Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: rain stops garden club visit, but can't stop a cyber visit!

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 52, Views: 338
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8595267

My husband, myslef and a good friend all put in a big effort to get the gardens looking gorgeous for the local garden club, who were supposed to visit today. Mother Nature decided everything needed a water, and she forgot to turn off the tap, so the visit has been cancelled. I braved the rain anyway to take a few pics to share with you, because who knows how long it will be, before we ever have it this tidy, all at once, again?
Enjoy
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8595272

some of thear as they could be, due to low light, but you'll all get the idea. Also, I might be called away at any moment, so I'll catch up with the pics when I get back.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8595276

ok, must have text for the photo to post I guess.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8595279

yup, that worked

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8595280

disguising the bio cycle

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8595282

looking to the east

Thumbnail by weed_woman

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 29, 2011

Post #8595283

lol Sue. I hope your friend at least scored a good feed for their troubles. hehehe

I'd kill for your verandah. :)
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011

Post #8595284

one of my favourite little patches

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8595286

Pam, I promised her some help in her garden should she ever need it. I did make her a cuppa and some bikkies, so she didn't go home starving. This area scrubbed up so well, it was very neglected.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8595289

The red hot pokers are providing a feed for the local nectar eating birds!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8595290

the pathway looking back west

Thumbnail by weed_woman

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 29, 2011

Post #8595291

Ah, I initially thought we were only getting just the first photo as a tease - went back after I posted and there were a heap more. Your (beautifully tidy) place is beautiful.

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011

Post #8595295

I love the crotons. I grew them from cuttings!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:13 PM

Post #8595297

Thanks pam, its really nice to walk around, even if you have to wear gumboots and carry an umbrella.
The boat pond. Yes, it does have fish in it, and frogs

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8595300

looking across the dam to the brom gardens. There was a huge effort put in here. (thanks again Belinda)

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8595302

I'll have the whole thing this full one day

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011

Post #8595303

A nice place to relax and have a cuppa

Thumbnail by weed_woman

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 29, 2011

Post #8595304

Then I went back and there were more pics again. Cool! Thanks for the 'visit' Sue. It's all lovely. In the pic behind the plow - the red hot pokers post, is that a dam/pond in there? Is it landscaped?

EDIT

Don't bother to answer that Sue ... you already did.lol

This message was edited May 30, 2011 10:17 AM
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8595309

Hi Pam, no, beyond the hot poker/plough garden is the east front corner of the block, and a huge gravel driveway for my husbands truck, but there is some more landscaping there, but didn't quite get to tidying that part up, so you won't be seeing it today! he he
the garden bed where Leisas plants are residing

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8595312

looking back down to the front of the property

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:19 PM

Post #8595315

the bromeliad shadehouse

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8595318

beside the pool. i don't believe it, i actually got them all on before being disturbed or logged out! I might get out and take a few more if the clouds lift a bit.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8595319

I'd kill for your verandah AND your nice flat-sided dam, Sue. Ours has walls that block the view.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8595327

Pam, I wish I could do something really pretty with that dam, with water lilies e.t.c, but really, its a big dog swimming hole, and they will pull anything floating on the water right out. I had a floating crocodile head that lasted a week!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8595328

A quick pic to show you the layout. This is a few years old, but the dam is up behind the shed and the hot pokers are along the front fence on the bottom right.
Mmm, guess you can't really see either of those! The dam is there, but it doesn't show up. Maybe it was a dry year and it was half empty?

This message was edited May 30, 2011 11:26 AM

Thumbnail by weed_woman

gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 29, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8595350

We'd love to put waterlilies and the like in ours too Sue, but the few times we've tried they were demolished by snails literally overnight. Given that it was unlikely to have held any water for a number of years before we fixed it I'm amazed that they (the snails) are there.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

May 29, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8595473

A very neat garden. I esp. love the black Alocasia and the crotons.

springer99

springer99
Queensland
Australia

May 29, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8595504

Wow Sue, you have a beautiful place and absolutely lovely gardens, wow I would love to own such a property, truly amazing and something I can only dream of. Thanks so much for sharing the photos :)
Tash
Oh had to make mention of one particular photo, the boat, that is just brilliant, love that idea, never seen it before :)
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 29, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8595522

Beautiful Sue. Such a lot of hard work but the rewards are many. Leisa's garden is looking great. Thanks for sharing. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 29, 2011
9:35 PM

Post #8595744

Can I come and live in your shed, Sue ?? I just love the colors. I should take a pic out and show mine what they should look like.
Be very proud of yourself .
Jean.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
10:54 PM

Post #8595812

So, Pam, is that watersnails that ate your lillies? We get a small grub that cuts off part of the lily leaf, then pulls it over themselves. It leaves all the lily pads looking mangy, so we pick them off one by one and feed them to the fish (this is in the boat pond of course)
I took another pic toward the hot pokers so you can see the lay of the land by the truck driveway.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
10:56 PM

