Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

African Violets and Gesneriads: Rescuing a Streptocarpus!

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 5, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Plantmum6
American Canyon, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8586113

I love Streptocarpus, but I am new to growing them. I went a little crazy last month and bought four on Ebay. They arrived in 2 inch pots with blooms on them. Two are doing great, one is so-so and one appears to be rotting at the crown. I pushed the soild down around the crown and put pebbles and I am letting it get almost wilted between watering but the leaves are turning brown. Any miracle remedies?

I am wondering if I should take a cutting in case it croaks? What propagation method works best for you that grow them? Whole leaf? Sections? Soil, water? Cover or no?

Thanks in advance!

Tina , new Streptomaniac!
bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2011
8:20 AM

Post #8586282

Crown rot is mostly a sign of too much water.

Definitely take a leaf or two and for propagation. The most popular method is to take the leaf, cut away the midrib and put the halves cut side down in some moist propagation mix (Perlite/Vermiculite 1:1 for example). Put in a plastic bag and wait for the plantlets to emerge. There are plenty of how to videos on YouTube.

A lot of times when you buy a plant, the mix is too soggy and heavy. If that's the case, repot into something lighter (AV mix/Perlite 1:1 for example).

I hope that helped.

Olaf
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8586679

I agree with Olaf.It's definitely rot.I would cut any healthy leaves off and propagate them.Knock the plant out of the pot and see if there are healthy roots.If there is green crown growth above the rotted part you can cut it off and reroot it in barely damp lean mix.

Another leaf rooting method is to plant each leaf in it's own Solo cup in damp mix,then dome.You will only get 1 baby per leaf using this method though.

Lynn
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8587178

That's what I usually do when I bring in new streps . . . take leaf cuttings and put them down. 8 out of 10 times new streps do not make it in my apartment, mostly I'm thinking due to different growing conditions. But, the babies from those leaf cuttings almost always grow nice and strong. Then, if the parent plant makes it, great! If not, I've got the babies.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

May 27, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8591701

Yup, take cuttings if possible! I too LOVE streps! Easy to grow but like other houseplants easy to kill by over watering. The single biggest killer IMHO is over watering.
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

May 31, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8599910

The first one I ever tried last year died from overwatering. It took me almost another year before I'd brave a second try. DON'T GIVE UP PLANTMUM6, just go light on the potting mix and let the soil dry before watering again.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America