Photo by Melody

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: **Red, White and Blue 2011** Patriotic Showcase!

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 260, Views: 1,199
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8586807

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1179247/
This swap is themed on the colours, red, white and blue. You can send anything that has these three colours whether they be plants or ornaments.
Or you may send 3 items with each having a single colour, but your 3 items must bear all the colours of our flag!
For example, a red plate, a blue glass and a white brugmansia.

$20 limit.
Mail out date will be 15 June.

1- Lizrainey
2- Betty
3- Marion
4- Judy
5- Linda
6- Jaye ^_^
7- Robynznest
8- deejay9
9- barefootT
10- Samigal
11- ridesredmule
12- jsxtiger
13- froggies_girl
14- dahtzu ^_^
15- muttlover
16- FruitOfTheVine
17- janaestone
18- Crit
19-Happgarden
20. Synda
21. Purpbuttfly (Cindy)
22. Jordankittyjo (Kathy)

This message was edited Jun 1, 2011 5:23 PM

Thumbnail by heavenscape
Click the image for an enlarged view.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8586820

Doing the ‘fist pump” here!!! Thank you, thank you Jeanie!! (Muttlover)
I can’t believe I’m the first to get my goodies!!!
I decided to work a little bit outside, in the heat… and there’s the UPS man in my driveway.
Miracle of miracles, normally the UPS man will just throw their deliveries over the fence at the shop. God intervenes for anything patriotic!

Okay.. okay..contain your excitement!! Start drooling as I write these words!

My buddy is Jeanie aka Muttlover. She has pored over the choices of what to get me, and I can proudly say, she did well!!! Not one item, yep, multiple, has been in my possession before.
I just got to “categorize” them, being we’re on the subject of efficiency :D

First pic…
Ready for the 4th of July picnic for sure. The Grandaddy of all USA celebrations!
There’s the brand new tablecloth that will grace my picnic table. Wow..not one but THREE packs of paperplates.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8586832

She made sure I won’t resort to eating with my barehands. After all, I’m a Southern Belle now ~~ via Cajun country via South East Asia!
Red, white and blue cutlery!!
And us Southern Belles don’t wipe our mouth with our sleeves nor do we swipe our hands off our jeans. We use napkins!! Yes m’am.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
1:28 PM

Post #8586841

Then there are the goodies to be served. Blue corn tortilla chips. Red chilli peppers… and a jar of white cheese.
Errr.. I have to hide that cheese from Kelvin. He becomes the Windtalker when he has cheese :D
None of the brands are sold here, Jeanie.
Thoughtful Jeanie of course included 2 packs of mints.
I wouldn't have to use any antacids in case Kel burns the bbq!!!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8586866

She even include patriotic goodies for the garden. A very very cute flower basket.
A packet Forget Me Not and wonderful Zinnias seeds. You must have snooped and found out that Kel loves Zinnias. I haven’t grown any zinnias for the past two years and there are no Forget Me Nots in our yard, ever!
Plus a beautiful lantern to light my way!!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8586870

Oops the picture!!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8586890

I was thinking of joining the mug swap, as I truly need a NEW mug. But then I was telling Synda the cost of postage is so high.. so I got to be careful on the swaps I chose to join.

There you are Jeanie… you made my heart dropped with the beautiful mug. Thank you, sistah.
Such a unique salt and pepper shaker.. all white. I don’t have any!! Southern Belle should have one right? No more straight from the boxes or jars!!!
AND no more leaving bags of snacks opened. Thanks for the clips!! One year, Dimmer had given me giant clips, and I use them to hold fabric!!! These are perfect!!
I love the simplicity of the kitchen towel. Just the red, white and blue stripe to adorn it.
Thank you Jeanie. You have officially become a swap sistah!!!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8586925

WOW! Look at all those goodies for our southern Belle. Very nice Jeanie, It looks like you have made Jaye a very happy southern Belle! ^_^
muttlover
Quincy, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8586996

Glad you like it. I was having so much fun planning a red/white/blue picnic for you. Did the chips make it ok? I kind of thought they might end up blue chip crumbs when I smashed down the box lid to get it closed. Cajun, huh? Gosh I could have gotten the HOT peppers.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8587066

Lolol on that Southern Belle, LK. Said with a southern twang of course.
Jeanie, you packed well. The chips are not crushed at all. The bag retains it's shape with all the extra air in it.
Thank you soooooo much, I've already made use of the cup.

Yayyy.. you beat Liz and Betty!!!

ETA:
But pretty sure, they won't let you do it again next year!!

This message was edited May 25, 2011 11:19 PM

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 25, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8587164

Hello Ladies,
Have any of you seen the new large flat rat box for $14.95? Man you can put a lot of stuff in it. It's long so it would hold yard stakes, hmmmmm must go back and get those i saw for my buddy ^_^
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8587230

That's cool... I haven't seen those!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8587247

Thanks for the heads up. I have not seen them either.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8587630

Have to check with the PO Cindy. My P.O don't carry the latest stuff, I normally have to order online for special boxes.

Jeanie, I couldn't wait for 4th of July!! The blue corn chips are delicious and especially the white cheese dip!!! It has a nice spicy, tangy flavor and Red Cactus is not sold in NC!!! Bummer, but they do offer it online.
Well, I did offer some to Kel and he loves it. Tonight, he'll be sleeping in the guest room!!

muttlover
Quincy, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2011
9:25 PM

Post #8587691

I think Red Cactus is so authentically Mexican that it seems to be made here in Quincy IL. Seriously though, I like the stuff and I'm glad you do too.

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

May 26, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8588038

Hi!! LOL, i have found you.
LOL, crusin through the threads...before I pack,

Wow, Sistah, you sure sure scored. Cool RWB items!!
Where's the picnic??

You did a great job Muttlover...love the mug too!

hahah, Cindy, wish i would have known about the box...too late, I have a box, lol but I'll remember for next time.

Hmmm, my box is filling up, not ready just yet though...i figure, i am sure to find something very cool in Boston or NH!!

Have a great day all, will be watching.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2011
6:10 AM

Post #8588044

I Have chatted with my partner & plans change so if weather permits this weekend I hope to be finding my RED WHITE & BLUE For my patriot Friend :) & SHipping on MONDAY My plans but we have 40%to 60% chance of rain for the next 4-6 days looks like .

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 26, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8588145

I got started on my RW&B pressies, so at least got motivated in shopping.

Nice "stuff" Jaye, I'd come to your picnic, but a little out of the way. My package from Betty hasn't arrived yet. LOL I figured if it had hit so many cities it must be on its way here, just kidding of course.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8588249

Waving to everyone & checking in the new room.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 26, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8588454

Beautiful box of R/W/B Jaye...mine should be there within the next few days unless of course postal worker wants to decorate their home!!!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8588459

Me, me, me. I'm here, up and ready for a good time again. I have been so depressed without my DG friends. Storms, flooding and tornadoes have caused a lot of problems around MO. Phone guys kept putting my hook up dates off so they could fix all the other problems in the area and lots of them went to Joplin to help out down there after that bad tornado, now I heard there was another one up in Sedalia but not as bad.

After this weekend it is out to the stores to look for more RWB stuff. I don't go out on Memorial weekend to the stores, tooooooo many tourists on the road and they are crazy.
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8588606

Lol jaye your going to get a spanking! ok mine went out this morning my buddy should get it on june 2nd yaaaay, wow jaye you got a terrific package there is the party at judyS house lol sorry if i mis typed its hard to see this from my cell phone
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2011
4:29 AM

Post #8590183

Glad to see you back Robyn

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8591277

Liz.. me?? A spanking? That won't hurt, I'm pretty well padded!

Betty that postal worker will be bragging of his haul! Watch other postal workers looking for boxes coming from Victoria Harbour, Ontario, Canada!

Welcome back Robin! Glad you're not affected by those tornados.
Think the whole country has been sending prayers for no more natural disasters.
The year is not over and there are already too many casualties.
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 28, 2011
3:50 AM

Post #8592231

lol

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8592860

Wave your flag, proud and high, ladies.
Have a fun Memorial weekend!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8592980

My flafgs are never down. Long may they wave!!! Happy Memorial day and we love our Troops. God Bless us all!!!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8593414

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8595617

Double AMEN! Thank you to all that have served. Thank you to my family, we are proud to say a member of our family has served in the military in every war since the revolutionary. Thank you to those that gave their lives and to those that lived and thank you to my husband as well for serving 50 years ago.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8596315

Thanks to my dad-army, brother-army, brother-navy, stepson-marines. Very proud of my family of military personel!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 30, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8596433

I have a nephew in the Canadian army and am proud of him as well..

It's individuals such as your family members that keep us safe..I've a great respect for those who put their lives on the line ..

