Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Begonias: Growing B & L tuberous begonias.

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 4, Views: 130
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8589656

I wanted to share the progress my tuberous begonias from Blackmore and Langdon. I planted these tubers on April 2, 2011, as soon as I recieved them from B&L. 13 of the 16 have sprouted the 14th has some early growth, and the last two have no growth yet. The tubers were potted in Farfard Complete Potting Mix, mixed with Perlite to lighten the soil.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8589678

I repotted most of them this past week, since the smaller pots were filled with roots. I was surprised to find that Saturn already has a flower bud. I keep the plants on the deck under netting to prevent them from being troubled by chipmunks that have a tendency to ravage to plants on my deck as they are looking for bulbs. I've also been spraying the plants with Immunox Plus Insect and Disease control. They have a nice healthy color, and no problems so far. I'm really excited to see some blooms this summer.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8590566

Very nice, I have never had much luck starting them. I always buy them and put them in a few hanging baskets and they do beautifully but for some reason starting them properly has eluded me. I know what you mean about the chipmunks, they just attack my begonias. They not only dig in the pots but they just break off a stem or bite into a rhizome. I am starting to put mine outside today and I am afraid what I will find in the next couple of days. I wish I could relocate some of them,( the chipmunks)
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8591645

Try the netting, I bought it at Lowes. You can see it in the bottom left of my picture. It's worked well to keep the culprits off the plants and tubers. The chipmunks drive me crazy, but they're so cute.
Shifty
Rochester, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8593361

I am going to try that tomorrow. Today I found several stems of my begonias just bitten off and lying on the ground. I will try the netting but still may need to relocate a few. They are very cute and I would hate to have none, but this year I have WAY too many.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America