Growing B & L tuberous begonias.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I wanted to share the progress my tuberous begonias from Blackmore and Langdon. I planted these tubers on April 2, 2011, as soon as I recieved them from B&L. 13 of the 16 have sprouted the 14th has some early growth, and the last two have no growth yet. The tubers were potted in Farfard Complete Potting Mix, mixed with Perlite to lighten the soil.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I repotted most of them this past week, since the smaller pots were filled with roots. I was surprised to find that Saturn already has a flower bud. I keep the plants on the deck under netting to prevent them from being troubled by chipmunks that have a tendency to ravage to plants on my deck as they are looking for bulbs. I've also been spraying the plants with Immunox Plus Insect and Disease control. They have a nice healthy color, and no problems so far. I'm really excited to see some blooms this summer.

Thumbnail by Cem9165
Rochester, NY(Zone 5b)

Very nice, I have never had much luck starting them. I always buy them and put them in a few hanging baskets and they do beautifully but for some reason starting them properly has eluded me. I know what you mean about the chipmunks, they just attack my begonias. They not only dig in the pots but they just break off a stem or bite into a rhizome. I am starting to put mine outside today and I am afraid what I will find in the next couple of days. I wish I could relocate some of them,( the chipmunks)

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Try the netting, I bought it at Lowes. You can see it in the bottom left of my picture. It's worked well to keep the culprits off the plants and tubers. The chipmunks drive me crazy, but they're so cute.

Rochester, NY(Zone 5b)

I am going to try that tomorrow. Today I found several stems of my begonias just bitten off and lying on the ground. I will try the netting but still may need to relocate a few. They are very cute and I would hate to have none, but this year I have WAY too many.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.