Was funny, has visitors yesterday and we sat on the back deck, of course a corner is decorated in R/W/B..asked why American and not Canadian, couldn't answer the Canadian so must go find a flag to honor the Canadians who fight to keep me safe!

Hmm, would have thought my box would have arrived..with it being a holiday today I would imagine no mail going being delivered!!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8596482

No mail down in the states today Betty and I would like to honor all the Canadian military for their support and alliance with us. Thank you all.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8596513

Make it a triple AMEN!!
We must not forget one of our closest ally, Canada that always run to our rescue when the govt. asks for help.

Betty, you can take some naps today. No postal run. Tomorrow you can start getting anxious!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 30, 2011
8:05 AM

Post #8596602

I deserve some naps...my B&B has 3 men in their 40's staying for a week..so worked in gardens, got all the lawn furniture sets washed..enought seating for over 30, maybe they can play musical chairs..lol..cleaned the entire house, top to bottom so I'm ever so pleased to be at work resting..

Bit different having 3 mean for breakfast...kind of fun, my boys are same age..these guys were fighter pilots and one now is Captain for WestJet and the other brother Captain for Air Canada...the other owns a gas/grocery store in Calgary.

They came late, stayed up most of the night..no cooking for them, just providing b.b.q. who knows, they might cook for me...now that would be a treat..

Besides, thinking of all the plant hangers and plants I can buy with my $$$$...lol

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8596679

Woooohoooo. You go girl!!!!!!!!!

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8596952

Here is my baby bother and family (in the hummer) ...Iraq Veteran, at our house after the parade ~

Thumbnail by synda

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8597334

I salute all service members!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8597381

Glad he came home safe and sound.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 30, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8597480

Synda, great photo..hope you enjoyed your time with him!

froggies_girl

froggies_girl
Ocean Springs, MS

May 31, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8598694

I'm Home! My trip was fast and furious, but worth every minute! I will get all caught up later!
Managing to get some RWB things for my buddy. Hope to mail by the end of the week! Still working on the "special hand-made item."
Colt and Liam will be arriving home tonight. We had quite a scare last week and I'll tell about that later.
I'm attending a workshop today to replant Deer Island. Tomorrow we will plant 2500 dunes. So, I gotta go.
love to all, julie
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8598748

I always fly my flag and have a light on it so that it flies outside at night as well. I have many different American flags from different periods but this is one of my favorites. My embroidered one finally fell apart last year and DH brought this one home because he knew how much I loved this particular flag. The Navy mini-flag is in honor of my son who is proudly serving as part of one of the squadrons on the USS Eisenhower.

Thumbnail by janaestone

janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2011
6:05 AM

Post #8598755

Here we are with Navy boy when he arrived home from deployment last July - one of the best days of my life.

Thumbnail by janaestone

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 31, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8598769

Such a young looking lad..how proud you must be!
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8598804

He'll be 22 next month, Betty..and yes, I am one very, very proud mom.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 31, 2011
6:51 AM

Post #8598847

And so you should, looks like 17...not in any danger is he??
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8598861

Oh no, right now he is in the Bahamas for the next week, on a navy base getting extra training. His ship doesn't go out again until May 2012. He is stationed in Norfolk, Virginia. Last year, on deployment, he was in the Arabian Sea working on the hydraulic systems of the helicopters. He still has 1.5 years left and is talking about re-enlisting. He's getting married in August so we'll see how that goes when it comes time to sign those papers.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 31, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8598896

Great life experience for him...I agree, once married life's plans made when single can change really quickly..lol.. Just looked at Seven Mile, OH..am sure I passed there recently..will have to go check out where it is on the map..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 31, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8598901

Guess it was on my way to Nashville/Memphis ..dropped into Cincinnatti
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8598937

Salute to all, who served and those who kept the home fires burning.

My sisters, neice, nephew, cousins, gcousins, and ggcousins, spent the day cleaning two old family cemeteries. We had so much fun. Didn't seem like work at all! Course my body can feel it today...wowzer!

Thumbnail by happgarden

janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8598947

Wish I would've known, Betty - I would love to meet you one day!

You go, happ - you did something good and had a great time doing it alongside family -sounds like a perfect day.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 31, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8598984

Next time I pass by I'll let you know...

Happ they have cemetery day here, where everyone comes out and cleans, has a picnic, brings flowers etc. a must for most families..seems strange for the boys and I to sit at Roger's grave on a blanket laughing, remembering and talking about what has since gone on in our lives...

Heartwarming for sure

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8599009

Synda, Di, Julie, Robin and Patti.. and oh yeah.. Thunder..
Thank your family for being in the front line so we could have a normal life.
Julie, I can't wait to see pictures of Liam! That kid must have grown like pole beans!!

So nice to see your smiling face, Di. You and your DH certainly show your pride in your son. I agree with Betty, he certainly looks younger!
I need to start looking for other types of American flag. Around here, one could only get the rebel flag easily. Got to search eBay.

Joyce, that's a nice family project. You mentioned cemeteries. Wow!!! Must be a lot of headstones to clean!

Someone should be getting a box today!!! May that box be from Betty so she can breathe easier!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 31, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8599087

Yes, I will breathe easier Jaye..always worry about parcel sent until they arrive and recipient likes..NOT that anyone would ever say 'do not like' ..this group has much class not to do so..lol

Our postal service may be going on strike as of Thursday..so very glad everything got mailed out while I was in the USA last week...only thing remaining are a few quilt blocks and my mug for the mug swap...might have to make another border run..yippee

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8599158

Lolol.. I think you join swaps to do more border runs, Betty!!

Our postal workers are unionized, collective bargaining on high wages.. and have no reasons for strikes.. not in this economy!! Plus there's always the UPS or FEDex services.
I'm so glad I can pay most bills online, save on stamp costs!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8599166

This country use to have decoration day and that day would move around on the calender, it was not a 3 day weekend but a day set aside to do just as you mentioned Betty. I think every year the congressman from Hawaii trys to get it changed back with no success. He says our long weekend has turned into the first day of summer and lost it's meaning. Which it has, don't get me wrong I LOVE the long weekend and would be upset if I lost it...and there was a time in life that doing what I did Monday wouldn't even be a consideration, I was busy at the lake or doing something else. Course now most cemeteries have a paid crew who take care of them, all you need to do is take flowers.

We have vowed to keep this up at least every 6 weeks... ;) we will see how it goes, life has a way of getting in the way.

On a brighter note there are 2 different kinds of "old" iris and 3 different peony bushes on the cemeteries. They have to be really really old. Soon one of the cemeteries will have an old rose cause I am bound and determined to get one started there.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2011
8:59 AM

Post #8599192

Oh Joyce, I regret NOT getting a cutting of an old rose I found when visiting a cemetery in Louisiana. It had the most heavenly scent and deep, deep red with upright beautiful cups!!
These old roses are normally of 'indestructable' stock!
Go for it, Joyce!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8600829

My step-son spent 5 years in the Marines, left 2 weeks after high school graduation. He was stationed at Camp LaJuene in North Carolina. He was trained in welding to do repair of tanks and such. Made 2 or 3 trips out on ship and got out in May 2 years ago. He's going to college on the GI bill now. So very proud of him!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 1, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8600959

Morning all,

Starting to worry about my parcel, should have been received end of last week and still no posting that my swap buddy has received it..NOT good!!!
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8600971

just checked my tracking , and its where its suppose to be lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 1, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8601019

Liz, we're both impatient..lol..it's more fun having our swap partners get our packages than we getting one ourselves..well not quite!!
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2011
6:50 AM

Post #8601087

lol yes it is, hope she likes everything!
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8601097

oh the worst part is its two hour ahead of me so its in delivery mode ahhhhh this will make me nuts all day

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8601125

Good morning!!
Getting closer to the mail out date. But I should worry about myself!!! Marion, I think I'll rob you of that title..."Ms. Big Time Last Minute!"

Liz and Betty, I can't wait to see this year's goodies from you both.
Got to be something breathtaking!! You both should set up an online crafts shop.

Hey there Patti. Your step son truly is determined to improve on himself. First a stint with the Marines, and then college. Wow, such willpower.
He'll have that welding skill under his belt too.

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8601138

Can't have my title but I will share. LOL

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8601169

How generous of you Marion! Lolol!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 1, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8601200

Don't get too excited this year Jaye, all store bought..nice just the same..that's what you get when you pick up things all year round, no need to be creative!!! could have another then I would make something???

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8601462

With your critical artist's eye, Betty, the storebought ones would still be awesome!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 1, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8601521

Well let's just say if post office made an error and sent it back to me I'd be thrilled..I'd have a little nook all decorated in R/W/B...

Last night I was going through some craft magazines and they had an entire room decorated as such, set it aside, who knows, might get ready for 2012..

