-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 28, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8593059

Good morning , time for a move again. Here we are down by the river where its lovely to sit back and contemplate.
Anthony, you can think about all the new liliums you can buy. I think you need a tall ladder to stand on or we will never find you among those beautiful flowers.
Chrissy, lots going on in my garden. Mostly to do with weeds. I can hear the darn things growing in the night. I must get the Roundup out , rain or shine. Everything is so wet though. When its not sprinkling, its foggy. At least we have had no strong winds as yet, but I am sure there are some coming later. August can be blowy here.
Dianne, still the odd flower on the roses. I moved one the other day , to give it more room to spread.
Colleen, all the little cacti are doing well with new shoots . Maybe I'll see a flower this year.
Hello Elaine. I never get to a Bunnings unless we are in Mt Gambier , but they don't have much in the way of bargains. Bad luck for you not being able to get the things you particularly use.
Hello Teresa.. I hope all is well in your patch of NZ.
Better go and put up the new sign so people can find us.
Have a great day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 28, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8593086

I always forget the sign. No wonder people cant find us. We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1179223/
Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8593167

No, I would lose you anyhow. I rather a bumble mule . I just blunder around til I find you.
but I'm always welcomed and that means a lot to me. Love you mates!!!!!
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 28, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8593217

Good morning all. Overcast and quite nippy here this morning. John brought up a huge Hare's foot fern for me. I didn't break it up just put into bigger pot. Lots of bulbs, clivia tree fushia, pots. He's going to get some more potting mix this morning. The boys went for a motor bike ride yesterday afternoon. John takes them out to a quarry not far from here. They love it. Must go, be back later. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 28, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8593335

Sounds like you need more acreage Colleen. lol
Lots of lovely new plants. Any salvias ??
Heres my latest one out.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 28, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8593356

OH!!-for an acre
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 28, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8593482

Anthony. I have nearly 2 acres, but as the body ages, the acreage seems to enlarge.
Better to have a smaller space as it does stop one getting over enthusiastic with plants.
I should know...ha ha.
It does get a bit much so I thank myself for thinking ahead and planting lots of trees and shrubs as the main part of the garden. They can do as they like .
I just pulled out my pot of Christmas lilies from under the hebe.
Should I leave them in the pot or plant into the ground ? They have leaves ( about 8"high , but the roots are not out of the bottom as yet. I would love to see them grow well and flower.
Please, some of your sage advice, Anthony...
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 28, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8593594

Your garden sounds very sensible,Jean...we downsized and I miss the space to plant but I don't miss the effort trying to keep a young garden alive during the long years of drought that we had...Our block was on a hill and even though it was terraced, it was hard work...we went back the other day to see what had survived, the things that we planted near the house were still there, but the lower gardens were bare except for the fruit trees and grape vines, all marvellous survivors...

You certainly have enough to do with your shadehouses, etc, and I bet there isn't an inch to spare in any of them...lol
Colleen, that hare's foot fern sounds nice, I like them and they last forever...

Charleen, we need a long piece of string, so you can follow us and not get lost...

Lots of beautiful Calla in pots at Bunnings yesterday...chocolate, pink, apricot...very pretty...but I don't have much luck with them..they grow, but no flowers..I have a couple in the garden now, plenty of sun...still no flowers...oh well.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 28, 2011
10:08 PM

Post #8593849

Dianne , join the no flowers on callas club. I bought bulbs a few years ago and had flowers the first year. Since then I have had one yellow last year. I am disgusted with them and they are all going out into the ground . That includes my black arum Palestinuim too. It didnt flower last year. The parent of the Palestinium lives way out in a paddock, so thats how I am going to treat mine. Out in the paddock they are going.
Not too way out though. Just along the irises , but in the open.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 29, 2011
12:53 AM

Post #8593944

They need to be kept pretty dry in the Winter Jean ...funny thing is that I threw seeds down from my original callas (now called that dreadful long z name) around and not only did they come up, but they bloomed like mad ...in sun.They don't like watering in the Winter and love heavy watering in summer.
My Italian Sister In Law just turns her pots of callas on their sides in Winter and she always has a beautiful display come Spring.
They usually bloom in the Spring but where was the Spring this year? like Summer it didn't happen really ...not here anyway, steamy grey stuff is all we got most of the time, plants need sun.

Hey Charleen yay you found us!
I hear it's getting hot is that right?
I can't keep up with things at the moment being in the house most of the day, so it's getting a bit wild out there,guess that will sort the tough things out.

Colleen and Anthony you two are still potting things up? it's getting a bit brisk ...but then bulbs love that don't they.
Better get dinner ready ...can you believe May is almost over !!!!
……..((((……...((((
..¸,o¤°“°¤o,¸.αʟ℘i¸,o¤°“°¤o,¸
…(….◕¸¸◕….).…(….◕¸¸◕….)
oOO—`*´—OOooOO—`*´—OOo see you all later ...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 29, 2011
2:08 AM

Post #8594007

Jean,.,.how big is the pot? how many are in the pot? how long have they been in the pot?,.,.if there are still green shoots there,hold out for another month, b4 repotting,til they die back,.ive been re-potting today!-my god,massive bulbs on some pots i completely forgot about,..,i sold many more potted liliums today. makes me very happy to see the look on a lovely old ladies face,when i can offer her a blooming tango lily,1 month b4 winter,..,,.and yes, i do have an acre,'' in the spine'' on most nights after working!!!!!!,.,.anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2011
5:50 AM

Post #8594231

If you don't see me, just send me a d-mail to let me know. That would be a very long string , but maybe it wouldn't get broken.
Calla lillies in the paddock??? Horse Paddock. They should like it there!
Chrissy it is warming up supposed to be in 90's that's o..k. I'm not freezing. Old age can't stand the cold any more. I have a few aches too and 9 acres but lot of it in pasture. Thank God. But I have plarnty of space for plants. It can wear you out.
I have a Serindipty Brug with buds forming on it. I do have daylilies blooming. Here is a cutie!
You all have a great Sunday. Many blessings...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 29, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8595019

Good morning everyone. Its still dark outside. I feel like I am up in the middle of the night. Yesterday was quite mild so I managed to get some cutting back and tidying done. I am just carting all the rubbish down the back along the fence and under the trees. It will rot down by next year. I have built a bit of a fence along one side with all the dead wallflower plants . They are big and woody so dont rot so quickly. There was a bit of a gap so I lined up all the larger woody bits. Looks quite cute. It will all be covered in nasturtiums soon anyway. Noone can see my mess then.
All the softer bits get cut up as I go and just pushed under and around the plants.
Anthony, to answer your questions re my Christmas lilies... They are in a large pot about 10"across. The leaves look like they have been coming for quite awhile as they were completely under the hebe. I put the 2 bulbs in the pot 2 years ago when I put it in the frenery. As nothing happened last year , I moved the pot outside and then forgot about it as the hebe grew over it.
I have noticed that the whole thing never seems to die right back. The flower stems grow ( and dont flower) then die back but by then more leaves are coming at the base. I have now moved the whole pot right out in the open .
Dianne, My callas ( zantedeschias) are going to go in the ground and they can just do as they like there.
Chrissy, I used to put the pots in the covered part of the shadehouse where the tuberous begonias spend the winter. Didnt make them flower. I I think the darn things just sulk.
Hello Charleen, I love the pic of Charley and friends. He always looks so friendly.
I have lots of daylilies here and the silly things are putting up flower stems now. One yellow one flowers all year.
My hellebores are starting to bud. There are lots of little babies around them. Naughty things are very promiscuous.
Hello Dianne. Our place is on a small hill so the slope makes it a bit hard in places. Most of the garden I really look after is close to the house and reasonably flat.
The slight slope does help with drainage in winter though, this being all clay soil.
Hubby tells me it is supposed to be fine all this week so look out weeds, I am coming with the Roundup.
I can hardly find my irises , which seems to be the worst area for the weeds. Probably because the irises like it open so there is plenty of room for weeds, where all the rest of the garden is so full of plants, the weeds cant fit in.
I had better get out in the kitchen and see what I can give you all to eat.
I hope you all had a great weekend and have some fine weather for the week too.
Happy gardening Try these good old faithful Lamingtons.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 29, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8595045

lovely frosty morning here...
sun is now shining & I managed to spray all the weeds on the drive the other week so they are looking quite yellow & sad.
the rest of the garden is a bit soggy in places & my hellebores are looking healthy, I just read that I should be cutting the old foliage off to get rid of aphids & to allow the flowers to be seen...
the old foliage still looks nice though.
My new cyclamen are looking good & one of last years is flowering really well. not sure if the others will join in but the leaves are pretty anyway.
few years ago i would never have believed that such a delicate plant would survive outside in the frosts we have here, I am glad I discovered them on special & took the chance.
If the hellebores & the cyclamen are as promiscuous for me as they are reputed to be then my woodland corner will be something special in a few years.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 29, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8595134

Good morning everyone. I am so slow. Must be the cold. Trying to read through and catch up. See we've moved too. Lots of rain here, but can't complain, the ground needs it.

My Cooktown Orchid is in bloom. Lovely to see the flowers. The Zygocactus are literally falling over each other, trying to show off their blooms. Still quite a few with slower to open buds to come yet. Nice show though.

This pic is of my 3 orange zygos. I finally got the mess sorted out, and the right tags with the right plants. Subtle differences, but love them all.

Have a lovely day.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 29, 2011
4:53 PM

Post #8595239

Teresa, like you, I am reluctant to cut the hellebore leaves too. Mine stayed nice and green all through our non summer. I will cut them though as it allows a lot more room for the new fresher leaves.
I have read that cyclamens dont mind frost and my small ones in the ground plus a large one in a pot survive very well outside. Your woodland area should be ideal for them.
I just went outside but came back in pretty quick. I would think it must have been nearly a frost here this morning. Lots of fog in the valleys.
Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8595360

My hellebore are green year round too and I don't cut mine either. Charley , innocent Charley with the kind eyes and Onery butt but out there chasing Chickens a while ago. He is a handsone beauty but he will chase Chickens, dogs, cats anything gets in HIS pasture. They get to running and I get to worrying. I sure don't want to chase them, getting too old for live rodeo's. ☺ I've done a few when they got out. I leave their halters on for that reason. Yes, they are all sweethearts...
This is Izabelle.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8595363

Crissy, I have buds Girl...Serindipity

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 29, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8595546

Good morning everyone. Charleen life sounds fun around you with all your critters. Mine have been my sanity point I think. A good fog here this morning. A nice mild sunny day now. Have been paying bills. Was supposed to go shopping today but couldn't be bothered. Have found a few sausages in the freezer and have plenty of veg so tea's set and will make some custard for sweets. The boys will have to have bread or toast for munchies after school but that will be okay. Have oranges ripe on the tree so their fruit is there for recess tomorrow as well. We won't starve. The cats and dog have plenty so they wont starve either. Had a nice surprise visit from son John Friday afternoon til yesterday afternoon. He took the boys motorbike riding and took them out to find a bug to put in the lighted aquarium that he brought up for them. He was after a big cockroach but none around here so he's going to go and get one in Adelaide. Grand-daughter is coming up next weekend so she'll bring them with her. They have ordinary garden beetles in there at the moment. It's keeping them happy. Well must go and do some more work. Be back later. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 30, 2011
12:07 AM

Post #8595865

brrrr it's been and still is cold and windy with rain since last night, so not much to tell here☼¸¸.♥¨¯`♥ ♥✿✿。◕‿◕

Wet wet wet ...oh poor Sue huh I feel for her, never mind the garden looked gorgeous !
Charleen yes I see all the excitement going on over the pond ...that Summer is getting a bit hot isn't it?
Your blooms and long ears are darling.

Karen your pics are lovely ...lucky you Cook Town orchid beautiful, it would freeze to death here.

I love my Hellebores too but my leaves die down in the Summer usually, I live in strange temps here.

Jean good luck with your plans ...we have a few rotten days ahead, still more of the same as today.
I hope everyone enjoys their evening :-)

Colleen it will be nice to have your grand daughter for a visit, mine is off overseas and I miss her heaps.

