Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Sustainable Alternatives: There might be "meat glue" in that steak!

Communities > Forums > Sustainable Alternatives
bookmark
Forum: Sustainable AlternativesReplies: 22, Views: 179
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2011
9:45 AM

Post #8590702

http://www.cornucopia.org/2011/05/meat-glue-turns-scraps-into-prime-cuts-of-meat/#more-3987

What will they adulterate our food with next?!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2011
9:49 AM

Post #8590714

Besides being gross, it infuriates me that they can pass off scraps as 'prime cuts'. Where is the truth in labeling?

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 27, 2011
10:28 AM

Post #8590789

Boy, people will believe anything that is printed!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8590808

Really?

How about a video showing how meat glue is used?

http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=have_you_heard_of_meat_glue
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8590876

Bernie, this stuff isn't really that new. It's just been getting more press lately. Think chicken mcnuggets or crab with a "K". But it's easy to avoid that stuff if your so inclined. However, it's available to the public and chefs now as well. Because it's derived from meat, that is somehow suppose to make it all right? I'm passing on it! lol

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 27, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8590978

I would expect the first place it goes is to school lunch programs.

I had nothing to do the other day, so Googled Cage Free Chickens. There was a whole bunch of photos. Their idea of cage free is way different then mine. Laying hens packed in a building so thick they can't hardly move. And then people pay a premium for "Cage Free" eggs at the big box stores. They got everybody bamboozled!
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8591297

Bernie, Run before you get henpecked!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8591404

It probably is the food lunches. At my kids school they serve 'chicken rings', now what part of a chicken is in ring form?...don't answer that.lol

Bamboozled, is the perfect word. I'm getting so sick of it. Tonight on the news they said 1/3 of all fish is not labeled correctly. Some of it can cause heath problems for people. They sell catfish and like fish at grouper and swordfish prices... greed and deception.

There is always going to be a market for all types of foods. But deceptive label practices reduce the value of hard working farmers, ranchers, and fishermen's goods.

dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8599869

Accountability has been purchased. The food industry pays for the regulators' decisions. What can you count on? Certainly you can count on a higher price bringing you the corresonding label on the package.

Things were better when eating organic made you a social outcast.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2011
9:04 AM

Post #8655486

Wow, just now coming across this thread. Thanks for the heads up, Honeybee. I had no idea.

Guess I'm lucky that I eat lots of home butchered chicken, deer, and other meats by some of my farmer friends.

Sheesh, what next, eh?

Shoe

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 26, 2011
9:27 AM

Post #8655519

I am tired of people trying to mis credit farmers & their products.
Who is Kelsey Murry ?
Why not a link to "the report" he is quoting ?

I worked in a chicken processing plant & no "Meat glue" was used there. The only foreign matter in the meat was some razor blades in turkey meat that came from, of all places, North Carolina.

My wife uses "meat glue" to hold together burgers & meat loaf. They are called "eggs".
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8655618

Bernie, it didn't look to me like the article or the video was discrediting farmers but rather some butchers, processors, and chefs/restaurants.

I think I'll show this video to some of my meat raiser friends so they can boast at the mkt "no meat glue used on our products". Especially if this hits the airwaves in full force people will finally be asking that question.

"My wife uses "meat glue" to hold together burgers & meat loaf. They are called "eggs"."

Heheheh, I do that too! Works for me.

Shoe (always surprised these types of things are banned in the EU but are shoved under the table in the US)

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8655891

"I am tired of people trying to mis credit farmers & their products"

No, I think more credit should be given to them. It's large agribusinesses and CAFO's (concentrated animal feed operations) I choose not to support.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8655898

No one is casting aspersions on small farms; they are often wonderful sources of sensibly-grown food! Look at CSAs.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 26, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8656640

I still say that article needs some credibility.
To many people writing something they think is going on that is not actually happening.
It hurts farmers because people will quit buying. Look at what happened with the tomatoes, peppers, & other scares the last few years.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2011
1:48 AM

Post #8656976

It makes me want to do all of my buying locally instead of @ the superstores☺ I know that if I buy it from an area farmer that it isn't going to be mystery meat shaped into attractive cuts.
DiggerDee
Ffld County, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 28, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8660079

If anything, this would help farmers - people will want to buy more local, less-processed foods and most likely turn to their local family farmer instead of buying at the huge supermarkets.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 7, 2011
6:24 AM

Post #8879898

I tried to go to the "meat glue" video and it says "no longer available".
MrPappyG
Glassboro, NJ

December 11, 2011
12:23 AM

Post #8924641

I just found this, OMG, if you think what you are stating here is bad, there's a lot you haven't seen, want some link's on CAFO's and Degenerate corporate Farmer's I have a list of them,
The Problem start's with Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas/ ex employee of Monsanto appointed by Republitard President Bush, then it goes to Deputy Commissioner of the FDA Michael Taylor/ ex Legal Advisor of Monsanto/ and continue's on through the USDA, DEP, EPA... all appointed by Bush. the problem is they are all ex Employees of Monsanto/BASF/ and other Biotech Corporations that are killing us and our Country.
I have been tiptoeing here on DG's, trying to engage other's in Gardening techniques and had no idea of this, and I embrace it, we need change. my e-mail is mrpappyg@gmail.com feel free to exchange Idea's, I have been fighting all of this for the last two Years. I have stopped eating this for the last four year's... what's Odd no one in my family has been sick since.
MrPappyG
Glassboro, NJ

December 11, 2011
12:38 AM

Post #8924646

I'm Lucky, I get my Milk from a local Amish market, and cream with which I make Butter or Ice Cream, I have a Breadmaker, a juicer, a commercial blender and grow as much as I can to make us self sustainable, I have a local Organic free range Black Angus cattle raiser that I know, another farmer close by for free range chickens, and we are still getting overrun by Monsanto. They make the Local Farmer's sign contract's they can't get out of, and cost them too much to even raise crops, most of the local's are selling their Farm's and heading to South Carolina where it's no better, Stop GMO's, If I could I'd Build a Compound ,a Biosphere. BTW Monsanto just bought it's first Public Seed Distributor, it supplies 40% of Home Gardener's. OK I'll stop here , if anyone would like some link's or more info feel free to e-mail me. One more thing, MONSANTO IS BANNED IN MEXICO. and 17 OTHER EURO NATIONS.
MrPappyG
Glassboro, NJ

December 11, 2011
12:42 AM

Post #8924647

Cyberageous, if you need Links I have them.
MrPappyG
Glassboro, NJ

December 11, 2011
12:51 AM

Post #8924651

http://www.dailyspark.com/blogs_author_view_all.asp?author=91473 this is the one your looking for about Meat Glue, that's nothing...
MrPappyG
Glassboro, NJ

December 11, 2011
12:53 AM

Post #8924652

OK I'll Probably get banned but remember I work in a restaurant 12 hours a day, and see what your Fed, what you feed your children, and your Parent's, believe me rethink your Diet.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sustainable Alternatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the sustainable alternatives discussion forum! dave 136 May 17, 2012 9:36 PM
Do you have green roofs in your city? frostweed 45 Apr 26, 2011 9:19 AM
First post! Home made organic fertilizer renwings 76 Mar 22, 2012 1:21 PM
Permaculture? darius 234 Mar 22, 2008 11:13 PM
Anyone use rainwater or grey water? spot8907 151 Jul 22, 2013 5:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America