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2011
10:18 AM

Post #8601532

Betty, are spirits allowed across the border?
Would be nice if we could bring some great USA wine for your gathering! Hint.. California.. Liz..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 1, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8601594

yes, you would just have to report it..the odd time that I cross over friends will ask for liquor and I bring them back a bottle..but hey, we have some marvellous vineyard near the Niagara Falls area..competitive on the wine market so maybe it would be a change for you to have a full taste of what Canada has to offer..
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8601937

WOWWWWWWWWWW! Boy did my buddy do it right., I have never seen such a box, and full too.
lizrainey, gosh thank you,thank you, thank you. I totally love every item in that box and that's a lot of loving. There is no way words can do justice to all the goodies. LOL, bet all of you want me to shut up and show the pictures...right. OKKKKKKKK..drum roll: get comfortable, this will take awhile.
A super duper 3 door Birdhouse Condo.
God Bless America Wood Flag
Vinyl w/felt back table cloth
Red,White,&Blue Crazy Straws
2 pair R,W,B Socks
Ceramic Flag
Tiny R,W,B Sock change purse..about as cute as it gets.
4pc.set star cookie cutters
2 hand towels, 1 blue w/white stars & 1 solid red
Bell door nob hanger
Set of 6, 2 red, 2 white & 2 blue Citronella mini terracotta pots
God Bless America Bracelet
NOWWWWWW, big drum roll again:
Liz MADE R W B Slippers..so soft so warm & so comfortable
Liz MADE an awesome button bracelet with matching earrings
Liz MADE the most unique R W B Ring.
I am in awe of this entire box.

Thumbnail by dahtzu

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8601946

Now have to show you closer details..
Check out this Condo. Just know the Birds will be bickering over ownership.

Thumbnail by dahtzu

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8601950

This Flag will make a statement anywhere it's hung.

Thumbnail by dahtzu

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8601959

Not nearly done yet..told you, that great box was loaded.
Cutest little buckets, 1 with the God Bless America Bracelet and the other with the Crazy reusable straws.

Thumbnail by dahtzu

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8601972

And the show goes on:
These cute things on the right are Slippers hand made by Liz. I'm so proud of them and believe me, they will be worn thread bare.
I love these socks.

Thumbnail by dahtzu

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8601994

Now I know you all have been waiting for this:
Liz hand made this awesome Bracelet with the matching Earrings. Look at the bracelet and you will see many other little patriotic items along with the buttons. This bracelet was made for these old hands, it has a magnetic fastener. The earrings are so perfect for me. They have R, W,& B stars along with the buttons...yes, tiny baby buttons. Love my new ring bling!
Gosh gracious you did a super job Liz and I'm so excited with everything. Thank you so much.

Thumbnail by dahtzu

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8601995

One last pic. to show close up of this awesome bracelet.

Edited to say, as if you couldn't tell, I'm a happy swapper .

This message was edited Jun 1, 2011 3:58 PM

Thumbnail by dahtzu

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 1, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8602020

Now that's a R/W/B swap box..omg Liz you sure outdid yourself!!! Love the birdhouse, actually love it all!! dahtzu I bet you were dancing up and down as you took each item from the box...

I didn't get the box and I'm jumping up and down..you can see from the swap boxes received so far just what July 4th means to all!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8602022

Faye, I don't think she could have packed one more item into that box of lovely red white and blue box! WOW! Look at all the goodies, and some handmade too!
Nice job Liz!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8602032

Double wow!! Great things.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8602042

wow, that is so incredible...

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2011
2:22 PM

Post #8602046

Hmmmmm... can I say I covet that box?
Liz, you sure did it in a grand scale. Me love everything!! I want that birdhouse, the socks, the bracelets (magnetic is nice for this arthritic hands too), the earrings and even the crazy straws!

Faye, you must be on cloud 9. Each year you celebrate 4th of July with different goodies!!
Your collection will be talk of your neighbourhood!
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8602790

lol jaye,
oh faye glad you like the box! guess you would never think i have issues about packing a box full i know im out of control but its all for the spirit of america those button braceletts keep me busy which is a good thing .
ok betty where's your box?

This message was edited Jun 2, 2011 2:37 AM
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8603621

Liz, you cannot imagine how happy your box made me. I too like to have the box full, and I don't mean with paper. lol No paper in this box!
Everything you had in the box is useful and something to be happy to have. I absolutely think it's the best. Thank you so much.
Now I will pack a box and try to make someone else happy. My buddy will get her box next week...will be mailed on Tues.
Love & hugs
Faye
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8603671

your very welcome think this is one of my favorite swaps around :)

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8603688

Liz, you are truly a blessing to your swap buddies for sure!!!
No papers huh? Wow! I'd be packing mine with bubble wraps, papers and foam!!
Wonder if you could share with us, how you did the bracelet. Would love to do a few for all my nieces, overseas.

Faye, we still have plenty of time. But then, where yours is going to would need that extra time!!
(See Betty's eyes widened?)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 2, 2011
7:44 AM

Post #8603707

I know you are teasing Jaye..our postal service is possibly going on strike tonight at midnight sooo if my swap partner hasn't already mailed please keep it and I'll let you know the status..DO NOT mail it in another fashion as it's far too expensive..love late treats..lol

Jaye, maybe you could check with my swap partner..she should have received it by now..remember there was an error at post office when I was in USA, thought it was the pot holder swap box that they would have difficulties with, now I'm worrying it may have been the RWB..drats..now what if/what if..I'd die of embarassment if they sent it c.o.d.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8603748

Betty, I'll dmail her, for sure don't want that box to be rerouted!

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 2, 2011
8:43 AM

Post #8603803

A great box of RW&B treasures. I'm dragging my feet as usual, probably won't get it mailed out until the dead line. I'm still looking for a few more things. Today after my physical therapy for my back I'll get some shopping done. Never can make plans as they usually have to be changed.

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2011
9:08 AM

Post #8603850

LOL Betty was my buddy!! That is a first, but the package went to my mom's house and not here, my bad I forgot to change my address. Thanks Betty. Mom said box is torn real bad and it rattles. Hope nothing is broke. Don't know when I will be up there to get it. Depends on this weekend plans
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2011
1:32 PM

Post #8604326

LOL, ok Jaye, I think I'll wait on that mailing, lol just a few extra days. Wouldn't want it to get anywhere early..would we? I think I'll let my buddy decide. Tomorrow, next Tuesday or the 15th. Buddy, whoever you are, the decision is yours!
Boy, this is fun.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8604368

Betty is known to pack well Cindy. It would be a good excuse for Doug to visit your mum!!

Faye, and if you keep that box longer, don't seal it yet... you may find something else to add to it.

I've been fighting with the heat and want to send something perennial... change my mind. By the time it gets to there, it will be a baked rhizome!!

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8604473

Oh good so then hopefully nothing is broke.

LOL Doug visit my mom rotflmao My mom has taken a huge dislike towards Doug and refuses to talk to him. And when he talks to her she just scowls at him and ignors him. So we do not go there often. I go by her house when I have things to do in Auburn other than that we stay away.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8604545

Cindy, sure hope you have your address changed now? At least it did not get lost in transit.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8604554

Jaye, box is open, but I cannot put another thing in it, lol not even paper...it is full!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8604591

Well Cindy, I agree with LK. At least the box isn't rerouted!
Awww... me think your mum's jealous of Doug, maybe? She was enjoying your company till Doug came.

Faye, your buddy will be one lucky lady!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8604636

Cindy, if your Mom has not opened the box, she can take it to the post office and have them send it to your place. Just have her tell them you have changed your address, and it should not cost her anything to mail out.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8604650

Faye sends out great boxes. I have no doubt that it is stuffed FULL!

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 2, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8604683

LOL I have not put in a change of address. Because of my medical insurance. I just forgot to make it in care of Doug. I've updated it.

And yes my mom is very jealous of Doug
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8604953

sure Jaye happy too..

they can cost a fortune if you go to joann's and Michael's for supplies! holy cow the price for buttons and bails seemed so ridiculous
after searching for the most economical way to make these i found a seller on eBay where i get my 10 mil bails there are in hong kong the last batch i got 1100 for 6.99 but i had to wait a month before i got them lol
then i go to every estate sale possible i was able to purchase two weeks apart two shoe boxes full of buttons for 25.00 each box wow i was set for a while!
and of coarse a chain so when you think your ready let me know and we will proceed.
their actually very simple.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8604993

Liz, I'll be looking for the bails on eBay. Bought some beads from a HK eBayer, and I don't mind the wait.
As for the buttons, I may have to get them on eBay too.
I've seen some craft plain silver bracelets at Michael's. Will it be a good idea if I get it from there, instead of a chain?

Ladies, I have some requests as to tshirt sizes.
Apart from Faye, please post your size please, unless it's extra secret, then dmail me!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8605207

Liz, you were my buddy last year and am still wearing the flip-flops you embellished and seem to have a never-ending stash of fingernail polish...lol A little dab goes a long way. And Old Glory you gave me, Faye, when we were on vacation last year is still flying proudly.