Anthony I suspect you have a soft heart behind that cheekiness :)

Elaine hope the weather isn't ruining your fun,

or anyone else's
Guess I had better go start cooking up a storm myself

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 30, 2011
12:28 AM

Post #8595880

one thing I do need to do is trim the old peony leaves, they are totally brown and dead.
Need to mulch the new growth to protect from frosts - down to -1C tomorrow, normally I use the leaves raked off the drive but they are long gone - blown away.
Should have kept the last lot of lawn mowings from under the trees - more leaf matter than grass so would have made good mulch but it went into the green bin & is long gone.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 30, 2011
1:31 AM

Post #8595987

like a chocolate snowball,chrissy,.,..,,.everyone who likes liliums,,,google up ,.,..,KUSHI MAYA lilium,.,.absolutely unbelievable!!!!!

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

May 30, 2011
1:33 AM

Post #8595989

Hello everyone!

Still sick with this bad cough.
Fred's sister goes home tomorrow so I may just take it easy for the next few days.

I will read all the posts then off to bed.

Hope nobody else has this flu.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 30, 2011
1:47 AM

Post #8595994

You mean like this Anthony :)
http://www.hwhyde.co.uk/flowers/lilies/nepalense_hybrids/kushi_maya.htm

Hope you feel better soon Marlene

Teresa stay warm girl ...
☼¸¸.♥¨¯`♥ ♥✿✿。◕‿◕
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 30, 2011
2:34 AM

Post #8596004

thats the baby,chrissy,.,.i will have one ;'';one day;'';.i have nepalense,to bloom this year,,but my word,what a liliy !!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 30, 2011
2:58 AM

Post #8596012

Hi everyone I came back to say that there is a special draw on BGI open to the public thread ...all you have to do is post 2 pics a day and two contestants will be drawn to win a supreme seed cross (magnificent Brugmansia cross-7 seeds) so if you want to have a go why not pop in and start posting, pictures of any plants in your garden, now that's easy with all the beauties you grow.

here is the link
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/forum/4-our-gardens/

Good Luck ...the pics need not be current.
☼¸¸.♥¨¯`♥ ♥✿✿。◕‿◕
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 30, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8597437

I hear that flu is now going around. Stay warm and safe, everyone. Doctor has offered me a flu shot, but I've never had one and am afraid of how I might react to it. Anyone have any reports of flu shot experiences?

Had a storm overnight, but was south of us. We got some rain, but that's all. I fear my broms might not be liking so much water in the colder temps. But all other plants and trees are thriving on the Autumn rain. Strange time of the year for storms though, isn't it?

Here is my Cooktown Orchid flower. It has about 6 flowers out at the moment and looks very happy.

Have a lovely day.
Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 30, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8597502

Good morning everyone. No rain down here but its freezing and there is a frost. I am not going out to look until the sun is up .
I managed to get all the spraying done yesterday afternoon. Now there will be plenty of room for the next crop of weeds . The iris are all losing a lot of their leaves now so I can spray right around them .
I have orchids coming out. Just in case you didnt hear me I HAVE ORCHID FLOWERS COMING ...
The one that flowered last year has 3 large flower stems and on that hubby bought for me years ago has on large flower stem. I am so excited. Maybe they have decided they love me after all.
Lots of jonquils opening. Some of the early wattles are nearly out too. My hellebores all have buds , the zygos are opening and my small gevillea has so many buds it is nearly falling over.
T e echiums are all flowering now so I wonder what they will do in spring when they are supposed to flower.
I am going to go mad with the hedge clippers today. The paths need clearing a bit, so look out any plants hanging about.
I hope Sue and everyone else up north are not getting washed away. It seems that there has been nothing but rain there for a very long time.
Chrissy, how is your garden faring ? Are you getting rain too ?
Hello Colleen. You definitely sound like you need some help there. I could send you a few elves but they all went on holiday after our carpet ride.
Anthony, you will get that lovely Kushi Maya bulb one day.
I hope my nepalise seeds grow to look like something like that beauty
Hello Teresa. I have some bracken fronds over my tender new salvias and cannas.
I was reading that the curly ends of new bracken are very good chopped up as a source of potash for plants. I told hubby, we need another trip into the bush to gather some.
I'll be doing the bush a favor by removing some of the bracken. It is a real pest around here , taking over lots of the bush .
Where once you could walk around and see small orchids and other native plants, now all one can see is bracken as tall as a person.
Hello Elaine, Karen, Pam, Dianne and anyone else out there shivering.
Hello Charleen . Hugs for Charley.
Louise we miss seeing you. Hope all is well at your place.
Have a warm cuppa and enjoy this lovely warm Gingerbread Cake.
Happy gardening.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

May 30, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8597604

Good morning to all Have not been washed away yet I sure had a lot of rain yesterday this morning not so bad light rain but have a bit of wind starting.

Karen I have the flue shot every year only effect I have is day after sleeping most of the day really hard to move out of bed only lasts one day .-----elaine.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8597606

You all take your flu shots and lots of vitamine C. We are going to be in Mid 90's this week. Ain't cold now!!!! ☺
Charley sends nuzzles to all.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 30, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8597742

No reaction to flu shots here, we have them every year...
Golly it looks cold up north...little Emma Freedman doing the weather on the Morning show looks as if she could be blown away.

That lilium sure has the WOW factor, Anthony...one day, you will produce something really special too.

We are a little behind you, Jean...no buds on Hellebores yet...hundreds of babies though, boy they increase quickly, don't they...
I will throw a few Poppy, Cornfower seeds in the garden today...the Cyclamen are in flower and I'm waiting for the babies from 2 years ago to show their wares now.
Not a good year for Azaleas for me, forgot to spray in December...some are their usual beautiful selves, but others have been ruined by Red Spider...I think because they are so protected by the ferns, they are prone to infestation...have to remember next year.
Cinerarias almost out...I love their blues.
Daphnes are out too...they grow so quickly here on the peninsula, from 15cm to 100cm in 3 years, I have 5... love them.

Karen, that Orchid is so lovely...almost forgot...Jean...congrats on flowering the Cymbids...I know the feeling.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 30, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8597787

We have just had a very heavy downpour here ...still raining.

Jean you are getting orchids ? can't wait to see them. My garden is in full Winter mode here, making me very nervous about the real Winter.

That lily is a real beauty Anthony :)

Stay warm and dry Elaine it's not gardening weather at all, almost every Autumn leaf is now gone twixt the wind and the rain.

Lovely orchid there Karen ...pretty colour.

Dianne that all sounds very pretty it will be beautiful in the Spring.

Charleen nuzzles back to Charley, stay cool, some lovely iced tea may be in order.

Colleen how is all the potting going ? I can't even go outside it's that bad.

I hope I haven't
Marlene hope you are feeling a bit better.
Sue the trip around your beautiful garden was a real joy ...thank you, mine will never be neat like yours, congratulations on the show piece that your garden is. That's a whole lot of work you have put in there.

Well better go do some Housework ...sigh on a grey and wet day it's not very inspiring but someone has to do it and that would be ...me.
A big wave to anyone lurking :-)
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 30, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8597876

I am sorry to hear of the rains down south. Surely we've had enough water for a few months. Would be nice to get some time to dry out.

I forgot to say, we went to Bunnings yesterday, and I was surprised to find them selling EPIPHYLLUMS!!! Nothing that stunning, but to see them was such a surprise. Maybe all the best ones had been sold already.

I got this zygo beauty, one I'd had on my wish list. I treated myself to it, as I knew today was going to be a hard one. Dentist early this morning (extraction, ugh) and the hospital this afternoon to see the endocronologist. So, I figured I would console myself with this...Zygo "Strawberry Fantasy"

Karen

This message was edited May 31, 2011 2:01 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8598956

For Anthony, Look what I found blooming. I instatly thought of you. It is a pale lemon that I planted from Seed. I was so surprised..supposed to be in mid 90's so got to hang out in shade when I go out...
Hope you all have a great day. Beautiful plant Karen...

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 31, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8599695

God morning Charleen and everyone. Brrrrr, I must be the first up this morning because of the cold. Have the birds to feed, but actually, they haven't stirred yet either. There's been a shower already and the sky looks most unwelcoming. Will probably move some plants around again today and get some of the saturated broms back under cover.

Have a beautiful day, everyone, and keep warm.

Karen

Zygo "Sunburst Fantasy"

Thumbnail by DawnSong

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 31, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8599730

Dream on Karen! I was up before 5 (Hubby had to leave at 5.45 to go to Brisbane for the day.) I was waiting for my fingers to defrost though. lol Was planning on heading off nice and early ( to avoid the crowds) on Saturday to go to the markets at Gin Gin, but if it's anywhere near this cold, it won't be happening. I think we're making up for last year's very mild Winter.

Sue's gorgeous pics of her garden have certainly got us all drooling - I'm thinking you surely need a nice 'holiday' in Bundaberg, Sue? If your back's still up to hauling rocks, all the better. hehehe

Pam

This message was edited Jun 1, 2011 7:36 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 31, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8599746

Good morning everyone. Its very cold here and I would say we have a frost. I am not going outside to look either. I am sitting here with the small heater on my feet. When the sun gets up and starts to warm a bit, I may go outside. I am getting lots done around the garden after lunch each day while its fine. It takes that long for the grass etc to dry enough so one doesnt get all wet moving around. By about 4pm the night air is starting to come in and its time to get back inside.
The sun is so low here in the late autumn/ winter, that it is behind the trees most of the day.
Hubby has just come in after going out to see if there is frost. From our hill we can see across the paddocks and down in the valleys. He says it is very white everywhere. Luckily, most times, the frost stays outside on the slopes and not in the garden , but I have learnt from previous years, that even without the actual frost, the extra low temps can kill plants.
Charleen, thats a lovely lilium.
I am watching one with buds here . I bought it in mad moment and it was shooting . It has grown to about 2 foot high.
Hello Karen. Love your zygos. I am waiting on my newer ones to flower. Not a great year for flowers on them here. I do have a couple that have never flowered that are budding up. I think the low light levels with all the cloud we have had , are what is causing less flowers.
Hello Chrissy, Dianne and Elaine.
Anthony, I hope you are not lost among your liliums.
Hello everyone else.
Time I warmed my fingers on a nice hot cuppa.
Have some very decadent Chocolate Cake.
happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2011
4:02 PM

Post #8599878

OHhhhh!! don't like to hear of you having a bad winter. bless you my friends, I have a few months and we probably will too!!!Hugs and nuzzles to all.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 31, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8599885

Lol Charlene, I don't think our Winters here would qualify as that to you. There are very few places here in Australia that would be less than about zone 9a in your language.

Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 31, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8599902

I agree with you Pam. It is nowhere near as cold here in Aust. as it gets in those snowy places, but to we who live here, its B**** cold enough.
Hubby is trying to get a few fiddly things done in his shed but his fingers are cold so he keeps popping back in to the heater. and delights in telling me how cold it is.out there. I dont need to know as I am not going out there.
Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8599948

Makes him feel Macho!!! Jean. ☺ I'm in Ga. so it is not like living in Northern states. Don't want it either. You all take care...
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 31, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8599956

You know the little gas stoves that run on the butane gas cylinders, Jean - the ones that are in nearly all the shops now fairly cheaply? I was browsing at BigW one day late last year and came accross a little heater that runs on them also, in an obscure part of the shop, and on clearance for around $30, originally $140. Hubby absolutely LOVES it for his shed, and it seems to go forever on a single $1.25 cylinder (they're $5 for a pack of 4.) With it being warmer out there now it gives him a bit of time to go out and 'play' in the mornings before he heads off to work for the day, whereas in the past it has been too cool in the mornings.

Pam
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 31, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8600023

Good morning everyone. Marlene sorry to hear that you still are not feeling well. Boy, is it cold here. Frost yesterday and today, but beautiful days as long as you stay in the sun. I still have the heater going this morning. The brugs are all still green with still buds coming. Some have lost a few yellowed leaves but Avalanche that I planted out in the front garden has powered away and lots of new growth. I put a RFP out there on the weekend too, so that's 5 I have in the front garden now. Have lots to do and am picking the boys up at 12.30 today as I have an appointment in Berri this afternoon, so short day for me. Must go will be back later. Dianne TantraX are from 1-11/2mtres tall at this stage. I have several in Brian's lot. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 31, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8600150

Feel my fingers, they are frozen...
Sun is shining brightly on all the freezing plants...
Colleen, remember when we were talking about the frost coming from below not above?
Well, evidently in the UK, they have frost gates that they open to let the frost roll out if they are on a slope...it rolls in and it doesn't come from above...so what Brian was telling you was correct.,,,They were talking about it on the garden show.

