Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: What is the best fertilizer and how often?

Communities > Forums > Amaryllis and Hippeastrums
bookmark
Forum: Amaryllis and HippeastrumsReplies: 5, Views: 131
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8587358

I want to fertilizer for Amaryllis? I have bone meal and miracle grow. Can I use both?

Thanks for any advise.
haweha
Solingen
Germany
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8587957

Fertilizer with ratios of N:P:K [the actual meaning being N : P calculated as P2O5 : K calculated as K2O]
of 2:1:2 give fabulous results. I apply a liquid brand namely "Substral-Pflanzennahrung" the macronutritient contents and ratio(s) respectively being
6:3:6. For "hard" water (=rich in Calcium, Magnesium, Sulphate) ad 1 to 1.5 mL per L of lukewarm water and for "soft" water (=lesser salt freight ) that I now lukkily have, 0.7 mL/L yes with EVERY water administration. This equals to an addition of 0.2 to 0.4 g/L fertilizer salts per Liter and this is safe for all purposes even (EXCEPT for certain orchids and for MOOR plants)
Previously I perceived that the American fertilizers are too rich in Phosphorus, and relations of 1:1:1 are nothing uncommon, for example in a SOLID fertilizer of 20:20:20. Phosphorus is trapped by the substrate - cannot be washed out - and this might on the lomg term lead to a detrimental enrichment of this macrionutrienmt in the substrate.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

May 27, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8591780

Use an orchid fertilizer. The 2nd number will be higher than the first and 3rd number. Dilute it 1/4 strength and use it at every watering. Don't over think this. It's not rocket science! Make sure it gets the right amount of Sunlight.
joanlc
Perham, MN
(Zone 3b)

November 21, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8899737

Regarding fertilizer formulation - I find Haweha's advice interesting. I grew up with the advice that fertilizers in the proportion of 1-2-1 were to be preferred, for flowering/fruiting plants, and particularly for bulbs. I was taught that a higher N number would lead to too much green growth, and less stem/flower/root production. And when learning about spring bulb planting many years ago, one reference I turned to said to be sure and put bone meal down in spring and fall, to keep phosphorus available for strong bulb growth, as it takes time for P to work its way through the soil to the bulbs' root zones. Furthermore, the usual Miracle-Gro formula, for the water-soluble granules, used to be 15-30-15. That standard formula seems to have been revised; Miracle-Gro "All-Purpose" liquid concentrate is now formulated at 12-4-8 - closer to Haweha's recommended proportions. Similar proportions obtain in a couple of slow-release pelleted fertilizers I use. I am wondering if the conventional wisdom has been revised. Anyone else noticed this?

I think I'm going to do a little research about fertilizer formulas in general.

Joan

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

November 21, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8899751

How funny this thread popped up today just when I gave my Amaryllis a shot of Bone Meal. Can you give too much Bone Meal? I just sprinkled and did not measure so I am curious if I can over do.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8901738

my experience with fertilizing ..all of my various plants..is knowing the N:P:K numbers..
and knowing what the specific plant needs..i fertilize my bananas differently than tomatoes,roses,other
tropical plants..
ive had great sucess fertilizing my amaryllis bulbs with a 1:2:1 fertilizer..
so whether its 4:8:4 ... 6:12:6 ... 10:20:10 its the same ratio just how much fertilizer is in it..
i had all my amaryllis bulbs outside this summer..they got really big..and bloomed mid august..YEA
i use a rabbit manure tea on all my plants with my other specific fertilizing..
wouldnt recommend using manure tea in the house though.. LOL
good luck to you.. :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Amaryllis and Hippeastrums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hippeastrum johnsonii Lenjo 9 Oct 31, 2008 9:15 PM
Amaryllis question JoleneS 15 Nov 30, 2007 7:35 AM
Hippeastrum papilio x evansiae seedlings rrog2001 16 Feb 23, 2012 7:47 PM
Mexican AMARYLLIS Sprekelia Riverland 17 May 20, 2007 7:21 PM
Red Staining in Hippeastrums an anti-fungal? raydio 21 Dec 20, 2007 3:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America