-
AuthorContent
bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2011
10:14 PM

Post #8592065

I'm so sad :( Some of my fuchsias are looking, well, almost dead. They are looking dried up, shriveling, gasping...Some are okay so far. I've planted them in different locations to see what they can tolerate in Houston. Are there any insects that could be killing them? Here is a pic of one that is dying, planted in full sun.

Thumbnail by bariolio
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2011
10:18 PM

Post #8592073

Here's my beautiful Blue Eyes :( It's planted in a more shady spot.

Thumbnail by bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8592077

And this is another, next to Blue Eyes. If you can tell from pictures what is wrong, please let me know if I can save them! Thanks! Janet

Thumbnail by bariolio

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8594626

Against a brick wall in full sun might be to much heat. Put them in the shade and take off the old dry leaves, pinch back a bit and water well. Chances are they will snap back. Only the hardy fuchsia can take full sun and they also will suffer if it get really hot.
bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2011
7:20 AM

Post #8596442

I did that before I read this post! I also sprayed with neem oil in case it is a buggie, which it may be, or fungus? So I either finished killing them or they may come back. The thing is that they are planted in different places, some in full sun, some in part or full shade and all of the have done this or are infected. I guess it WAS an experiment to see if they'd grow in Houston... I'll report back with an update... Janet
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2011
6:07 PM

Post #8597907

What are those other two shrubs in the pictures?
bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8597937

The first picture has Purple Bottlebrush Callistemon rugulosus 'Violaceus', that I bought 6 of from The Desert Northwest.
The second picture has the bottom of Salvia 'Mystic Spires Blue'; and the third picture has Azalea Rhododendron 'Red Ruffles'.

Thumbnail by bariolio

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8599733

I thought they looked like rhodies but didn't know you could grow them in Texas. Neat.
bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 31, 2011
4:25 PM

Post #8599928

Very definitely can grow here and all along the Gulf Coast. The full size azaleas do well, even in the sun. I put my semi dwarfs in part shade and they do well. When we moved into this house, the builders had planted azalea "trees" in the front beds, in full scorching sun. They croaked, even though I transplanted them to the back. In Louisiana where I am from, lots of people plant Bridal Wreath Spiraea Spiraea prunifolia alternately with them. Gorgeous in springtime :)
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2011
8:31 PM

Post #8600488

Bridal Wreath Spiraea is one of my favorites. I used to have two beautiful ones but put them in the wrong spot and ended up giving them to the Master Gardeners for their plant sale. I'm soon moving and will have great spots for a few more. Thanks for the reminder. That does sound like a good pairing.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

May 7, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9114608

Do any of you know where to get the frameworks for the fuchsia hats? To make trees? I have looked and looked and normally when I ask the clerks all I get is a vacant stare. Thanks, Jeanette

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Fuchsias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Amazing fuchsias Zanymuse 84 Sep 3, 2009 2:19 AM
Who would like to see a Fuchsia Forum!? PedricksCorner 134 Dec 2, 2009 6:06 PM
Let's get a Fuchsia forum going! PedricksCorner 83 Sep 3, 2009 2:21 AM
help with my fuchsia jjpate 2 Jun 8, 2009 5:38 AM
Fuschia - do I trim this? blackThumbz 15 Sep 4, 2009 4:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America