-
AuthorContent
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2011
1:02 PM

Post #8584654

My Hubby is going to be so proud of me. I have 16 varieties of rare heirloom beans to plant and I've run out of space. I have a great strip on the south side of the house I can use, but its covered in grass and I don't want to put a raised bed there this year. I thought I could do my cardboard and mulch thing and use the bean growbags from Gardener's Supply. Have you seen the price on those things!!!!!? Then I thought wait I can design dress patterns, sooo... The pattern is real simple. I use that black weed block that looks like black pellon and cut one long length and one 24 in dia circle and serged them together. Rather than go through all the formulas to get it to taper I just ran around the loose edge and added deep darts til I had the size opening I wanted. To add the pole in the center I just nailed 2, 24 in lathes to a long stake and put it inside the bag, I used garden petons to anchor the bottom of the climbing strings to the soil outside of the bags and the other ends to the top of the stake, filled with soil and Voila. Done! Hee Hee and since I used leftovers it didn't cost a thing and looks quite nice. I'm going to use up all my dirty row cover too that got all mushed up in the mud with the spring storms we had here. Imagine how it will all look when the beans are blooming edging the walk. Thank G-d the L-rd gave us brains. I'll send pics when I get it all done.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8584677

PLEASE DO! I am sooooooooooo excited, since this has been on my mind too!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2011
1:25 PM

Post #8584683

I second that- photos, please!
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8584685

I can't believe they want so much for those things, can you? I know they're reusable, but really!
yehudith
silver spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8872687

Just a catch up. I ended up making a couple and they were fine, but in the end I just planted directly in bags of potting soil and covered it all with mulch. I got 3 eggplants or 4 peppers to a bag. The shishito peppers were taller than me and were covered right up until I finally pulled them out last week. Same for the eggplants.
SueGee1950
Annapolis, MD

March 4, 2012
2:56 AM

Post #9029086

Shalom Yehudith! Yer a gal after my own heart, a thrifty, crafty gardener. I love to read inventive ways to stretch a dollar and improvise. I also like to sew. I'm in Annapolis, so we're almost neighbors, zone-wise anyway. I am pretty much a novice gardener. Been trying to grow a veggie garden for several years. The bugs win every time, especially the squash borers and beetles, and last year, the stink bugs. I am hoping to have enough success this year to "can" and freeze for our large family (7 grown kids). I love to read about homesteading and urban farming. We have a small property, less than 1/4 acre, but I want to put it all to good use -- going square foot and vertical. I'm even thinking about placing flat soil bags on my low sloping screen porch roof to let the vining veggies grow down like a curtain. Have no idea if it will work, but reminds me of the pioneers with veggies growing on their sod house roofs. I've already started lots of seeds indoors plus a few outdoors. I have 4 fruit trees, 1 nut tree, and a few berry bushes too. Happy Gardening!
SusieR
Springfield, IL
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9103007

Here are a couple of things that may help anyone who wants to do this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Tater-Totes-Potato-grow-bags/

http://greenupgrader.com/11708/4-simple-steps-to-grow-a-hundred-pounds-of-potatoes-in-a-barrel/

I also put these on my pinterest boards (lots of cool gardening ideas)...
http://pinterest.com/goddesssusie/

Thumbnail by SusieR
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other High Yield Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant spacing jkehl 25 Apr 26, 2011 11:01 AM
How can you tell if you have enough space? sowersjoy 12 Mar 5, 2007 2:32 PM
Designing Raised Beds for Veggies CultivatingKate 24 Mar 25, 2013 1:20 PM
Container growing vs. raised bed growing yields silverglow 63 Dec 1, 2011 7:34 PM
Square Foot Gardening (SFG) construction pics 1_Lucky_Texan 55 May 20, 2013 7:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America