SOLVED: Tiny iris like plant?

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

This is the first of a few I am trying to identify. We recently purchased a house, and the previous owner was an avid gardener. As the weather SLOWLY and painfully warms up here in Seattle I keep having new little treasures pop up. This first one is a tiny iris like plant/
grows in full sun
approx 2" tall

Thumbnail by HydroPinke
Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

one more pic for size.

Thumbnail by HydroPinke
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Doesn't look like iris to me, but does look like you will find out soon by the buds you have coming up! Post a picture of the bloom when it does and someone will give a positive id I'm sure.

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know.... looks very much like my baby Irises (offshoots).
If they're just emerging, I'd say it's highly possible.
I can post a picture of my "baby Iris" too, for comparison.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Good point--I had assumed that was all the taller they were going to get when I made my suggestion (Sisyrinchium is in the iris family so they will look similar but don't get nearly as big)

hate to say it, but seeing the bulb or rhizome would surely be helpful!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

If they're miniature bearded irises, you should see small rhizomes like regular bearded irises make. If you'll uneather the rhizome a bit, that might prove that it's a mini iris. I have some that only get about 4-6 inches tall and I love them. But they're like regular bearded irises and don't like to have the rhizomes covered. So if that's what they are, you'll need to uncover the rhizomes to prevent rot.

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4a)

Can see a flower bud in picture - too much like a iris. Have to omit Iris cristata and maybe Japanese Roof Iris.

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4a)

But then again after highlight the bud I notice another newer one and it doesn't really look like a iris.

Thumbnail by Malus2006
Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

It could still be a Sisyrinchium. S. californicum would be native for the area and the foliage looks very much like the S. californicum, Yellowstone, that I have in my garden. Mine has just finished it's spring bloom but if this is not solved I will get out and take a photo when the rain stops.
Alana

Sorry, These photos are not very clear with my little point and shoot camera, but perhaps you can get an idea.

Sisyrinchium californicum, Yellowstone

Thumbnail by poisondartfrog

Another.

Thumbnail by poisondartfrog
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I would bet that is the same as yours Alana, as ecrane said earlier definately same family. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49958/

Look forward to seeing your blooms Hydro.

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

I'll keep you posted.

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Iris setosa maybe? Dwarf alaskan iris.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53488/

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4a)

I have Dwarf Iris setosa like this picture and they are more grass like with thinner leaves.
http://www.growsonyou.com/photo/slideshow/202802-iris-setosa-dwarf-form/all

Im pretty sure its a Sisyrinchium species - I had been fooled before by Sisyrinchium species on DavesGarden Plant ID, mostly western US species that look strongly like some iris species.

Burien, WA(Zone 7b)

Blooming! Sisyrinchium californicum is my verdict. Thanks for all your input.

Thumbnail by HydroPinke

beautiful!!! how rewarding for you ;-)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Wow. I was sure it was an iris.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's in the iris family, so you weren't that far off.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.