Since my Buddy and I are exchanging plants, she asked me to wait a little bit longer to mail them to her. The heat here this week has been brutal.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
4:36 AM

Post #8605629

T-shirt: X-Large ... I like them loose and long. lol

FOTV: Is this not a 'secret buddy' swap?

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 3, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8605699

You ppl and your heat ugh!!! We are still getting rained on and the sierra are still getting SNOW!!!!!!! And they say California is SUNNNNNNYYYYYY!!! I'd like to see it!!! Here it is June we should be in the 90's by now but instead we are getting rain

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8605773

Yes, I was wondering that too.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8605906

Oh goodness!!! Snow in June? You gotta be kidding Cindy! It's getting bone dry here, but I won't complain much, as the hurricane season officially starts. Just hope they will just turn into tropical storms.
America has enough tornadoes, so hoping for no dangerous hurricanes.

Patti, in very dire situations like sending out living goods, it's okay to contact your buddy directly as to when is the best time.

It's ridiculously in the 3 digits here, I've changed my mind in sending out plants!

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8606024

the po says my buddy got her box on the 23. sis jaye, can you check?

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8606056

Okay, sis. You're another fast one!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8606060

NOt sure what this is for but I like my shirts big and loose also...XL

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8606064

Thanks Marion. It's good to know what you prefer. I had thought a Medium would suit you, but big and loose is better!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8606068

Jaye, surely you jest...a medium. I haven't seen a medium since I was in high school. Wait, not sure I did then. No, I just don't like clothing to tight. Curious now as to what is going on...

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8606111

I like mine big also and with these Jaw Slappers I usually buy 2xl - 3xl ...God gave me big feet to hold up the top half ...LOL

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8606206

I'm filing these Marion!!
Who knows next year, I may get one of you XL!!!

Synda..surely you jest?? I need hubcaps!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8606816

LMBO ... u guys are too funny. I have enough back trouble, don't need anything extra to carry around. I did say XL didn't I?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8606841

XL T-shirts work for me since it's too expensive to get a boob lift and a butt tuck ;-)

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8607281

Joan Rivers: "The only awards show named in honor of my breasts... SAG "

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8607323

I wish those were one of the things on your body that you could donate to the ones in need...

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8607363

Synda, they'll have to inflate mine first!

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8607367

ROFLMBO

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2011
4:48 AM

Post #8607767

You girls are a wonderful MESS!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2011
7:15 AM

Post #8608001

Well I guess the series to define mine would be Lost.
muttlover
Quincy, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8608020

I'm an XL t-shirt wearer too. Never could wear a medium - I've been wide err "shouldered" all my life which was a real downer in the Twiggy era. Had frizzy curly hair when everybody had straight hair too. And was pale white in a tanned generation. I like being old much better. At my age you're beautiful if you don't have to hold up your boobs with a belt.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2011
10:19 AM

Post #8608314

rofl...omg you guys are sooo funny. Yeah if I would of gotten a rose bud on my boob in my 20's it now would be a long stem! Be careful where you put those...rofl. So funny. 1x if fine if for "dress up" t-shirt, to garden in I need a 2x, need lots of room, for twist and shout!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8608435

I'm gonna try that belt trick!!!

Oh Joyce, if it's me, the rose would turn into a blurry weed!!

This will be the perfect cry for my ehem floppers.
"We've fallen and we can't get up!!"
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8608528

Well, I don't think I need a belt to hold them up ...rofl ... but my
( * )( * ) have gone to ( . )( . ) Still above the belly button though.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8608564

Patti.. thanks for the visual!! LOLOLOL!!!!
This is thankfully an all girls' swap.

But me know that Tubby is laughing in Heaven.

Di.. where are you? Please check your dmail!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8608665

I think everyone is outside. I go out, work a little, then come back in! Have to cool off, refill my drink and go pee. lol May take my first dip in the pool today. It is crystal clear and very inviting
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8608712

Oh Crit you made me laugh out loud...dh sometimes thinks I need committed, hummm I may need to rephrase that sometimes...
OMG if I had a pool that would feel soooo good, it is soooo hot and humid. I still got some plants potted, and potted plants watered, and a succulant garden made in a big concrete planter that was at my Moms old house, first time I have really tired it, sort of did last year but not seriously.

Whats blooming for you all now?

I have roses, red hot poker, some of lilies finally opened, lots of weeds oh sorry don't look there!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8608727

My venus fly trap is blooming. That chameleon has just finished up blooming. got few daylilies, easter lilies Mini roses. Probably more but Whew! just came in from mowing and girls, it is hot out there...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8608730

Got lots of lilies Joyce.. DL..Asiatics.. Irises are already spent.
Lots of weeds too, so you're not alone in that category. Too hot to continue with weeding.

This is Orange Art

Thumbnail by heavenscape

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8608737

Beautiful! As hot as it is the weeds can mostly just sit there and burns theys widdle buns offen theyselves...

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8608740

Charleen, you need to go to Patti's and get a good soak in her pool.

This is DH's fav. DL. Electric Orange Marmalade.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8608741

I need too, Jaye. I thought I was going to fry. That is so beautiful. DH has great taste..

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8608743

lost a lot of name tags to the DLs.
One of them.. purely pretty.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8608748

Charleen, I'll tell him that.. he's always picking the yellows or the vibrant oranges!
This is one he had picked too.
Bonny, and it blooms about 10 inches across! Quite tall too.

Woe is me, as we have 2 quite well known DL nurseries close to us!!

When I can, I love to shop at Marietta Gardens. Mrs. there always give me a whole clump not fan or fans...

Thumbnail by heavenscape

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2011

Post #8608750

I have some blooming (daylilies) was sent to me last fall. Different kinds. I guess considering they are sitting out there with no additional watering they are doing pretty good. Wish we had some rain , it would help a lot. Those are beautiful. I have a large yellow but it has no name either, but doesn't stop it from being pretty.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011

Post #8608751

All gardens should have a sweet "lollypop"

Thumbnail by heavenscape

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8608755

Charleen we make good mamas to the orphan kids, of the flowering kind!!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8608759

Kel just read the whole thread while I went to the bathroom.
He asked me since when a Swap thread became a "Mammary thread"
His words... not mine.
Marion, aren't you proud of Kel :(

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8608761

Hot everywhere I guess! We sort of lucked out with an overcast but the humidity has to be 70% and in the 90's temp.
Love the venius fly trap, those are too cool, but I have to ask what is the chicken wire keeping out or in? :)

Orange Art is beautiful I haven't seen that one.

Since I ask that question I decided to "look" at the flowers instead of what I needed to do...
I still have a couple of iris blooming, white and yellow, peonies a few are still blooming, roses blooming, here are a few pics.

Here is the red hot poker, it is so funny looking, this one is not really red more orange and yellow, I have another that is more yellow and green, then one that is more red.

Thumbnail by happgarden

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8608764

My red hot poker went on strike this year.
Hambone's been peeing on it last year.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2011
3:05 PM

Post #8608765

Love daylilies and lilies and... ;) Those are some beauties. I don't have any daylilies blooming yet, I do have some scapes coming up on one or two. Know what you mean about living too close to a particular nursery. I live close to an iris farm about 3 miles and too close to a daylily farm I just found last year.

This is a spuria iris and it is this yellow bright! I also have a purple and a pure white. They are great plants and bloom after the other iris.

Thumbnail by happgarden

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8608767

I love the intensity of that yellow, Joyce.
It's a beauty. Brough back some La. Irises with me, none made it.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8608769

I live in the country and have 4 male dogs...that is a constant problem...grrrrrrrr... ;)

Here is a pale orange lily, it is so soft and delicate it person.

Thumbnail by happgarden

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8608772

Chickens and dogs or Dogs and chickens. i have both.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8608775

they love to run thru them or the chickens like to scratch them up. i have wire all over precious plants///

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8608778

We had a small coop here on DG for those spuria iris. I have a tall bearded iris about that same color and I (by luck) planted it next to a dark dark iris, they look great together. The spuria get sent out really late in the summer, wrapped in paper towels and plastic, the rhizone can't dry out. It worked good for us, cause I just went over to the iris farm and got them and they were mailed that same day. Everyones survived which I was surprised because I think we were every zone there was. Now I don't have to worry about them staying moist at all, I guess just when they are first dug. I don't know about LA iris. These spurias have tall leaves like the LA's. Don't LA's require moist areas?

My first water lily opening...yeah! My water garden is very small, I was lucky enough that one of the DG'ers sent me a water lily for postage so now I have two, which is probably all my pond can handle.

Thumbnail by happgarden

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8608779

Well at least the chickens poops are good for the plants. Whereas Hambone is good for nothing!! Except to chase the cats!!