I will be very interested to see the results of the Tantra x's, were they from Judy or Alistair?
That little heater sounds great, Pam...
Beautiful Zygos, Karen...sounds as though you have the Zygobug...
Charlene, that lilium is a most unusual colour...Anthony will be interested...keep cool.
Perfect time for decadent chocolate cake, Jean...

This message was edited Jun 1, 2011 6:46 PM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 31, 2011
10:01 PM

Post #8600623

thanks for the pic Charleen.,,one of.my 'specialised' bulb orders ,will arrive by friday,''exciting''-cant wait 4 summer,.,.sooty is walking on top of my big orienpet pots,where i blocked off an existing walkway,.,.i had to have a bit of a laugh to myself!!!!!it wouldnt be funny if they were poking up though!!!!ive finished feeding all my daffs,'my word,what a crop i have',.,.its extremely'''to the bone''' cold here,.,.anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8601355

Got hibiscus blooming this morning.
I knew you would like it... Morning Girls, or Evening or whatever it is in your land☺

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8601385

Hey Red, it is the wee hours of Thursday morning Downunder. Brisbane is about 15-16 hours ahead of us. Pretty Hibiscus.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2011
9:23 AM

Post #8601395

Oh!1 No!!1 I knew I didn't know what it was but I'm always trying to keep up with them. Once in awhile I get lost but bumble my way back in again. Thanks Moon...
How about an orangie one. this thing is pretty too!!!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2011
9:32 AM

Post #8601414

I have to watch out, or I wake everyone up at DD's house...not so cool with babies...grin.

Is that El Capitan? Pretty color.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8601610

I don't know, got it a Lowe's and I love the shape of the bloom. Want a piece of it

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 1, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8601786

Thanks, but I am trying to cut back...grin. DH says it looks like a mad woman's nursery around here already. If it would ever rain, I could put some of the trees and shrubs in the ground and then have room for more pretties...if it ever rains again...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 1, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8601848

I know that feeling. If it does rain, will have a jungle for sure.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 1, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8602165

Good morning everyone. I'm late this morning, but the sun is up - hooray! Anthony, it sounds freezing there. Plants (and people) are amazing how they survive extremes of nature. It sure is an amazing, beautiful world we live in.

Don't know if I have the zygo bug or not, but they are all coming out now, and the colours are beautiful. A few haven't opened yet, so still more to look forward to.

Have a really lovely day.
Karen

This is Strawberry Fantasy up close after a storm. Beautiful colour...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 1, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8602167

Good morning everyone. No frost this morning and a bit of pink in the sky. I potted a few plants yesterday and divided a phormium . It very helpfully just fell into nice pieces when I tipped it out. I also replanted some of the Formosa lilies. They have very large bulbs now and I am so pleased as I grew them from seed just three years ago. I had two flowers last season and there is a seed pod on one of the plants still in its old pot. I dont know if its any good as the lilies have been in the shadehouse all the time. Maybe I have a "phantom pregnancy". lol
Hello Jeanmoon. lovely to see you again. How is your garden going ?
Charleen, those are very pretty hibiscus. Love the red. I hope you get rain soon over there.
Hello Anthony. I hope Sooty is very careful , walking on your pots. You should have some beautiful pictures for us to see when all those liliums flower later.
Hello Dianne, have you had any frost over the last few days ? Being closer to the sea, you are probably a degree or two warmer than here.
Pam, I told hubby about the heater . He does have a little heater but never uses it because he is always moving about, in and out of the shed. Never still, that man. Just like his Mum was. Nervy types. You should see him if he has to wait anywhere like a doctors etc. Talk about fidgety.
Karen., I love those zygos of yours. I have them but down here , I never get that many flowers on them. There are about 80 out in the zygo house and if I could get them to flower like yours, it would be lovely. Never mind, the flowers I do get are large and very pretty.
My hatioras flower more because the weather is warming by the time they flower.
Hello Colleen. Sounds like you are going to have a brug garden not a cacti one soon. The brugs will outnumber the cacti.
Hello Elaine, Teresa and anyone else popping in.
Heres something yummy to nibble on. Chocolate Peanut Squares.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 1, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8602258

A very Good morning Did I say I was going to high light the Emporerors robe well I did more than high light now have to find a place for him to live .----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 1, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8602297

Elaine, with a robe like that, he needs a palace. You will have to make one for him somewhere. A few handmaidens also.
He does look superior , doesnt he ?
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 1, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8603017

Oh dear Elaine I would be nervous working in the garden with your very stern looking fellow looking on.
you have done a great job, you would think he could at least smile :)

Well the rain has finally gone but the ground is very wet ...almost a warm day really 20C now, poor mixed up garden.

Even my Zygos are iffy this year heaps of growth, few buds and blooms I think my jungle is getting too jungle like , shade too dense. Must get in and chop stuff out now the snakes and wasps are gone.

Hello Charleen and Moonhowl Love the Hibiscus pics. Yes we sleep in your waking hours and visa versa.

Better get off before I am thrown out again ...waving to all !
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 1, 2011
10:59 PM

Post #8603194

Jean-- I have given him 2 warriors for now may be a army later .

Chrissy yes he is not a happy chappy I did not notice thate before .
-----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 1, 2011
11:07 PM

Post #8603201

Elaine , you had better keep his little area looking nice. Those warriors could cause trouble if you dont. lol.
Looks really great.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 1, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8603202

What a glorious day, warm and clear at least until 3...now it's clouding over.
Yes to the frost yesterday, Jean...

Just heard about more tornado activity in the US...poor people.
Jean/moon and Charleen, hope that it rains for you soon...
How lovely is that Hibiscus.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2011
5:17 AM

Post #8603439

We hope so too. i know my plants are praying for rain. The grass IN the yard , not especially care about, in the pasture , yes, on the flowers a huge yes!!!
Elaine, Warriors are not smiley, they are stern, so your fellow is a true warrior. Like the garden set up.

Strawberry jar has Semps and Sedum

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8603578

2011 has certainly been a destructive weather year around the globe. Last night tornadoes touched down on the West coast in California and the East coast in Massachusetts. Neither of those states has had a tornado in recent memory. While folks were scurrying on the coasts, more tornadoes were spotted in the center of the country in Kansas. The Mississippi River, which runs the length of the US from Minnesota to Louisiana and into the Gulf of Mexico has flooded its' banks into 11 states, some tragically. And with all this wind and water, Charleen and I can't get a drop of rain.

Today the forecast is for sun and a high temperature of 100F. (38C) and will remain in the high 30'sC for the next week to 10 days. Our official first day of Summer is not until June 21. Something tells me Mother Nature is still not very happy.

Elaine, your Emperor would look right at home in the Chinese Garden in Sydney.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 2, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8604425

I've been to that Chinese garden - it really is a lovely spot, a quiet little haven in the midst of Sydney's hustle & bustle.
I was always very fond of Hyde Park - only partly because my maiden name was Hyde...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 2, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8604541

Good morning everyone. I just finished a nice post then forgot to send it as I wandered off to look at something else. Of course, my post disappeared.
I will not do it all again. I will just say hello to Charleen and Moon. I hope you get rain soon.
Louise, hope all is well at your place. Pats for the girls.
Dianne that is awful to hear of more tornados over in the USA. Especially in areas not usually affected. I hope all are okay there.
I'll have to ask hubby if he saw the news. He watches more that I do.
Hello Elaine, Anthony, Karen , Pam , Teresa and Chrissy.
I am going to get outside and do a few things before it does decide to rain.
Have a lovely day and stay safe wherever you are
Have some of these Cinnamon Rolls with a nice cuppa;
Jean.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2011 9:13 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2011
3:29 PM

Post #8604572

Teresa it is indeed a lovely sanctuary...we wandered through for over 2 hours and would have stayed longer but the little ones were getting hungry...grin

A lovely day to you all...hope the sun shines warmly for you.

Moon

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8604677

A daylily for you all. Have a great day... Charley sends you all nuzzles...

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 2, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8604957

I just watched a documentary on the ChCh Earthquake, it was quite sad to see the devastation - I still haven't been any where near the city.
the documentary is called 5 Days in the Red Zone & follows Police from the southern town of Alexandra.
They were called in to assist after the quake & at one stage they showed Papanui, right in front of where I work, a hair salon where I used to get my hair done, a Chinese restaurant where I have eaten...
the salon is now back in operation, the restaurant in the next building is still closed.
They also show the beginning of demolition work on an historic old building that I walk by on my way to work, it took a while but it is a pile of bricks & rubble now - still not completely cleared though.

http://tvnz.co.nz/five-days-in-the-red-zone/s2011-e1-video-4188072

they show some of the Aussie USAR teams, what they had to deal with was pretty tough.

http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing/rs4x/cleveland-restaurant-takeaways/

map view of the area, if you look you can see a long building to the right of tennis courts - that is where I work.
scroll up a little, the big building on the corner of Harewood Rd is the one that is gone.
on the other side of the road opposite the Cleveland is a building with red roof - that was demolished after the September quake.
There is a strip of narrow shops across the car park from the RSA, the red roofed one is being demolished... they show it in the documentary but I don't think you can see the Memories Cafe signage, that ended up on the footpath - the building frontage completely fell down in the 5.1 aftershock last month.

photo of heritage building after September 7.1 quake...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 2, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8604969

photo of what is left after February 6.3...
it is a bit smaller now as they got stuck in & stacked a lot of bricks in pallets that were removed, work seems to have come to a halt but the site is much safer now.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 2, 2011
6:06 PM

Post #8604983

right now our neighbours are having their chimney deconstructed...
we are on the urgent list for the same thing, they have a new born baby so have priority.
We are up there on the list because our main heat source is the pellet fire.
It is burning right now & the day is grey, drizzly & very cold so I would hate to have no fire for however long the repair takes.
It is a bit unnerving as every so often there are vibrations as they hit the brick work next door, any kind of shakes put me on edge these days.
I think it is a cumulative effect as for a while I viewed small after shocks as mildly amusing.
I do know of someone who took to screaming 'is that all you've got' at the little ones.
That was in the days following Feb 22 when we were shell shocked & anything over 4 had us wondering if that was it or was it going to get worse.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 2, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8605166

Oh gosh Teresa ...commiserations ...it's awful.

Don't know what else to say ...except P**s off 2011 ...begone!

Sorry but it's seemingly endless misery for so many poor people and animals, even whole Countries.

I had better creep out of here after that little rant ...

Back later when I am not needing a caffeine hit ...been up with my bro since 4.30.

Waving to all our happy Tea Shop people ...wonder if they make caffeine patches ? lol.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 3, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8606347

Good morning everyone. Chrissy, I've been up since 4.30 too, maybe in sympathy? Still pitch black outside. I hope things are not too difficult for you. I agree, it has been such devastating year for so many people across the world. Now the tornado season is doing its worst in the US. It just keeps on.

Teresa, it is so hard to imagine how long lasting such damages are. It must be so difficult to see your hometown in such a state. Hard to get back to "normal" and you must sometimes wonder if it ever will.

Looks like we are going to have a fine weekend here, so maybe we'll get to visit some nurseries, or the Sunday markets. I hope so.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.

Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8606412

Bless you all. Hope things get back to normal for you...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 3, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8606673

Good morning everyone. A fine and cold day yesterday and no rain so far. Little wind which is good. I found more daffie bulbs coming up and hopefully they will be lovely and bright this year.
Nothing much to do in the garden at the moment except wait for the new crop of weeds .
Hello Teresa. It is hard to see all that devastation around you. I do hope that people are getting over the trauma now. It takes a long time for the scars to heal. Both physical and mental.
I also hope all goes well with you getting the things done on your house that need attention.
Hello Charleen. You must be creeping into your summer now. I hope it doesnt get too hot for you. You can send some of the heat here anyway.
Chrissy, as bad as this year has been so far, dont wish it away too soon. The second half could be much better. Besides we dont all want to suddenly become a year older already. lol
Hello Anthony. I have small buds on the lilium I got a while ago. It was shooting and has grown well. I will post a pic when it opens.
Hello Dianne, Colleen, Elaine, Pam and Karen.
Hello Moon. and Louise, I hope we see you soon.
I am off to do a few things domestic. Have to keep up appearances or hubby might give me the sack. lol.
Have a taste of this lovely assortment of cookies and cakes.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8606676

Jean, I would love to send you some warm air, but I bet your Lovely Postal Department would hold it and you would never recieve it. I've sent Anthony two packages and haven't heard of him getting either. I know he will tell me. It's just the postal people like those mule pins so much they don't want him to have them. May try again in a buble envelope. last time was in a nice box. Poor Anthony!!!!!
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 3, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8606703

Good morning everyone. It's raining here. Pretty cool too. The boys have a dinosaur project that they're working on so that will keep them busy. G/daughter came yesterday and will be back today. Her and 3 friends got a cabin at the caravan park so that they wouldn't annoy me. There's not enough room for 4 teenage kids here anyway. We have the Sunday markets on here this weekend and the Country Music Festival has started. That goes all week with buskers everywhere and competitions. It really brings the place to life. My sister and her family tried to book a motel room for next weekend and there's not a spare space anywhere. Things are looking good in the garden but there's still lots to do. The brugs that I brought out of the H haven't looked back, in fact I think they're looking better. The Sanguineas are starting to look a bit better now with their nice green leaves. I hope I get some flowers again this year. I have a couple of Arboreas so hopefully there will be flowers that I can fiddle with again. Well both boys are up and itching for their breakfast so had better move. Hope all are well. Louise I do hope everything is well over there. Elaine glad to see that you're well and still pottering with your craft things. Your emporer looks great. Very impressive with his scowling face. I'm sure that his guards will look after him well. Jean How is your mosaic going? It's probably a bit like my decopague. I have it all there but never find the right time, or enough time, to get to it. One day. Everyone have a wonderful day and I.ll be back later. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 3, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8606906

Hi everyone ...how come the weeds keep growing?
Guess that's why they are called weeds.
Can't do anything the the weather being what it is.

