Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Soil and Composting: quick fix (is there no such thing) for Nitrogen deficiency

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 3, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LeroyWhite
Fall River, MA

May 26, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8588144

I'm looking to till a new garden plot this weekend and my soil test shows that there is very little Nitrogen in the soil. I'm wondering what would be the best thing to add (and how much of it) to bring the Nitrogen level up. P and K look good. I'm all for composting, but having just moved into the house last year, I don't have any of my own.

So, yes, I'm looking for a quick fix for the lack of Nitrogen (I've got tomatoes that are ready to go in the ground). Compost? Urea? How much? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
7:18 AM

Post #8588176

Try blood meal - follow directions on the package.
PuddlePirate
North Ridgeville, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2011
12:20 PM

Post #8588783

An effective and inexpensive choice is alfalfa meal (which also has valuable trace minerals), but the cheapest nitrogen boost is probably kitchen scraps (especially fruits & vegetables) blended to mush and poured into a hole next to the plant. See http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1182911/ for an ongoing kitchen scraps discussion, and http://compost.css.cornell.edu/OnFarmHandbook/apa.taba1.html for a list of raw materials for composting that has a handy column for nitrogen percentage by dry weight.

I must offer a warning, though. I've discovered the hard way that overdoing the nitrogen-rich soil amendments can cause problems: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1976/

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8630619

I've seen warnings to NOT pace urea near sprouting seeds, and in any event to stay under 10 pounds per acre unless you can count on at least 1/4" of rain within a day or so 9and even then, stay under 20 pounds per acre).

On the other hand, I read one source that was considering adding 100 pounds per acre in one shot, since he expected somee crop to pull that much out.

Personally, even on established lawn, shurbs and trees, I spread it very thinly and several times per year to avoid burning: a 50-pound bag lasted me more than two years on about one acre.

Some advice that I think is sound:

Spread thinly to avoid burning.
Water it in to prevent loss due to turning into ammonia.
Don't apply before heavy rain: it is soluble and could wash right out.
Apply frequently and lightly, ratjher than in one heavy dose.

Best of all it to till it under during application, to get it into the soil.

The advatage is that it is cheap and concentrated: a 50-pound bag of 45-0-0 has more N than TWO TONS of compost that has 0.5% N.

On the other hand, your soil might need the 3,955 pounds of organic matter in that compoost even more than it needs the Nitrogen!

I would urge applying all the compost you can afford and haul to a new garden plot. Till it in with a little generic chemical fertilizer, whatever is handy.

Then, frequent light applications of any cheap high-N chemical fertilizer for the first few years, until you get a soil test that shows 'adequate' N for low-intensity gardening.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America