If you had to choose just one...

Pleasant Grove, UT

I thought a lot last evening about if I had to choose just one hosta to grow what would it be. I couldn't choose just one but narrowed it down to 2....Great Expectations and Liberty. I grow 5 GEs and 3 L. What would you choose? Here are some of my two favorites. Here is GE

Thumbnail by Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

Another GE

Thumbnail by Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

A younger GE

Thumbnail by Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

GE

Thumbnail by Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

Liberty

Thumbnail by Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

Another Liberty

Thumbnail by Paul2063
Pleasant Grove, UT

Liberty again

Thumbnail by Paul2063
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Sagae...or maybe June....lol!

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

My Samual Blue. 7' wide x 3' tall.

Thumbnail by franknjim
Ottawa, Canada

Are you kidding, Paul? You're having a bit of fun here! To me this question is like asking a human being to choose between oxygen and water. Anyway, if I had to answer I would choose "Liberty' because GE takes so much longer to deliver on its promise. In return I would like you to answer, which hosta you would buy if the choice were between 'Climax' and 'Satisfaction'.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Great pics. But I'm with irawon. I have one Great Expectations, have never divided it and it's still not a huge plant. Very nice, yes, but not overly large. While my Liberty is in it's 3rd year and is already attracting attention. Will get some new pics tomorrow, I hope. Just got back from 4 days out of town.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Right now I would say 'London Fog'. By the time this picture downloads I will have changed my mind!

Thumbnail by Rose1656
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Oooh! Nice!

Ottawa, Canada

Rose, your reply is really apropos to my experience today at a local nursery while trying to decide which hostas to pick for my new hosta bed. I didn't buy 'London Fog' because it has so little green colouring and because the price tag for an experimental specimen in my garden would not have been objectively prudent. Have you had "London Fog' for long? Your zone is the same as mine.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

irawon,

I've had it for 3 or 4 years and love it! It greens up a little thru the summer. The whole leaf looks like the middle of 'Allegan Fog'. Very pretty and small.

Rose

Pleasant Grove, UT

irawon....I do not grow Climax and just planted a small Satisfaction last fall so it is to small to judge. I like the pictures of both but would probably choose Satisfaction again. In one of the more recent AHS Journals there was an article which called a garden with many variegated hostas a 'convention of clowns" and in general suggested a garden with many solid colored plants and just a few variegated as accent plants was superior. I guess I am not politically correct as I have very few solid hosta. I like them fine but give me a choice and I will take variegation any time. I will never have as good taste as the editor of the journal but I plant to please one person, me. Visitors seem to like the garden also.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Paul,

My thoughts exactly! I have many variegated and streaked ones in my beds. So far, nobody has complained about my gardens being unattractive! And, like you, I plant for my own satisfaction.

Rose

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I can't choose. It's too hard. Every time I go out in the yard, one hosta will catch my attention as being "the one" - but it's never the same one every time.

My very first hosta up every year that comes up and is big weeks before the others is my favorite for the first month of hosta season - it's Clifford's Forest Fire. Then my attention turns to my huge 2 NOID blues, and Landfall (NR). Then it's on to Ghost Spirit and Golden Meadows for their amazing coloring. And finally Dick Ward because it stays so bright all summer long. But I have so many hostas that have hit that magical fourth summer now that every day there is something new that I say is my favorite.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

you people have beautiful Hostas and here are mine but now Liberty is on my top wish list

Kaleem

Paul's Glory

Thumbnail by gumlla

Fire and Ice

Thumbnail by gumlla

Great Expectations

Thumbnail by gumlla

June

Thumbnail by gumlla

Queen Jaquline ( If I speel right)

Thumbnail by gumlla

And You all can seen all of My Hostas BUT

Paul2063
Your Liberty made me crazy.

Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla

And this is unknown, Please ID if any body knows?

Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Is that last one whiter in the centre when it first emerges? Looks to me like it MIGHT be a 'Whirlwind'.

If I had to choose just one, 'Jewel of the Nile' would be near the top of the list (although maybe after 'Liberty').

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Pleasant Grove, UT

gumlla.....thanks so much for posting pictures of your wonderful hosta. Several are among my favorites also. I think the one you called Queen Jaquline looks like my Queen Josephine. Viola Ann...I've always wanted Jewel of the Nile but haven't got it yet. Maybe next spring.

Paul2063
Thank you and you are right that is Queen Josephine.

ViolaAnn
Yes the center of that unknown Hoasta was whiter and with the passage of time and heat it changed to light green. Thanks for the name.

Kaleem

Another unknown

Thumbnail by gumlla
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I don't know this year my Parhelion has really caught my eye. It has grown so much over the winter! I think it doubled the size. Just love the size and color. Really reminds me a lot of my Solar Eclipse. (like that one too. But I also have a sagae (just found out last year the name) Love that one too. Oh! Thats right only one.... two..... three!

Thumbnail by gardenlady123
Ottawa, Canada

Thanks for your answer Paul. I ended up choosing "Satisfaction' as well.

Baltimore, OH(Zone 6a)

Jewel of the Nile and Snake Eyes. Jewel of the Nile is growing in some sun and has gone from small to huge in two years. I don't see any sports on it. Here is a picture of Snake Eyes, a sport of Strip Tease.

Thumbnail by poplarcreek
Pleasant Grove, UT

I need to add one more,,,Orange Marmalade

Thumbnail by Paul2063
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I like that 'Snake Eyes'.

Wyoming, MN

Ann
Off topic, but you mentioned getting a plant from Sandy. She has not posted in quite some time. Is all well with her?

Gary

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Gary - Sandy's garden is included in a BIG Car rally-garden tour - 2-day event next weekend. I think she's been really busy getting it ready. http://www.gardenmaking.com/ottawa-botanical-garden/

I'll see her next Sunday as I've agreed to be one of the volunteers at her garden but if she's been into town, it's been the west end only. Her one trip out this way, she didn't manage to get by to get the 2 plants I have for her.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I like Snake Eyes, too. Is it available to the public, or just private collectors? Might have to Google that one!

I see it's a Fox Fire hosta. Will have to put that on my want list next year.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2011 3:42 PM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I have a Gypsy Rose that doesn't look much like it should, but one of the eyes is beginning to look a bit like Snake Eyes. Do you supposed I might get my own sport that is very similar? :-)

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

interesting thread - paul my tastes are similiar - spring time orange marmalade is my favorite until it fades - then liberty - great expectations is not that large here yet - i also like the var. hosta - although a good blue like mohegan is nice too.

of couse as i wander the yard i will see touch of class or kiwi full monty and think they are a favorite - there too are many:)

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Fickle Blue Genes has a new eye this year, but it's doing some weird stuff! The new eye is the one in front with a lot of cream in it. It's pretty so I hope it makes it. Should I divide it and see what happens, or just leave it alone?

Rose

Thumbnail by Rose1656
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Looks like it might be trying to stabilize into a plant with blue margins. I think I would leave it because with that much white it's likely to be a slower grower than the rest of the plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.