Dianne your gardens are looking lovely ...been enjoying your pics,

Thanks for the offer Charleen but I hate the heat! ...you stay cool now I am hearing it's way too hot over there already. Hope you happy folk over in the USA are staying out of the sun.

Elaine ...hope you are enjoying your pottering around.

Sounds very busy at your place Colleen.

Teresa more sad happenings in NZ today ...so sorry to hear about the explosion.

Pam, Karen, Marlene and Anthony hope the aches and pains are easing up.

A big wave to everyone ...Elaine this is for you

http://jeffreygardens.blogspot.com/2011/06/miro-mosaics.html

and anyone else who loves mosaic work :)
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 3, 2011
5:48 PM

Post #8606952

charlene,i had to laugh!!!i have visions of aus post workers,walking the streets with 'charley' pins on their jumpers,.,.,."YET"-nothing has arrived,.,.Teresa,i found a 'good' mail order lilium nursery in NZ for you--'ROZEMA GARDENS'-'alas' i cannot get any!!!!he has some good 'new' stuff..,.,.,.Its a crappy/cold/wet day here,..,i'll have lunch and figure out what i can do ''later''-anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8607064

I know it is very aggravating Anthony, if there were an other way to send it I'd try.
You all have a great day. the Mosiac is beautiful. Love it.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 3, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8607134

Anthony - I was given a pile of lily bulbs last night at work...
think they are asiatics.
Need to get them planted post haste,just read in the garden section to plant lilies as soon as you get them as the bulbs don't keep. Well timed article :)
have to figure out a good spot - full sun?
Dig in compost & a good helping of the ash from the pellet fire?
This is my plan unless you come back with advice to the contrary.
Cheers
Teresa
gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 3, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8607242

Yes, Teresa, lilies never go completely dormant, so they should be dealt with asap.

Anthony, perhaps you could buy the liliums you are wanting from the NZ nursery and Teresa could grow them for you and mail the seed. Sounds like a good trade to me. hehehe

Pam
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 3, 2011
10:00 PM

Post #8607553

Thanks for the kind comments been a little ill and breathless the last 2 days think it was from the fumes of the paint I all ways wear a mask and work out doors under cover looks like my painting days are over .
But still lots of other things I can do.

Chrissy a Big Thanks for the Mosaic site going back to finish reading some things there I wont to try
in my gravel garden.------elaine.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 4, 2011
1:42 AM

Post #8607650

youve got a handle on it teresa!!!!!! lucky you!!!,why is NZ treated as another alien state,when we are only a ''canoe trip '' apart? charlene,if i win tattslotto tonight,i'll come and get one,.- pick up my 'rat rod at the same time!!!,.''keep the kettle warm''!HA HA!! i could smuggle back a heap of B&D lily bulbs ,disguised as 'christmas baubles'[one can only dream]!!!!!!-anthony
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 4, 2011
3:05 AM

Post #8607686

Jean & Dianne,.,.Camlilies is having an ebay sale,.,.[he has good lilies],.,.Ebay''lilium bulb''--be quick.,...,anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8608318

Come on Antony, Charley and I will welcome you. It would be so great to see you. But Honey, it is warm here today so dress in layers so you can shuck it off if necessary!!!! I hope you win!!!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 4, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8608773

Godd morning everyone. I'm a bit late today as I burnt my toast and the eggs were not done enough.
Doesnt take much to put the day of of sync when you egt so used to doing everything in a certain order. Are you all like that, or is it just me ?
I do like things done in a certain way and in the right order. Hubby is the same. I'm not compulsive about it but it does seem that it comes with ageing.
We had a little rain during the night which the brugs will appreciate.
I am not going to do much at all today , but sit and read a few garden books.
It is cold and windy out there.
Hello To Colleen, Elaine, Dianne, Teresa, Pam and Karen.
Charleen, I could do with that warm now.
Anthony. I will go look at those bulbs.
Have a happy day wherever you are
Its my birthday, so I am sharing this yummy Chocolate Birthday Cake with everyone.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8608776

Happy Birthday♫♪ to you Dear Lady. And ♪♫ many moreeeeeeeee!!!
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 4, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8608807

Happy Birthday Jean. Hope the day warms up for you, but just till it does wrap yourself in your blankie and enjoy the day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 4, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8608842

Jean A Big hug A Very Happy Birthday enjoy you special day.-----elaine.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 4, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8608864

A very Happy Birthday Jean...if you venture out, I hope a flower in your garden blooms for the first time on your birthday.

Here is a cyber gift for you...enjoy your day...
ps, it's not my plant, just a pic.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2011 10:10 AM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 4, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8608897

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jean ... I hope you have a brilliant day, don't worry about burning toast it's a special day so you just have a wonderful time!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 4, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8609133

happy birthday jean!!!!Heres a lily i know you will add to your collection soon from todays purchases[guarenteed] his lilys are brilliant!!!-anthony

Thumbnail by g_whizz

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 4, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8609469

Happy birthday Jean. Hope you have a great day.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2011
8:48 PM

Post #8609542

A very Happy Birthday to a fellow Gemini. Hope you have a lovely day that makes you smile, Jean.

Best Regards
Moon/Jean

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 4, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8609576

Four zygos opened today.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 4, 2011
10:44 PM

Post #8609724

Thanks for all the birthday wishes everyone. The flowers are all beautiful
Your zygos are lovely Karen.
Anthony, I hope there are lots just like that lilium.
Thanks Jean/Moon, very pretty.
Thanks Chrissy , Elaine and Charleen.
Colleen, I am just going to do exactly what you advised. Wrap myself in the electric throw and be comfortable.
Dianne, I did venture out this morning to hand the washing but by lunchtime, hubby had brought it back in. It is blowing a gale and raining quite a lot out there.
I can hear the weeds already laughing at me and my vain attempts to keep them under control .
I hope you are all enjoying better weather where ever you are.
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 4, 2011
11:16 PM

Post #8609769

not a nice day here but at least I got a sleep in, no dog training & after getting to bed at 2am I really needed the catch up.
we went out to lunch with friends that we haven't seen in a while - they moved to the UK just after our wedding 6 years ago.
It was great to catch up & as a bonus the food was excellent.
We have put the Lonestar Cafe Papanui on our list of places to go back to.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 5, 2011
12:15 AM

Post #8609791

Happy Birthday Jean. Better late than never! Sorry the weather hasn't been the best, but a day in bed with an electric blanket sounds confy!
Sue
gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 5, 2011
1:46 AM

Post #8609801

Happy birthday Jean. I hope you got rightfully spoiled. In honour of the occasion we had a glorious sunny day here in Queensland.

Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 5, 2011
3:09 PM

Post #8611104

Good morning everyone. Thank you all again for the birthday wishes.
Pam, if the sun came out for me, why are you keeping it up there ? Send it down quickly please.
Its frosty here which sounds ridiculous if you had been here yesterday. It rained most of the day with very gusty winds. To see frost after all that sounds silly. It is cloudy now too. Th e weather certainly is being very weird.
There is a great mess of branches, twigs, leaves etc all over the place and hubby thought it very funny that all this happened just after I had swept all the paths.
Sue, I couldnt stay in bed all day. I use my lovely electric throw around my legs when I sit in the lounge.
Hubby said he would like one if he could sit still long enough to enjoy it. Anyone with aches & pains or cold feet should but one. They are great.
Hello to everyone else.
I am not going to be outside doing anything today, so it looks like a day spent on the computer, chasing ancestors.
I hope you all enjoyed your weekend.
I will see what I have in the kitchen for you and then let hubby have the computer for a while.
Here we are try this delightful Hummingbird Cake.
Have great day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 5, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8611171

Awwwwww, now you've done it, Jean. Hummingbird cake is my most favourite cake in the whole universe!

It is a truly beautiful, sunny morning here. A bit cool, but will warm up as the day goes on. I wish I could get that winter sun into my yard, the plants would love it.

Hope everyone has a lovely day. I think we all deserve it.

Karen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 5, 2011
4:46 PM

Post #8611291

Morning all, another quake in Christchurch...
Teresa, your poor dog will be a nervous wreck...they were saying that they have found 2 more faults under CC and they even named the street that it runs under...how scary is that...

It was freezing, getting my horse's hooves trimmed this morning, Steve the farrier could hardly use his tools...I could barely hold the lead rope so I don't know how he worked...it was so nice to come home and have breakfast in a warm house...Now the sun is shining...
I have some bulbs to plant this morning, but I will wait for a while.
James Arness died over the weekend...there goes a bit more of my childhood...Gunsmoke was so popular..he was in it for 20 yrs..
Think I will have another cuppa before I tackle the bulbs.
Keep warm.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 5, 2011
7:56 PM

Post #8611760

well the 5.5 that rocked us this morning hit right when I was cooking a special breakfast of bacon & french toast.
I have never eaten French toast let alone cooked it but it turned out pretty tasty.
Today is our 6th wedding anniversary so I wanted to do something nice for Baz.
He is taking me out tonight - it's a surprise but I do know we aren't going to the hotel where we spent our wedding night...
it was badly affected by the Feb quake & is going to be demolished.
I was amazed to hear that as it is a modern building - dates from the '80s, I remember it being built & used to walk past it on my way to work when I lived in the central city.
We went there for lunch last year to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 5, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8611899

Teresa, Happy Anniversary. Have a great time and I do hope the earth doesnt move for you. lol
Dianne, I saw the bit in the paper where James Arness died. I well remember all those days of Gunsmoke cowboys.
Hubby didnt know who he was. Living in the country where he did, with rather old fashioned parents, he didnt get to see much TV.
I sat in front of the TV over lunch on saturday & sunday watching the movie, Andromeda Strain.
I remembered seeing it many years ago and reading the book.
This was an updated version and not too bad at all.
Sort of mix between Outbreak and a few other of those disease movies.
I have Avatar recorded so may watch that again. I really liked it and the special effects are fantastic.
Its been so cold here today after a frosty morning. Looks like rain again.
Karen, I must be honest and say I have never tried Hummingbird cake at all. I must look for a slice in the cake shop when we go to town.
Going back to the heater. Have a pleasant day.
Jean.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 6, 2011
2:35 AM

Post #8612012

Jean, I hope you can find a slice. Getting harder to find these days. But its a slice of heaven, truly.

Karen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 6, 2011
2:49 AM

Post #8612020

who's going to have the most colourful summer flowers in the world?-me!just think-5 months and the liliums will be blooming,.,.a bulb order arrived today,so ive been busy potting up,..,its so exciting. i sold another 21 tango lilies,by e-mail,today,.,.'theres a 1st',..,.,and i have to do a talk''about liliums' at the next garden club meeting.,,. Charlenes missing parcel arrived today full of jacket pin -ons and i converted 1 into a fridge magnet

Thumbnail by g_whizz

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2011
6:52 AM

Post #8612378

When Anthony won the 1st in lily show, Charley wanted to show him how proud he was so we made a special hat wit Lily and blue ribbon. I am so glad you finally got them. I should have talked sooner about your postal dep. Ours is bout as bad sometime. I and Charley are so relived that you finally got the package , took two to get you one.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 6, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8613383

Anthony, do you have a pic of your lilies in flower "on masse"? I am picturing a field of colour, but probably have it all wrong. I am so glad they are going well for you.