Joyce, I like that's so pretty.. Maybe you could rename it, just for your own memory!!
I found that there are so many lilies with striking similarities---similar markings, size, form and colorations--- but with different names. Unless you're particular about hybridizers, no one truly cares.
But we can't do that to the Brugs.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8608785

I figured you must have chickens... ;) Never had chickens but sure had some geese that would cause some damage. I would like to have another duck, he would eat the bugs but not pluck the plants. Our neighbor bought some chickens from a chicken laying factory (don't know what else to call it, chickens never get out), those places shave off the chicken beeks so these guys are the strangest things to look at! She said they don't act like "normal" chickens either. She just collects the eggs but doesn't eat the chickens.

What sweeties playing there. Our lab is probably just guessing 95lbs so when he sits in the hosta garden, Katie bar the door, nothing is safe. New mulch is a BIG problem. Two basset hounds with big feet and short legs, and a wire terrier with short legs. .

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8608788

Yes Joyce, La. Irises love boggy areas.
I planted them in a ditch in front of our house, but somehow, they hated the transfer.
It's okay... I'm now loving the TBs.. got one white spuria.. growing real well..might get more.
As for water lilies, another DGer sharing your name has an enormous man made pond---should be a pool!! Lots of Kois in there too.
Visited her in Ohio last year, and she almost convince me to start one, till I see her wade in the pond to clean it. No sir.. no extra work for me.

Charleen, I'm surprise that my 20 odd rescues leave my plants alone. Those cats rather be using them as shade then as toys!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8608793

Jaye, I figured they'd use them for litter boxes. whew! I remember cat litter boxes. Can't stand them but love those cats.
I have some La iris in ground but am moving them to a bog. i have a trade coming up and I have a small bog I'm going to swap them out and put the iris in. I love those things they are beautiful. Do you rescue just cats???Jaye???
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8608794

rofl...about the brugs. I think I have the names to the plants here and there...said I was going to get that organized this last winter...right...

Oh I am sure your puppies are good for something... ;)

On the chicken poop, I hear it is really hot and will burn plants so do you compost it for a year or more? I am going to get some from my neighbor and was going to have to find out what to do with it for sure.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8608804

Yep, that's true if you use too much. I got longear poo, I use on stuff with no fear. I make a tea and por it on the soil around the plants, it stinks but the brugs love it... I have lost label plants too. that largest dog in that pic is a dufess he is always tearing up or chewing something.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8608805

Most of the time, I like a large T-shirt..like 'em loose too...but I did just recently buy one that is sized L-XL and it is not too big, guess it depends on who is making them...

I have been having major CRS moments, and don't know where I posted, and where I did not...so If I am repeating I am sorry...but just want to let everyone know...I got a call from my "sailor" !!!!! and he is doing very well...been at it just over three weeks...was sooo good to hear his voice :)... and we now know that we are definitely going to be going to the Great Lakes for Graduation ^_^ we weren't sure about the Money, and I was not sure if I was gonna be able to get time off work...butttttt everything is gonna work out ^_^ YIPEE and YAHOO...and My Momma is gonna meet us there !!!!

THREE CHEERS FOR THE RED WHITE AND BLUE...HOOYAH HOOYAH HOOYAH GO NAVY ^_^
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8608810

The ponds are not care free, but honestly except for cleaning the stupid filter it isn't too bad. I clean mine in spring but I dont get in in it. I pump the water into a kids swimming pool, put the fish in it, get the plants out (most havent broke dormant yet) and pressure wash it and then fill it back up... Mine is small enough I can cover it in the fall with several pieces of big window screen and keep the leaves out so cleaning is easier. But it sure isn't care free, but sitting by it and watching the fish is hypnotic! (don't think I spelled that right) LOL

Oh DH is calling my name, dinner is ready...later!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8608816

Congrats barefoot, so glad everything came together for you!!!!!! Gotta go.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8608820

We do si doed, Joyce!!!

No chickens here. But won't raise chickens in that fashion neither! That's too cruel even for eggs. Free range chickens give the best tasting eggs!!
My grandma raised them, and they loved to perch in her mango tree!

Hambone's body is German Shepherd, with it's drooping torso.
But his legs are pure Bassett Hound. Being that close to gravity, he can easily pull down a picket fence!!
Maybe that's why he's abandoned. It could be the the previous owner changed his mind in keeping him.. how cruel.
He was chained to a grocery store post when Kel found him. The store clerks said that he's been chained for hours, and not one of them gave him food or water.

For this picture, I had to chain him up, he can't keep still!!! So much energy!! But we ADORE him. He makes a good comic relief!!
The hunters that pass through here would turn around when they see him and broke out in guffaws!!! Yeah right.. keep laughing.. God has a purpose for Hambone. Don't know what yet, maybe it's to keep us laughing too?

My other dog is a Chi. Lola rules over Hambone.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2011
3:44 PM

Post #8608823

cute dog Jaye!

oh all you southern gal's I'm soooooo jealous of your weather! please send it to California I'm so sick of the rain lol

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2011
3:46 PM

Post #8608826

Dufess mom was a Basset and I don't know how but the Poppa was a weinerdog. so you know Dufess is short legged too. that other little dog is a chihuahua and is so sweet. i love him, he is just goofy.
hambone is a good name...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8608827

I'd like a little coolness Liz but not an over abundance. I like cool not cold. wish we could send you some warmth.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8608829

See the negative effects of being on dial up???
There'll be two or three posts ahead of me by the time I posted.
Well, at lease I'm online!!!

Yayy Thunder!!! God will create a way for you to be there for his graduation!!
Convey our congratulations to him please, and tell him that we are all so proud of him!!

Charleen, whatever animals that need us.
We even got possums that come up to the back porch and feed from the kitties' food pan. Strange that they all get along.
The cats had so far been good as to only use the open field as dumping ground. I haven't seen any mole or vole holes since we started rescuing the cats.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8608831

Waving to Liz.
Trying to send a little heat your way, but I think God says He works alone!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8608838

I know that is right Jaye. He just isn't ready to give her any warmth yet. She will have to get it from our friendship. Is it working Liz?? Feeling warmer???
congrats Thunder, so happy for you...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
4:21 PM

Post #8608904

LOL Jaye ... he works alone. I like that!

Pool is ready! I did get in, and it felt really good. Come on over!!!!

Thumbnail by Crit

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8608919

We have a pool too, one of the blue ones from wal-mart. Small but it gets the job done!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8608926

That looks so inviting!!
Patti, I'm right now happily occupied with the Raise My Baby's annual cotillion.
Come on over, you'd be expecting one next year when you join the swap.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1187095/

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8608930

LK, we got one of those when the kids came visit us 4 years ago.
My BFF treated them to the biggest one. All 4 kids and 3 adults have plenty of elbow room!!! Lol!!
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2011
5:54 PM

Post #8609101

Oh Patti, your pool looks good, mine is at 81 degrees right now. Just finished opening it last weekend. Thankfully, it was crystal clear this year. A few years ago we took the cover off and it was a mess from all the yard work we had done around it the previous fall. We have to wait until at least Memorial Day to open it because we have a maple next to it and the 'helicopters' clog up the filter and the pipes if we open it early.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8609110

Di, check your dmail please.
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8609132

Thunder - you have got to get to that graduation come h*** or high water. My son has been in almost three years now and when he graduated boot camp we took a caravan of cars up there. It was wonderful!! The ceremony was very moving - so, so patriotic - and it was just so darn good to see him after all that time with nothing but letters. I was so full of pride I was about to burst and DH almost cried. It was a good thing to see - other people had talked about graduation and how neat it was but I didn't really know what to expect until I went. I'm really glad I got the chance to see it and be a part of it and just to see my son graduate from boot camp. Plus, we got to spend the weekend with him and tour Chicago.

Thumbnail by janaestone

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8609145

Oh Diiiiii.. check your dmail please... it's important...
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8609163

I just replied, Jaye.

{{{{Jaye}}}}}

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8609176

^_^ Nicely surprised weren't you?
Di, Sis Kathy *Jordankittyjo* is your secret buddy.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8609329

we ARE going to graduation!!! I said from the get go... "I am going, If I have to tell my boss I pray for a job when I get back, but I am going, and I am going if I have to charge some of the expenses"...

we are going to drive with sons girlfriend...so that splits the cost :) and when we get there My Momma is going to meet us (well we have to pick her up at the airport) so thats another share in hotel expense :) and I just found out I am gonna get a bonus from work in my next pay!!!! sooooo now I do not have to put anything on a charge :)

we went to Army graduation, when "soldier boy" finished basic training, and we went when he got his "wings", and we went when he got his ranger tab...but they were all just to Georgia...so not to expensive to travel, and gas was much less then...11 and 10 years ago... there was no way I could not go to this one!!!!!

