Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vermicomposting: Hot compost tumbler?

Communities > Forums > Vermicomposting
bookmark
Forum: VermicompostingReplies: 2, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jawnn
Port Townsend, WA

May 28, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8592939

I think there are types of manure that should be heated up to 140 degrees. Not a job for worms.
I tried wood saw chips and nitrogen to heat up my compost barrels but it never got enough air. So I may have to build a tumbler.

Has anyone got pictures of a tumbler that is very aerated and uses a bicycle chain and gears to turn it by hand? I need a large container.
Rhapsody616
Long Beach, CA

December 19, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8936126

How big of a bin do you need? I made a tumbler out of a used barrel I asked for at the car wash. It tumbles and is large.
mraider3
Helena, MT

December 20, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8936941

I recently saw a couple of threads from another vermicomposting web site, and it's free. One was constructed using two five gallon buckets, some duct fittings, and 1/4-inch screen, and the other from a 30 gallon Rubbermaid bucket, PVC piping and some screws. Tracy the young lady who put this together is quite inventive. Lots of good picks to go with it.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/verm/msg111850079011.html?2

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/verm/msg0903044524247.html?15

I don't know enough about these units to critique them, but I plan to build the later next year and see how it works. Apparently Tracy is working on a third design as well to come out next year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Vermicomposting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vermicomposting anyone? margaran 74 Jan 31, 2008 9:09 PM
vermicomposting margaran 214 May 2, 2008 1:26 PM
Vermicomposting-2 margaran 92 Feb 15, 2008 2:36 AM
Welcome to the new Vermicomposting forum! Terry 16 Jul 21, 2013 6:32 PM
wrigglers? kooger 19 Jul 16, 2008 2:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America