Good morning everyone. After such a glorious day yesterday, today is a let down - grey dull, cold. Too much like winter.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 6, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8613483

Good morning everyone. Well I hope its a good morning for others. Its grey and cold here, but then what do I expect, its WINTER. Brrrrrrrr. A light shower in the night but very cold wind out there. One cant seem to find a place outside where the wind doesnt sneak around. I will be in my greenhouse later in the week when I pot my liliums. Not too bad to work in there.
Anthony, we must see lots of pics when your liliums are out. Of course we will be showing off any of ours that flower.
Love Charleens Charley pins.
So cute.
Karen. I will be mean and say its nice that someone else is feeling a bit of the winter chill.
Teresa, has the shaking stopped again ? You will be starting to feel like a wobbly jelly.
Hello Elaine, hope you are resting.
Colleen, you must have a brug jungle there now . Watch those prickly cacti when you are wandering around smelling brugs.
Dianne, I am thinking of re reading the last Jean Aeul book, as I did enjoy it. I like the way she has cleverly left the option of adding another if she desires.
Hello Chrissy and Pam.
Louise , we miss you. Hope all is well in your part of the USA.
Charleen, clever you with the Charley. pins.
I'm going to spend the day delving into the family history again. It is good weather to stay inside and do some research.
Hope you all have a great day.
Some tasty treats for you to have with a nice warm cuppa. Saffron Buns.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8613589

Poor Anthony it took two tries before he got them. I am so happy for him..
Stay warm.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 6, 2011
4:00 PM

Post #8613595

Brrrrrrrrrr ...Frost ...

It's cold!

Here is the recipe for humming bird cake for those missing it :)

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/6470/hummingbird cake

Anthony you lucky guy ...aren't they cute!
A joy to hear you loving your lillies.

I hope everyone is keeping warm.

Teresa I hope you enjoyed your anniversary ...sad when those places special in our lives are ruined. We have our memories though don't we and that is something nothing can take away.

I think Loise and Charleen are probably flat out with their Summer stuff going on.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 6, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8613599

Ha ha there you are Charleen ...we arrived together :)
Stay cool over there.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8613606

Yes, it is hot!! Went out to pot a plant and was dripping wet head when I got finished. Mid 90's today.
so it is warm. air conditioner went out in bedroom but we were lucky to have an extra in the kitchen. Thankful for that!!! would have been horrid in this old modular...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 6, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8613629

Gosh I hope you will cope ... cool showers perhaps. Thinking of you .

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 6, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8613635

Anthony, how clever of you and how lovely of Charleen to send you those pins...they look great...

Jean, I can't share your enthusiasm for Jean Auel's latest book...I thought that is was written because she had to, because of her contract...She seemed to waffle on forever and she did absolutely nothing with the characters that she introduced in the previous book and what happened to the Clan...big build up then nothing.

But it has resurrected my enthusiasm for the series, so I am going to read them again...it may change my perspective on her last.

Good luck with your family research.
Have a good day everyone.

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 6, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8613687

Good morning everyone. Goodness when do you people find the time to read books. I can't remember the last one I read. I have 2 People's Friend still sitting there that I haven't even looked at. A few more brugs came out of the SH and have been repotted and a saucer put underneath so that those wandering roots don't go into the ground. That way I can shift them around with the weather. They do seem to like it better out in the big world. I've left the Sanguineas in there are mine did so well flowering last year. Sugar Pink, Suavelons , Old Apricot and Ecuador Pink are well rooted into the ground through the weedmat in the SH. SP< EP< and OA are all about 7' tall with lovely umberellas so will plant them out the front when the time comes. Must go. It's lovely to have a cht with you all but must do some work. Be back later. Hope all are well. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 6, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8613991

Dianne, I do agree that the book had limitations but maybe because I had just re read the last few books in the series. it seemed better than it was She did waffle a bit but I was willing to overlook that so long as I could see what was happening to Ayla etc.
I was pleased to see that Ayla finally realised her destiny. I would love to see now, more on how she does as she takes over more responsibilities.
I would also really love to see more on all the people the couple met. As you say, they were introduced but then left. It was great to see a couple from the Mammoth clan though.
I suppose there has to be a limit set on how much one could write because of the extensive research required.
I love the series because I have always been fascinated by the Neanderthals and their great survival for so many millenia.
There has never been a species of human that has lasted so long and I dont think there ever will be again.
There has been really good show on Austar lately . It was a series called Walking with Cavemen and with the realistic animation available these days, it was very enjoyable.
Hubby and I are both very interested in the early Earth histories including the evolution of man. There have been a lot of programs over the past month or so on the formation of the entire universe and the Earth. I watched one yesterday on the possibilities that exist for the formation of a real Jurassic Park scenario.
Saw a man who has cloned lots of animals including dogs and a large bull.
Very unlikely, I know, but there could be some mad scientist out there somewhere trying for a dinosaur.
Not in my garden thank you. They would trample my plants. Hubby says I would have a good supply of fertiliser.
Better go and feed the man. Its raining a bit so I'm not going outside.
Colleen, I am an avid reader and would rather read than be domestic any time. Between the garden and books. I keep myself busy.
Once upon a time, when I had all the kids at home, I was always knitting , sewing , cooking etc. Now I dont have to.
My plants are my babies now.
Jean.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 6, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8614301

Oh, the book, yes. It did go on and on. I remember Ayla had a dream in a previous book where her two sons (the first son, a clan child, the second son Jonathans) faced each other. That never eventuated, and I feel it would have rounded the saga out, if the past had met the present and was somehow reconciled. The past so much shaped who Ayla was and what she became. Also, is the author insinuating that all man's troubles with woman stem from needing to know he is the true father of her children? Jonathan showed a brute violence, and I feel the author is trying to say more without actually using the words, or am I misinterpreting?

In all though, it was a mighty saga, and a true credit to the research the author must have done. I think she has written it almost like an account of the times, more interested in getting the details correct than getting the characters properly sorted out. Not being critical. She took so many years to get this together, and held the interest of a lot of readers who waited years between some of the books. Something to be said for doing that.

Karen

This message was edited Jun 6, 2011 8:40 PM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 7, 2011
1:48 AM

Post #8614617

i cant show you lilium pics,because most are sold,or not flowered yet,.,.summer will be when we hit ''THE BIG TIME'',.,.liliums galore,.,.,.PROMISE!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 7, 2011
2:20 AM

Post #8614636

guess what I planted yesterday ...
lilies - no idea what kind - a nice man left me some bulbs at work.
He had labelled bags with : white, yellow, striped, lantern.
I put in several of each kind & have passed the remainder on to my Mum.
And she exchanged them for seed from her Xmas lily.
I moved a couple of mini roses to make room for the lilies, nice sunny spot & I dug in some leaf litter that I bagged up a couple of years ago & mixed in ash from the pellet fire as well.
Time will tell if they like what I have done for them.
I had a pleasant surprise when I checked the sweet peas I planted - looks like a good germination rate.
after having the seed sitting in a pill bottle for a couple of years I'm impressed.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 7, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8616040

Good morning everyone. freezing cold here again. Cant tell what the temp is because the weather thingy is not working properly. It looks like we are going to have the same very low temps as last winter. I hope not as bad or all my brugs will faint again from the excess cold.
It rained most of yesterday with a very cold wind. Hopefully no wind today. so I can get out and check on things.
Anthony, silly me, of course I meant to say later in the year for your lily pics. They will be beautiful. I have pots of green grassy leaves as all the little daffies come up. I am also watching carefully because my dragon lilies ( dracunculus) are coming through the ground. I have moved them outside under the shelter of the fence and a few large shrubs. They were in the way when the new greenhouse went up. I am also going to move my black arum palestinium from in the fern house. It grows but hasnt flowered for a year. The mother plant lives way out in an old farm paddock so this one should do okay outside. The zantedeschias are going in the ground today too. .
Hello Teresa. How nice of that person to give you the bulbs. You will have some lovely surprises when they flower.
Hello Elaine. Hope you arent feeling too much cold where you are.
Pam and Karen. I hope you are both feeling much fitter now and keeping warm.
Colleen, how are you doing there ? Not too cold yet ? I hope all your froggies are tucked up for the winter.
Dianne, I see Melbourne was very cold yesterday. How is it at your place ? Hubby always says, it stays a bit warmer closer to the ocean.
Chrissy. my brugs are still standing up to the cold , but there are months to go yet before spring.
Charleen, Charley will be wanting to stand under the hose if it keeps getting hot at your place. I can just see him enjoying it too.
try and keep cool . I would send you some cold if I could.
Hello to all looking in. I will see what I can put out for you all to nibble on with a nice hot cuppa.
How about a feed of yummy Blueberry Pancakes..
Happy Gardening.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 7, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8616075

Good morning everyone. Jean it is verrry cold here. 1C right now. I think "Jack" might be out there. This is better than yesterday though. Very cold wind yesterday. I do not like wind of any sort, especially freezing cold southerly winds and hot northerly winds. I haven't seen nor heard any frogs out there but when the boys were putting some yabbies in the pond in the SH they both said that they saw a little brown frog. John reckons they will be there somewhere but i haven't seen any. John has ordered 2 giant cockroaches for the boys. Don't know how they will go down here though. They are coming through the post so should arrive any day now. The boys have a glass aquarium with a light in it but no heater. They will be kept in the lounge so might be okay. Marlene are you trying to tempt me with those Staghorn seeds? I think that I have enough on my plate here at the moment so will sadly decline your generous offer, but, then if anyone has Treefern spores, I might give them a go. lol. Glutton for punishment. Well must go and get the boys clothes ready for school. be back later. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 7, 2011
3:32 PM

Post #8616116

BRRRRR...Snow in the Dandenongs...It's cold here too Jean...though the older I get the more I whinge...a couple of years ago
I wouldn't have noticed it.

I have gone crazy knitting things with that Snowball wool that I bought a couple of weeks ago, a scarf, a knee rug, now a patchwork rug...it's so quick to knit with...too cold to garden so this is great.
I have just ordered some Bletillas from GardenExpress...Wayne and the Geelong Bot gardens, both had a lovely display last year...so I needed more to make an impact..

Off to Geelong today, to do some shopping.
Back later.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2011
3:34 PM

Post #8616120

Oh, Charley doesn't like the waterhose. He runs from it. He likes doing a dustbath tho. He loves to roll in that old sandy red dirt. the dust just afloating in the air. All those longears like to Dust bathe. If I hit them with water, they'd have mudballs running off. We got 95 today.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 7, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8616184

Charleen, Charley would be no good here then. No dust. I saw a little donkey the other day. Poor thing was all alone in the paddock.
I think animals should have friends in with them. We have one old sheep here . Its not ours. We let a local farmer keep usually 3 of his old sheep in the front paddock to keep the grass eaten. One died quite a while ago then another died a few weeks ago. Old Cecil, as we call him, now stands alone . He does have a few sheep over in the neighbors paddock to talk to but I'm afraid he's so old he mostly stands around. I am surprised each winter when he survives .
We will probably get a new trio in the spring . Little lambs out in the neighbors paddock. Lucky they have woolly coats on.
Dianne, I see mountains of knitted things piling up around you as winter progresses. We may have to send out a search party to find you.
I used to knit everything for the kids and grandkids but arthritis makes it too hard now. Besides, the knitted things are not so popular with the younger ones especially as they live in warmer areas. I dont think my son in Darwin even owns a jumper.
I tried wearing scarves when shopping, but they annoy me so much , hanging around, that I usually take them off and throw in the car . I'm the same with hats. Cant stand wearing any sort.
Hubby used to be the same until his hair got really thin . Now hes nearly bald he wears his beanies, which he used to hate.
The sun is trying very hard to come out and the wind has gone.
I may even venture out soon. Get all the little jobs done before the rain returns.
colleen, I didnt see many little frogs in my broms last summer but now they are in the greenhouse, the froggies may return.
Heres my latest zygo out. This is a noid , but a large, upright,quick growing plant. The flowers are large too and such a pretty pastel pink.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8616219

I have a window here where I can see out in the pasture. Just went out and cut down some brush out of the way. Now I can see my babies... when they are at their feed troughs...

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 7, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8616243

Good morning everyone.

Dianne I to see on the news this morning it is snowing in the Dandenongs.