Yes Military ceremonies are very "moving" looking forward to the "Navy" experience... Hooyah!!!

Thumbnail by barefootT

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8609977

charleen yes i do
so desperate fo sun i stuck the heater on 80, here me and dh sweating like crazy ,
poor dogs lathargic lol but it looks like we may see sun today :)
crit how do you not stay in that wonderful pool all day?

thunder great news

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 5, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8610099

Liz jump on a plane and head here, sunny, no humidity, perfect weather to be visiting a friend in!
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8610181

ahhh wish i could!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2011
10:00 AM

Post #8610529

Thunder that is wonderful news!!!

We are expecting 99 today with 102 predicted for tomorrow. Definitely will be a day to stay inside...can't help but wonder if the actually temps are to be 102 what the heat index might be.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8610557

We are hot the next three days but Wednesday we are suppose to cool down to 80! I am so excited! rofl. I have been out this morning and now it is just hot. One thing about it we don't have to watch the basset's being blood hounds in cool weather the nose is on the ground and the next thing you know they are 5 acres over! Too hot here lately for them to venture too far.

Been cleaning my car and it was a pit from hauling plants, potting soil, you name it, lawnmowers a giant mess!

Crit that pool is beautiful! omg does it look good. My sister has a big blue but she lives about an hour away, so not exactly like I can run over and jump in...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8610793

Thanks Di. We don't have a cover for ours, but try to keep up with keeping it cleaned out as spring starts until time to get all the chemicals up to snuff and do a heavy spring cleaning on it. My DH is so good about taking care of it and cleaning it up. I love him for that!!!!!! (among other things) He's very dilligent about keeping it nice. It's at 8o* now. I got in up to my waist yesterday and just stood in the shade in it. Felt so good. And helped keep me cool after I got out and went back to yardwork.

Yes Liz, it is hard to stay out of it ... sometimes I DON"T! :-)

We went to step-son's graduation from Marines bootcamp in San Diego 7 years ago. It was really something to see!!!

POOL PARTY AT MY HOUSE ... come on over and JUMP IN!!!!!!!!!!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8610796

Hi everyone so sorry for being MIA for so long but so much happing around here i just have not had time to get on here much at all . Today another toasty day & I just want to lay back after the week i have had .
this week i hope to slow down a bite my Niece was in accoma for 2 days from a medication reaction , Margaret Has decided daddy ties her down to much so she is not coming back , there is a guy who wants to buy this place but as of yet cannot get the money witch is ok I'm not in a hurry to UPROOT Daddy anyway for he's upset as it is that margaret is not coming back. only to get her belonging "Next weekend".

I have a guy coming Monday to weed wack for me so I hope to be able to find the Plants I want to share with my partner along with all the other goodies i have found ☺

will let you know when i get them ready to ship. Hope to by friday the latest. we have a few cool days ahead I think they said . but you take time it is fine , Looks as my summer is going to be a busy one anyway so it won't matter when you send :))) I WILL FIT IT IN ☺

WELL TOLD DADDY I WAS GOING TO TAKE A NAP & here i sit so guess i better get off here ya all have a great day susie
PS Will try to get back in more now that my spaw is over:)
susie
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8610818

I never did understand who Margeret was. Friend, family, etc?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8610948

dads wife they married about 4 yr after my mother passed away I told them it wouldn't work but they have been together for 11 yrs now the 23 rd of june. & now that daddy is about blind she wants out. so i have all responsibility
now. before she was here just more less to keep him company so she thought . & yet i took care of them both also.

off to get super soon back tomorrow
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2011

Post #8610995

Oh ... so sorry for your daddy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8611054

Susie, sorry to hear that about Margaret leaving your Dad! What a bummer. Who will she be staying with?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8611161

her daughter in IND
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8612449

{{{Susie}}} Sounds like a rough time at your house. I'm so sorry to hear about all the troubles for you and your dad. How is it going over at your friend's house? Did you get all the plants out finally?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8612505

[quote="Crit"]POOL PARTY AT MY HOUSE ... come on over and JUMP IN!!!!!!!!!!![/quote

Crit did you hear about the teenage girl who posted about her birthday pary on facebook and something like 1500 people showed up! roflmao...so watch out, we might all be there! rofl.

Susie, don't know for you if Margret leaving is a curse or a blessing...maybe both. So sorry for your Dad tho. I know it would be hard to watch your Dad be upset...

I am sure having less property would be nice, but OMG you have so many flowers, how would you ever move them all? I can see where uprooting your Dad would be hard, but sometimes you need to think about you and if it is too much for you to hand or would be soon, gotta take those options when they happen, like you said if it happens.

editted for bad spelling...

This message was edited Jun 6, 2011 9:00 AM

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8612568

Sorry for the BABBLING ON I Do not like to sound out on the forums of personal problems I was tired & it has been a rough two weeks but all will work out in time :)

I have a few more rough days to get through this month yet but i know JULY Will Be much better.
Yes still moving plants from my friends in the evening after it cools & mosquetos are out :(
right now it is getting to hot & muggy so will wait for cooler days .

while in town today I foud a cool gift for my partner so i hope to work on her box this week :)
happy gardening all
susie

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2011
9:20 AM

Post #8612689

Susie, ramble on, that is what we are hear for. You have lots of support here.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8612724

I'm here!!!
Sorry for not posting yesterday, real life took another curve!

Susie, love manifests.
Sad to read that your dad's wife denied her marital vows to be with him whether healthy or sick, rich or poor.
Your daddy will be hurting, but for now he is surrounded by true love, and that is you.
We'll pray that your dad be in a comfy state, and who knows, Margaret's conscience might return.

God Bless you, Susie.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8612740

Patti, I sure could use your pool today! Hot, hot, hot!!!

Joyce, I have too many acres, and with my ego when it comes to a garden, I had begged Kel to allot a few acres for a garden.
He said let's start with 1 first.
Now I am very happy that it stopped at 2!!! Stupid, stupid me.
Lord knows I won't be able to take care of the garden by myself, and he made me ill to open my eyes!!! Lolol.
Now I am struggling to weed just at 100' X 100'!!! And replacing plants that didn't make the winter or bad weather??? Forget it!!
God's streamlining my chores!!

Di, pictures please, please!! I'm very curious as to what your gift looks like. Go get batteries!!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8612967

heavenscape, the house sits on three acres and more surrounding it. I don't even do 1 acre...altho it seems I am trying. Years ago I watched one too many gardening programs. I went out and rented a sod stripper. I stripped the east side, the south side, and the west side of the house...forgetting you have to roll all that sod up and put it somewhere, and funniest thing it took longer than a commerical break! I don't know how they do all that in a commerical break! I waited on the crew to show up and then figured out they didn't come with sod stripper rental. DH took pity on me and started helping (he doesn't care what I do as long as he isn't involved...rofl, which for us works out, most of the time). Seems you have to roll all that stuff up to see if you missed any place before you take the stripper back...omg was that hard work! So 3 sides are all planted, the north is an earth berm, with some iris, and alot of weeds. I have never gotten around there to do anything, thank goodness no one sees it but some cows... Now I have beds on 3 sides of the garden room (which DH built me) and 2 raised concrete block beds...ok come to think of it I am crazy! So my plan is to weed the east side that everyone sees, then the south side, that close friends see, then the west side that only true gardener friends see...rofl.

muttlover
Quincy, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8613120

Happgarden - I love a plan like that! I still don't see how they build an entire house in 1 week on Extreme Makeover, when painting my porch takes all day. And I figure the real reason we have closets is to hide our quick clean-ups when guests are expected. (In my house you have to worry, though because occassionally you have a volunteer pet add themselves to the closet and then, when you hear the caterwauling you have to open the closet to let them out, thus revealing the contents to the guests.)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8613130

JUST WANTED TO FORE WARN MY PARTNER be on the lookout for two small boxes :)they were the smallest i could find anyway > findly talked daddy into going out of the house told him we would go for an ice cream cone & when we got to the dairy bar i ask him what he wanted he told me then ask how much & when i said $3.25 for an ice cream cone he said tell them to keep their cones we can buy a gal for that price I Told him not any more & I think he wanted to cry & said I bet the farmers don't make that much then all the way home & No he would not order an ice cream .. hehe we came home & I Have to settle for ice water :))

told him i was buying he said no way . think he cursed them all the way home . NOT OUT LOUD but he was fuming :) . anyway partner when i got home the list of plants is here on my desk along with the card , so as soon as you get the boxes open I;m sure you will know what they are but i will send you their given names :)))) as I know them
they say we have a change of hail this afternoon & high winds hasn't came in yet * hope it is all north or south of us .

happy gardening all .
susie
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2011
1:12 PM

