New concrete birdbath I made last month

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I had a rectangular birdbath made around New Year. Yet, I wanted to fulfill my dream of making a concrete birdbath on my own. To suit this plan, I had found a lampshade that had the right depth - about 2 inches in the centre.

I first took some sand and shaped the surface using the lampshade and smoothened it to the desired radius - about a foot wide. Then I spread plastic sheet on it carefully not to disturb the 'sand finish'. Now it was ready to pour concrete. After it had become hard by the next day, I removed it and turned it up. This picture shows with its bottom up. The circular design was made using the brim of plastic buckets of two sizes.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

The finished product posing with the lampshade I used for shaping the concave curvature. I made a cement paste on the second day and pasted it to the brim.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

A bit closer view.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Waiting for visitors. There were the usual Tit and Bulbul, but I was not lucky to photograph during their splashes!

Thumbnail by Dinu
Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

fabulous!!! it appears to be pretty deep, any problem with smaller birds? I'm curious what you actually did to get those ridges, you say you used different size buckets, can you elaborate on that a bit more???? thank you, Deb

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Yes, when the cement work was finished, I placed the bucket (round brim not suitable) upside down and made the circle by pressing it a bit and removing the 'debris'. Since the original brim was crude, I lined it by finishing it up with a slightly raised brim. The smaller birds did enjoy. But now again, I have reverted to the stone bath and moved this to another place near our main gate close to my stone trough to which some Mynahs and doves stop by to drink. I want them to use this one, but I don't know why they wont prefer this new one. Will post a photo in the evening, Deb. The depth is just about two inches in the centre.

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

the picture looks to be much deeper in the middle....2 inches is ok...you really have done an outstanding job....will be watching for the new picture.....Deb

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Three days ago, I moved it here. We gardeners are adept at moving things around at our whim and fancy, aren't we?
Thanks Deb. That's an old sanitary pipe (almost 70 years old) on which it is resting.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

looks perfect....thank you for sharing...you've inspired me to get busy again...we are having so much rain it's hard to be interested...other than looking at pictures...LOL...Deb

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Monsoon rains are about to arrive very shortly and it will all be wet and soggy. I hope it wont affect the new house construction work that is in progress just behind our present old house. Birds wont need the splashes as it would also signal the end of summer.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great job Dinu! With a bit of age it will look as though it has been there forever.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Beautifully done!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thanks. I also wish that its purpose will be served.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I like it on the pipe, looks like they were made for each other. My bird bath is quite welcomed by the birds and squirrel right now since we are in a drought. I have to add water to it everyday. A nice thing to have in your yard for the critters when water is scarce. Thanks for sharing your project Dinu.

Kind of blurry pic I attached of a squirrel taking a sip out of my birdbath...I was taking the pic from inside my screen porch.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I guess you made that mosaic birdbath, sunkissed. Looks like it is quite wide too. Beautiful.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh no, I wish I was that crafty...Ii didn't make that..it is store bought....many years ago...but glad I did, never seen anything like it since.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Mmmm, if not made by you, someone has made it *for you*! Indeed it is unique.

Crossville, TN

I Love it, Dinu....all I have for a bird bath is the "saucer" that goes under a big plastic planter...but the birds enjoy it as it is the only water close by. Jo

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

My new b/bath is not being used. :( The birds are used to the spot where I've kept the stone b/bath. But I'll be patient. Let me see - even if it is 6 months wait! I'd be happy even if a dove or myna sees it and drinks from it as I diligently fill it often. They prefer the stone trough I have placed nearby which can be seen in my above picture.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Dinu, you sure have a great eye for design! I'm sure the birds will discover your birdbath soon. You know how they are about new things.
A lampshade for a concrete mold--brilliant!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thanks.... by using that lampshade, I've got a near perfect concavity!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images