Had Fred's sister from Leopold here for a hoilday last week and she said we complain about 22 degrees... she thinks we have nothing to complain about!.
But is is cloudy this morning and looks like we are in for some cooler weather.

Jean I have a zygo just like that one...maybe I received the cutting from you. It has quite a large flower.

Still not completely over this cough but I intend doing some gardening today so best get going.

Marlene

This message was edited Jun 7, 2011 7:51 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 7, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8616626

BBBBRRRRRRR!!!!!!! It's brisk!!!!!!

My poor brother has to be showered at 6.30 in the morning to be ready for the nurse, talk about cruel when he has Ankylosing, spondylitis, as well as other problems.

Well it sounds like we all have our winter.
I have been looking at the most glorious pics of Italy taken by my grand daughter on her trip. I am so thrilled.She is sending them from Germany where she is again now after Italy, isn't modern tech., fabulous ...love FB for that.

Jean mine are standing too , some more than others but we have had frosts already and like all of you the cold cold wind.
So many are naked , some are still holding their leaves but not for long I don't think.

Charleen mud balls lol ...trying to imagine it, my horses love rolling in the grass. I think it may rub bugs off or perhaps they are just being joyful.

Marlene hope your cough improves soon, it's very distressing for you.

Jean I forgot to say ...poor old sheep.:( still he got to live a good life, no knackery for him.

Colleen I imagine you won't have room for much at all, your garden must be packed by now, it will be a big job looking after everything come summer.

Elaine are you handling this cold? if you can get out of the wind and shade and sit in the sun it's not too bad.

Pam,Dianne, Loise, Anthony of the lilies :) Karen and all our happy Tea Room Friends, enjoy your afternoon.

Must get on with things, way behind everything today.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

June 7, 2011
10:35 PM

Post #8616985

Afternoon to all I have been playing nothing much put a few tiles on the studio clock . dryed because of the heater on the bench so managed to grout and polish .
Also started a clean up in the garage now the wind seems to be blowing harder so back inside till tomorrow . Only feel the cold if I stay still -----elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 8, 2011
1:18 AM

Post #8617056

we had news on our chimney yesterday, turns out it may be worse than I thought...
next door just had theirs deconstructed & the same builder is doing ours, he says we will need the same thing done, it means they take all the bricks down to the level of the crack & then use plywood to make it weather tight...
but that means we won't be able to use our pellet fire.
The builder has been on to the EQC for us & they have to provide another means of heating the house, apparently they have been installing heat pumps (reverse cycle air con)
However with the number of chimneys taken out by the earthquakes we may be waiting a while for installation - it may be a chilly winter for us!
Baz is thinking about getting a larger oil column heater with a timer so we don't freeze.
to look at the chimney you can barely see the crack, I never dreamed it would cause so much trouble.
The builder is also going to take down the pillar that snapped & put in bracing for that corner of the eaves.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 8, 2011
2:10 AM

Post #8617069

Teresa why can't they use some fire proof material instead of PLYWOOD? I'm sure that that wouldn't make it weatherproof for long. Sounds a bit strange to me. I'd be asking some questions, it's your home and you're the one that will be cold while they fix it. Just me thinking. Colleen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 8, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8617138

Plywood? Does the builder know what he's doing? Or is the idea to simply demolish it so that it can't fall and then totally replace it? My goodness, Teresa, you can't go without heating at this time of the year. And what will happen to the elderly who are in the same situation? Is there someone who will make sure they don't freeze to death over Winter?

Pam

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8617474

Plywood doesn't sound like something Mike Holmes would use. (grin) Why can't they use Duroc concrete board? Then you could still use your pellet fire and it would be weather tight. As you know, California has had its share of earthquakes also. Here is some info for you that may be of use in making your decision. I realize that codes and laws may differ, but safety and usability do not.

http://www.abag.ca.gov/bayarea/eqmaps/fixit/chimneys.html

http://www.jandlmasonry.com/tips/earthquake-damaged-chimneys-can-be-deadly/

[HYPERLINK@www.permitla.org]

http://www.chimneysafetyexperts.com/services.htm

http://builderscrack.co.nz/jobs/6999
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 8, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8618339

well it looks like plywood on next doors chimney, it has to be weather tight - they would be in for more claims if rain got in & ruined the place...
I will ask about alternative materials, I'm curious now as to why it seems to be the standard treatment for this kind of chimney.
They do have to take the bricks down so they don't fall in if we have another significant shake.
and they are predicting a 23% chance we will have another over 6 in the next 12 months.
If we get through that without the 6 hitting then the odds change to the same as anywhere in NZ.
trouble with living in a narrow couple of islands smack bang on a fault line is that earthquakes will happen, where & when are the questions they all wish they could answer.
we still have the Alpine fault 'due' to shift, when it goes it could be upwards of an 8...
it would level most of ChCh & many of the other South Is cities & towns would be affected.
http://www.gns.cri.nz/Home/Learning/Science-Topics/Earthquakes/New-Zealand-s-Fault-Lines/Major-Faults-in-New-Zealand/Alpine-Fault
so - anyone want to move to ChCh?
and no - I haven't got any plans to shift away in the near future, I love it here despite the wobbles & the potential threat of the biggest quake since European settlement hanging over us.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 8, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8618478

Going by that picture, Teresa, it almost looks as though the Alpine Fault is the entire reason for the South Island's existence?

By the sounds of it, some of the stores would be doing a roaring trade in electric heaters this Winter?!

Teresa, it's probably short notice, but what are your plant import restrictions like there in NZ? Our (6 month old) Joshy's other Nan will be coming from ChCh (to Brisbane) to visit him for a few days on his way back home from a trip to Melbourne (with Mum of course.) I'm more than happy to drop a few broms in for her to bring back If you're allowed to have them?

Well we haven't needed the heater here for the past couple of nights, and most days have been absolutely glorious. The galahs and lorikeets seem to be looking for nesting hollows already, a little early I'm thinking, but I guess they know what they're doing.

Have a great day all, and stay warm.

Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 8, 2011
3:22 PM

Post #8618533

Good morning everyone. My goodness Teresa, I got even colder thinking of you trying to keep warm in the winter.
I agree with the comments made. Plywood !!! I just asked hubby and he laughed. Not at you of course, but at anyone silly enough to use plywood on a chimney.
What if someone forgot and had a fire. ?
Of course the chimney must be repaired but there are so many materials that are fireproof around.
I saw a chimney being repaired on a renovation show on TV. They simply repaired the chimney properly and inserted an inner liner , sort of like a metal cylinder. We have similar for our old wood heater, but its outside the old chimney, just straight up from the heater to the top of the old chimney. It has a decorative cover over it.
I'm sure there are ways to have your heater going. I would be checking into all materials and also other builders. That one may be okay, but as we found over here, there are lots who come across well, but are using poor materials and shoddy workers.
Please take care. Make sure , whatever you do that someone is also home when the work is being done.
We had a government scheme here for roof insulation paid for by the govt for eligible people. . Our "reputable " contractor in the area, apparently subcontracted and the job was done when we were out. They came in , opened part of the tin roof, trampled some of the garden and just sprayed the roof full of some type of shredded paper product.
Thats enough of me going mad. I just wanted to warn of things that do happen.
I am off to Hamilton today. Shopping day. It will be cold but its not raining yet.
Keep warm everyone.
Hubby is waiting.
Have some of these mixed Cream cakes with a nice cuppa.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 8, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8618610

Teresa wow you poor thing ...just one thing after the other,I hope you have some warm clothes and doonas .
That chimney business does not sound right, I second what Jean said.
Some fly by nights take advantage of these things. Is there any way you can check on this?
Good luck and rug up.
It's been another very brisk morning here but no frost due to icy winds I think.

Hi Moon ...wow you too? lots of interesting info there in your links, how are you enjoying your summer?

Jean gosh you got stung ...is it safe ...that paper stuff in your roof? it's a worry.
Fancy them entering your home via the roof ...typical story though.
Looking forward to seeing what orphans you adopt today

Pam that is a lovely thing to do.

Stay warm everyone except Charleen and Moon ...who may like a cool breeze.

Enjoy your day :)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8618703

Hi Chrissy. No, thankfully we haven't had any earthquakes where I am, but California and the Pacific coast have them. That info is from my Sister-in-law, who had to have a chimney repaired. I figure an earthquake and chimney damage are pretty much the same no matter where you live, just a difference in building codes. I sincerely hope Teresa and Baz will look into the options. To say they will fix her chimney but she can't have a fire is ludicrous...they are not fixing the chimney...they are repairing the masonry...strictly cosmetic, not structural.

We finally got a bit of rain...only had about 1.5cm for the entire month of May. Today we got almost 2.5cm...such a happy garden...grin. Our temperatures have been hovering above 38C and higher for the past week...poor flowers droop as fast as they open and so do I as soon as I step outside...grin

Sending warm thoughts your way. Sounds like doona and cocoa days for sure.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8618822

Send me some rain Moon. And maybe a cool breeze from Chrissy side of the world. ☺
Hello, everyone, Charley and the donkeys got a new bale or two of hay and I got this beautiful show in the yard.
Look Chirssy and Jean. Serendipity is blooming.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 8, 2011
10:18 PM

Post #8619314

Hello all. I'm home and didnt freeze too much. The showers waited until we were inside shops and the sun even came out. I didnt wear my extra coat either. Its very cold now and the rain started in earnest as we were unloading the shopping. Typical...
I never found any orphans today. Nothing much at all on the shelf besides a few tatty daisies.
I did get a nice surprise when we arrived home and picked up the mail.
My parcel of lovely bulbs is here.
Anthony, I got 40 lovely bulbs. Some xlarge some medium and some small. They will all grow beautifully.
Please, a bit of your sage advice. There are some scales broken off and I know they can be planted , but do they need some of the base on them as in daffodils ? I dont want to waste any possible bits.
Better go and warm up now. Hubby has the heater on.
Keep warm.
Oopps , sorry Charleen , you keep cool.
Jean.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 9, 2011
12:51 AM

Post #8619361

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!!!
It only got to 12 degrees here on the Sunshine Coast.
Last time it got to that temp was ten years ago.
Going to put more bed cover on tonight as forecast says it will be cold for a week.

My poor subtropical plants. I put plastic coats on some of my special plant. I think hubby might object if I put them in bed with me. *LOL*
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 9, 2011
1:11 AM

Post #8619363

Jean,you will not be disappointed,they are some of the best[if not ,in the world]!put all the 'babies' and the scales in a 'stock' pot,[but dont add onions,carrots or potatoes],as they will be near flowering size next year and the scales,the year after..when you see the blooms on this years beauties,you will want to keep them all,.,.i only part with them to collectors of fine liliums[that way,i know theyll be cared for],..,.,Dianne,like you,i ordered from the long awaited'garden express' catalogue today,.,.i raked in a few[quite a few] rarities,and emptied my funds for 2011,..,,.but my 'o' my,what a cracker of a season ,summer is going to be,.,.Unlucky for 'bulbs direct''-too late with a catalogue,.,.the cash is gone,even if you have good-goodies[i suppose,theres always my coin tin?],..,oh how sad a lily hoarders life is!!!!-anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 9, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8619851

Good thoughts for rain Charleen. We were in Mobile this past weekend and it rained a couple times. They said the rain there was the first in a couple weeks...maybe it is heading your way. Serendipity is just lovely. I know the longears are happy with their new hay.

Anthony, I can't wait to see your lovelies come summer. It will be a "winter" treat for us here. I imagine it will be like strolling through a perfume factory. What bliss...grin
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 9, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8620572

Pam - thanks for the offer but NZ is very strict on bio control...
no plant matter in unless you go through the proper channels and that is lengthy & expensive.
You can even get an instant fine if you forget to declare the fruit they give you on the plane!
Lot of annoyed tourists at border control when they get stung with that one - but there are lots of warning signs & a declaration form that says to declare any plants or fruits etc.
The fruit from the plane has to be eaten before you leave or thrown away. If you have ticked yes on the form they let you throw it in the amnesty bin but if you don't tick yes they fine you for 'smuggling' fruit.