Post #8613219

muttlove...LOL that is funny love the closet thing. I will give you another reason NOT to clean closets. A million years ago I lived in San Antonio and one day while at work, someone broke in and took our stuff...well almost all our stuff...rofl. The linen closet was such a mess they missed the most expensive thing we owned, (besides the stereo) a 35mm camera that XDH brought home from Japan...rofl. I swore then never to clean the closets...rofl.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8613297

Oh, sorry to hear your place got broken into! I hate the feeling of insecurity after that happens.
We now have guns in every room, and in the bedside tables! Anyone that tries to break in now, while we are home, will never leave walking...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 6, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8613426

Omg LindaKay, you've real guns.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8613433

That was soooo long ago. But it was a strange feeling. About 8 weeks after the first break-in we were broken into again, the police said well the bad guys figured we had replaced everything with the insurance money and had come back for the new stuff. Wellllllll...we tricked them, we were so young and stupid, no one, not even our parents had told us about renters insurance so we didn't have any, so when they came back there wasn't anything to take (the camera was still in the linen closet buried..rofl). So the joke was on them...they did take my rubber tree that go around, which took me about 3 weeks to figure out it was missing...SO the moral to the story DONT clean the closets... ;)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8613513

You better believe we have real guns! Would not be with out them!
Gosh, it happened twice? That is pretty sad!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 6, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8613550

Wow, don't think I've ever known someone who has real guns in the house...does it not terrify you?

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8613577

i have 12 guns in the house

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8613592

I would be terrified if I did not have them. I grew up with guns in the house, some for my Dad and brothers hunting, some for protection, and I will never be with out them. When we travel, we carry one as well.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 6, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8613614

Double yikes...I don't even lock my doors...can't find a key 1/2 the time, Lord knows what I'd do with a gun..

Are there. Lo of home invasions?

This message was edited Jun 6, 2011 6:07 PM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2011
7:22 PM

Post #8614124

Not many, but you never know! We had our house broken into a few years ago, nothing was taken than God! We just are prepared just in case!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8614181

Betty, it is a different situation here. I never felt in danger or untrusting of people when I was in Canada. I also grew up with guns in the house but then my Dad in his youth was a marksman for Winchester. As a child we never locked out house either but things have really changed over the years. Sad to say but it just "ain't" the same.
muttlover
Quincy, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8614278

I'm afraid that if I had a gun back when I didn't know the effect aspertame had on me I would have used it on myself on a bad day. But I have a friend who, unable to persuade me to get a gun, decided that what I really needed if someone was stupid enough to brave the 3 barking terriers was the sound of a shotgun being cocked. He says no one ever mistakes that sound. He hasn't gotten around to giving me a tape of that yet. Mostly the things that get stolen of mine is the yard art, and since I'm half a block from a university I figure that ends up as someone's idea of a prank.
lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 6, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8614306

yep we have three and a a security system!

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2011
9:05 PM

Post #8614381

We have a quite a few guns also...I ,myself have a loaded 9mm under my side of the bed !!!!!!!!

muttlover what does aspartame do to you ? I am allergic to it, it shuts down my kidneys !

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2011
5:11 AM

Post #8614832

Aspartame is evil! it gives me terrible headaches! Sorry to hear it works on your Kidney's Synda. That is not good at all!

Robynznest

Robynznest
Pittsburg, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2011
6:19 AM

Post #8614979

We have guns to, grew up with them in the house. Starting shooting them when I was 8 years old, Dad was a marksmen too for Winchester, mom should have been but didn't want the job. This is the first time (living in this house) in 30 years I have locked the house when we we leave, don't do it when I'm home though. The only reason we lock now is that it is a heavy tourist area in the summer, it will be quiet when winter comes, yeah!. Like you LK they break in they won't be walking out. I'm a good shot myself along with my DH. DH is also good at throwing rocks. He's a dead aim with one. Before his parents let him go hunting with a gun by himself he used to hunt with rocks and could bring home enough rabbits and squirrels to feed a family of 6.

We had a break in about 10 years ago at our shop, pretty much knew who did it and I walked out one day with the gun, the guy was standing about 20 yards from me and I shot a squirrel running across the yard with out taking a clear aim at him. Turned to the guy and told him it would happen to the next person that stole from us. He took off and never came back, he was dating the young girl next door. Turned out her parents were glad I did it cause the girl turned up pregnant by the guy. He still to this day has never helped with the kid.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 7, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8615001

I'm just in awe, guess it's something I never thought of...to hear you all having guns just boggles my mind..not in a bad way, please don't take it wrong, if someone had a gun here other than in a locked up cabinet with high security they'd be arrested immediately..

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8615041

I don't see the logic behind having to keep the locked. what are you going to do if someone breaks in, tell them to wait while you find the key, and unlock the cabinet?

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2011
7:10 AM

Post #8615087

Lately, with the increase of home invasions.. bodily harm... in this little town.. all due to the rise of drug addictions.. RELUCTANTLY... I am persuaded to posess a firearm.

Yes Marion is right, it ain't the same anymore.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 7, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8615184

I'm not so sure I'd want to be the person who would shoot someone here even IN a home invasion..me thinks you spend some time in jail..
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2011
9:18 AM

Post #8615392

Betty that was the only time anything like that ever happened. Gotta remarke I thought the crooks were pretty smart coming back when they thought insurance had paid off. Back (1970's) then in San Antonio the police told us that if they broke in between 9am and 2pm or something like that it was a lesser crime than if you broke in, in the evening. The police were hoping there wouldn't be anyone home so no one would be hurt.

On to a happier note...weather is suppose to break and we will have some cooler temps. I am going to get my buds stuff out to her while we are in a break.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8615404

I used to be the person who wouldn't hold any firearms. And like Marion's dad, my late dad was a marksman.
But I changed my mind since I don't feel safe anymore living in the boondocks. The cops won't be here within 5 minutes if I were to call them.
I've been advised if I were to shoot at anyone trespassing in my yard, give a warning shot.. then if that failed...shoot to kill and then drag the body back to my house.
That way, I won't be charged. :(
Even my pastor has firearms in his house. He says to trust in the Lord but also to protect oneself from all bad situations.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8615405

Here in Texas, we have the right to protect ourselves, family and property. If anyone even attempts to break in a home, we have the right to shoot to kill if needed, and no one will be charged with any crimes. We just can't shoot them in the back. Then it would look like they were running away, and that would not be self defense.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 7, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8615425

Truly amazing..we border the USA and yet I see such differences..just never think of these things...
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8615436

LOL Betty I have a friend from England who moved here, you can imagine his shock, since it hasn't been that long since their police started carrying fire arms.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 7, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8615630

I'm truly speechless and that takes a lot for me to be so!!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8615644

We too have firearms in our home. My XH use to laugh at me because I kept an 'unloaded' .22 shotgun by my bed, because we had small children. I said 'well, if they get by the dogs, don't you think they would think twice when they saw a nervous woman with a gun pointed at them'? Don't think they would stop and say (insert stupid voice here)'gee, wonder if it's loaded'. And if they kept coming, I could always hit them with the barrell. lol
We never locked our house out in the country when my kids were growing up. Well, when their dad was out of town we would lock up at night. Now, we not only have firearms but also a security system.

Yup, times they are a'changin'
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8616519

Hellooooooooooooooo, It's Red, White and Blue time! LOL, Someone watch your mail.
Now you dear ladies, do be careful with all those fire arms. I love mine. I have a collector rifle that has never been fired. And I still have the head shooting rifle. In my younger years I did quite abit of Squirrel hunting. I was taught (and believed) that I should only shoot a Squirrel in the head. LOL, boy did I get good! O well, another has been for me.

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8616814

Well I grew up around guns...never thought twice about it . As young people we were taught gun safety and how to hunt . Rick took Ryan out to just learn target practice and the proper way to handle a gun when he was 10 .In the fall we have what is called Turkey Shoots,you go shoot at a small slip of paper w/ a target on it so (x) many yards away and the one closest wins (meat , cheese,money, and other prizes).

Thumbnail by synda

muttlover
Quincy, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8616900

The only time I fired a gun I have to admit it was a lot of fun. I took the Citizens Police Academy class and they took us out and let us shoot. I shot a Glock and another semi-automatic rifle. My Dad had guns and loved to hunt, but he had to give it up. When I was about 12 he came home with a pheasant and his kids were so upset that he had killed such a beautiful bird he ended up lying about it and telling us he had found it dying on the side of the road and he had tried unsuccessfully to save it.
muttlover
Quincy, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8616904

As for aspartame, according to several diabetic sites, supposedly only about 1% of the population is "sensitive" to it, and they have some kind of disorder. But when I read that it makes my blood boil. I know more people who have problems with it than who don't. When I didn't know I couldn't handle it, I would get horrible horrible headaches (worse than migraines) and would get so depressed I'd fantasize about ways to commit suicide. My brother in law (a doctor) suggested I give it up for a month and see if any of my symptoms got better - and they went entirely away.

