Photo by Melody

Fragrant Gardening: Whats wrong with my gardenia?

Communities > Forums > Fragrant Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Fragrant GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Googlie4gardens
Victorville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2011
10:27 PM

Post #8589969

I bought 2 gardenia plants from lowes last year and I think they're dying. I assumed I could nurse them back to a healthier life but apparently not. They have had all these issues since I bought them but no where near as bad. Besides the plant not really growing or flowering, it has several things going on with it.. It has white spots (not powdery), yellow spots, brown spots, curling leaves. Some leaves are turning yellow from the middle outward, some are starting at the edge. The picture I have posted is a leave that has most of the things im talking about on it.

Can someone please give me some ideas as to what may be going on with my gardenias? I'd really hate to have to pull them up and return them.

Thumbnail by Googlie4gardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8590467

The white spots sort of look like sunburn. I would also check the underside of the leaves for spider mites--I can see a stippled yellow pattern which is often a sign of a mite infestation. The curling leaves could also be a symptom of that.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2011
9:30 AM

Post #8592704

You may also want to check the pH. My Gardenia was yellowing because the soil pH was too high. Once I acidified the soil, it began to improve.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Fragrant Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Are there any easy Gardenias? Heavinscent 56 Jan 25, 2012 8:53 PM
Your most fragrant plants by ranking Heavinscent 201 Aug 28, 2008 11:34 PM
Most Fragrant Petunias... zville123 41 Jul 31, 2014 3:55 PM
Fragrant Iris List violabird 8 Jan 19, 2008 3:38 PM
Michelia alba lovetropics 77 Sep 22, 2008 5:01 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America