As for the chimney - it is an insurance matter so we get no choice, the EQC appointed the company to do the work & we just take what we get...
we will ask a few questions though, it is our house after all.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 9, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8620698

Good morning everyone.
Yesterday was not too cold at all for shopping. Today , I hope will be the same as I am going to be out potting bulbs madly.
Thanks for the info Anthony. I will do as you say with the smaller babies and scales.
Luckily, I didnt see any other bulb catalogues. I would only want them all and I just dont have the funds .
Maybe if I can get myself going with the new market twice a year, I may make enough pocket money .
I am going to have to tackle my iris area again soon . The weeds seem to like that particular area . Probably because one cant mulch around the irises so there is plenty of space for weeds to thrive.
I would love to put down some of the path weeder, but that would also kill the irises. I guess I just have to play with the Roundup. Once the irises really start growing again in spring, I have to be extra careful and not have any Roundup near the plants. It means a few weeks of hand pulling weeds, but once done, they dont grow through summer so everything is lovely until the start of winter again.
A vicious circle designed to aggravate gardeners.
Marlene, 12 C would be nice here at the moment. We do like to share the cold weather but you northerners are very mean about sharing your warmth.
Hello Teresa, I hope that you get something satisfactory worked out. as you say, it is your house.
Hello Jean.Moon. What is going on in your garden at the moment ?
Charleen, Charley and friends will love you for the hay. I hope you get a bit of cool weather or showers soon.
Serendipity is beautiful. Lovely coloring and large too.
Hello Colleen, Dianne, Elaine, Pam and Karen . I am going to get my washing on . Always more of it in the cold weather .
Keep warm everyone and stay safe.
Try this lovely Chocolate Layer Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8620708

Dear Jean, yes indeed , we got a little sprinkle this afternoon.. They are calling for more this week end. I hope so. I got some blue tomatoes I want to ripen. first year for them.
My brugs are sending up Y's so you know they need rain. Fertilized them this morning.
So glad. Hope you all get warmer.
Hugs and nuzzles.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 9, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8620944

Nurse on the way back after she leaves ...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 9, 2011
10:13 PM

Post #8621453

Charleen, that lovely Seredipity, does it change to all pink later?...
BLUE tomatoes...I've seen black, brown, yellow, striped,mottled, green and red and pink...never BLUE...taste test and pic please Charleen...

Anthony, don't keep us in suspense, what did you order?.

Went to see Super 8 today it reminded me of ET...and the teenage boys reminded me of The Wonder Years...all in all a fun movie.

Bulbs popping through everywhere...one Jonquil out...very windy the last 2 days and the trees are almost bare...
Can't wait for Spring now...LOL.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 10, 2011
1:15 AM

Post #8621552

oh,all-right then!!-Dianne..Double orientals,.,.owen,sweet rosy,and distant drum,.,..,Orientals-lake carey[love that colour] and lake michigan,.,.but i think the steal is the ,.la lilium-'tropic diamond'--fragrant,red/ruby christmas lily,.,.,..,huge 'erlicheer' popped out here,.,.nylon'smells great',..,heaps of spring wonders popping up everywhere,.,..,.the mass of rain worked wonders

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 10, 2011
2:55 AM

Post #8621582

Elaine sorry I missed your question in the brug thread ...I have answered you there now, so sorry I missed your post as the conversation took off to cool climate brugs.

Oh you sound so happy Anthony ...great feeling isn't it when things you love are going well.

Blue tomatoes???? wow! ...hope you get some good rain there Charleen ...and Moon.Serendipity is lovely.My purple ones were good,

I see the QLD people complaining of the cold on the news tonight ...gosh me thinks we are going to have a tough Winter.

Hate to think what the electricity will cost this Winter.

better go get a rug ...it's cold, enjoy your evening everyone ...it's Friday Night and the long weekend looms here in this state.
Anyone else got the long weekend? interstate I mean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2011
6:20 AM

Post #8621808

Got this little fella blooming. Love the pale pink.
Blue tomatoes, I got seed from lady in Oregon. I think that must be the Tomatoe Capitol they have so many different kind of tomates.
I'll let you know about them and if we get a little more rain, we may have some. We did get a little rain last night. I am anxious to see what the blue tomatoes taste like too.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8621833

Looking forward to seeing your blue tomato, Charleen. We did Black Krim one year...such a strange color for a tomato.

Last Fall I got some Coneflowers on closeout at the nursery. They were tiny, ragged little plants and I didn't have much hope of them ever doing much. They certainly surprised me...guess they love our heat. The garden is mostly daylilies, coneflowers, vinca and ROS/Hibiscus now. The Crapemyrtles are coming into bloom and they are always quite a show. The Gladiolas are almost through blooming. I found some called "Glaminis" and I am pleased with their performance. Full sized blooms on shorter, sturdier plants that don't flop over in bloom.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8621839

My double purple Datura is in full bloom also. None of the Brugs have started yet...too hot and dry i guess.

Jean, sounds like you and Anthony will be potting up for a while...can't wait to see all your lovelies in bloom.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8622115

Very pretty Moon. Don't want new addictions but the Datura is a beautiful color...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8622392

It is grown here as an annual, but each flower produces a seed pod full of seeds. A self perpetuating annual so to speak...grin
gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 10, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8622609

I had that datura too, but it never self seeded, must have dried out or something I guess. It's certainly very pretty. I still have Echinacea flowering here too Charlene and Moon. It's been blooming for absolutely months. I think it must have enjoyed our very wet Spring and Summer.

I bought home a heap of new grevilleas on Thursday and had big plans of planting them all today, but of course, it's raining! How frustrating.

Chrissy, I'm certain we're in for a cool Winter. All the reports of snow, and so early in the season. Brisbane apparently had the coldest June day since 1916 during the week.

Jean, I think I'm going to have to get out and dig some holes for those grevilleas, rain or no rain, simply to work off all your yummy cakes. lol

All this talk of lilies has reminded me - I've been meaning to plant November lilies / Christmas lilies (depending on where you live) for the past few years but have always remembered too late. Is it still early enough to plant them now? Anyone?

Have a great day all, but remember while you're all huddled around staying warm, lay off all that cake. hehehe

Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 10, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8622674

Good morning everyone. Cold and showery yesterday but the icy wind has gone for a while. Today looks slightly foggy out the window. .
Anthony, sounds like you are going to have a magnificent show of liliums.
I potted all my new ones yesterday and have them out where they will get sun but the bases will be covered with some of my seaside daisies.
I saw a magnificent B. sanguinea over on the brug thread It is in the Tas. Botanic Gardens. Those gardens must be lovely.
If you want ground cover, you cant beat that seaside daisy . It grows anywhere and seeds itself all over the place. Easily removed though despite having many roots. If mine gets a bit much, I just cut the whole thing to the ground and it regrows later.
Pam, I hope your Christmas lilies get treated better than mine. I totally forgot all about putting the pot near a hebe. The hebe grew over the pot and I only just found it. I think the lilies must be very forgiving as they look quite happy.
Hello jean/moon and Charleen. Your gardens must be looking lovely now with a bit of rain.
I cant wait to see the blue tomatoes.
Chrissy, the brugs are starting to realise its winter now. A few leaves falling off. The bougainvillea has no such ideas. Its still flowering like mad , even with no sun to speak of.
Hello Dianne and Elaine. Also Colleen and Karen.
Not much to do here as even though the rain has stopped. everything is wet, ugh.
I will just walk around in the greenhouses and shadehouses, telling everything to grow.
I hope you all keep warm, especially all the northerners. Poor things, getting a little bit cold.
Anthony, you should send them some snow.
Hers something nice to add a few more pounds to the waistline. My favorite, Chocolate Mud Cake.
Happy day, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 10, 2011
5:56 PM

Post #8622973

gardengal,its fine to plant longiflorum/christmas lilies now-thru to august[maybe not late where you are is warmer],.,.anthony

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 10, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8622982

I believe we were colder sooner than you Jean this year, even QLD is cold.
I have people coming so I have just popped in shout everyone a hot chocolate to warm us up.

Have a great Saturday everyone ...loving those pretty blooms emanating out of the USA ladies, it is a sight for sore eyes.:)
Thanks so much.
Better shout you an iced coffee.

Back after the visitors have gone.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

gardengal
se qld
Australia

June 10, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8623141

g_whizz wrote:gardengal,its fine to plant longiflorum/christmas lilies now-thru to august[maybe not late where you are is warmer],.,.anthony

Thanks Anthony.

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 10, 2011
7:46 PM

Post #8623198

Good afternoon everyone. Have been doing some domestic chores and have just had a honey sandwich and will have another cuppa soon. A grey day hear today. not much wind though so not too cold. Will take the boys for a walk later and start gathering some dried leaves for their cockroaches. Just dirt and dried material and a small container of water. They haven't arrived yet, so still have some time. I hope they will be okay in the post. I suppose the guy must know what he's doing otherwise he wouldn't be in business. My winter hippy is nearly out Jean. Have your's flowered yet? I should have a nice display of Epis this year. They've all grown so much. Only a few brugs left in the SH now. The ones that have put their roots down and a few that still need to potted into bigger pots. The work never ends does it ? Well I'm going to make that cuppa. Will be back soon. Colleen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 11, 2011
1:58 AM

Post #8623421

out weeding the sentimental garden today,.this garden is full of good stuff,.strange asiatics,regales,huge orientals,nerines,..,[so many spring bulbs] and WEEDS,.,.they love it,..,a raised brick garden attached to the house,great for growing in,but the weeds go ballistic,.i pull weed strings out of the ground,about a metre long,..,i made a massive dent in it today,and will have another crack tomorrow,.,.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 11, 2011
3:47 AM

Post #8623455

Mum gave me seed from her Xmas lily... now I have to figure out where to put them!
the chap who gave me the asiatics last year said he is looking for the old Xmas lily, has a different scent to what they are selling now.
I wonder if Mum's is the old one - it was gifted to her so might be a hand me down.
I shall have to grow mine & see what I get.
I do know when they flowered she brought some in to work & i had them in a vase with my bosses ones - they were similar but subtly different in colour.
I couldn't tell about the scent though.
found a pic, if you look you can see one stem has white with pink ribs & the other has green ribs.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 11, 2011
4:05 PM

Post #8624471

Good morning everyone. I am late I know. Hubby has gone off to Mt Gambier for a radio ham convention, so the morning was spent making sure he didnt forget anything.
The sun is shining after rain during the night , so hopefully a nice day will appear.
Teresa, those lilies are so beautiful. Every garden used to have them years ago. Anthony will be able to tell you more about them.
Colleen, my winter hippie is looking very healthy but no flower yet. Maybe it needs another year. I have it in a pot which gets the sun when it shines in winter but will be shaded during summer by the echium.
Talking of echiums, mine are flowering. Silly things. The magpies are building nests too so looks like an early spring.
Anthony, I cans end you some lovely clover to add to your weeds. I havent seen this type before here, but it sure did well around the irises last year. It gets to around a metre long.
You cant help feeding the weeds when you fertilise the garden and they love it dont they ?
Hello Chrissy, Elaine, Pam and Karen. Dianne, how is your garden going ?
Louise must be busy in her spring /summer garden. I hope the girls are doing well.
Hello Charleen, hugs for Charley and friends.
Try this Chocolate Pound Cake with a nice cuppa.
I'm very into chocolate at the moment.
Happy gardening.
Jean.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2011 10:05 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 11, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8624474

Hey wake up everyone. I had a sleep in too. A beautiful sunny morn the birds are singing and all's well in the Morris house. A few more brugs got potted up and some Datura seedlings. Might get some more work done out there today. Hope everyone is well and I'll pop back later. Colleen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 11, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8624577

i slept in til' 6, a massive frost met me at the front door,.,.Dalfyre,the lily the old man is looking for is 'Candidum'- the madonna lily[check out the first pic in my lily thread from november],.,.it is a very tempremental lily,,it feeds and grows differently,but is the most beautiful and welcome smell,..,i grow a pot under the snowball tree,pull up a seat,crack a 4xxxx and reap in the perfumed air on a summers night!!!,..,the one you have pictured there is' Regale'-very perfumed,,and often called christmas lily,..,.,the 3rd christmas lily is 'longiflorum' -another different perfume,but still nice,.,.,.

Thumbnail by g_whizz

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 11, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8624595

Beautiful photo Anthony.
I like the 'rare' plant on the right , behind the lily. lol
I have a few of those too.
Dont they grow so easily? Always trying to sneak in and look like real plants
Jean.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 11, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8624659

cocky food![the thistles]

This message was edited Jun 12, 2011 4:20 PM

Thumbnail by g_whizz

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 11, 2011
6:03 PM

Post #8624698

Nice to see Cocky, Anthony, he is looking very cheeky.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 11, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8624813

Look at that pretty lily ...Anthony it's lovely!
I hope you don't get the dreadful thing that eats the Clivia and lilies over there ...my Clivias are chewed to the ground ...perhaps never to return from what I have read about this new menace ...some sort of grub. :( luckily you are in Tassie I think ...Wayne has lost some of his beautiful bulbs too. It's spreading because we are all planting the kind of tukka it likes evidently. My Clivias and a few other choice bulbs have been their for at least 15 years now just bare patches.Just hope something was left from underneath the ground. These things started on nearby Palm fronds too, but moved on after a taste.

