Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: Favorite English and Antique Roses

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 1, Views: 139
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BakerCreekSeed
Mansfield, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2001
5:38 AM

Post #1801

Hi!
I have just read 2 books on English and Antique Roses, and was wondering which varieties do well, and would make good plants to display out in front our Store?

Any Favorites?

Thanks,
Jere
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2001
12:20 PM

Post #54605

Hi,
I can only talk about what I have, and warn you that I'm not a fanatic about blackspot, aphids or other minor ailments. I have a most incredible rugosa that has double deep rose blossoms almost constantly through the summer; a Harison's yellow that blooms early and once, but is VERY sweet; a pimpenellifolia (Sctch briar or Burnet) that has
beauriful little pink blossoms very early that turn grey (not gray) in a couple of days; 4 R. gallicas: Apothecary, Versicolor, Tuscany and a dark pink; an alba with a tink of peach; a couple of old teas; FJ Grootendorst and it's pink sister - prolific all season bloomers; a centifolia that's there and gone; Seven Sisters, or one of the impersonators thereof; a spinossisma ( another Scotch relative); one we call the blasted rose, because that's what most of the buds do; Davis Austin's Othello and Graham Thomas; a floribunda named America's Choice; a red rambler, a pink ramble, a white climber, a pink climber and a couple of others that slip my mind.
Favorites?? The gallicas do suffer blackspot profusely, but bloom like they mean it for two or three weeeks. The rugosa and Grootendorst are reliable and sometimes give me buds at Thanksgiving - no mean trick up here. The David Austins are ok, pretty and prolific, but a little fussy. I love the Harison's and the pink Scotch briar, the spinosissima that we call Buttercream - even the blasted rose because when she blooms, it is a sight to behold. I guess that would be a no - no favorites!
Kathleen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America