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2011
9:37 PM

Post #8616927

I worked as a Corrections Officer at the Sheriff's Office before and after I had Ryan , and around here as long as someone is in your home and you " feel " threatened you have every right to shoot them ! With growing up on a farm you learned that animals dying was a part of life's cycle (but it was often sad) !
When Ryan even chews gum with aspartame in it he gets sores in his mouth. My step dad was drinking tea with it in and his blood sugar went up ,he is not a diabetic, he stopped and went back to the kind w/ sugar in it and his blood sugar went down.

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2011
8:27 AM

Post #8617675

in alabama we have the right to protect our home, property, animals and our selves. the sherrif came and told the neighbor next time his pitbull was in my yard i was going to shoot it. the nieghbor said he paid 1,000 dollars for the dog, and the sherrif said that he better protect his investment and put him on a chain behind a fence which is the law for pit bulls in alabama

Samigal

Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 8, 2011

Post #8618396

I don't know why anyone wants to own a pitbull when they are causing harm most of the time. I love animals, but not too keen on becoming friends with that breed.
We have to keep dogs on a leash unless it is in our own yard. I have to watch my two as both of them are runners if they get out. Just got them groomed yesterday and neither one is too happy about it, but my schnauzer was so matted up and she just wouldn't let me cut her "dread locks" off.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2011

Post #8618399

Would love to see your babies!

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8619939

i keep both my babies hair cut. they refuse to let me brush them, so they go for grooming about 5 times a year

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2011
9:06 AM

Post #8619993

Waiting for pictures!!!

Oh... Cindy.. don't you need to visit your mama soon, before the 18th?

Di.. I'm curious as to what Sis Kathy sent you. She's always a wise shopper.

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2011
9:10 AM

Post #8620007

can't take pics. cuz my babies are dirty, and i'm to lazy to bath them. maybe i'll drop them at the vets tomorrow for baths

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 9, 2011
9:23 AM

Post #8620045

LOL yes Jaye I am, tomorrow ^_^. She called me to tell me fish ponds need to be cleaned ugh :(. So going up there to do that, collect some flower pot and...

See what goodies I received from Betty!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8620404

Hey everyone! I got the biggest box of goodies from Faye today! Wow, I just kept pulling things from the box, so let me start with a couple of candle holders, red white and blue of course...
And don't go too far, as there are more pictures to follow...

Thumbnail by taters55

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8620409

And then there was a beautiful table runner... Now I will have to get out the duster, and dust the table... LOL!

Thumbnail by taters55

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8620411

And next is a very pretty flag. Looks like it is a garden flag? Not for sure? I may use it for a placemat, it is so pretty!

Thumbnail by taters55

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8620415

And then there is a very nice 1976 patriotic calendar. My son was born is 76.

Thumbnail by taters55

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8620418

And next up is a 6 foot flag banner, candles to go into the holders, and a really nice 3-D metal Welcome garden flag!

Thumbnail by taters55

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8620421

And last but not least is the perfect little blonde haired, blue eyed baby doll, that is just so precious! Another wooden garden sign, and more candles...
Faye, thank you so much for all the wonderful pressies! I love each one of them!

Thumbnail by taters55

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8620445

WOW Linda Kay you hit the Jackpot !!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job Faye , a toast to you !!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by synda

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 9, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8620447

My goodness LindaKay, you are going to have to have a garage sale for all your belonging just so you can make room for all the pretties..yikes, that was quite a box..can see you smilling from here..

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

June 9, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8620491

Wow!! Faye, you did great.
Linda Kay, You sure got a lot of really neat RWB goodies.

Love the table runner and isn't that cool to get a 1976 Calander, just the year your son was born, bet it was great memories when you saw that...Aw heck I love it all.

purpbutfly

purpbutfly
(Cindy) Marysville, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 9, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8620526

WHOO HOOO finished my RW&B shopping. Making a RW&B candle for my buddy then will get it all packed and mailed tomorrow YIPPIEEEE.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8620579

My box went out today, so watch your mailboxes for delivery next week please?

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011

Post #8620611

Hey Cindy ...That candle is for me Right !!!!!!!!!! LOL , I can only hope ~

Thumbnail by synda

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8620668

Wowzer what a box and you all are all so busy getting them ready to go out! Beautiful stuff!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8620738

Susie, you have done it again! Not one but two boxes stuffed full arrived today.

First are Red, White and Blue perennials...
White Dicentra "Bleeding Heart", my only one and it is a beauty :)
Blue Scabiosa "Pincushion" plant (you had no idea I'd lost mine)
Blue and White Iris I smelled right away.
Help me out with the plant with Red "fireworks" blooms please? Thought maybe it's a Primula but am not sure.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8620745

The backdrop for the second box is a RWB Beach towel included that looks like a huge bandana. It has Paisleys among the print, my fav design.
Also received a White bar mop and 3-pack of kitchen towels with Stars.
And there's three more perennials...a White Dianthus (my only one), a Daylily clump and a Coneflower posing in my new pretty Patriotic basket.

All are welcome treats and plants you know I'll treasure, Susie!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8620754

Wow, look at those beauties. Looks like younwill enjoy them form years to come! Nice job Susie!
janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8620818

I probably received the very first gifts but was unawares that it was in my house the whole time! I received a huge box from Kathy - jordankittyjo - and it had the most wonderful gifts. My son had put it out in the garage when it arrived and forgot to say something to me about it. I found it after Jaye had sent me a note and then the camera batteries died so I went to charge them then found out the charger died. So Kathy, I am finally here to show these beautiful gifts and let everyone see what a lucky girl I am. First, in front you can see a rwb wreath and it surrounds a hurricane globe. DH is stopping by the candle place tomorrow and picking up a navy candle that will fit perfectly and we are going to leave it on the table in the screen room for our July 4th party. Then...oh my...the birdhouses. Durn, I love birdhouses and I have the perfect place for these too. The one on the left is actually a butterfly house and it has a rope hanger. The one on the right is a birdie condo and just adorable -check out that white picket fence. Both houses have clean-outs in the back and they will hang easily. I might just have to keep one inside though - they are just too pretty to weather outside. Thanks so much, Kathy - I love everything! I'm sure sorry it took so long to get my picture on here.

Thumbnail by janaestone

janaestone
(Di) Seven Mile, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8620824

Nice gifts, Fruity and LK. I think we're all pretty lucky so far on this swap!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 9, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8620832

Wowed by the RWB..now I know why it's my favorite swap.
Birdies are just going to love their new home!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8620847

SUSAN : The ones in the Basket Box # 2 was " RED HOT POKER" & " RED BUTTERFLY BUSH " With the WHITE DIANTHUS> NO Daylilies this trip . I'm sorry for the cards for the boxes did not get into the boxes FORGIVE ME PLEASE . I also forgot the Blue Navaho Butterfly Bush or it blue knight can remember.

wish i had room for more :) HEHE happy gardening girl & enjoy .

susie
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8621046

Wonderful, wonderful boxes everyon! ! !

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8621120

Di, love the hurricane lamp with wreath, and those birdhouses are so adorable! Very nice gifts Kathy!

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2011
7:36 PM

Post #8621207

Fruit ,What lovely plants ,you lucky girl ,every one of them are my favorites ...Greatly done Susie !!!!!!!!

Di ,I can't even pick which would be my favorite thing ,they are all glorious ! Way to go Kathy !!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by synda

lizrainey
San Mateo, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 10, 2011
3:10 AM

Post #8621591

wow look at the wonderful boxes!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2011
4:11 AM

Post #8621634

Have been working on gathering things for my buddy, but not quite ready to send yet. Be patient with me buddy!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8621718

Awesome, awesome, awesome, perfectly patriotically AWESOME!!!
I can never, never guess what you all will be getting.. even those that want plants ^_^ It makes my heart happy that you all strive to make your buddy happy.

Not one item I don't covet!!!! He he he!!!
I'm seeing LK and Susan smiling away. If I knew sensitive LK well, she had tears when she arranged Faye's goodies, especially when she laid out that calendar. What a precious, precious gift, Faye.

And you Susan, you must beaming away as though you won million $$$. More gems for your garden, which I imagine Eden would be like.
You did well Susie, plus you sent non-perennials!! And Susan can certainly use that towel to lay on the beach with. She won't have to lay out her DH's shirt!

Di, seems to us, you are truly surprised with the quality of gifts you got from Sis Kathy. Lolol.. welcome to this group of wonderful swappers! You can start collecting for next year too!
Bird and houses are always a welcome addition to any gardens, especially strikingly beautiful patriotic ones.

Yes Judy, I love them all!

Time to make a new rooom!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8621747

New room ladies.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1188758/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1188758/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America