Too cold here to go outside ...oh how I miss my garden.

Better get on with things ...I hope everyone is enjoying their long weekend.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

June 11, 2011
8:09 PM

Post #8624916

Glad that you made chocolate pound cake, Jean...I will have a piece this afternoon...

Don't like the sound of that critter, Chrissy...could you post a pic if you can...
Sun is out, but very cloudy here...not so cold though.
Took my grandaughter to see Fiddler on the Roof at Costa Hall in Geelong yesterday...the actor who played the lead role was marvellous...we have "Chorus Line" next.

Not much to show in the garden at the moment Jean, everything is "on it's way." though the Camellias have been lovely...
All the buds on the Magnolias are promising a pretty Spring...How is your M.stellata, your's is about the same size as mine.

Nice to see that Cocky hasn't lost his attitude, Anthony...he obviously still thinks he's boss.
Won't you have a marvellous Spring/Summer...

Teresa, can you see the ash cloud over CC?...it's supposed to be over Vic/Tas tomorrow...a couple of flights have been cancelled...
It's very windy here, maybe it will blow past...

This message was edited Jun 12, 2011 2:10 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 11, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8624958

here it is Dianne, but they hide under the leaves so you don't see them ...they are related to army worms, and act like it too. I stripped hundreds but couldn't keep it up because of weather and now it's bare ground with shreds.
http://www.ozanimals.com/Insect/Lily-caterpillar/Spodoptera/picta.html
They didn't touch the ones in a sunnier place ...thank goodness but these ones lost were my own special grown seedlings.
I just have to hope some survived under the earth. Mr Ross on the garden show said they had lost valuable bulbs and Clivia too and that many calls were coming in regarding the same thing going on in many gardens widespread.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2011 2:39 PM
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 12, 2011
2:10 AM

Post #8625095

Hello everyone, and Cocky too. Cold and wet here, but the sun came out this afternoon. Surprise! We went to Bunnings garden shop and their outer doors were closed. Had to go in through the main door to get to the garden centre. Thought maybe they didn't open the gates due to the rain, but was amazed at how many people were in there buying plants. They didn't have the specific plant I wanted, but I ended up getting a pile of tillandsias instead. Very happy with the expedition.

Hope everyone has their favourite warm spot at the ready. It really has been so cold, and so many sick people around now. Both my neighbours have the flu. I can only hope it stays on their side of the fence.

Keep warm and well.

Karen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 12, 2011
2:18 AM

Post #8625097

we've had some lovely sunrise & sunsets thanks to the ash.
Flights are being cancelled but Air NZ is running domestic routes flying lower than the ash cloud.
thanks for the lily id Anthony, I will have to look up further details :)
my garden is looking ok considering the cold & wet lately, my cyclamen are looking pretty & the sweet pea seedling have grown.
need to buy some plastic trellis to give them something to climb on.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 12, 2011
2:31 AM

Post #8625100

i had another busy day in the garden,more weeds [heaps] ripped out././and the poor bulbs given a chance to grow,.potted up some huge oriental bulbs from last year,,.prepared more pots[at the ready for incoming orders]---emptied the ute of the potting soil, and will have to get another load[in readiness],..,i wish i could hibernate like a bear for the next 3 months,..,[i hate winter].,.,,,
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 12, 2011
3:23 AM

Post #8625120

well I looked at the lilies online but am still wondering about this one with the greenish stripe...
the regale is the most common 'xmas' lily here.
the longiflorum looks pure white in all the pics as does the Candidum.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 12, 2011
3:18 PM

Post #8626106

Good morning everyone. My fingers are frozen this morning. I went outside, but soon came back in. It is very chilly out there after a lovely mild day yesterday. Still cold but sunny and no cold wind.
There isnt much I can do out in the garden at the moment. Aside from pulling weeds, that is. Not much use doing that either as I am waiting for the Roundup to take full effect. When all the weeds go yellow. one can see all the bright green of the new ones coming up.
Not a good time to try and weed in clay soil when its wet as you end up with great lumps of wet dirt.
My orchid flowers are starting to slowly open. I have 3 stems on the one that flowered last year and one stem on one that hubby bought for me a few years ago. There are two more stems on other plants but until they grow a bit, I am not sure if they are flower stems or just new shoots. .
Anthony, you will be in lilium paradise soon , when they all start to get tall and flower. Dont overdo the weeding , we dont want you getting a sore back.
Teresa, I see on the news that some people are upset about the plane cancellations but what do they expect airlines to do ? You cant fight Mother Nature.
Personally, I would not like to be flying when there is any danger of ash affecting the planes.
Pam, you are in danger of becoming a Tillandsia addict , I can see. I love mine and really want to get a few more when finances permit.
Colleen, you will need a new yard and shadehouse by the sound of things. It must be nice to have all Brians plants around as well as your own.
Charleen. I hope you have had a bit of rain and cooler weather. Give Charley a cookie and a hug.
Hello Karen, Elaine, Chrissy and everyone else looking in.
Louise, I'm so glad to see you back again. I hope your touring went well. How are the darling girls ? They will be great travellers by now.
You will be anxious to get back to your garden and see whats been going on while you were away.
Better get out in the kitchen and see whats there for nibbles.
Hmmmm, seeing I'm in chocolate mood, try these Chocolate Truffles.
Have a lovely day .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 12, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8626219

teresa,they appear to be longiflorum,.,.there are many variations to the breed ie;white fox -white pleat- judges look for the amount of green tinge in the petal when looking for champion blooms,..,the green will often fade,.,.also,there may have been another trumpet bred into them,.,. take a look at Sulphuraeum and Formosanum,to see if they resemble those you have!! anthony,..,[its cold here]
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 12, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8626268

Teresa, I have some of Anthonys L. longiflorum which dont have the green like yours.
I also grew some of the L. formosanum ( Formosa Lily) from seed. It also doesnt have the amount of green on it either , but as Anthony says, plants can have other breeds in them.
I just read a bit on the L. formasanum. It is considered a weed, apparently because it can seed over a wide area at a young age.
No wonder all my seeds grew so well and flowered quickly.
whatever your lily is, it is lovely.
This is a flower from my Formosa Lily last season.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 12, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8626386

Wet wet wet here with more to come.
Lots of accidents on the road and I too reckon you should stay on the ground when the weather and volcanoes start to play up.
All the lilies are lovely ...I might try again one day but I think they would need to live in pots here.

Don't forget the Blood Mood coming up because of the eclipse, but you will need to get up pretty early in the morning to see it.
That's on the 16th EST.

Enjoy your Holiday Monday ...don't know who has today off but here in NSW we do :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 12, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8626575

Teresa ...thinking of you and Ch Ch ...look what has just come through after yet another bad aftershock in NZ
Quote:My father was talking to an elderly Maori woman who said that legend has that one day Christchurch will be swallowed by the sea. It's actually built on the flood plain of the Waimakarere River and is essentially a swamp.

I didn't know that, have you heard this folk law? hopefully that is all it is.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 12, 2011
9:52 PM

Post #8626781

we had a fine & frosty start to the day, the men came & put the scaffolding up for the chimney deconstruction.
I took Copper for a lovely walk as they had to turn the power off while they worked.
Was sitting down just after lunch at 1pm when the house started rocking, at first just a little but then more intensely.
Poor Copper jumped up in fright & when the shaking stopped I let him out side, he was barking furiously at nothing, I think just venting after getting such a fright.
An hour and 20 minutes later I was updating facebook to let everyone know we were all ok & a magnitude 6 hit.
The house shook violently, stuff rattled & fell over, a window was shaken open a few cms.
Copper crawled behind me on the couch & wedged himself in.
No running around this time.
The red zone cordon has been extended, various shopping malls etc evacuated, workers in town close to the red zone reported the sound of falling masonry & there are clouds of dust rising again.
at least one building has collapsed & I have heard contradictory reports on whether anyone was inside & whether injuries have been sustained.
Not as bad as Feb 22 thank goodness but scary.
There have been several smaller after shocks all day but the first one I noticed was the 5.5, I felt all the small ones after that & am totally over it!
Hubby has gone to pick up his brother as the buses have stopped running & that left him trapped at work.
Apparently there have been instructions issued to avoid the central city in case of further after shocks...
no kidding, ya think!
My brother in Sydney has offered us all beds if we want to escape but we will stick around here, it may have been scary but the house is intact, we have water & power, and heating - the chimney is intact for now.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 12, 2011
10:07 PM

Post #8626793

something more appealing to look at...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 12, 2011
10:34 PM

Post #8626808

We are all thinking of you Teresa. Keep safe . Poor Copper must be so confused with all the rocking & rolling.
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

June 12, 2011
10:36 PM

Post #8626809

Teresa, you are bravier by far than me. I would have been gone long ago. Please stay safe. Colleen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

June 12, 2011
10:50 PM

Post #8626822

Teresa, I'm afraid I am too much of a coward, and would want to leave. But I heard the planes were not flying due to the ash from the volcano from Chili. Is that still on? Poor NZ is really getting knocked around this year.

Karen

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

June 13, 2011
1:21 AM

Post #8626896

Teresa just heard the news. Thinking of you and wanted to see you were OK.

Hang in there girl...things have to improve soon.

*BIG HUG*
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

June 13, 2011
1:31 AM

Post #8626900

i missed the queens honour roll again,.,...,.Whole lotta shakin goin on'Teresa,.,.stoke up the fire,now the chimney is secure and keep warm,.,.its freezing here,.,.more weed pulling today,but i did a bit of maintainance on the cars,washed all the bird poop off of the ute and will have to go out and fill up with more potting soil,.,.[i brought more bulbs],.,.,.Dalhansonii lilium,..,a fine bulb at a fine price!!!! phew!!--i thought,stuff it!-i sold $150 worth of bulbs this weekend,so,i can afford 1 dalhansonii bulb,.,.my 'rolls royce' of the lily fleet,.,.,..,Chrissy,all of my liliums are in pots,its the best way to grow them,..,i have a couple of little gardens,[for special stuff] -but you cant beat 12'' and 18'' pots--brilliant drainage!!!,.,.i cooked up pork and apple sausages for lunch and my work lunch rolls for the rest of the week and my god, they are repeating something ferocious,.,.i feel like i've achieved a lot in the garden,'this long weekend',but it worries me as to what bulb orders will arrive tomorrow,.,.,.feast or famine?,.,.i'll work something out ,.,.,.anthony
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

June 13, 2011
3:09 AM

Post #8626935

the scaffolding isn't to support the chimney...
it is for the builders (unbuilders?) to stand on while they pull the chimney down to the level of the crack that runs right the way around it.
Once they do that we lose our pellet fire.
mind you not sure how the events of today will affect the time table for the deconstruction here.
there was a lot more damage on the Eastern side again, the footage of liquifaction bubbling up was amazing.
news report tonight was saying that 50 new springs have been discovered & even some capped wells turned into geysers!
All this since last September!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 13, 2011
3:28 PM

Post #8628207

Good morning everyone. I have moved us as the path was getting way too long for my old legs.
Teresa, please stay safe over there. It must be awful to have that continuous movement. Give Copper a hug from us.
Anthony, you definitely have a "plant disease". Liliumitis, I think. It must be catching because some of us are thinking "more bulbs".
I have lots of pots in the shed. I should fill them with liliums. I should also slap myself on the wrist for even thinking of more plants.
Hubby looks at me strangely when I mention another plant arriving.
Wait until the Trash & Treasure sale later in the year when I hopefully sell lots of plants. I just may buy another bulb or two or three...
Hello Pam, Karen, Elaine, Chrissy and Marlene.
Colleen and Dianne too.
I am going to do a bit of washing so that will upset my fingers when I go to hang it out . Its freezing out there.
I had better get out something for nibbles before I wander off. Some tasty Carrot Cake.
Please take your cuppa and chair over to the new place .
We have moved to here .. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1189511/
Stay warm
Jean

This message was edited Jun 14, 2011 9:31 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8628224

Love Carrot cake with Cream cheese frosting..

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America