Post #8595815

Thanks for your comments bree. The black alocasia is one of my favourites too. I might devide it in spring and put a few more here and there.
Here is hubbys shed. Its a monster so I tried to soften it with some gardens

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
10:58 PM

Post #8595817

Tash, thank you for the kind words. I have to admit, I did see the boat idea somewhere else, but I do think that mine went a step further than the original. Its a very contemplative part of the garden, as you can feed the fish and count frogs to while away the time
This is the dam, and just beyond it is our fenceline, so we borrow a little of our neighbours views.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
11:00 PM

Post #8595821

Colleen, I wish you could come see it in person. Maybe next time you get to Brisbane for a family vist, we might get you down for a few days?
Looking toward the front, through the gazebo, with my sales plant shade house to the left

This message was edited May 30, 2011 5:00 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
11:02 PM

Post #8595824

Jean, once upon a time we were going to section off part of the shed as accomodation, but it was all very involved. if we ever do, you can come to stay! It does get a little warm in there through summer though!
A little bit of garden along a pathway. I love this Justicia, and there is the gold one to the left of it, with buds on. How long do i have to wait to see them open? I took these as cuttings also.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
11:04 PM

Post #8595829

The Aechmea garden, which is the newest addition to the layout. It needs a little finishing, and I am debating planting the bromeliads properly, as their positions mostly suit.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 29, 2011
11:06 PM

Post #8595832

Well folks, thats it for today. I hope you enjoyed the tour. It was really good to work in the garden with a friend instead of on my own, and it really didn't take much to glam it up at this time of the year. The club might be able to plan another visit in August, so we'll cross our fingers for some dry weather then.
Happy gardening
Sue

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 29, 2011
11:30 PM

Post #8595851

Gee Sue I am sorry to hear that ...I heard on the radio that Coff's was copping it bad, it's pretty hairy down this way too.
Cold and Windy pelting rain, some people got hail, so far we haven't.
Well I guess the garden is looking beautiful so at least you can console yourself with that.
I am off for a look now, just wanted to pop and and commiserate :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 29, 2011
11:40 PM

Post #8595855

Oh it's looking amazing Sue Congrats!

Love the black Elephant ears what are they called?
Everything looked so colourful and neat, I have said it before ...you should have some sort of tea room or something there just for tourists and Brom fans, I think they would flock to your lovely place.
Thanks so much for the tour ...you had the cyber garden mob in today and it was a huge success!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 30, 2011
12:15 AM

Post #8595874

WOW!
Sue the gardens looked good last October but in these pics - immaculate!
I showed Baz & was impressed he spotted the new pathway & garden straight away.
And I thought he only had eyes for the mechanical delights of the shed...
What a shame the garden tour was cancelled but I enjoyed the cyber tour & seeing everything again as well as getting to see the new garden which is really coming away nicely.
brombirdie
Brisbane
Australia

May 30, 2011
12:19 AM

Post #8595877

Wow Sue, your garden is looking absolutely beautiful, like something out of Better Homes and Gardens. You have such an eye for putting the right things in the right places. Can't wait to come down again and see all the changes. Does the Garden Club have an email address? Perhaps you could send them the cybervisit so they can see what they missed out on. Jen
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 30, 2011
12:34 AM

Post #8595882

weed_woman wrote:So, Pam, is that watersnails that ate your lillies? .

Yup! Weird little elongated black things. We get lots of frogs etc in there ( and the hounds swim in there of course} so we don't want to put anything nasty in there to try to combat the snails. Nature will just have to take care of them. In the meantime, I'm not feeding them any more snacks at over $20 a pop.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 30, 2011
1:06 AM

Post #8595950

Sue, such a pleasure to look through these pics. A credit to you and all your work.

Karen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 30, 2011
1:36 AM

Post #8595990

sue,best made plans are there to be tested,.,.''duzzen matter''-just send these pics to the garden club,.,.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 30, 2011
1:39 PM

Post #8597357

Thank you for posting these pics of your garden Sue. Sad that your open day was spoilt by the weather - next time! I can see lots of hard work and love of garden in every pic. A credit to you and an inspiration to us all here. Congratulations Sue!

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

splinter1804
shellharbour
Australia

May 30, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8597547

Hi Sue,

What can I say that hasn't already been said except WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!

Sue your garden is magnificent and looks more like a state owned and run botanical garden and what talent you must have to be able to design and build a garden like that yourself.

That garden bed with the old single furrow plough in it certainly brings back memories. I can remember them and the dual furrow ploughs being pulled by draught horses around the farm paddocks when I was a boy, a loooooong time ago.

