Photo by Melody

High Yield Gardening: Raised bed questions (rabbit guard fence)

Communities > Forums > High Yield Gardening
bookmark
Forum: High Yield GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MandyRose
Carrollton, TX

May 26, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8588994

I started gardening this year for the first time, and started off with a 4'x4' raised bed kit that I got at Home Depot. It's around 7" high, and I was worried that the local bunnies might be able to get in and eat everything. So my hubby and I installed some rabbit guard fencing around the raised bed, and it's kept the bunnies out.

However, the fencing has made it difficult for me to get into my garden and do weeding, etc. Not only do I have to bend over to get into the garden, but I have to bend over the fence - and it's not easy!

Should I get a second raised bed kit, and stack it on top of the existing one? That would put the height at 14" - is that enough to keep bunnies out? Would I still need the fence?

Or should I move the fence away from the edges of the raised bed, would that help at all? Currently the fence is right along the edges of the raised bed.

I'm very new to all this, and would appreciate any advice, thanks! :)

This message was edited May 26, 2011 4:28 PM
Mountaindweller
Dolan Springs, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2011
9:01 PM

Post #8589870

I would suggest the second raised bed kit, simply because many vegetables need a foot of root space. And for your bunny fence, if you have enough fencing it would be best to move it away. Give yourself maybe two feet of moving room. That means the total enclosure would be something like 8x8. Can you step over the fence easily? Maybe just putting in a little gate would be better.
Hope you are enjoying your first garden:>)
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

May 27, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8591758

Making it a little higher won't keep them out. Just make one side of the bed easy to get into. For instance on one side use cloths pins or something that would make it easy to OPEN that one side so you can work in the bed. I use deer fencing. It's nylon and I use cloths pins to "hinge" it to the chicken wire on the 2 sides. My problem is deer and woodchucks.
MandyRose
Carrollton, TX

May 31, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8598796

[quote="tommyr2006"]Making it a little higher won't keep them out. Just make one side of the bed easy to get into. For instance on one side use cloths pins or something that would make it easy to OPEN that one side so you can work in the bed. I use deer fencing. It's nylon and I use cloths pins to "hinge" it to the chicken wire on the 2 sides. My problem is deer and woodchucks. [/quote]

That's a really good idea, thanks! :)
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 16, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8696336

Tommyr2006 - We have raised beds and have gone to enclosing them in a cage made of wire fencing and a PVC pipe frame. If there was something easier to use out there that was just as effective then we would switch. How does the deer fencing work with the woodchucks?
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

July 17, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8697259

We have woodchucks here but they (so far) have not bothered my veggies. They seem to like dandelions more than anything. The house behind mine put in a new shed and the chucks immediately moved in under the shed. So they're not coming up to my back patio as in the past right now.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other High Yield Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant spacing jkehl 25 Apr 26, 2011 11:01 AM
How can you tell if you have enough space? sowersjoy 12 Mar 5, 2007 2:32 PM
Designing Raised Beds for Veggies CultivatingKate 24 Mar 25, 2013 1:20 PM
Container growing vs. raised bed growing yields silverglow 63 Dec 1, 2011 7:34 PM
Square Foot Gardening (SFG) construction pics 1_Lucky_Texan 55 May 20, 2013 7:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America