knows what it will do, but it sure seemed too big and double yolk-ish. I had a very hard time getting my DN to go to school today. SHe took some of the hatched shells in a baggie to show the kids at school. It's hard to tell who is more excited around here. We looooove hatching! I'm bidding on BYC eggs now. Just one more Hatch and then I have to stop for the year, really, I do.

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8586209

I am tickled that you both are having so much fun with this! I know that excitement all too well... and it's amazing!

If that is a double yolker, I hope it didn't develop and won't hatch... I had one pip and when I helped it out, it had 2 bodies and one head. Very sad.. and ultra weird.. I didn't know it was a double..
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8586269

woo hoo Annie Great hatch
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2011
8:16 AM

Post #8586274

I love weirdness, but not that kind, how sad. I'm really going to have to work on learnign to candle so double yolkers and chicks that quit half way through the hatch can be taken out of the incubator. I'm hoping the giant egg doesn't hatch. I have a cull plan if needed.

There is nothing like fuzzy butts, or babies of any kind, to lift your spirit! It's just so absolutely amazing to watch them pip, or roll in the egg when we talk to them. I'm not getting a thing done today, it's CHICK day and I don't want to miss a second of it! I got so excited I upped my bid on the byc egg auction. Oh boy.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8586697

I love it when they first come out and their toes are all crazy looking and wobbly.. I love baby chick toes.. They are so silly looking!
Doesn't it just melt your heart when they look right at you? :)

I'm not an enabler or anything.. !!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2011
12:11 PM

Post #8586706

Yeah, when they look at me an "awwwww" just comes out all on it's own. Chick toes are the coolest, but their little eyes that follow every move just melts me. There is a 9th one pipping, the others are doing nothing. I'm going to leave the eggs alone until.. Friday evening? If they're going to hatch they would do it by then, right?

I'm wishing for a second incubator right now...

Back to staring at and talking to chicks and eggs.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 25, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8586961

Sounds like a really good hatch - well done!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8587032

Its so good hearing about a good hatch for a change! great job Annie! Im still in awe over the one little girl baby Serama I finally got out of 3 broods. She is still with her Mama and is a mama's baby, but I go and hold her and talk to her every day! She sends her best to all your babies too! She says we neeeed pictures of those newbie babies!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8587383

Thank you!

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow, hadn't even thought about it, have been too busy just watching & watching. Can't wait to hatch more LOL. I can do one more and that's it or they'll be crowded, can't have that.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America