I was even allowed to have a go at a single furrow plough once when I was about 12. The farmer made it look so easy and I reckoned the horse did all the work anyway so why not. How wrong I was, and as soon as we started, it tipped over on its side and I then realised just what hard work it was just to keep it upright and steer it at the same time. Much easier the following year ploughing with a tractor.

In one of the pic's you said "I'll have the whole thing this full one day", Well if you need brom's to fill it, just hook up a trailer and come and see me with your cheque book, 20% off for friends + bonus plants as well for bulk orders, Ha! Ha!

Just be warned, if you should ever make it down here to my place, don't expect anything like that or you'll be very, very, disappointed.

Thanks for sharing your garden with us

All the best Nev.

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 30, 2011
3:42 PM

Post #8597608

Well shucks, you guys! I'm thrilled you all have such nice things to say. It made all the work worth while, and like Chrissy said, I can console myself with having a nice looking garden. Would you believe it, but today has started just gorgeous? Sunny, a bit nippy, but really lovely. I've already had a stroll around in it, and might have a bit of morning tea in a sunny spot somewhere.
Chrissy, the black elephant ears are called 'Black magic' Alocasia, I believe. They get a fair bit of water in that spot, as they are over one of the biocycle pump out holes. I put the tiniest peice in! I would love to run something in the garden, as it would be nice to stay at home and earn a keep.
Theresa, its good that you've been here already, as you have an idea of the layout, and can see the changes. I'm glad baz is more observant than we thought! he he
Pam, I can see how the snail food price would turn you off! Maybe there are some type of native fish that will eat the snails?
Thank you Karen, I haven't seen you about much lately. Are you ok? I hope thers a nice sunny spot in your yard for warming up on these cooler days?
Jen, thats a good idea! i'll ask the organiser if thats possible, or maybe put the pics on a disc so they can do a slide show or something. Maybe I can go with it and do a little talk?
Anthony, shouldn't it be 'Dozen matter'? he he
Thanks wayne, but I believe your garden has been a bit inspirational to some of us here too! I wouldn't mind a little look in yours!
Nev, I just might take you up on that visit. I have a van, so you'd better start getting them ready! Although, theres not much in the cheque book these days! he he. That poor old plough is not going to be around for too many more years, as its starting to rust quite badly, but I'm not going to try and save it, as the oil/grease woiuld be bad for the garden anyway.
Well, I'm going out to bask in the sun for a moment, and once again, thansk all for your kind words. It made it all worthwhile!
Sue

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 30, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8597614

Absolutely Gorgeous...Sue, I can't imagine why you didn't swap your house to me for that boat you wanted last year...why would you want to keep THAT house and garden...congrats on creating something very beautiful.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 30, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8597816

weed_woman wrote:
Pam, I can see how the snail food price would turn you off! Maybe there are some type of native fish that will eat the snails?

Between the marsh snakes, the kookaburras and the white-faced herons, anything that survives in there is incredibly fortunate, Sue. We did put some rainbow fish in there at one stage but it went nearly dry afterward and there was no sign of them. It was horrible to see the poor tadpoles splashing around in literally a puddle of mud, with the heron there getting himself an easy feed, so I rescued the few that were there and kept them in a big waterpot until it rained and rained and rained about a week later.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 31, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8599637

Pam, I put some Blue eyes fish (apparently native) ina pond to eat the mossies, and never saw them again! So I replaced them with gold fish, which have procreated and thrived! Not suggesting you do that of course. I guess when you get the heavy rains, it probably flushes the pondlife down the waterways. We had a Heron fishing in the boat pond for awhile, but once the dogs realised it was visiting, they staked it out and scared it off enough times that it didn't come back. They also stake out kookaburras, but hopefully they have the sense to stay away from visitng snakes!
Wind and rain here all night. There might be some new photos today, and possibly not as good looking as mondays!
Sue
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

May 31, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8599655

Thank you Dianne! You'll have to remind me which boat! I may just swap you yet.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

May 31, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8599785

weed_woman wrote: There might be some new photos today,

That would be lovely Sue! I thought briefly about following suit this morning, but I'd have to do the weeding and tidying up that you did for the garden club, so thought better of it. :]

Pam

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

June 1, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8603061

Well, the wind is still blowing and the rain is on and off. theres been a few bigger branches down, but only a coleus bush was a bit battered and its going to start looking shabby soon, with the cold anyway. No point in more photos. Pam, its actually a nice feeling to know the majority of the hard work is done, and it was really nice to have help. Maybe you can ask some gardening buddies for lunch, and give them all a pair of gloves and a bucket, or as in my case, a pair of BBQ tongs (good for cleaning leaves out of the centre of the broms) I found it really good to have a bit of company while working.
Sue

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America